Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Please don't do the article. You'll run out of ink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Mr Tophat was the worst thing o happen to this thread's culture.

i'm glad tophat is dead

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Star Marine launch promised between now and the end of the year :thumbsup:

You know, he's not wrong.

it is fair to say that the game is more lethal to the player than Call of Duty since your typical COD mission doesn't involve falling into infinity if you get within 3 foot of an enemy soldier or your clothes / items exploding off of your body as your computer locks up shortly after you are thrown six miles in the air.
[/quote]

This is true.

COD:IW has portable black hole generators, and tactical nukes.

SC has trying to leave your ship via the loading ramp, and quantum travel.

Hardly fair, really.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
So star citizen is begging now? Whats after that? Denial? Acceptance?

Anyways, here is a story about ants that live in a nuclear bunker,

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/09/bizarre-ant-colony-discovered-in-an-abandoned-polish-nuclear-weapons-bunker/

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Also, heres an owl

http://i.imgur.com/wSn8QrS.gifv

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lime Tonics posted:

So star citizen is begging now? Whats after that? Denial? Acceptance?

Anyways, here is a story about ants that live in a nuclear bunker,

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/09/bizarre-ant-colony-discovered-in-an-abandoned-polish-nuclear-weapons-bunker/

Theyve already blown through the TOS denial. Acceptance will come shortly, if it hasn't already.

They're already trying to make you guilty, so it cant be that far off.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

They won't reach acceptance, they'll fold because bankruptcy and then point the fingers at the backers who got refunds, and deny that they were ever going to fail if it wasn't for those tricksy goons.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
if they have nothing new for citizencon and money is a concern i'd say they have <6 months remaining.

they might drum up sales for the anniversary sale but the only reason this month was 4+M was they straight up told everyone they would be playing 3.0 in the next 90 days.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Megabound posted:

They won't reach acceptance, they'll fold because bankruptcy and then point the fingers at the backers who got refunds, and deny that they were ever going to fail if it wasn't for those tricksy goons.

yeah I'm also going with the dolchstoss-legende when it fails.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Lazrin posted:

it's clearly the case... he is all-consumed by star citizen, chris roberts, and anyone who might be trying to prove his crusade as the self-righteous campaign that it is. only serving to validate him by association, so he can remain... somehow... relevant. at least in his own eyes.

he is absolutely consumed by this, and it's taking its toll. mark my words.

You know, I don't actually disagree with you about this or about how he's probably wrong with his latest predictions. This is the exact pattern that he went through after last year's gamescom- CIG made a shaky reveal after a year's silence, Derek came back with furious denial that it was anything but smoke and mirrors (remember all the anger and experimenting, about how space couldn't possibly be as big as they said due to 64-bit imprecision?), and CIG made a general release. In that sense, I think it's very likely that you're right and he's either being mislead or making poo poo up.

So I think it's pretty likely that we'll see the exact same thing this year- the last couple of AtV's are at least evidence that it wasn't entirely a mockup, there's other people flying around on the planet and exploring the assets used in the latest demo.

But on the other hand, who gives a drat? What they released last year was way more than D.S. said was going to happen, and it was still utter garbage that never got fixed. The training area was so broken they pulled it entirely. Arena commander was a complete trainwreck and remains so to this day. Star Marine was teased as being weeks away and then vanished completely. The Arc Corp map was released to rapturous applause without having any of the ship landing stuff that they originally used it to demo. To this day it's a disconnected wasteland of shops where you can buy generic clothing but not ships, never ships, because that might impact their bottom line. You still cannot do anything in the game except spawn ship, fly to area, glitch out and die or engage in janky FPS combat, repeat. Nothing they've demo'd this year looks likely to expand that core gameplay loop.

There will be a 2.6 release this year. I'm even willing to bet it will also have landing on procgen planets. But that doesn't mean it will be good or even halfway up to what they've promised/sold.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

thatguy posted:

God bless you archive.is.
http://archive.is/iQjqQ

"k-kill... meee..."

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

A owl

JazzPaws
Aug 10, 2014

- Ponzi Scheme Survivor -

Wafflz posted:

CIG just stopped the counter at 42 because it's Sandi's favorite number and not at all related to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

No they moved the counter forward to 42...

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

As a non-native english speaker: why? Isn't owl pronounced with a vowel at the start? Have I said that word wrong my whole life? :ohdear:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

tuo posted:

As a non-native english speaker: why? Isn't owl pronounced with a vowel at the start? Have I said that word wrong my whole life? :ohdear:

Worry not good goon you're right, it just reminded me of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQMsgDnH0j8

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

tuo posted:

Nah, it's an.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

if you're Christopher Robin, it's a wol :v:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

tuo posted:

You're doing good. A lot of native English speakers don't even realise that's the rule.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

I find it hard to believe anything this guy says anymore, I believe in the game!

Cigstomper58
Aug 17, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sarsapariller posted:

You know, I don't actually disagree with you about this or about how he's probably wrong with his latest predictions. This is the exact pattern that he went through after last year's gamescom- CIG made a shaky reveal after a year's silence, Derek came back with furious denial that it was anything but smoke and mirrors (remember all the anger and experimenting, about how space couldn't possibly be as big as they said due to 64-bit imprecision?), and CIG made a general release. In that sense, I think it's very likely that you're right and he's either being mislead or making poo poo up.

So I think it's pretty likely that we'll see the exact same thing this year- the last couple of AtV's are at least evidence that it wasn't entirely a mockup, there's other people flying around on the planet and exploring the assets used in the latest demo.

But on the other hand, who gives a drat? What they released last year was way more than D.S. said was going to happen, and it was still utter garbage that never got fixed. The training area was so broken they pulled it entirely. Arena commander was a complete trainwreck and remains so to this day. Star Marine was teased as being weeks away and then vanished completely. The Arc Corp map was released to rapturous applause without having any of the ship landing stuff that they originally used it to demo. To this day it's a disconnected wasteland of shops where you can buy generic clothing but not ships, never ships, because that might impact their bottom line. You still cannot do anything in the game except spawn ship, fly to area, glitch out and die or engage in janky FPS combat, repeat. Nothing they've demo'd this year looks likely to expand that core gameplay loop.

There will be a 2.6 release this year. I'm even willing to bet it will also have landing on procgen planets. But that doesn't mean it will be good or even halfway up to what they've promised/sold.

Everyone look at this earnest response to lazrin. Just look at it.

Also theres no way they get even half of 3.0s "features" in the pu. The only question is if they delay it or release a massively reduced 3.0 for xmas

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Cigstomper58 posted:

Also theres no way they get even half of 3.0s "features" in the pu. The only question is if they delay it or release a massively reduced 3.0 for xmas

Patch Notes:

-Incremented 2.5.000.1.2.fdg to 3.0z

Merry Xmas!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sarsapariller posted:

Did you buy back in again?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Cigstomper58 posted:

I don't really enjoy page after page of ironic shitposting, and I'd rather have a conversation about the state of the game even if it means talking to the troll. I get a bit annoyed at people siding with Derek unilaterally- I enjoy his antics as much as anyone, and if people are going to egg him on, okay, but it's important to keep in touch with the actual state of things or you end up in a disconnected echo chamber that has as much bearing on reality as the starcitizen subreddit. He's been pretty consistently wrong for a year now about the the company's finances and whether or not they're capable of getting the next build out the door. He's been consistently right about other things, most notably the hilarious corruption and incompetence of upper management, but that doesn't mean he gets a pass forever. Note that I'm not arguing that the game is good or that it will ever be finished. Just that the current thread narrative that they won't even get the build out the door matches last year's about how the PU they demo'd wasn't even remotely possible.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Did you buy back in again?

CIG sent me a really sweet letter about all the great times we'd had together and I decided to give it one more shot.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Sep 3, 2016

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

CIG sent me a really sweet letter about all the great times we'd had together and I decided to give it one more shot.

Dick pics don't count

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Sarsapariller posted:

I don't really enjoy page after page of ironic shitposting, and I'd rather have a conversation about the state of the game even if it means talking to the troll. I get a bit annoyed at people siding with Derek unilaterally- I enjoy his antics as much as anyone, and if people are going to egg him on, okay, but it's important to keep in touch with the actual state of things or you end up in a disconnected echo chamber that has as much bearing on reality as the starcitizen subreddit. He's been pretty consistently wrong for a year now about the the company's finances and whether or not they're capable of getting the next build out the door. He's been consistently right about other things, most notably the hilarious corruption and incompetence of upper management, but that doesn't mean he gets a pass forever. Note that I'm not arguing that the game is good or that it will ever be finished. Just that the current thread narrative that they won't even get the build out the door matches last year's about how the PU they demo'd wasn't even remotely possible.

:psyduck:

So tell us how much fun you're having.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Next eighteen months:
  • 2.6 with Star Marine
  • CitCon trailer with SQ42 in-game footage
  • CitCon 2016
  • SQ42 episode 1 launch
  • Christmas live stream
  • SQ42 episode 2 launch
  • CitCon 2017
  • SQ42 episode 3 launch
  • E3 2018 (SC full release date announced)
  • CitCon 2018 (SC final release)
  • GOTY awards
  • Christmas live stream/last concept sale
  • Lowtax finally shuts the forums down

I may be wrong about the order of some of the events, but I think this is a reasonable timeline

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Space sim dudes don't care about this ,,fun´´ you're so obsessed with

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

his nibs posted:

Dick pics don't count

For a true citizen, dick pics are not required:
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/2ilmw2/star_citizen_the_macross_saga/?st=isn0div9&sh=2852f850

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Game's still poo poo. Just because they've released updates doesn't make it any less poo poo. Tried it today for the first time in 7 or 8 months, since they've got that free fly going on- it took ~5 minutes just to load, same old wank pod on the station. As I got up, somebody was bitching in chat that his big non-functional space gas station ship had been rammed and it had flagged him as a criminal causing security to shoot him. I could hear the spacebullets echoing through the spaceair even from inside the station. Spawned a 350, went over to get into it, through all the ludicrous animations. They've hosed up the HUDs somehow, now everything is displaying on the cockpit screens which were never built to be readable by people on monitors- they're going to have to have the artists go through and do custom UI's for every single loving ship, which is hilarious. Tried to navigate the like 15 buttons they've now added because they don't have any idea how to make a ship maneuver in 3 dimensions. Finally got underway- the security ship was still just merrily wailing on the starfarer that had been sitting there the whole time, shields still up. Flew to the asteroid belt around Yela and decided to land on one- at least now there's a button to deploy the landing gear, I guess? Got out of the chair, tried to get down the ladder, physics glitched and my character kicked the ship off of the tiny asteroid at about 100m/s. Couldn't figure out how to kill myself and couldn't be bothered to respawn, quit the game.

In other news, Witcher 3 is really good and I've been playing a ton of it lately.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Next eighteen months:

I like the happy middle ground between "Nothing will ever come out again, ever" and "Everything will happen exactly as Chris Roberts has foretold." Some stuff will come out, after some delays, demonstrating a little bit of progress and mostly just loving everything up further. Personally I find that funnier.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
suck my oval office ecks dee

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Sarsapariller posted:

Blah blah blahblahblah whiney whine blah blah

Derek Smart was right :smuggo:

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Sarsapariller posted:

I like the happy middle ground between "Nothing will ever come out again, ever" and "Everything will happen exactly as Chris Roberts has foretold." Some stuff will come out, after some delays, demonstrating a little bit of progress and mostly just loving everything up further. Personally I find that funnier.

Why is it hard to believe their finances are nearing a critical state?

Their demonstrated expenditures are huge, and last month's income when averaged with the previous two is still below the estimated burn rate given the number of studios/employees they have. They spent a ton of money on Gamescom, and now they are literally begging people to reconsider their refund requests.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

I don't really enjoy page after page of ironic shitposting, and I'd rather have a conversation about the state of the game even if it means talking to the troll. I get a bit annoyed at people siding with Derek unilaterally- I enjoy his antics as much as anyone, and if people are going to egg him on, okay, but it's important to keep in touch with the actual state of things or you end up in a disconnected echo chamber that has as much bearing on reality as the starcitizen subreddit. He's been pretty consistently wrong for a year now about the the company's finances and whether or not they're capable of getting the next build out the door. He's been consistently right about other things, most notably the hilarious corruption and incompetence of upper management, but that doesn't mean he gets a pass forever.

The Star Engine is broken, players do not fly or board ships, the player avatar and camera is dumped to a central point on each map while the player takes control of the ship skin, plus posed fake avatar on a new camera. That's why you get the weird bugs of two avatars spawning in a cockpit and see bent avatars sitting in space controlling distant ships via telekinesis and bendy wrists, it fucks up the camera transfer. At this stage it's very unlikely this will ever be fixed.

The largest ship they have is the Starfarer which slows instances to a crawl when spawned, they struggle to get 12 players in one instance. How far off do you reckon the pitch video bengal carrier is?

Without public access to the company's finances when they will run out of cash is all guesswork, the employees of 38 Studios weren't any better informed about the money situation than the public, so insider information won't make your guesses that much more accurate. That's how these things always end, payroll is missed and excuses are made for why it was just a blip, then a short while later you come back from lunch and the doors are locked.

So what you're basically complaining about is not being told exactly when CIG will go bust, well that depends on how gullible the people who continue to give them money are, which is influenced by wider public confidence in the project, which is largely based on stories about how much money they have.

Raising 4 million in August doesn't change the fundamental technical problems they seem completely unable to fix, nor change the fact that as a new month begins you have to immediately start thinking about sales.

There is complete silence from CIG on how much money is left because any answer they give would hurt future funding and shake confidence in idiots that think Chris Roberts doesn't have to pay people.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

D1E posted:

Why is it hard to believe their finances are nearing a critical state?

Their demonstrated expenditures are huge, and last month's income when averaged with the previous two is still below the estimated burn rate given the number of studios/employees they have. They spent a ton of money on Gamescom, and now they are literally begging people to reconsider their refund requests.

All of this is true, but the same was also true last year at this time when Derek was in here saying that they wouldn't last until December. And in December when he was saying they had about 3 months of revenue left, due to the November sale. And so on. I'm just saying, consider the source. They may very well be on the verge of collapse and I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire. But according to the "Sources" they've been perpetually in that state for a year now- I suspect they'll hold out a while longer. I've watched two MMOs fail in the last year, EQNext and Firefall, and neither one went out spectacularly- both went very quiet for months and months before finally turning the lights out. When they stop producing AtV, that'll be the canary to watch out for.

AP posted:

So what you're basically complaining about is not being told exactly when CIG will go bust, well that depends on how gullible the people who continue to give them money are, which is influenced by wider public confidence in the project, which is largely based on stories about how much money they have.

If I'm complaining about anything, it's about the arguments against the company losing credibility when they go to the most extreme position and are later shown to be wrong. "It's never coming out" begins to look a little weak when things continue to come out- even if they're not very good things.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 3, 2016

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Marching Powder posted:

uhoh lazrin is saying things that don't make any sense if you're not thousands deep into a space game better seriously ask him to explain himself because he's really good at that and then get legitimately angry at him and call him weak names when he fails. carry this on for 2-10 pages.

:cop::cop::cop::cop::cop::cop::cop::cop::cop::cop::cop::cop::cop::cop::cop::cop::cop::cop:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

If I'm complaining about anything, it's about the arguments against the company losing credibility when they go to the most extreme position and are later shown to be wrong. "It's never coming out" begins to look a little weak when things continue to come out- even if they're not very good things.

Star Citizen is never coming out. Four years after the kickstarting a bridge, 2 years after trains were meant to be crossing it, the guy in charge is still talking about digging foundations and how they'll be the best ever.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Sarsapariller posted:

All of this is true, but the same was also true last year at this time when Derek was in here saying that they wouldn't last until December. And in December when he was saying they had about 3 months of revenue left, due to the November sale. And so on. I'm just saying, consider the source. They may very well be on the verge of collapse and I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire. But according to the "Sources" they've been perpetually in that state for a year now- I suspect they'll hold out a while longer. I've watched two MMOs fail in the last year, EQNext and Firefall, and neither one went out spectacularly- both went very quiet for months and months before finally turning the lights out. When they stop producing AtV, that'll be the canary to watch out for.

Last year following CitizenCON and through Christmas spergs opened their wallets due to the continuous string of ship sales. Additionally, one of the sources claiming to have insider info revealed that CIG/RSI had taken a loan. Those two things could certainly have resulted in months of continued operation past Derek's previous "deadline".

Monthly income YTD has been lower however, and CIG/RSI desperately needs to pull off the same kind of monthly income post CitizenCON 2016. Furthermore, the likelihood of additional loans is decreasing.

The previous primary "faces" of the company have been largely absent, which isn't a good sign.

I'm not saying Derek is right, and I personally believe he has a huge conflict of interest in this fight to begin with - being the developer of a "competing" space ship video game. Mostly I'm just saying that the money has to run out eventually, and Crobbers certainly hasn't been miserly with backer funds to date.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Plus he's just so clearly an imbecile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/771795400009342984

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/50w08h/derek_looking_at_attending_citizencon_this_year/d77ho3h

Accelerwraith is responsible for CitizenCon 2016 security?

• Locked thread