Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

404notfound posted:

Heavy armor won't protect you from a bayonet charge :black101:

It's kind of dumb that it doesn't protect from the front

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Chronojam posted:

It's kind of dumb that it doesn't protect from the front

To be fair, that stuff is pretty much a helmet for the torso. Stop splinters and shrapnel, nothing else. IRL dudes wearing that would be on sentry duty with static machine guns.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Had two rounds of infinite snipers and my team going blindly into C and ignoring the rest of the map to get their CoD deathmatch fix.

I loving hate snipers so much.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

verbal enema posted:

Using this gun in a game is dishonourable lol come the gently caress on its a beta have some fun

I dig, just feels weirdly wrong going 50 - 2 with something that feels way way op (or against summer children beta players)

I dare you to find a way for me to not enjoy this game tho.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I am terrible with bombs. I tried level bombing, but the spread was too high. I tried dive bombing but I can't get used to flying through the scope, and the spread still seems high. The big bombers big bombs are pretty awesome though, if they actually hit something. Those carpet bombing things just kind of seen like a waste of time

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
I don't think it's necessary to use the scope to drop bombs, I encourage people to fly low however!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qsj0D4fy7k

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Saber owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtIHyTZ0FmU

I'm mediocre.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005

Half the time I try to saber people I end up trampling them instead, same difference I suppose.

I also refuse to get off my horsie though. We are one.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Ohmygodsquad posted:

Half the time I try to saber people I end up trampling them instead, same difference I suppose.

I also refuse to get off my horsie though. We are one.

Dismounted cavalry officer is actually a pretty good support class.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Delacroix posted:

I don't think it's necessary to use the scope to drop bombs, I encourage people to fly low however!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qsj0D4fy7k

Similarly, the antitank cannon on the tank-killer variant of the attack plane is the best anti-bomber weapon in the game right now.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I appreciate that not every class has a way to gently caress up vehicles in this game. The worst thing about driving Tanks around in 4 was that any infantry had the potential to do damage to your tank. At least here it seems like it's reglegated to just the assault? Although the AT gun is going to get annoying to deal with when everybody eventually has one.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I appreciate that not every class has a way to gently caress up vehicles in this game. The worst thing about driving Tanks around in 4 was that any infantry had the potential to do damage to your tank. At least here it seems like it's reglegated to just the assault? Although the AT gun is going to get annoying to deal with when everybody eventually has one.

the scout can use K bullets which do some damage to vehicles, and I think every class can get an anti-tank grenade, but the bulk of the damage does come form assault

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Oh the anti-tank grenade is on every class? That i did not notice.

Well at the very least at least only the assault is going to be the biggest threat then. Anti tank grenades on their own dont seem to do to much damage unless there are a bunch thrown at you at once.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
How do you use the anti tank grenades as calvary on PS4? I remember doing it once but I can't figure it out now. The directional pad just drops ammo and health packs.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Eonwe posted:

the scout can use K bullets which do some damage to vehicles, and I think every class can get an anti-tank grenade, but the bulk of the damage does come form assault

K bullets are surprisingly effective if only because taking damage cancels repairs.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Oh the anti-tank grenade is on every class? That i did not notice.

Well at the very least at least only the assault is going to be the biggest threat then. Anti tank grenades on their own dont seem to do to much damage unless there are a bunch thrown at you at once.

sorry,, wasn't super clear. The anti-tank gadget that the assault gets is unique, but everyone can have a light anti-tank grenade in place of their frag/gas/etc

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fish Fry Andy posted:

K bullets are surprisingly effective if only because taking damage cancels repairs.

Yea, my biggest problem isn't gettking killed by K bullets, its fighting a tank, trying to repair before I get attacked again and a scout is plinking me

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Stolen from Reddit, because I wanted to know what the beta tried to tell me. Apparenly >60 fps can still generate a low fps warning. :allears:

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
Still hoping they'll drop in one more map before the beta ends. Maybe something a little less sniper friendly.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Randler posted:

Stolen from Reddit, because I wanted to know what the beta tried to tell me. Apparenly >60 fps can still generate a low fps warning. :allears:

I kept wondering what the gently caress that was. My PC fluctuates between warning and severe on FPS :( my poo poo is old and it isn't getting replaced anytime soon. Everything is basically clocked as hard as it will go...so womp womp. In other news no one gives a poo poo about I'm truly awful at shooters. Hooray. Finally got the AT rocket gun and a shotty though so that's a minor improvement.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 3, 2016

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

This game is pretty fun but I have no idea how to use the medic stuff

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Harlock posted:

This game is pretty fun but I have no idea how to use the medic stuff

You can drop bags or throw them (you'll see a button prompt when you are looking at a wounded player). The syringe is really finicky, though. The time between someone dying and being able to revive them seems really short this time around, and if the player is holding down the button to ignore a revive so they can get to the deployment screen faster, I don't think you can revive them at all (99% of players do this always, even if a medic is right next to them).

If you are playing with friends that aren't dumb as rocks, medic is amazing and can completely turn the tide against superior numbers. If you are playing with pubbies, they are honestly kinda useless, aside from having some really nice guns. I generally just play support if I'm playing with random people and want to get a bunch of points, because everyone is constantly dumping mags into enemies that are only pinpoints on the horizon and just chucking grenades into flag zones, so you can follow a squad around near an objective and toss ammo bags almost faster than you can keep up with.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
Light tanks are broken as poo poo, you can basically drive around all game, shooting stuff and never die once, not even close to death a single time..

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Descar posted:

Light tanks are broken as poo poo, you can basically drive around all game, shooting stuff and never die once, not even close to death a single time..

Same with the Heavies too tbh, as a distinctly average player I had a 25-0 game the other day just by hiding being some rocks to self repair a single time somebody tried to fight back

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Am I ghoulish in wishing this game had some actual gore? Soldiers being blown to chunks by tank cannons, actual bloodstains when you run bash someone's brains in with a shovel. :black101:

It just looks so clean and sterile, which was never something I was bothered by in the older Battlefields.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I really wanted to scream HEAL YOURSELF at my screen, but anyway solid saber action 10/10.

Also while riding your horse the cavalry rifle is laser accurate. As long as you can adjust for travel time you can consistently land shots from across the desert. Like, from the British side of D all the way to A, easily. At first I thought the cavalry class was horrible trash that you only picked to gently caress around, but I'm stupid and wrong.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 3, 2016

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

You can drop bags or throw them (you'll see a button prompt when you are looking at a wounded player). The syringe is really finicky, though. The time between someone dying and being able to revive them seems really short this time around, and if the player is holding down the button to ignore a revive so they can get to the deployment screen faster, I don't think you can revive them at all (99% of players do this always, even if a medic is right next to them).

If you are playing with friends that aren't dumb as rocks, medic is amazing and can completely turn the tide against superior numbers. If you are playing with pubbies, they are honestly kinda useless, aside from having some really nice guns. I generally just play support if I'm playing with random people and want to get a bunch of points, because everyone is constantly dumping mags into enemies that are only pinpoints on the horizon and just chucking grenades into flag zones, so you can follow a squad around near an objective and toss ammo bags almost faster than you can keep up with.

The fact that they went for a minimalist hud this time around really bothers me because as a Medic that was looking straight at a squadmate that had just died, there was no indication at all that he had just died and was revivable maybe there's something on the HUD that pops up whenever sombody calls for a medic but gently caress i've ever seen it show up. You don't get to see a health bar but you do see a hard to read at a glance circle that always looks to me like sombody needs healing. At least if you throw your gadgets the "quick" way then it doesn't throw them out if the person you're throwing them too isn't in need of it

I also don't see why they went backwards from Hardline in getting health and ammo department? I didn't find anything wrong with just going up to a medic/support and just sucking ammo and health out of them without having to bother them to drop a pack. Although i suppose the laser guided health and ammo packs work as an okay replacement.

Also not sure how i feel about the new vehicle repairing system as of yet but it certainly reinforces the fact that you really need to work as a team to bring down vehicles now since they are entirely self sufficient if left alone long enough. Maybe if they required you to jump out of the vehicle to do the repairs like the old games it would be a bit better for me personally.

One final note, is it just me or does spawning in as a different "character" (calvaryman,flamethrower,heavy MG) give you more health? I swear i've had so many of the guys with special guns or on a horse or whatever just run straight up into my face and kill me regardless of how many bullets i put into them. That or the games netcode really is so much worse than 4's like it feels and the game just generates tons of hitmarkers or something.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

The special classes have different HP/protections.

VVVVV "Inexcusable" is excessive and it's not really that big of a deal IMO.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 3, 2016

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

There's a bunch of design decisions that are just inexcusable TBH. Like if you're sitting next to a med/cav why the gently caress are you not getting packs? Not pressing E, no him pressing whatever, if you're close and unsuppressed you should just heal. Same with ammo next to support/tanks, and the squad system makes no loving sense (and you can still squad hop).

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

The fact that they went for a minimalist hud this time around really bothers me because as a Medic that was looking straight at a squadmate that had just died, there was no indication at all that he had just died and was revivable maybe there's something on the HUD that pops up whenever sombody calls for a medic but gently caress i've ever seen it show up. You don't get to see a health bar but you do see a hard to read at a glance circle that always looks to me like sombody needs healing. At least if you throw your gadgets the "quick" way then it doesn't throw them out if the person you're throwing them too isn't in need of it

I also don't see why they went backwards from Hardline in getting health and ammo department? I didn't find anything wrong with just going up to a medic/support and just sucking ammo and health out of them without having to bother them to drop a pack. Although i suppose the laser guided health and ammo packs work as an okay replacement.

Also not sure how i feel about the new vehicle repairing system as of yet but it certainly reinforces the fact that you really need to work as a team to bring down vehicles now since they are entirely self sufficient if left alone long enough. Maybe if they required you to jump out of the vehicle to do the repairs like the old games it would be a bit better for me personally.

One final note, is it just me or does spawning in as a different "character" (calvaryman,flamethrower,heavy MG) give you more health? I swear i've had so many of the guys with special guns or on a horse or whatever just run straight up into my face and kill me regardless of how many bullets i put into them. That or the games netcode really is so much worse than 4's like it feels and the game just generates tons of hitmarkers or something.

There's a little flashing symbol if someone requests a revive, but unless you are playing with friends you probably won't see it, because most people just hit "skip revive" and most medics don't bother reviving even if you use it (I use it all the time and I've been revived literally once, even when there's a medic standing right next to / on top of my corpse, which is often). The health circle is definitely a bit too tiny, but tbh I just mash R1 any time a friendly runs into view because you can pitch health bags like fastballs while they run off into the distance.

And yeah, the classes with pickups give you a ton more health, it seems like it takes about 4x as many shots to put them down as a normal dude. Might be a bit much considering it already takes quite a few bullets to kill someone unless you are hitting them in the head (compared to other FPSes, anyway). Cavalry gets a health boost too, though I think it's a much smaller one, made up for by the fact that your horse has its own health bar. If you dismount, you are noticeably tougher than most infantry, but when I'm actually riding I don't seem to take a whole lot more punishment than normal unless they are hitting my horse instead of me. Special classes still get insta-killed by bayonet charges, at least, which is super satisfying.

edit: Holy poo poo, the difference between starting weapons and the Rank 1 weapons is nuts. The medic's rank 1 rifle takes like half as many body shots to kill someone.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 4, 2016

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpTbNwfZ-sk

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

There's a little flashing symbol if someone requests a revive, but unless you are playing with friends you probably won't see it,

I think in the Beta at least the notification is bugged, I saw it a few times on the first day but a few of my friends and I that play medic haven't seen the notification since.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Dice needs to implement a new version of hotwire with only horses ASAP or i won't buy this garbage game

I'm totally buying this garbage game

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2PZAslOMRI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBusrT5_N_k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e8KgAznaY8

DoctorStrangelove fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 4, 2016

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
I wasn't sure if I liked the flamethrower or not, but then a jeep was introduced into the equation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjTKBgBh8hE

Also, gently caress the heavy shotgun haters, I've counter-sniped with that glorious bastard.

Jedrick fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 4, 2016

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
There's something about doing goofy poo poo in a serious historical setting that I'm glad Battlefield has come back to.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Hello is the 64 player count for PC only or all platforms?

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
So I discovered the the best use of the AT launcher thing for Assault is picking off snipers from halfway across the map when you spot a lens flare. Game continues to be good.

Now I just need to work out the best place to order it from. Anyone able to point me to a good deal?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

KM Scorchio posted:

So I discovered the the best use of the AT launcher thing for Assault is picking off snipers from halfway across the map when you spot a lens flare. Game continues to be good.

Now I just need to work out the best place to order it from. Anyone able to point me to a good deal?

GOG is doing a code that is 20% off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Vatek posted:

There are never going to be helicopters in this game unless they just completely say gently caress it and go "this is actually alt-history WW1".

Battlefield 1942 - Secret Weapons of WW2 would like to have a word with you.
And that word is JETPACKS.