Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Booky posted:

It might just be the way his VA is saying it, but I keep hearing Duke as saying Double Harken instead. :psyduck: That's a really cool catch though!!

The word is ハーケン in Japanese. Transliterating, it's haaken. The thing is, both harken (US variant of hearken, meaning to listen/to give heed) and haken (which is pronounced with an elongated a sound) would be written as ハーケン in Japanese. However, we're so used to hearing that missing r that we automatically add it when we hear an elongated 'a' in Japanese. Listen closely to the audio, Duke's VA doesn't pronounce an 'r' sound, but if you're not listening carefully, you'll hear it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

MechaCrash posted:

It was probably cut from the game for reasons of time, but one of the things that happened in the show when Masato was hauled in was "he saw his parents being paid off for raising him, at which point they told him that it was just a job and they walk off." They did this right in front of his cell. And they did it on purpose.

Last Guardian wanted to set all new records for lovely pilot treatment. :v:

: See, it's stuff like this why we're not together anymore.
: Nonsense - it helps build character. For instance...
: We've read about your studies in the US. I'm afraid your scholarships are gone and you're also blacklisted in all research institutes.
: What?!
: We just had a chat with Danbei and Hikaru. They're very angry because you killed all their horses.
: I did no such thing! Why do they think that?!
: Because we told them. Also, apropos of nothing, horse meat is very tasty.
: Next, you're all indicted for child endangerment. They'll be taking your sister into foster care.
: Linda just called. She wanted you to know that there's a new man in her life... me.
: The hell?!
: And we're taking away your pilot license on account of covering for your partner's substance abuse... and indecent exposure.
: B-But I...!
: Stop, drat it! You're ruining them!
: I'll have you know that I've a great track record creating pilot development programs. A client of mine has reported tremendous success with my plans.
: Yes, they're excellent.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Guy Fawkes posted:

Surely a great power match, but it'd lack the :smuggo: Vs. :smuggo: factor.....

You forget manga Hayato.

heavybassX
Jul 27, 2016

Brunom1 posted:

: See, it's stuff like this why we're not together anymore.
: Nonsense - it helps build character. For instance...
: We've read about your studies in the US. I'm afraid your scholarships are gone and you're also blacklisted in all research institutes.
: We just had a chat with Danbei and Hikaru. They're very angry because you killed all their horses.
: I did no such thing! Why do they think that?!
: Because we told them. Also, apropos of nothing, horse meat is very tasty.
: Next, you're all indicted for child endangerment. They'll be taking your sister into foster care.
: Linda just called. She wanted you to know that there's a new man in her life... me.
: The hell?!
: And we're taking away your pilot license on account of covering for your partner's substance abuse... and indecent exposure.
: B-But I...!
: Stop, drat it! You're ruining them!
: I'll have you know that I've a great track record creating pilot development programs. A client of mine has reported tremendous success with my plans.
: Yes, they're excellent.

drat you Edgelord Masaki! ((I know its not the Masaki we all know))

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Boy, getting the Unicorn Drill went a hell of a lot smoother here than in the anime. Really, they eventually got rather fed up with the thing.

Dendoh episode 4 preview posted:

: Usually, you'd think a weapon would be a beam gun.
: Or missiles.
: An axe isn't bad either.
: Double Tomahawk!
: A whip would be good too. Or a boomerang.
: Oh, I'm pretty good with a yo-yo.
: Anything but a horse!

Nice that Altair, the series' true Char has appeared. His first couple appearances were also a lot more difficult for the heroes. I hope MX doesn't nerf his badass factor too badly.

But think about this. The data weapons respond to certain strong personality traits. Wouldn't it be interesting if working with and relying on such a large team caused the kids to become less self-reliant, so they had a harder time retrieving them. Might that possibly justify dabbling in some of the more extreme methods other series use on their pilots? These are the kinds of possibilities SRW will explore precisely never.

heavybassX
Jul 27, 2016
"hears epic music in the distance" Hmmmm I wonder what that could mean?

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
Yo, hold up, MX got rid of that "MEI-OOOOOOOH" that plays during Zeorymer's nuclear fistbump of doom! I liked that soundbit!

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Yo, hold up, MX got rid of that "MEI-OOOOOOOH" that plays during Zeorymer's nuclear fistbump of doom! I liked that soundbit!

I can still hear it, I think. It's just a bit muffled and Masato's voice is playing over it.

When the 天 appears, you can hear the OOOOOH part in the background.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Brunom1 posted:

I can still hear it, I think. It's just a bit muffled and Masato's voice is playing over it.

Aight, I can kinda hear it now.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Brunom1 posted:

They probably should have timed it better, it's the best part of the attack. It really drives home that the Zeorymer is just hardcore evil. Like, a lot of series play the "the robot is actually quite sinister/dangerous" card, but I feel that Zeorymer is the one that pulls off the most outright villainous vibe. "Evil Masato" does a lot to reinforce the idea, though, so I might be biased.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
Robeast... :sigh:
On the other hand, Duke using his Horse Powers to get Unicorn Drill to simmer down is adorable and should've been made into a 4koma back in the day. And it's nice to hear DVE(Dramatic Voice Event, AKA "that thing where characters have voiced lines outside of combat)s again; I think they were all but phased out as of Z and haven't made much of a comeback.
And I don't think I've ever made active use of Zeorymer, because I don't think it's very fun to use a unit that powerful.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Wounded Land posted:

Robeast... :sigh:
On the other hand, Duke using his Horse Powers to get Unicorn Drill to simmer down is adorable and should've been made into a 4koma back in the day. And it's nice to hear DVE(Dramatic Voice Event, AKA "that thing where characters have voiced lines outside of combat)s again; I think they were all but phased out as of Z and haven't made much of a comeback.
And I don't think I've ever made active use of Zeorymer, because I don't think it's very fun to use a unit that powerful.

Uh, Z2 had quite a few DVEs, and I'm pretty sure Z3 had them, so the only other games so far have been UX and BX, not familiar enough with either to know how much they used DVE, but I don't think two games is enough to declare a trend.

EDIT: Whoops, looks like V isn't out yet.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

Uh, Z2 had quite a few DVEs, and I'm pretty sure Z3 had them, so the only other games so far have been UX and BX, not familiar enough with either to know how much they used DVE, but I don't think two games is enough to declare a trend.

EDIT: Whoops, looks like V isn't out yet.

As a matter of fact, I remember Z3.2 having more DVEs than many other recent games... even Z1, I think. If anything, it had more OG voiced events as, if my memory serves me right, Z1's only one was Setsuko screaming when Kei's bomb went off (did the Z2 OGs even have those?).

On the flip side, MX has an absurd amount of the things. I've been trying to fit them into videos as much as I can but we've had so much more of than the ones I've shown over these first missions.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 30, 2016

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

You get a bunch of them in the OG games too, but I'm not terribly sure they count.

heavybassX
Jul 27, 2016
People tend to forget that MX was the debut of Zeroymer and J which was it's next appearance had the more fleshed out plot as well as the Great Zeroymer which is broken as gently caress.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Back at the moon, Altair’s setting off to look for the Data Weapons and, no, he does not want anyone else tagging along to help. The Spiral Castle seems a bit queasy but Altair declares that no one here has the authority to determine what he can or cannot do. He tells the other Gulfer to worry about eradicating mankind and leaves.
Deondra laughs that the mighty Spiral Castle has been reduced to Altair’s mook. As he bristles, she asks if he wouldn’t rather hear this small plan of hers – a way to capture both the Dendoh and the Data Weapons. The Gulfer are interested, indeed.
“How much are you paying?” Deondra fires immediately. The Spiral Castle argues that, if successful, he’ll report her achievements to the Emperor himself; that, in turn, should reach the Gyandolar boss’ ears, which would likely mean a boost to her “commander rank”.

As Deondra silently sneers that all he’ll have to present to his Emperor will be a report, she explains her plan: the Dendoh runs on electricity, so they need only cut its power source and it’ll be a sitting duck.
The Gulfer shrug at this elementary plan, as they’d already thought of it a long time ago. Why haven’t they executed it, then? Because their Chips reported that the earthlings have already figured out a way of replacing the Dendoh’s batteries midbattle.
Deondra laughs that for such hulking beings, they think far too small. “When I said ‘cut the power source’, I meant cutting the energy in all of Japan.”

Kouji and Kaine have just come out of GEAR’s own bathing area – a hundred times larger and better equipped than the Nahel Argama’s. It’s like a full spa in there and, with the boys done, Aqua, Roux and Puru show up for their turn.
Puru asks how it was in there and Kouji says she’ll have a hard time deciding what to soak in. That’s all she needs to hear and rushes the girls to get inside.

: Alright, alright, we’re going.
: Oh, and by the way… If we catch you spying on us, there’ll be about a hundred slaps coming your way.
: What, who would ever do such a thing?!
: Yeah, now I’m worried you girls have totally the wrong idea about us.
: So you say, like we’d just take you on your word.
: We’re not Tap, you know… Get going already.
: Ok! Purupurupurupurupuru!
: Ah! Puru, don’t run! You’ll get hurt!

*Off they go.*

: …Kaine.
: Kouji.
: We doing this?
: We doing this.
: We’re men, you and I. If we let this chance slip…
: We’d regret it for the rest of our lives.
: And how could we be afraid of some slaps…
: When we have to fight stuff like the Giganos?

*A door opens nearby!

: …
: H-Hugo…!
: Did you hear us just now…?
: Hear what?
: N-nothing, nothing.

Kaine changes the subject quickly, asking if Hugo’s went to take a soak yet. No, he says he’ll do it later. When Kouji asks, he says he’s no problem with bathhouses – actually, he likes them well enough.
Regardless, Hugo passes on a message from Douglas that all members of Team B are to assemble in twenty minutes for a meeting. “And also… I suggest you pass on that peeping tom business. If the Lt. finds out, there’ll be hell for you to pay,” he adds and takes off. Guess he did hear them talking.

Kouji and Kaine are assigned to Team B but, actually, so is Hugo – with the meeting in twenty minutes, that’s only gonna give him a little bit of time to actually enjoy the bathhouse. We’ve only scant few opportunities to relax like this, so one would expect him to go in right now.
Does he have a problem with sharing the bath with others? Maybe… Kouji remembers that Hugo always sneaks off to change by himself after missions. It could be that he’s shy about his body but, then, he wouldn’t really be wearing that chest-revealing suit. Ho-hum…

Aqua rushes out right then, surprising the guys that she actually went into the bath with that swimsuit of hers.
“Of course. That way, if there’s any problem, I can deploy without a hitch… but that’s not important right now! The water in the bathhouse is coming out ice cold!” she says… right in time for a blackout to hit.

Locaton: Neo-Tokyo 3

In Neo-Tokyo 3, Kensuke (glasses) is asking Shinji about a story he heard of EVA-02 taking down an Angel in a scant few dozen seconds. Apparently Kensuke’s dad works at NERV and he had but to check his PC to find the highly classified information. Someone’s gonna be in trouble later.
Regardless, Kensuke wants to know more: is it true that it’s the first production model EVA? And a proper combat-oriented model? Yes and, furthermore, Shinji adds that it’s red and lacks a horn unlike his EVA-01.
“The production model is red?! And it’s got no horn?! That makes absolutely no sense!” Kensuke objects. Why? “Red models are supposed to be rare, with horns, and be three times faster!”
Shinji isn’t too sure about that but Kensuke is still appalled.

Touji walks in right then, having just come back from visiting his sister in the hospital. There hasn’t been any change in her condition. Shinji sulks, Touji turns him… and tells him not (!) to beat himself over it.
“It’s true that my sister got hurt during your fight with the Angel but I know ya did everything ya coulda done,” he says. Shinji still apologizes but Touji tells him to cut whining and calls him and Kensuke to go grab some food.

Hikari speaks up, asking where they think they’re going without helping clean the classroom. Asuka’s there too, pointing out that THESE Three Stooges are exactly as lazy as she told her.
Touji yells that he just got here but that’s hardly any excuse for Asuka – she figures the three of them ought to clean the place by their lonesome tomorrow as punishment. That doesn't sit well with Touji and his plans to watch the Osaka Titans game. “I don’t care one bit if the Osaka Titans or THE Titans are up tomorrow, this is your punishment and you’re not getting out of it!” she laughs.

Kensuke sighs that she’s always so mean but quickly bites his tongue when Asuka glares at him. And, on the subject of their previous conversation, Shinji lets him in on the info that she’s the #02’s pilot – their whispering is also cut short when Asuka almost hears it.
As the boys buckle down and start cleaning, Hikari decides to help out by passing out electric floor cleaners to help them get done faster (Asuka figures brooms are good enough for them). That is, until they realize the things aren’t moving and realize the power’s out.

Rei comes in right then, calling Shinji and Asuka with some emergency summons from HQ. She doesn’t know if it’s an Angel as no details were given but something’s obviously going on if they’ve been called like this.

Makoto, with the glasses, and Shigeru report all power in city blocks A through F down to 8% of normal – it's not just NERV that's been affected. When Misato asks, Makoto reports that a major blackout, centered around the Kanto region, has begun affecting various cities at the same time – cause unknown.
At this rate one third of Japan is going to be without power in less than an hour. NERV can keep working due to their own generators but this is very unlikely to be an accident – not for it to hit so many places at the exact same time. Can it be an Angel at work?

Prof. Ritsuko finds that unlikely and is, actually, more worried with the hacking attempts NERV’s MAGI supercomputers have suffered over the past few days. In fact, there’s one going on right now and Maya scrambles to try to both keep the criminal away and figure out who it is.
As soon as she starts her trace, however, the connection is cut – whoever’s behind is always quick to run off. No data’s been stolen or tampered with, either. It’s almost like the hacker’s just playing with them, which baffles Misato as no one – barring Ruri Hoshino – should be capable of hacking the MAGI.
Still, the supercomputers have gathered enough info to make an estimate on the criminal’s identity: two to one, they say it’s… a Data Weapon.

Back at GEAR, Aiko delivers an update on the blackout: it’s not good. Overall supply is under 10% everywhere and it keeps on spreading. Inoue has been trying to figure out the cause and, so far, incoming data is very strange – the relay stations across Japan are doing fine and he doesn’t think human error is what happened.
No, Inoue’s theory is that someone is somehow absorbing all that energy and storing it somewhere. That doesn’t make sense to Shibuya as this isn’t a tiny bit of electricity – were someone moving this much energy around, they should’ve easily been able to pinpoint the cause.

Inoue is just as confused and doesn’t think even the Gulfer could pull something like this; if things go on like this, they’ll need to request help from the Federation government. To keep things afloat a bit longer, Shibuya orders the Hyper Dendoh Batteries to be put into the power grid – every single one of them can power quite the large area.
If the Gulfer attack in the meantime, they’ll just have to rely on the Federal Army and Argama team. They cannot afford to have the lifelines of their entire country shut down, lest chaos spread far and wide.

Fast forward a day and Kirakuni is relaying the news to Ginga and Hokuto – GEAR’s been transporting the batteries over to various cities across Japan over the last twenty four hours. Hokuto’s surprised that the batteries have THAT much energy within but, of course, Eris says they wouldn’t power a mech like Dendoh if they didn’t.
Ginga protests that said Dendoh won’t work if they take them all away – what are they supposed to do if an attack happens? Thankfully, they didn’t take all the batteries, only most of GEAR’s stockpile. The Cell Fighter’s also equipped in case an operation breaks out.
But that’s it, so it’s best to hope the Gulfer play ball… and the alarm starts blaring right then. “I-Is that for real?!” Hokuto cries out.

Surprise, the Gulfer are attacking and they are EVERYWHERE: the prefectures of Shizuoka, Fukui, Akita, Okayama, Tokushima, Oita and around Sapporo.
The Federation forces are currently engaging and when Inoue takes a look at the areas under attack, it doesn’t take long to realize that they’re also the ones who were hit with the blackout. Guess the Gulfer really were the ones behind it but, of course that means they’ll be hitting Hoshimi soon… scratch that, Meteor’s already detecting RoBeasts on approach.
Time to send the Nahel Argama over.

Deondra is giddy over how well this is going and Giga Absolute relays the info from their Chips that the Dendoh’s batteries were all used to power the various parts of Japan. Now, the Dendoh’s about to wear out its remaining energy fighting their RoBeasts.
And without any energy available, they’ll be unable to recharge any new batteries, rendering the mech immobile. The Spiral Castle is pleased and praises Deondra for her strategy (she’s smugly honored).

Witter is curious, however, as to how she managed to absorb all of Japan’s energy without being detected. A small toy the Gyandolar picked up in another planet called Fenomena which can manipulate any kind of electricity… and it can even shift a planet’s axis! ( :stare: )
The Spiral Castle’s surprised they’ve such a superweapon and Deondra prepares to head down to the surface - it wouldn't do if Altair figured out what's going on and got to their treasure first, right?

Torres and Saegusa report that the RoBeasts are retreating and the Dendoh’s about to head in pursuit. Bright calls them back, lest they empty their current stock of energy needlessly.
The Federation phones in right then, their radars having detected a rather Knight Ogre-esque unit headed towards Neo-Tokyo 3; Vega gets on the mic and tells him she and the Dendoh crew will intercept. Bright objects that it’s too dangerous for them to go alone but Vega says the rest of us need to stand guard in Hoshimi as there’s no telling if the Gulfer have really given up on their offensive.

Mission 8 – Conflict

NERV, down in the GeoFront below Neo-Tokyo 3, has’s already got their eyes on the Ogre as it enters their city in pursuit of a signal. The Dendoh team is hot on his heels, though.
Altair sees that only the bot and some worms followed him and sniffs that the Spiral Castle’s plan was of some use after all. Vega’s looking over at him, telling herself that it can’t be the same Altair – as Meteor said, it’s all but impossible that he’s still alive.
Eris figures the Ogre’s presence here must mean that a Data Weapon’s nearby and Ginga’s hyped to get a beastie of his own today.

: This is Vega, vice-commander of GEAR, speaking. We’ll take care of the enemy.
: Cpt. Misato Katsuragi, NERV’s Director of Operations; our thanks for your quick response.
: GEAR’s vice-commander herself has taken to the field? How surprising… (This is Fuyutsuki)
: She sounds quite a lot like you, huh, Cpt. Katsuragi?
: You think so?
: Yes – I can’t even believe you’re two different people.
: Still, the two of them’ll probably not have a chance to make friends.
: … Hm, that’s true.
: (Looks like the Dendoh won’t be getting any support from them. They do have a lot to deal with themselves, though.)
: You ready to rock, Hokuto?!
: Ready!
: Did I just hear kids…?
: Are the Dendoh’s pilots younger than us?
: They are, yes.
: Hmhmm… Well, let’s see what those two and the famous Dendoh are all about.
: (Kids even younger than me are in there…?)
: Vega, Kirakuni, you guys hang back. We’ll take care of the Ogre.
: Huh?!
: What are you talking about, Ginga? This isn’t an opponent to take lightly!
: And, besides, we’re down to only one spare battery after the previous scuffle with the Gulfer!
: Don’t worry, it’s cool! We wrecked this guy before, didn’t we?
: But—!
: We’re keeping it all in mind – both how strong the Ogre is and that we’re low on batteries.
: Hokuto…!
: Ms. Vega, I believe they have the right idea about this.
: You, too, Eris?!
: I’m detecting an energy reading very much like a Data Weapon around these parts.
: What? Is that true?
: Yes. So, I think the best way to keep the Ogre from getting it is for the two of us to focus on locating it while they fight.
: And… I’m a bit worried as to why NERV hasn’t deployed their Evangelions.
: Now that you mention it, yeah…
: Do you they might be expecting an Angel to turn up here?
: … I can’t say for certain. Still, there’s an enemy in their city and we’ve seen no action from NERV… that’s strange at least.
: Maybe they’re trying to conserve the EVAs? Those are specialized Anti-Angel weapons and, like the Dendoh, they run on electricity.
: But, still…
: Alright. We’ll go and investigate the perimeter… But, Ginga and Hokuto, be very careful.
: OK! Hokuto, bring out the Unicorn Drill and let’s wrap this up lickety-split!
: You got it! Unicorn Drive! INSTAAAAALL!

: Oh? As you wish, then! Viper Drive! Install!!

: Wait! How can you just go and install the Data Weapon like that?!
: Didn’t I just tell you that we’ve only ONE spare battery?!
: I did and that’s why we’ll take him down all the way with one good Final Attack!
: That’s crazy! You need to consider your energy consumption!

While Vega pulls out her hair, NERV’s starting to get hacked again. Misato wonders if it’s the Ogre’s but Maya says otherwise – that said, the signal indicates something quite similar. Meaning there’s a third Data Weapon around.
Ritsuko’s already having Maya run the trace but she expects it to fail again – the Data Weapon will potentially move to the real world after it’s found its new master.
Meanwhile, the Dendoh’s heading right over to Altair.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 21, 2016

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

This is still about the first part of the mission, so we’re only supposed to go on fighting Altair.

: Here we go, Ginga, Unicorn!
: Ogre, Oger, or whatever he is, we’re gonna get that Data Weapon back right now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BefMmK35Fi4
Here’s another move of the Viper Whip – stronger than the File Load he used before. Also, there’s the Unicorn Drill’s Firewall helping us out.

: Heheh! Yeah, we got this now!
: That’s right!
: You can’t rely so much on the Unicorn Drill’s power, you two! You, yourselves, aren’t any stronger than before just because you have it available!
: Relax! We got the Final Attack to use in a pinch!
: And if that fails, you’ll be finished!
: She’s right! With how much energy you’ve already spent, we’ll need to switch our last battery in for you to use the Final Attack!
: We’ll be fine – we’ve got this bad boy, Unicorn Drill, on our side!

Enemy Phase!

Things aren’t going too well here!

: Alright, that does it! Let’s take him out with the Final Attack!
: Alright, I’m ready!
: Kirakuni, the Hyper Dendoh Battery please!
: I guess I have to…! This is the last one, so don’t waste it!

: Alright, we’re good to go now!
: … Fine. I can claim that after I’ve finished you off.
: The hack in the sub-computers has stopped!
: We’re detecting an electrical discharge in area B!
: Looks like it’s headed outside.
: There it is!

: It’s the Leo Circle!
: Whaaa! You heard that, Hokuto?!
: Still, we’ll be finished if we take our eyes off the Ogre!
: Wait, both of you! If you fire your Final Attack now—!
: No, we’ll go save the Leo Circle after we’ve beat down the Ogre!
: Stop!!

: Aah?!
: H-He dodged it!

*Power doooooooown.

: The Unicorn Drill…!
: It disappeared?!
: Oh, crap, the batteries are dead!!
: Not good – they need help!
: There is so much more to battle than just one’s arms.
: Did you honestly think having a Data Weapon assured your victory? Hmph… Ignorant amateurs.
: Urk!
: He- He got us?!
: Now, let me show you both the true power of the Viper Whip!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc3KRlDdFXk
See how Dendoh’s faceplate is down? If you let its EN run out, it really does turn off and won’t move AT ALL until the batteries are changed.

: The Dendoh’s—!
: Hokuto! Ginga!
: Uurgh!
: Aargh…!
: And this is the end for you… Dendoh!
: UWAAAAAH!!
: Hrm?! This signal is—!

*NERV Alarm!*

: What is it?!
: We’ve an unidentified flying object on approach! Currently above Tonosawa!
: It’s here… later than predicted.
: Yes, the 5th Angel.
: !
: An Angel now?!
: … All hands, shift to code red.
: Roger! All hands, shift to code red!

*The Leo Circle runs off.*

: Aah, the Leo Circle!
: … I shouldn’t stay here any longer. Luck is on your side today, Dendoh pilots.

*Altair leaves.*

: The Ogre…!
: C-Commander! The radar’s picking up some massive object!
: Is it the Gulfer?!
: No, this one’s different!

: Target’s just reached Lake Ashi’s airspace!
: The Unit #02 will stay on standby. Deploy the #01.
: Yes, sir! Shinji, that means you!
: Something wrong, Shinji?!
: (Dad… You won’t even give me a ‘good luck’, will you?)
: Shinji, did you hear me?!
: Y-yes.
: The target’s entering Neo-Tokyo 3’s airspace!

[Screams geometrically]

: What is that thing?!
: Is that… an Angel?!
: Hey, hold up, Misato! Why am I on standby?!
: Those are Cmdr. Ikari’s orders. You must comply.
: (What the hell is that supposed to mean…?! That that idiot’s more reliable than me?!)
: EVA-01, in position to deploy!
: Are you ready, Shinji?!
: Hm… I’ll try.
: I say this just as some food-for-thought but piloting the EVA with that middling attitude is—
: It’s fine – I’m here of my own free will. Besides… there’s nothing else I can do right now.
: … OK.
: Final safety device, release! Evangelion #01, lift off!

: We’re detecting a high energy reading within the target!
: It’s accelerating and focusing!
: Oh, no…! It’s aiming at the #01’s emergence point!
: Crap! Dodge!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVQ6T9TOSP0

: SHINJI!!
: The Angel focused charged particles into a beam?!
: Bring him back! Hurry!!

*The EVA-01 retreats*

: The target’s gone silent!
: What about Shinji?!
: He’s alive but his brainwaves are fluctuating and his pulse is weak!
: The EVA-01 has been retrieved – it’s being sent to cage #7!
: I’m going there! Have the medical team prepare for emergency surgery!
: Wait, the target’s moving again!

*The Angel heads into town.*

: Is it going for the Dendoh next?!
: No, it’s not!
: What’s it doing?!
: It’s digging into the Geofront, headed towards us!
: It means to attack NERV HQ directly…!

Back inside, Misato has a major headache with all their problems: the EVA-01 is totaled, there’s an Angel right on top of them and the blackout is still going. From data NERV’s analyzed, the Angel is able to detect any threat within a fixed radius and automatically snipes it down with pinpoint accuracy of its particle beam. In short, close-range engagements with mobile weapons are far too dangerous to consider.
Worse yet, its A.T. Field is so strong that it can be seen by the naked eye – the thing’s like a flying fortress, boasting perfect offensive and defensive capabilities. The thing is drilling at a rate which would bring it past all the armor plates protecting the GeoFront at 6 minutes, 54 seconds past midnight - less than ten hours away.
Ritsuko reports the damage on the EVA-01: most of its chest armor was melted after the attack but, luckily, the core systems are in one piece. Had we taken just a few more seconds to pull the unit back and it would’ve been a lot worse.

EVA-02 has been kept stashed away at Gendou's orders, though it's unclear to Ritsuko if he's just holding it in reserve or if it was the Committee's will. Regardless, it won’t be available for the next operation.
Misato isn’t happy but Ritsuko tells her that Earth has more enemies to deal with than the Angels, so they need to cover their bases. Misato doesn’t buy that PR excuse and figures something else is going on, but Ritsuko tells she’s barking up the wrong tree if she’s looking for answers.
What about the Unit #00? Not ready for combat yet due to problems in its feedback system. And Shinji? Still in the ICU. This is about the point where Misato would raise a white flag if their foe was an ordinary one. But it’s not, so: “If our enemy wields a long spear, then we’ll wield an even longer one.”

The plan that she presents to Gendou and Fuyutsuki is to snipe the Angel back, hitting from outside his range with a ultra-long range rifle capable of firing a ton of concentrated energy into a single spot – it’s the only way we’ll pop it’s A.T. Field.
The MAGI are 2-to-1 in favor of this, and there's an 8.7% chance of success, the highest of any plan so far devised. Gendou has no reason to object and tells her to get to it.

Ritsuko can see how this would be the spear in Misato’s analogy, though she’s still amazed that she thought up a strategy as crazy as this. Not like they’ve any choice, with only nine hours to get things rolling before the Angel gets here.
OK, so the first problem: where will they get the gun they need? Misato already has an appointment made that she hopes will give it to them. And the energy to actually power the dang thing? The blackout is still going and Ritsuko estimates we’d need about 180 million kilowatts to pierce the Angel’s A.T. Field.
Misato already has an idea about that too, just as Maya tells that her appointment has arrived – far sooner than she expected.

It’s Prospector (not his real name), liaison of Nergal Heavy Industries, and they’ve already reviewed her request. They do have a self-propelled positron rifle under development but… does she really have no other option?
Misato nods and Prospector says that while Nergal has no problem with helping with this, there are a few issues with the weapon itself…

Nergal’s secretive president chimes in right then, figuring they needn’t worry about those. He says NERV is tech-savvy enough that they can probably figure out how to fix the weapon’s problems by themselves… besides, he can’t say no to a pretty woman.
Plus, Nergal will get useful feedback from this field test so that sounds like a pretty good deal to him. As the president signs off, Prospector sighs that the boss has spoken… though Misato is a bit startled at how easygoing the guy sounded.
Regardless, Prospector says they’ll have the gun over within the hour and Misato says NERV will be ready to receive it. Next, she’s got to speak with GEAR.

She tells Shibuya that they’d like to use their Hyper Dendoh Batteries to provide the energy for Operation Yashima. Problem is, GEAR only has two batteries left in stock and they were saving those for when the Gulfer – or the Ogre – attack. He’s expecting them to try their hand again by riding the coattails of the Angel mess.
Misato understands his problem but raises the argument that, if they don’t stop the Angel before it gets to the GeoFront, it may well trigger a Third Impact. If that happens, the battle with the Gulfer will be the least of their problems.
Shibuya doesn’t like it that Misato’s seemingly forcing him to choose between fighting one or the other but, actually, she says she might have a way around that.

The plan, as Eris tells them, is to gather up as much energy as they can and wire it into the Dendoh to get it charged up again. How are they gonna pull that off, Elle wonders?
Eris concedes that the blackout is still going but that doesn’t mean ALL energy has evaporated. We still have private-owned generators in factories, dynamos, car batteries, dry cell batteries, so they’re gathering as much of these as they can. Once that’s done, they’ll take the electricity and use it to get the Dendoh running.

And they really are doing it right now, as Hokuto’s dad appears on TV telling everyone watching that the Dendoh needs their electricity. “We must now pool our strength and send it to the Dendoh so that we can repel the enemies hurting us. Your dry cell batteries, car batteries, generators… If we all supply even a small amount of energy, together, that power will be what defeats our foe! :black101:
Elle’s surprised to see that Hokuto’s dad is a TV announcer but, yes, we’re asking all of the Japanese people to pitch in (I can totally see the campaign, asking kids to send their batteries in letters to TV Tokyo).

Eris adds that they even considered using the energy inside our Super Robots but that idea was nixed when they considered that said mechs are still needed to fight. Someone’ll need to play defense for the immobile Dendoh, so this is the only option they had left to handle both the Angel and the expected-to-attack Gulfer.
The final problem is Ginga, broken up after their major loss to Ogre. Hokuto is worried but Domon tells him not to, as he’s sure the kid will recover. On that matter, Vega’s taken him home in hopes that it’ll kick-start that recovery.

Slightly under six hours left on the timer and the positron rifle has already been fixed and is en route to its perch – once there, they’ll plug it to the batteries. The Nahel Argama crew are about in position too and with their preparations well underway.
The populace is really coming through, with GEAR even sending some bicycle-driven dynamos to be piloted by civilians wanting to help out. This sounds pretty ludicrous, but it increases the chances of booting the Dendoh by a good 5%. Shigeru figures this is all the more reason why the operation needs to succeed but there’s still the matter of Shinji.
The infirmary has reported that he’s regained consciousness and the exams haven’t shown any problems. Seems like everything is falling into place but… Misato and Ritsuko know that the big question now is whether Shinji will be willing to pilot the EVA again after what happened.

: Ayanami…
: I’m here to brief you on the timetable for tomorrow’s Operation Yashima.
: The pilots Ikari and Ayanami are to assemble at the cage at 1730 hours. Units #01 and #00 are to be initialized at 1800. Takeoff will be at 1805. At 1830, we’re to arrive at the sniping perch and remain on standby until further notice. The start of the operation will coincide with the toll of midnight.
: And… here’s a new plugsuit.
: You’re to leave here in sixty minutes.
: Ayanami… You’re not scared?
: Of what?
: Of fighting that Angel… Can we really beat something like that…?
: I… I don’t think I can.
: Why don’t you quit, then?
: “Quit”…?
: I’ll pilot the EVA-01. Prof. Akagi has already made preparations to rewrite the unit’s personal data.
: Ms. Ritsuko did…?
: I’m going. Cpt. Katsuragi and Prof. Akagi are waiting at the cage.
: Goodbye.

*Rei leaves.*

Back in Hoshimi, Vega’s dropped off Ginga and tells him she’ll pick him up in an hour. Otome and Midori quickly spot him and wonder what happened to that sciency tour of his; he says he’s only here to rest for a bit.
Midori takes one look at his sullen face and sees what’s going on: “Who did you lose to?” How could any mother not see it?
She continues: “I told you time and again, didn’t I? There are loads of people stronger than you out there but you can never let yourself be truly defeated. And when your heart falters, that's when true defeat happens. While I don’t know who you fought, you've the look of someone whose heart has actually faltered. What do you have to say about that?”

Ginga snaps, saying that he did truly lose – there’s nothing he or anyone can do to win against that guy. So all he has left is to accept it, no?!
He runs off, leaving his sister to wonder if he’s also going to be pedaling the bike dynamos. For that matter, Otome is willing to give up the battery from her stuffed animal so that the Dendoh could move again. Yes, the toy is her friend but she figures she’ll be able to play with him again once the bad guys are beaten.
Midori is happy to hear that and promises to buy her lots of batteries after the Dendoh wins.

Kensuke and Touji are also in position to help with the bikes, Kensuke blown away by the sight of the Nahel Argama. Maybe they can catch a glimpse of the Gundam Team? While Touji sighs at his fanboyism, Hikari also shows up to help.
She felt she couldn’t just sit by, what with their friends getting ready to fight – Touji approves and quips that he’s changed his view of her (she blushes).

Danbei and Hikaru are on hand as well, surprised at the amount of people who’ve gathered here to help. He chalks it up to this being a national crisis and, personally, he wants to see it overcome lest it hamper his UFO-hunting!
Hikaru sighs at him wanting to see UFOs when the Gulfer could be coming over to attack right now. With that in mind, should she be here? While they’ve the Federation providing cover, things could still get dicey.
Hikaru isn’t budging, though, wanting to do whatever she can to help Daisuke and the others.

The Gulfer Chips walk over, finding this gathering around the Dendoh to be very suspicious.
They figure this warrants a closer look and decide to infiltrate the group. Ginga’s mother and sister show up right then, with Otome very excited to see the Dendoh up close. They’ll need to pedal as hard as they can to help it move again.

: Cpt. Misato Katsuragi from NERV. A pleasure to be running this operation with you.
: The pleasure is all mine.
: (They really do sound alike…)
: Here, let me introduce you to the Dendoh’s pilots. He’s Ginga Izumo and…
: I’m Hokuto Kusanagi. Pleased to meet you.
: Huuh?! You’re the pilots?!
: Y-Yes…
: (I knew they were younger but… they’re still grade schoolers.)
: (Those kids are the Dendoh’s…)
: In the event that Knight Ogre decides to show up while Operation Yashima is underway, they will engage him with the Dendoh… assuming we can get it running, that is.
: Understood.
: … Can you do that, Ginga?
: … I don’t know.
: What’s going on, Ginga? Who’ll take care of the Data Weapon and the Ogre if we don’t—
: Shut it! Weren’t you the one who first said that this was too much for kids like us?!
: This is really not the time or place to talk like—
: But I can’t beat the Ogre – it’s impossible! I—
: Cut it out already!!
: You don’t think I’m just as scared as you? I am!
: …!
: I’m not like you – I’ve been scared since day one.
: You…
: But didn’t we decide we were still gonna do our part? That we were gonna work hard?!
: And everyone’s doing so much to help us now…!
: So don’t we have to repay that?!
: He’s right, Ginga… It’s not just the two of you who’ll be fighting today. All those who are taking part in this operation will be doing so to try and secure their future.
: …OK, I’ll do it. I… I don’t know if I can beat the Ogre but I’ll give it my best shot.
: Ginga…!
: Hm-hmm… He’s pretty eager, unlike someone.
: … I’ll help too.
: Ah?
: Those kids are working so hard… I can’t just turn away from this by myself.
: Honestly, I’m still not confident in the slightest… but I’ll do whatever I can regardless.
: (Shinji…)
: Well, you did steal my chance to deploy so I’d be annoyed if you didn’t show at least a bit of attitude. You better do a bang-up job out there, alright?
: Alright.
: Um…
: My name’s Shinji Ikari… Let’s give this everything we’ve got, Hokuto.
: Y-Yeah!
: With that done, here are the respective assignments of the EVA pilots for Operation Yashima: Shinji, your EVA-01 will man the rifle.
: OK.
: And, Rei, you and the EVA-00 will be in charge of defending him.
: Understood.
: We’ve decided on this due to Shinji’s higher synchronization with the EVA-01. And you will only have two shots with the Position Sniper Rifle.
: Because we’ve only two Hyper Dendoh Batteries?
: Correct. Moreover, the rifle’s shot will not fly straight due to the influence of the Earth’s gravity, rotation and magnetic field. You’ll have to remember to account for those when you fire.
: …And what if I miss the first shot?
: Then it’ll take about twenty seconds for the weapon to cool down and recharge before you can do it again.
: We expect the Angel to fire back in that window, with the same devastating effect as before if it connects. Ultimately, the only option available was to equip the EVA-00 with a large shield and have it cover you.
: How long will that shield hold against the attack?
: … We estimate about seventeen seconds.
: …!
: (Which means I need to focus on destroying it with the first shot…)

: These may be the last hours of our lives…
: Why do you say that?
: If the Gulfer… or the Angel attacks while the operation is underway...
: You won’t die – I’ll keep you safe.

Why is it that Operation Yashima always gets fuckhuge missions? The rest will be up in a few days.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 1, 2016

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

I've never really cared for Zeorymer, honestly. Granted, my only exposure to it is J, and that wasn't a particularly well written SRW, but even aside from that it sounds like the show is mostly just a series of one on ones with the Haudragons that tend to finish with EVIL MASAKI coming out and doing Meioh. And Meioh isn't even that great a finishing move, Zeorymer just fistbumps with itself and the enemy explodes, really.

The thing about Zeorymer is that it's largely character-driven, with the mech battles playing second fiddle, so it doesn't tend to translate well into the SRW format. In the show it was twenty minutes of Masaki being poo poo on for no reason while Taiha and the Empress angst about their love, followed by two minutes of mech battling, followed by Masaki pressing the win button; in the SRW, the mech battle ends up the focus while the angst and dysfunction play a minor role. It's also only four episodes total, so it tends to get spread out over the course of the game and have relatively little presence unless the game does a really good job of mixing the enemy factions together. The mech itself tends to come through really faithfully, though, especially in terms of its overwhelming power. Zeorymer is broken as hell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

loving love this crossover. Combining the Dendoh power outage episode (which is itself an Eva ref) with the Eva sniping episode is just pure delight. :allears:

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Main Paineframe posted:

The thing about Zeorymer is that it's largely character-driven, with the mech battles playing second fiddle, so it doesn't tend to translate well into the SRW format. In the show it was twenty minutes of Masaki being poo poo on for no reason while Taiha and the Empress angst about their love, followed by two minutes of mech battling, followed by Masaki pressing the win button; in the SRW, the mech battle ends up the focus while the angst and dysfunction play a minor role. It's also only four episodes total, so it tends to get spread out over the course of the game and have relatively little presence unless the game does a really good job of mixing the enemy factions together. The mech itself tends to come through really faithfully, though, especially in terms of its overwhelming power. Zeorymer is broken as hell.

His name is Masato. Masaki is when he goes all :smuggo:

Edit:

ImpAtom posted:

loving love this crossover. Combining the Dendoh power outage episode (which is itself an Eva ref) with the Eva sniping episode is just pure delight. :allears:

And the best part is that we're not done with the crossover aspect just yet. There's someone else who needs to show.

Inferno-sama fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 31, 2016

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Kotono Mitsuishi has more voice actor jokes in this game than seemingly the entire rest of the cast combined, and that includes Kamiya Akira who voices like 4 of your pilots.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Does anyone else think that the Dendoh looks better with it's mask on?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

Why is it that Operation Yashima always gets fuckhuge missions?
My money is on whatever licensing deal Gainax made with Banpresto, it had the following clause: "Everything regarding the 5th Angel and Operation Yashima gets priority billing within the limits of the game budget. No questions asked."

And here, we have probably the most cleverly planned out adaptation of it. And all it needed was one of Dendoh's episodes riding shotgun.

heavybassX
Jul 27, 2016
Ah yes this mission... this literally splits itself into two parts because it runs for roughly near 2-3 hours of game time.

Also the best way to end the current chapter.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Operation Yashima gets top billing because it's loving rad, that's why. :colbert:

Also, it's worth looking up Rebuild of Evangelion's take on it if you haven't, because Ramiel (the angel) is slightly reworked to be significantly more alien and terrifying, and the whole sequence is just incredibly well animated and directed.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Brunom1 posted:

As a matter of fact, I remember Z3.2 having more DVEs than many other recent games... even Z1, I think. If anything, it had more OG voiced events as, if my memory serves me right, Z1's only one was Setsuko screaming when Kei's bomb went off (did the Z2 OGs even have those?).

On the flip side, MX has an absurd amount of the things. I've been trying to fit them into videos as much as I can but we've had so much more of than the ones I've shown over these first missions.

I don't think the Z2 OGs have any, but Z2.1 has That Bit of Gurren Lagann. Z3.1 has Hibiki at the end. Z3.2 has loads and even goes so far as to have a voiced scene that so far has only been in an FMP novel so DVEs are definitely still going strong.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Operation Yashima gets top billing because it's loving rad, that's why. :colbert:

Also, it's worth looking up Rebuild of Evangelion's take on it if you haven't, because Ramiel (the angel) is slightly reworked to be significantly more alien and terrifying, and the whole sequence is just incredibly well animated and directed.

You can really tell that someone had a lot of fun animating Ramiel's rework, it's so cool!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Operation Yashima owns.

It shows how wonderfully crazy Misato is.

"OK. We'll snipe the Angel. What's that? To fire it we'd need enough electricity to power Japan? Well, what are we waiting for?"

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Operation Yashima owns.

It shows how wonderfully crazy Misato is.

"OK. We'll snipe the Angel. What's that? To fire it we'd need enough electricity to power Japan? Well, what are we waiting for?"

Or just hook the gun to a couple of building-sized AA batteries.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brunom1 posted:

Or just hook the gun to a couple of building-sized AA batteries.

Nothing makes me so happy as that being an option in SRW.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's weird to see them rewrite Operation Yashima so account for Asuka's early presence.

Always a fun stage whenever it comes up, I feel.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah its weird to see Asuka not only here but just flat out ordered not to sortie. Reminds me of that Vatican Treaty thing from Rebuild 2.22, sort of.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Raxivace posted:

Yeah its weird to see Asuka not only here but just flat out ordered not to sortie. Reminds me of that Vatican Treaty thing from Rebuild 2.22, sort of.

: Asuka, your role in Operation Yashima is vital to it's success.
Really now. And here I thought Shinji and Wonder Girl were doing all the work. What do I do?
We've prepared an Evangelion sized Pedal Generator. Unit 02 will be riding it to provide more power to the Positron Rifle.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I hope Eva 02 can produce more power pedaling than it takes to power it, otherwise that would be a net loss.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

HiKaizer posted:

I hope Eva 02 can produce more power pedaling than it takes to power it, otherwise that would be a net loss.

Presumably it'd be pedaling in the 5 minutes it's battery powered. :v:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUamHEvVQy0

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
So, have there been any versions of this mission where somebody just went "you know what? Let's just snipe it from orbit." I mean, Ruri^2 is up there somewhere and will be picking the Y-unit back up when the plot gets rolling... Or any of the dozens of other wave-motion cannon equivalents in other series.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ardeem posted:

So, have there been any versions of this mission where somebody just went "you know what? Let's just snipe it from orbit." I mean, Ruri^2 is up there somewhere and will be picking the Y-unit back up when the plot gets rolling... Or any of the dozens of other wave-motion cannon equivalents in other series.

As amazing as that would be, I guess the obvious answer that is "It's parked DIRECTLY over Nerv trying to drill down to the 3rd impact finish line. Let's not do it's job for it in the process of killing it."

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dr Pepper posted:

: Asuka, your role in Operation Yashima is vital to it's success.
Really now. And here I thought Shinji and Wonder Girl were doing all the work. What do I do?
We've prepared an Evangelion sized Pedal Generator. Unit 02 will be riding it to provide more power to the Positron Rifle.
oh my god

I love you.

heavybassX
Jul 27, 2016
And here I thought Devil Satan 6 speaking Scottish was hilarious, now i can imagine a giant sized push bike!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

heavybassX posted:

And here I thought Devil Satan 6 speaking Scottish was hilarious, now i can imagine a giant sized push bike!

https://youtu.be/SUamHEvVQy0

Video related.

• Locked thread