Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Mordja posted:

Everyone mashes space because they think it will let them spawn faster when it doesn't.

It's actually a stupid people button, because it will never help you and can only hurt you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Vegetable posted:

Were there no helicopters in WWI? I have no idea about this stuff. Would be cool to have helicopters.

Barely weapons on bi-planes either until they figured out how not to shoot the propellers :v: .

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's actually a stupid people button, because it will never help you and can only hurt you.

Unless you died in terrible crossfire and being revived just would lead to getting shot immediately.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Vegetable posted:

Were there no helicopters in WWI? I have no idea about this stuff. Would be cool to have helicopters.

Helicopters were WW2, in limited quantities. Korea is when they started getting more companies producing.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
Is anyone else finding the attack plane better than the fighter at shooting down other planes? It just seems to do more damage.

Or maybe I'm just bad.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Vegetable posted:

Nobody made a working helicopter until 1936.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Vegetable posted:

Agreed, needs a transport chopper and a commander. Plus radio contact constantly. More chatter would be good.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
There are never going to be helicopters in this game unless they just completely say gently caress it and go "this is actually alt-history WW1".

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It doesn't really make sense to hew Battlefield to a restricted timeline, especially if it leads to the exclusion of cool stuff. An uninformed player probably wouldn't think this is a WWI game anyway. There's very little period-specific flavor in Battlefield.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Now I'm annoyed by how many completely new players there are. I sometimes get on VoIP and give tips, but yesterday, I tried to ask our squad leader to mark some flags, and about five minutes later (maybe when he looked up his push to talk key) he shouted "nobody cares!" :smith:

Psh, guess he means he doesn't care about ranking up and unlocking cooler weapons. :colbert:

As a counterpoint, I was playing with my friend today, and because we were just gonna play "a round or two", we didn't bother firing up teamspeak - but we would use ingame VoIP here and there. We had a super cool squad leader who would occasionally chip in on VoIP, mark flags, revive like a boss, and was just generally a cool dude. One other guy wasn't really communicating, but was obviously listening in and responding. And our squad was beasting it (and our couple of quick rounds became many, many rounds and a lot of laughs). That's one big reason why I play BF.

Ohmygodsquad posted:

Is anyone else finding the attack plane better than the fighter at shooting down other planes? It just seems to do more damage.

I dunno, I'm no great pilot, and never even tried the fighter plane for the longest time, but it suddenly felt like cheat mode. So nimble and quick. Being able to get behind practically any other plane is better than superior firepower.

Of course in the attack plane, I did this with the tank hunter cannon shell...

https://gfycat.com/IdioticNervousFairyfly

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
The british responses in this are so goooood.

:haw: "Hello chum have some ammo"

"Cheers old boy here's a medkit" :downswords:

The weirdest thing I find with the weapons is seeing rifles with vertical foregrips, was that a thing that ever happened? Earliest I could think of would be like, a tommy gun maybe? Dunno, it seems like a modern thing to me.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Vegetable posted:

It doesn't really make sense to hew Battlefield to a restricted timeline, especially if it leads to the exclusion of cool stuff. An uninformed player probably wouldn't think this is a WWI game anyway. There's very little period-specific flavor in Battlefield.

Every single Battlefield game ever made has been period-specific. The only ones that blur the lines a little are the Bad Company series and BF3/BF4 but those are also pretty explicitly early 2000s to 2020-ish.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I'm sure a player said "ay up, mate" in a Yorkshire accent when he spawned on me.

Shadowplay is such great fun - I set it to record the last 1 minute, then when something cool happens, I just press a key combination.

Unrelated, can you unlock the weapons now? I unlocked them through https://www.battlefield.com/career, but I think they fixed the glitch now.
You need the AT gun. This took me a while to realise it was a quad: https://gfycat.com/ValidAccurateGalapagospenguin

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?
The tank hunting assault plane is badass, protip.. don't go head to head with it. :hellyeah:

https://gfycat.com/AptPlainHarlequinbug

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The weirdest thing I find with the weapons is seeing rifles with vertical foregrips, was that a thing that ever happened? Earliest I could think of would be like, a tommy gun maybe? Dunno, it seems like a modern thing to me.

If you mean the medic's rifle, yeah that was real. It was a "fancy finish" option on the Winchester 1907. I haven't noticed any other examples in the game so far, but they were weirdly committed to having real, accurately rendered guns considering how loose they are with everything else.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Is this game going to have levelution events? Does the sandstorm count as a levelution event?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Everyone talking about the light tank, but the Breakthrough A7V is my favorite by far. Canister shot, great AT abilities, instant self-repair, and HMGs for the gunners. It's a murder machine.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Vatek posted:

Every single Battlefield game ever made has been period-specific. The only ones that blur the lines a little are the Bad Company series and BF3/BF4 but those are also pretty explicitly early 2000s to 2020-ish.

Bad Company takes place in the World In Conflict continuity.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Every game, regardless of era, is improved by adding an M1 Garand. Bad Company 2 understood this perfectly.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Played more without being able to get into the party going on in another server. Took down two light tanks in one life playing support using the light tank grenades. Good times.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Vatek posted:

I've been playing since Battlefield 2, and I don't think you can really tell each game's period unless you have prior knowledge about such stuff.

Also I don't think the BF experience gains anything from period immersion. Mechanics, squad play, and map design are so much more important. Period specificity restricts DICE's options and is no good for anybody.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

:haw: "Hello chum have some ammo"

"Cheers old boy here's a medkit" :downswords:

https://youtu.be/8R5NI-IrUU0

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I have discovered our lord and savior the armored AA truck. That thing is broken as gently caress it's hilarious.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Vegetable posted:

I've been playing since Battlefield 2, and I don't think you can really tell each game's period unless you have prior knowledge about such stuff.

What like you went to school and actually paid attention? Also every battlefield since 2 has been "Contemporary" so long as we don't count the "Vietnam" expansion packs that pop out on the reg.

Like the WW2 battlefields were pretty clearly WW2 games, and as soon as you see tanks/planes in this one it's pretty easy to place it as well.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Not to mention BF1 is explicitly advertised as being a World War 1 game and they clearly went to great lengths to make sure that virtually every usable piece of equipment in the game is specific to that period.

I honestly have no idea how you can be under the impression that Battlefield games are not period-specific because that is one of the defining traits of the series.

Vatek fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 3, 2016

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Haha yea this is basically what I was thinking of. It's like a monty python skit

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

All the BF games feel vaguely modern and I can't say I care enough about military technology to pinpoint which period each belongs.

In any case, my main point is that period specificity doesn't add anything to the series. They could have helicopters and horses and submarines in the same game, nobody would bat an eyelash. It would also be insanely fun.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
You know what's great? When you finally figure out the ranging on the howitzers around the map and can just start picking off snipers with ease.

I spent like half a game at A just dropping shells on all the blinky lights that popped up.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
nailed a sentry off his horse with a burst from the tailgun on the bomber :hellyeah:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Where can I read more about that wacky guns in the game?

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

keyframe posted:

I have discovered our lord and savior the armored AA truck. That thing is broken as gently caress it's hilarious.

The best part is that it shuts down plane ghostcapping and armoured cars can't do anything to it.

On a completely different note, everyone has seen light tank rampages but I hope these clips are semi educational (spoiler I am not good at videos).

Namely you can disable sponson guns well before engine cripple, an autocannon is terrifying against heavy tanks and the secondary canister fire can three shot infantry 25m away, provided you ignore the positively terrible reticule and can aim (i.e not me). It's easily twice the size than it needs to be so you need to eyeball your shots when being rushed by infantry.

Stick to the main gun honestly, it's like being an attack helicopter gunner but without plane rams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMujodGVrmo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNiz-137HJk

also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELkoOKW2YK8

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
Honestly the time limit is my least favorite thing about this game.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
When does the beta end?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Landship was terrorizing C point. I took a pot shot at it with the AT rocket rifle thing. I disabled the main gun. Driver ragequit instantly, with "loving bullshit game". :allears:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I like horsing up to a light tank real quick and dropping three grenades instantly, that usually fucks up their day. I mean it's not great for anything, but light tanks especially.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Goodness the light tank is broken, how absurd. I feel like the Landship and Mark V are strong but quite limited by teamwork and coordination and speed and coaxial limitations but the light tank just makes anyone a complete god.

How much dynamite / AT grenades does it take to kill one? It seems like a lot

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I think if the light tank's turret didn't move 1 to 1 with the mouse it wouldn't be so terribly unbalanced. Actually I mean that for all tanks

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Nobody supplies ammo whyyy

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

Open Beta was fun (says me). Spent most of my time bareback slashing dudes with old timey swords. I was surprised how many people didn't even see it coming. I WAS ON A HORSE.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Bad Company takes place in the World In Conflict continuity.

Massive could have made World in Conflict 2, but apparently The Division was so much better of an idea.

Where can I read more about that wacky guns in the game?

In really hard-to-find books on obscure weaponry that each have like one paragraph on the gun, or you can watch C&Rsenal or Forgotten Weapons which both go into huge detail on each one (C&Rsenal does features on more common guns with the occasional weirdo, while FW likes to focus on the rarer/stranger pieces).

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Vegetable posted:

All the BF games feel vaguely modern and I can't say I care enough about military technology to pinpoint which period each belongs.

In any case, my main point is that period specificity doesn't add anything to the series. They could have helicopters and horses and submarines in the same game, nobody would bat an eyelash. It would also be insanely fun.

You don't need to know about military vehicles and weapons to know that this game is very clearly set in the time period of WW1, if simply from the general design and construction of the planes, along with the fact the Ottoman Empire still exists.