Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
This game is fun as heck. I'm awful but get mad points because nobody else wants to res these fools. I'm YourMoistGrandma on origin. Hit me up if you want some rear end in a top hat to throw medpacks into your fuckin face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glassbottle
Aug 15, 2003
Witty one-liner.
Whats the deal with class levels? Are the broken? I cannot get any of the cool guns :(

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'd get Verdun on sale possibly still on STEAM right now, I don't think the Battlefield combined arms style of gameplay would even work with that sort of warfare.

Yeah I've been looking at that. Loved me some Red Orchestra 2/Rising sun.

glassbottle posted:

Whats the deal with class levels? Are the broken? I cannot get any of the cool guns :(

Sorta, it seems to be fixing itself with the servers going back to normal. But there's a "war:bux:" system where you need in game cash to unlock weapons, but also a requisite level.

UNLESS you go to battlefield.com and unlock them in career, which seems to still work kinda sorta for class unlocks. You still need the money but can ignore the rank requirement.

Unless they've really fixed that.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
I was wondering why I was doing so terribly in this one server until I checked my ping. Apparently the play now button put me in a euro server. from oz. :negative:

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Baiard posted:

I am addicted to picking Cavalry, abandoning my horse at the houses around C, and then playing Mount and Blade on the stairwells.

The correct way to play it. With a network of 4 friends in a multi class squad I went 18 and 0 stabbing fools who dared to charge into our house. Revives and dropping my own health helped me stay up, throwing light AT grenades spooked tanks. Everything went great at C until the other team just blew up our building and we had to book it.

Also I went up a cavalry level, which I didn't realize was a thing!

Feel like this game rewards teamwork the most in a BF game since BC2.Solo pubbing is a rough game.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

They really need to just make basic melee and charging different keybinds. I don't know how many times I've died because my guy decides to swing his little shovel instead of charging.

glassbottle posted:

They aren't broken, they just take a stupid amount of experience.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
i dont like this game. it consists purely of me being killed by people i cant see

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
What gun should I be buying for my assault dude? Picked up the shotgun which was ok but not really ideal for such an open map.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

dangerdoom volvo posted:

i dont like this game. it consists purely of me being killed by people i cant see

I got a bit annoyed when I was struggling to see 5 paces in the dust storm and still getting picked off by guys miles away but then I realised I'm probably just bad at this game.

Alternatively knowing :dice: the dust storm may have only been happening to me and everyone else was wondering who this idiot running into walls in broad daylight is.

KM Scorchio fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 2, 2016

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

KM Scorchio posted:

What gun should I be buying for my assault dude? Picked up the shotgun which was ok but not really ideal for such an open map.

Give the M1918 Light Infantry a try. It's better than the other versions and better than the MP18 Trench imo. The MP18 Experimental is also burst fire. I haven't figured out if it's good yet though, feels a bit clunky.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

KM Scorchio posted:

Alternatively knowing :dice: the dust storm may have only been happening to me and everyone else was wondering who this idiot running into walls in broad daylight is.

I know there were a few times last night when the dust storm would just stop for me in certain areas of the map only to sporadically reappear.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

jisforjosh posted:

I know there were a few times last night when the dust storm would just stop for me in certain areas of the map only to sporadically reappear.

I've had that happen as well. Died on point B during a storm, respawned on C in clear weather.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Yeah, it's WW1.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Crain posted:

Yeah, it's WW1.

at least in ww1 youd only have to do that once

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Yeah this is one of my biggest pet peeves. Sometimes I'll go on death streaks where no matter where I spawn I'm immediately getting hosed. Like hey, C point is surrounded by friendlies, and I spawn in and immediately get run over by a riderless horse and die.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Yeah this is one of my biggest pet peeves. Sometimes I'll go on death streaks where no matter where I spawn I'm immediately getting hosed. Like hey, C point is surrounded by friendlies, and I spawn in and immediately get run over by a riderless horse and die.

Yeah but this is like a trademark of the battlefield series.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Does anyone know if the light bombs on the attack plane damage tanks at all? I can never tell if I'm terrible at aiming them or if I'm just wasting them on armor.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

afkmacro posted:

Yeah but this is like a trademark of the battlefield series.

I feel like it's worse now that shooting doesn't give away your position. I've seen so, so many people oblivious to the fact that someone is shooting right by them when there are no friendlies nearby.

This isn't so bad, but you can't hear the point where you choose to spawn.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

Does anyone know if the light bombs on the attack plane damage tanks at all? I can never tell if I'm terrible at aiming them or if I'm just wasting them on armor.

they do, barely. you're better of lighting him up with your autocannon.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Is there any place to see your class XP progression?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

rap music posted:

they do, barely. you're better of lighting him up with your autocannon.

Light bombs probably need a buff, since they're incredibly easy to avoid even as an infantryman.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 2, 2016

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Is there any place to see your class XP progression?

On the loadout screen of your battlefield.com account.

Mordja posted:

Light bombs probably need a buff, since they incredibly easy to avoid even as an infantryman.

Yeah you're pretty much always better off with the autocannon, which will grind infantry into hamburger meat.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Oh man, a fully crewed tank hunter landship is basically unkillable with semi-competent people. Another tank hunter could conceivably take you out, but every other vehicle just gets overwhelmed by the firepower. Infantry are mulched by the side cannons, and any time you're low on health and getting swarmed just drop a gas grenade and retreat to heal.

Went like, 25-0 just from my side cannon alone. Rest of the tank had similar scores. I feel canister shot is a little overpowered. One hits at a much farther distance than I'd expect. Now that only one of the classes can easily damage vehicles (k-bullets kind of suck), as opposed to 3/4 in BF4, they're beasts.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Going infantry as the cavalry class is some of the most fun I've had in an fps lately. That rifle is so drat satisfying to use, and it's the best feeling when you get a couple headshots in a row.

Went 30-1 without ever using a vehicle, just my cowboy repeater :clint:

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Went like, 25-0 just from my side cannon alone. Rest of the tank had similar scores. I feel canister shot is a little overpowered. One hits at a much farther distance than I'd expect. Now that only one of the classes can easily damage vehicles (k-bullets kind of suck), as opposed to 3/4 in BF4, they're beasts.

Actually all of the classes can damage vehicles, they can all use the light AT grenades which are quite effective. Probably the best counter to an organized landship though is to simply drop bombs on its head, a good hit with the 250kg bombs should take it out instantly, or at the very least disable it so the ground forces can finish it off.

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 2, 2016

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Dezztroy posted:

Going infantry as the cavalry class is some of the most fun I've had in an fps lately. That rifle is so drat satisfying to use, and it's the best feeling when you get a couple headshots in a row.

Went 30-1 without ever using a vehicle, just my cowboy repeater :clint:

Doing this also gives you a broken amount of health. :clint:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

rap music posted:

On the loadout screen of your battlefield.com account.

Thanks. The XP bar was bugged in Edge but I'm able to see it in Chrome.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Game is alright, needs more bolt action rifles tbh.

Controls questions:

Is there any way to rebind plane controls so that Yaw is on the mouse X axis instead of roll? I can clear the key but moving the mouse left-right during the binding screen doesn't do anything.

Also, can you un-inverse plane controls?

Finally, can you set crouch to toggle rather than hold?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'm nodisambiguation on pc, add me for lulz

Fish Fry Andy posted:

They aren't broken, they just take a stupid amount of experience.
They are broken, you don't get class XP after the first round. You need to DC/reconnect.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Captain Gordon posted:

Game is alright, needs more bolt action rifles tbh.

Controls questions:

Is there any way to rebind plane controls so that Yaw is on the mouse X axis instead of roll? I can clear the key but moving the mouse left-right during the binding screen doesn't do anything.

don't know

yes

yes

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

evil_bunnY posted:

They are broken, you don't get class XP after the first round. You need to DC/reconnect.

This is definitely not true anymore.

Captain Gordon posted:

Controls questions:

You have always had to edit the config files for this in every BF. It's a pain in the rear end and I haven't bothered for beta.

Yes.

Yes, but don't. Toggle controls are bad, learn to play without them unless you're missing fingers or something.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
The lack of aim toggle disappoints me.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

K8.0 posted:

This is definitely not true anymore.
hurray!

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

At first I thought gas grenades were kind of "meh" but I'm having a lot of success using the around C. Just equip your trusty shotgun and throw one gas grenade on each floor of the building you're about to storm and you can usually clean it out easy peasy.

Plus killing people while wearing a gas mask feels good for some reason.

Also someone said all gas hurts you, even allied gas, but this is demonstrably untrue. Friendly gas will still make you cough though.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Vatek posted:

The lack of aim toggle disappoints me.

You mean click-to-aim? That is definitely an option.

Sorry, K8.0.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Is it? Weird. I found the crouch toggle easily enough but I completely missed the aim one, I guess.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

SeanBeansShako posted:

As long as you don't mind wearing a khaki kilt now, you'll be in hog heaven. If the UK Assault is a Gurka for the non european maps, he'd better get a Kukri as a melee weapon!

Oh, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Also hell yes to getting a Kukri as a melee weapon.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Vatek posted:

Is it? Weird. I found the crouch toggle easily enough but I completely missed the aim one, I guess.

All the options are buried away it seems.

Options > Gameplay > Advanced > Weapon Zoom > Click.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

All the options are buried away it seems.

Options > Gameplay > Advanced > Weapon Zoom > Click.

The crouch one is a keybind that had to be changed so that's probably why I didn't notice.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Dezztroy posted:

It's such a slog trying to unlock this for the scout, gotta get to rank 3 :negative:. I don't care about the scoped rifles and the unscoped Gewehr you can get early is much worse than the lever action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Aaaand now I've got a bug where I can't buy any melee weapons because I don't have the required kit rank even though I very clearly do.

Does anyone know what the "extras" icons are for the melee weapons? There's a little tank, a little barbed wire, and a little buzz saw looking thing.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 2, 2016