Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Well I mean yeah it's a silly comparison but it's just weird that whenever anyone posts a question about a Samsung phone there's an instant YOU GOT SAMSUNG'D but when someone's power button or Bluetooth is loving up on a Nexus or other phone it's just a helpful answer. I just don't get the double standard. I've had a variety of phones and they all have their problems.

Apart from the Palm Pre, God's True Phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

^^^

your confirmation bias is running wild mate

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Tunga posted:

To clarify, they're recalling every single Note 7, not just the 0.1% (since they don't know which ones are the 0.1%).

How insane is it that Samsung doesn't track what batteries are in what phones? The battery is the single most dangerous component in the phone, there is a long history of defective lithium batteries, you would think they would keep track of that.

Unless every single battery produced potentially has a serious defect which is insane too since the same line probably produces batteries for dozens if not hundreds of other devices.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

mango sentinel posted:

My One M8's port is giving up the ghost and doesn't want to charge, are there any compelling arguments against getting Samsung'd?
You can get the nexus 5x and put android N on it for like $200, I just came from a HTC one m8 and it's been comparable to better in every way for like 1/3 the price.

Luchadork posted:

I think the rumor is that the Not Nexuses will have the "tap screen to wake" thing that LG did/does. It's not as good as Moto's IR sensors but it's better than picking your phone up off of a surface like some sort of caveman.
Double tap to wake is an HTC feature so I wouldn't be surprised

I am still very impressed with N, I feel no need to computer janitor it, I'm a changed man, and it just works!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've been really enjoying using Messenger through the notification shade since updating to Nougat.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'd say charging while you sleep is a really bad move at this point. (I nearly forgot and charged mine last night.) On the other hand, if you use the fast-charge when you get home, you should be able to unplug it at bedtime.

Samsung is saying that they can manufacture enough replacements for all the recalled phones in 2 weeks, so there's that; on the other hand, I bet the original phones came to the U.S. by container ship rather than air. I'm hoping I'll be able to get/buy cheaply some sort of loaner, as the reason I bought the 7 was that my S3 had gone tits-up.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

That's a solid methodology if I ever heard of one.

He/she's not wrong. This thread does have a hilarious amount Samsung hate and shits on anyone who even hints at liking them.

Seriously though, how do they not track which batteries are in which phones. Hopefully Rogers Corporate can get their poo poo together on replacements fast :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

Well I mean yeah it's a silly comparison but it's just weird that whenever anyone posts a question about a Samsung phone there's an instant YOU GOT SAMSUNG'D but when someone's power button or Bluetooth is loving up on a Nexus or other phone it's just a helpful answer. I just don't get the double standard. I've had a variety of phones and they all have their problems.

I agree with your assessment.

For what it's worth, I give helpful answers for Nexus questions because I generally know the answers, having only owned Nexuses and possessing knowledge about what their common problems and solutions are. The advice I give Samsung owners is to throw them in the trash where they belong because, well, that's how I feel about them. Most of the Samsung problems seem to stem from software (exploding batteries notwithstanding) and if the problem doesn't affect the Nexuses I know about then I'm just going to make the assumption that it's Samsung's modifications which have caused the problem.

After all, Nexuses Pixels are god's One True Phone and all others are just pale imitators so any flaw they possess is due to their impurity and any perceived flaw in a Google phone is simply a consequence of being so close to the bleeding edge of progress.

That said, Desk Lamp nearly always gives excellent advice to Samsung questions.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Three Olives posted:

How insane is it that Samsung doesn't track what batteries are in what phones?

They probably do, but what looks like better PR/damage control?
1. Go to service center, they check your phones SN against a list of probably affected devices, they exchange phone.
or
2. Go to service center, store whatever, they exchange, repair, return money no questions asked.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

CLAM DOWN posted:

He/she's not wrong. This thread does have a hilarious amount Samsung hate and shits on anyone who even hints at liking them.

Seriously though, how do they not track which batteries are in which phones. Hopefully Rogers Corporate can get their poo poo together on replacements fast :(

Maybe they know which batteries went into which phones, but they don't know which batteries are flawed because of a tracking gap somewhere earlier in the process?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

isndl posted:

Maybe they know which batteries went into which phones, but they don't know which batteries are flawed because of a tracking gap somewhere earlier in the process?

I actually think it's more likely what the poster above said, it's way better PR-wise to just replace all of them. Probably the last thing they want to do now is inconvenience people even more.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

I actually think it's more likely what the poster above said, it's way better PR-wise to just replace all of them. Probably the last thing they want to do now is inconvenience people even more.

Yeah, this makes sense to me. If they do a selective recall based on battery tracking, all it would take is for one battery to very publicly fail (even for an unrelated issue) and they're facing at best a PR nightmare and at worst a nasty lawsuit.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Alan_Shore posted:

It doesn't help that Samsung made two Nexus devices, even if one was the Nexus S which wasn't awful. Hell, I liked that little curved phone and almost forgave Samsung for the whole mess of snowflake configurations for the Galaxy S series.

The other of course being the GNex which was a trash fire of a phone on all counts.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
I'm guessing the decision was made purely for PR reasons. They not only avoid further consumer inconvenience, mitigate the risk of a defective device slipping through the cracks and most importantly avoid disclosing just how must higher than 0.01% the percentage of defective batteries really is.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Alan_Shore posted:

The big thing is that Samsung doesn't have a vision, it basically cargo-cults Apple. Google has a vision for it's phones.

People are willing to forgive someone with a vision...see Elon Musk and Tesla/SpaceX.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

The big thing is that Samsung doesn't have a vision, it basically cargo-cults Apple. Google has a vision for it's phones.

People are willing to forgive someone with a vision...see Elon Musk and Tesla/SpaceX.

Lmbo what the heck? Google's "vision" is to make as much money as possible just like Samsungs.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ratbert90 posted:

Lmbo what the heck? Google's "vision" is to make as much money as possible just like Samsungs.

By this logic no company has a vision.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

By this logic no company has a vision.

Googles vision is to datamine every single aspect of your life to sell to advertisers.
Samsungs vision is to sell you as much hardware using a free software platform.

What vision of those two makes it more palatable?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

Googles vision is to datamine every single aspect of your life to sell to advertisers.

Google's easily, as it relies on long term support which is better for the consumer.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

ratbert90 posted:

uh yeah i think you have no idea what the word 'vision' means

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Yes, that's part of how those two companies make money.

Google also has had a vision or paradigm or whatever you want to call it that informs how Android/Nexus works and is deployed.

Whatever their actual purpose, what matters is what people perceive, and people perceive the point or vision or whatever differently for Google and Samsung.

Perceptions matter.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 2, 2016

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I guess it's just bizarre to me to give a company a pass just because they have a "vision."
Whatever that platitude means.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
i mean, like, every company just exists to make money, maaan. so why does it even matter?

that's an incredibly simplistic point of view (and also wrong)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

I guess it's just bizarre to me to give a company a pass just because they have a "vision."
Whatever that platitude means.

It's not really weird at all.

People perceive Elon Musks vision for SpaceX to lead towards methods for colonizing Mars and easy/cheap spaceflight. If you think those are worthwhile goals you will be willing to forgive some rockets exploding and you'll just be more favorable to them in general.

People perceive Google's vision for Nexus devices to lead towards good user interfaces and relatively inexpensive phones. If you think those are worthwhile goals you will be willing to forgive some lovely power buttons or whatever.

People perceive Samsung's vision to shove every feature they can think of in there in an attempt to be the Android iPhone. If you think those are worthwhile goals you will be willing to forgive some lovely batteries or app bloat or whatever.

of note: All those companies are also trying to make boatloads of money.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I actually do agree it's weird how you excuse some company's bullshit but not others, when they all have singular equal purpose despite your vision claims, to make money. But, I agree with what you're saying about Nexus phones, it's why I've owned every single one since the Nexus S. There's nothing wrong with enjoying other company's devices too for various reasons, this thread can be very black and white sometimes. Enjoying the Nexus 6P seems to make me normal and good and cool, but enjoying the Note 7 makes me literally a child-devouring monster, it seems. Nothing wrong with liking different things.

I asked Rogers about the Note 7 recall an hour ago and their response was "Note 7 recall?!" so this is off to a really good start.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

It's not really weird at all.

People perceive Google's vision for Nexus devices to lead towards good user interfaces and relatively inexpensive phones. If you think those are worthwhile goals you will be willing to forgive some lovely power buttons or whatever.

I guess if you consider Nexus devices relatively inexpensive. What with the 5x hitting 350$ and the 6p at 500$.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

I guess if you consider Nexus devices relatively inexpensive. What with the 5x hitting 350$ and the 6p at 500$.

Compared to an S7 or iPhone for $650 or Note 7 for $850, yeah I'd consider that relatively inexpensive

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RVProfootballer posted:

Compared to an S7 or iPhone for $650 or Note 7 for $850, yeah I'd consider that relatively inexpensive

Compared to a Moto G or Lumia 650 for 150$, or a iPhone SE for 400$ they are.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

Compared to a Moto G or Lumia 650 for 150$, or a iPhone SE for 400$ they are.

Lol great point. Those are actually all really expensive too, though, since you can get a $10 Android One phone in India.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RVProfootballer posted:

Lol great point. Those are actually all really expensive too, though, since you can get a $10 Android One phone in India.

Exactly, thus the "Vision" for a relatively cheap phone is just a platitude.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I can't buy a Samsung as long as their vision includes putting the navigation buttons in the wrong order. :colbert:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

I can't buy a Samsung as long as their vision includes putting the navigation buttons in the wrong order. :colbert:

This is a legit issue and drives me loving insane, why don't they change that :psyduck:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I actually do agree it's weird how you excuse some company's bullshit but not others,

But it's not weird.

There's a difference between weird and rational. You're conflating the two.

There is no doubt that what people perceive as intentions greatly affects their emotional response and emotional response greatly determines action.

ratbert90 posted:

Exactly, thus the "Vision" for a relatively cheap phone is just a platitude.

I don't think you understand: 1) people, 2) the word "relative", 3) this discussion.

Look, people perceive companies as entities with goals and desires. Companies shape these perceptions through things like marketing, product design, and behaving like they actually are entities with goals and desires.

Then, normal, non-brain-damaged people react to shortcomings on these companies part based upon what they think the company intended to do.

The fact that people heavily weigh what they perceive as intentionality in evaluating how to view and react to events are well established psychological and sociological facts.

I'd write a lot more about the subject, as its something I'm quite familiar with, but I don't think anyone will care enough for the amount of derailing it will lead to.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I actually do care and find it interesting, but yeah this thread gets derailed enough

sd cards

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Boy howdy, wonder if it would have been a good idea if Samsung used a removable battery?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

apple rules google drools

I called Verizon about what they're doing about the Note 7. Their site says they're offering a 2-week period during which you can exchange for another phone without the restocking fee, which is not what I want. The phone rep I got on the line sounded exhausted, and said Samsung was handling the recall and gave me their phone number. The Samsung phone number said the up-to-date info was on their site. The Samsung site is almost unnavigable (what else is new) but another site linked to this: https://news.samsung.com/global/statement-on-galaxy-note7 which hasn't been updated in 11 hours.

I think I'm going to go call Comcast for a refreshing relief.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Every article I've read about the Note 7 battery issue has had a comments section full of people e-screaming that this wouldn't have happened if Samsung hadn't stopped making phones from cheap plastic where users could remove the battery.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I might just swap my Note 7 for an S7 Edge since even Rogers Corporate (which they usually allocate more resources and care to) is being useless on this

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Why does the internet think Samsung should have the entire replacement logistics fully ironed out and in place the day after the shitstorm broke? I mean, I'm not an apoligist, but they may need a few days to find a new battery supplier, re-manufacture hundreds of thousands of Note 7's, arrange shipments and go through every owner to determine how the replacement process will work.

I know the internet is instant, but this is a pretty huge undertaking. The polished solution just isn't available in 24 hrs guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

hotsauce posted:

Why does the internet think Samsung should have the entire replacement logistics fully ironed out and in place the day after the shitstorm broke? I mean, I'm not an apoligist, but they may need a few days to find a new battery supplier, re-manufacture hundreds of thousands of Note 7's, arrange shipments and go through every owner to determine how the replacement process will work.

I know the internet is instant, but this is a pretty huge undertaking. The polished solution just isn't available in 24 hrs guys.

Because it's the internet.