Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Now I'm annoyed by how many completely new players there are. I sometimes get on VoIP and give tips, but yesterday, I tried to ask our squad leader to mark some flags, and about five minutes later (maybe when he looked up his push to talk key) he shouted "nobody cares!" :smith:

Psh, guess he means he doesn't care about ranking up and unlocking cooler weapons. :colbert:

I wish there was a toggle in BF games that was "Never Be Squad Leader". I just don't want to be in that position where I'm making GBS threads up someones elses session because I'm not setting waypoints or giving orders. But with people dropping in and out of squads, eventually you get promoted to squad leader, and as rare is it may be, some people are then looking to you for direction.

It doesn't help either that setting attack points is a single click of the same key as spotting, so when I'm spotting I'm constantly ping-ponging the waypoint around the map as my cursor inevitably drifts over a capture point while I was trying to spot someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
The light tank flanker kit is devastating, the autocannon mulches through tanks and its secondary is rapidfire canister rounds. :stare:

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I wish there was a toggle in BF games that was "Never Be Squad Leader". I just don't want to be in that position where I'm making GBS threads up someones elses session because I'm not setting waypoints or giving orders. But with people dropping in and out of squads, eventually you get promoted to squad leader, and as rare is it may be, some people are then looking to you for direction.

It doesn't help either that setting attack points is a single click of the same key as spotting, so when I'm spotting I'm constantly ping-ponging the waypoint around the map as my cursor inevitably drifts over a capture point while I was trying to spot someone.

Whenever I am squad lead I am constantly resetting waypoints but nobody follows them anyway so it doesn't really matter!

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

fuf posted:

what are the things you can drop as a horsey man? are they just health and ammo packs?

Yep, that is exactly what those are. You can do the same thing with light tanks as well.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Delacroix posted:

The light tank flanker kit is devastating, the autocannon mulches through tanks and its secondary is rapidfire canister rounds. :stare:

I'm pretty sure that's a visual glitch, I had the rapid fire canister rounds but it didn't actually kill the people I was aiming at.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

rap music posted:

Whenever I am squad lead I am constantly resetting waypoints but nobody follows them anyway so it doesn't really matter!

I follow them cause the points are insane!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Dang, you have a lot of shaders and details turned off there. My game'd look completely different.

I'm actually wondering how people see each other in the sandstorm at lower details because I get killed way more often by people I can't see in it.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

afkmacro posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a visual glitch, I had the rapid fire canister rounds but it didn't actually kill the people I was aiming at.

My experience has been more fulfilling. It's finicky to aim in third person but it will kill infantry in 2-3 shells if you treat it as a vehicle mounted shotgun. I had a round where I went 40-0 and nope, even with all flags captured you can't close a 30 point gap in the last minute because :dice: idiotic ticket system.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

Dang, you have a lot of shaders and details turned off there. My game'd look completely different.

I'm actually wondering how people see each other in the sandstorm at lower details because I get killed way more often by people I can't see in it.

No man that's on Ultra. Might be compression and the fact that it's indoors.

Delacroix posted:

My experience has been more fulfilling. It's finicky to aim in third person but it will kill infantry in 2-3 shells if you treat it as a vehicle mounted shotgun. I had a round where I went 40-0 and nope, even with all flags captured you can't close a 30 point gap in the last minute because :dice: idiotic ticket system.

I gotta try it again then, sounds like I was aiming too far maybe. New point system isn't great either. We'll see how it plays with longer rounds.

afkmacro fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Sep 2, 2016

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
What is with the Light Tank Howitzers main gun? I mean, I know you need to lob your shots, but if you shoot straight ahead the shell goes maybe 10 feet.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

As far as sniping in concerned, it will get better over time. Sniping is fun (and I hate that recon exists at all) but I don't find them actually that threatening. To be honest grab the Gewehr Rifleman and run at points should to shoulder firing flash or spot flares and provide med range support. Has a virtually instant bolt pull, zero deviation and your sight picture stays on target. Plus, no scope glint!

Yeah, I unlocked this last night and while I'm still not getting MLG level K:D ratios, it's fun as gently caress to use. Thanks!

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

A step backwards from BF4. There you can set it so that you only set orders through the commo rose. Also, if you request an order and the squad leader does not respond with an order, after a while, you are automatically promoted to squad leader. And that is a real points piñata.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

A step backwards from BF4. There you can set it so that you only set orders through the commo rose. Also, if you request an order and the squad leader does not respond with an order, after a while, you are automatically promoted to squad leader. And that is a real points piñata.

Speaking of which the new commo rose is terrible.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The gigantic artillery cannon on the train is cool but I wish the camera didn't zoom out to follow the shell every single time

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
If you aren't blowing your whistle the entire round, you are failing as a Squad Leader.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPtVNDvwGMo&t=110s

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Mordja posted:

Maybe it's a netcode thing for everyone having trouble with it, but I am loving the heavy shotgun now that I know it's a slug, not buckshot. You just gotta realize it's range is still fairly limited, close to mid, so you won't be sniping snipers, but it hits like a brick, is nearly hitscan at its effective range, and sounds like the Apocalypse when it fires.

The 1hk range is shorter than the buckshot though. Unless an arm hit doesn't one hit at point blank range, but even then the buckshot probably would.

You're using the Factory, which is buckshot. He's talking about the Heavy that fires a slug

also, no pink crosshair? come on

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 2, 2016

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Heavy shotgun is awful if only for the reason it has some goofy rear end sight on it.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I like the chatter the UK soldiers have while running around. Also, if there's no Black Watch uniform that I can unlock, I'll be disappointed.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

Heavy shotgun is awful if only for the reason it has some goofy rear end sight on it.

I think the weapons we have now are just a preset, you'll be able to customise them in the full game so you could get slugs with a different sight technically. The circle crosshair you get is loving poo poo though, dunno why we've regressed, BC2 used to give you a proper one if you put slugs on

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
It's a shotgun in WW1, why does it need to have a sight on it at all?

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Any protips for bomber sights? Do the bombs always land in the middle of the crosshair?

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Zephirum posted:

Any protips for bomber sights? Do the bombs always land in the middle of the crosshair?

Also, how to bomber sight? I press 3 and nothing happens.

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

rap music posted:

Also, how to bomber sight? I press 3 and nothing happens.

Right click, apparently. It's on a gyroscope so you won't know i you're nosediving into the side of a cliff until it's too late.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Captain Beans posted:

argh I wish they would make the unscoped bolt rifles all class weapons so I could use the gw95 on every loadout, it would even be very ww1 ish

Same, It'd be nice in the finished game if everyone started got a factory standard bolt action rifle, carbine or shotgun.

Handsome Ralph posted:

I like the chatter the UK soldiers have while running around. Also, if there's no Black Watch uniform that I can unlock, I'll be disappointed.

As long as you don't mind wearing a khaki kilt now, you'll be in hog heaven. If the UK Assault is a Gurka for the non european maps, he'd better get a Kukri as a melee weapon!

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

They aren't doing all-class weapons for class differentiation purposes. They don't want to give assaults access to mid-long range weapons.
This is one of my favorite changes from BF4 where everyone could use carbines and DMRs.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
The horn on one of the armored cars is obnoxious as gently caress so naturally I drive around the map leaning on it forever.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

sarmhan posted:

They aren't doing all-class weapons for class differentiation purposes. They don't want to give assaults access to mid-long range weapons.
This is one of my favorite changes from BF4 where everyone could use carbines and DMRs.

I'm sure they can tweak a carbine version of the rifle to be a short to mid ranged power house in exchange to being limited to a handful of rounds and no attachments.

I don't mind now, seeing as the Scout will get a selection of close, medium and long range scope.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Captain Beans posted:

argh I wish they would make the unscoped bolt rifles all class weapons so I could use the gw95 on every loadout, it would even be very ww1 ish
Yes this needs to happen. Running around with the gw95 is giving me COD:UO flashbacks and I love it.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Handsome Ralph posted:

I'll be disappointed if they put the french in and I can't wear the 1914 uniform

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

The 1hk range is shorter than the buckshot though. Unless an arm hit doesn't one hit at point blank range, but even then the buckshot probably would.

You're using the Factory, which is buckshot. He's talking about the Heavy that fires a slug

also, no pink crosshair? come on

1. I didn't know heavy = slugs or factory = buckshot. I know Strangelove posted that info but I wish it were ingame.
2. I didn't know you could change crosshair colors. Can you change the crosshair shapes? I hate the defaults.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

sarmhan posted:

They don't want to give assaults access to mid-long range weapons.

That's really awkward that they gave the anti tank rifle to the Assault and not the Support, then.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Who's a mumble Admin I may message to get back into CTS?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
What locational damage can you do to a tank by the way? I know you can knock off the track, but it's the only one I've seen. I seem to recall videos showing the player blast literal holes in the armor but never ingame.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I really want to get into some honest to goodness trench warfare with this game. I've seen the e3/alpha footage of the other map but have they shown any straight up "Zig-zags and no mans lands" maps? I feel like a lot of these weapons would do much better in situations like that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

pnutz posted:

I'll be disappointed if they put the french in and I can't wear the 1914 uniform

Same, don't deny us those wonderful red trousers and kepi.

I like to think why there is a big gap between DLC development time and the cost is that they'll be bringing a few early war maps and models for not just the French and Russians, but the Germans and a few other factions.

Crain posted:

I really want to get into some honest to goodness trench warfare with this game. I've seen the e3/alpha footage of the other map but have they shown any straight up "Zig-zags and no mans lands" maps? I feel like a lot of these weapons would do much better in situations like that.

I'd get Verdun on sale possibly still on STEAM right now, I don't think the Battlefield combined arms style of gameplay would even work with that sort of warfare.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Crain posted:

I really want to get into some honest to goodness trench warfare with this game. I've seen the e3/alpha footage of the other map but have they shown any straight up "Zig-zags and no mans lands" maps?

That reminds me of the HL1 mod The Trenches. All bolt-action, all the time, but attacking a trench was just thrilling.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

Who's a mumble Admin I may message to get back into CTS?

Post in the CTS thread in PGS.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I don't know if it was the server I was on last night or what but I had a totally different experience with the shotgun. Close range and mid range I couldn't kill any with it. The Slug shotty was even worse. It's like the slugs had an effective range of less than a foot.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

afkmacro posted:

1. I didn't know heavy = slugs or factory = buckshot. I know Strangelove posted that info but I wish it were ingame.
2. I didn't know you could change crosshair colors. Can you change the crosshair shapes? I hate the defaults.

Yeah it's dumb you can't tell. I only figured it out because I couldn't understand why I got zero hit stars on some guy I had lined up at short range on a full mag. I fired it at the wall on the next respawn and only 1 decal comes up. afaik they're just presets anyway and you can customise every part of them in the full game. I don't know if that will change the name or if certain parts will be limited to the factory or heavy presets or what

I cant see anything to change the shapes. Don't forget to change your headshot colour to something different as well so you know when you headshot a dude 3 times and he doesnt die :negative: your headshot colour also comes up if you hit tank tracks or the wings on the planes

Is anyone elses heavy tank sensitivity hosed up on the main gun? It's tied to the vehicle sensitivity like all the others, but it doesn't had it's own slider in the advanced tab. I have to put it super low, like 2%, for it not to be insanely fast, but then even at 200% this fucks up the airplane sensitivity. The tank main gun zoom has it's own sensitivity though??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Is there any indication of your progress to leveling each class? My soldier rank is level 12 but I'm still rank 0 in each class, and I can't find an XP bar anywhere.