Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
You pretty much get the gist of Emma if you do her final bonding event and have read/payed attention to everything, especially the "Other Books" in the library.

The real enigma is actually Beryl because it's unclear whether she's actually mysteriously important or the writers are just trolling. She has a few mysterious lines here and there that could either be her just messing around and roleplaying or hints at actually serious things. I'm leaning more toward the latter since a second playthrough made it clear that she can tell the future beyond just vague guesses, which was mostly the humor of the fortune telling event on future playthroughs. Her repeated trolling with the real 7 mysterious also seemed too serious to just be a joke. Either way, she's definitely an NPC I'll be watching closely in CS2. Another such NPC is Andre since I have my suspicions that he was just Blueblanc in disguise given most of his lines sound like things Blueblanc would say and he's pretty much always around during big events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Once upon a time, simply being suspected of owning a battle mech could get you burned at the stake. Her clan has had to be secretive ever since.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 4, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Decus posted:

You pretty much get the gist of Emma if you do her final bonding event and have read/payed attention to everything, especially the "Other Books" in the library.

The real enigma is actually Beryl because it's unclear whether she's actually mysteriously important or the writers are just trolling. She has a few mysterious lines here and there that could either be her just messing around and roleplaying or hints at actually serious things. I'm leaning more toward the latter since a second playthrough made it clear that she can tell the future beyond just vague guesses, which was mostly the humor of the fortune telling event on future playthroughs. Her repeated trolling with the real 7 mysterious also seemed too serious to just be a joke. Either way, she's definitely an NPC I'll be watching closely in CS2. Another such NPC is Andre since I have my suspicions that he was just Blueblanc in disguise given most of his lines sound like things Blueblanc would say and he's pretty much always around during big events.

Dunno if she can still tell fortunes. She loses the ability to see the future at the very end of the game.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Endorph posted:

Could they have? Her drama is involved but it's not like she knew everything that was going down, or what the endgame was. Even if she told everyone everything, things were already in motion and there were secrets she wasn't privy to.

I guess my logic is Emma's knowledge would have led to Vita being revealed which would cause the party to consult the RMP which would have led to a further investigation which would have led to Vita being discovered as an Ouroboros member. Whether or not that would have turned back to the ILF is a mystery, but from there it isn't too big a stretch. I might be reaching though.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Slur posted:

Spoilers

I know pretty much everyone in this thread's finished Cold Steel or isn't playing it yet, but are we just posting endgame spoilers now? Not trying to berate you or anything, just wondering if you ought to be tagging some of that or if the thread's not bothered.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Emma does not know about Vita. This is stated umabigiously at the end of CS1 so it isn't a spoiler. She has absolutely no idea that Vita is there except (possibly) spotting her bird for a second if you take her along on the clothing trip.

Here is the context from CS2 which is a minimal spoiler and I've posted once already Vita specifically used her magic to bar Emma from seeing her.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

we're kind of mix-and-match on spoiler tagging cold steel stuff but the game's been out for nearly a year and the sequel comes out in 3 days.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Some people are slow okay???

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cold Steel 1 just went on heavy discount and became available on PSNow so it seems polite to spoiler-tag the ending because there's a good chance new people are playing it. YMMV of course.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Endorph posted:

we're kind of mix-and-match on spoiler tagging cold steel stuff but the game's been out for nearly a year and the sequel comes out in 3 days.

I just figured since the sequel's coming out there might be a few new people coming to the thread jumping into the series, but it doesn't really matter if nobody's too fussed.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Trying to transcribe Confession has taught me transcribing piano music is extremely hard, even for simple pieces. I have sympathy for those who went before me and made errors in the transcription; I've got a working copy, but there are definitely notes I'm missing in the back half of the piece.

Is the Eidos in the name of SC's title track, Shrine of Eidos, the same word that's rendered as Aidios in the Trails in the Sky localization? I feel like that's the only explanation that makes sense, but I don't know Japanese so I can't actually check.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Yeah, it's the same. Edios is a company in the west though which is likely why they went with Adios or whatever it is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, Eidos was changed to Aidios because there's a video game company named Eidos and they were worried about copyright.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yeah, Eidos is a transliteration of the Japanese rendering of the Goddess' name.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Cool thanks. Yeah, I figured it wasn't that Falcom were big fans of Deus Ex's publisher.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
So should we all unanimously agree to not spoiler tag cold steel 1 stuff?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's a spoiler tag dude, not tax exemptions. Just do whatever you feel like and use your own judgment. There's no need to hold a threadwide vote.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I mean, I'm still plodding through FC, so spoiler tags for major stuff would be appreciated considering this is the general falcom thread.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Slur posted:

i'm glad that's what you got out of people saying "uh there might be some people just getting into CS now but do whatever man"

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Slur posted:

I am pretty sure there are people in this thread who are following along with the Cold Steel LP, i.e. not finished the game. So spoiler tagging would be a good idea.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's the the labor day long weekend and all i want is for it to be tuesday - truly a messed up state of affairs

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

it's the the labor day long weekend and all i want is for it to be tuesday - truly a messed up state of affairs

Tell me about it.

I have to work tomorrow too.

mutantmell
Oct 14, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

I still have to finish CS1, and I'm stuck in another state until late Monday.

The disc will be taunting me as I finish up :(

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Cake Attack posted:

My amazon-shipped copy of CS2 is sitting in a box at my local post office right now and I won't be getting it until Tuesday. I am somewhat annoyed.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

I know right

What's this world come to

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Death Priest posted:

My amazon-shipped copy of CS2 is sitting in a box at my local post office right now and I won't be getting it until Tuesday. I am somewhat annoyed.

Thanks for mentioning this. I checked my Amazon preorder and apparently my copy won't be arriving until Wednesday.

Now I'm really glad I requested Friday and Saturday off from work.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Death Priest posted:

Break into the post office, obviously.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Ok, so regarding my question earlier. I put my physical R1 copy of Cold Steel 2 into my vita that has R3 Cold Steel clear save files and the I was able to use the import, so for those regions, no issue with save file transfer, at least

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Some Numbers posted:

Thanks for mentioning this. I checked my Amazon preorder and apparently my copy won't be arriving until Wednesday.

Now I'm really glad I requested Friday and Saturday off from work.

Same. I just wrote Amazon a nastygram about it since I'm pretty sure they assured me of day one delivery.

I wish I could remember why I bought it from them in the first place; I'll probably just buy it digitally and return the physical one. If I'm lucky they'll refund the shipping to make me go away and stop me from canceling Prime.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Just finished (Chapter 5 in FC stuff) the tournament and took a few screenshots:

Not really spoilers but, eh:

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Just finished (Chapter 5 in FC stuff) the tournament and took a few screenshots:

Robyn has other good lines too:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I love the bit where Olivier signs his name at the tournament with a flower. "for flavour"

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

epenthesis posted:

Same. I just wrote Amazon a nastygram about it since I'm pretty sure they assured me of day one delivery.

I wish I could remember why I bought it from them in the first place; I'll probably just buy it digitally and return the physical one. If I'm lucky they'll refund the shipping to make me go away and stop me from canceling Prime.

it's because they offer a 20% discount on preorders/first weekish orders if you have Prime

probably, idk why you would if you don't have Prime tho

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Yeah, I ordered from amazon because with them you can basically get both the Vita and the PS3 version for $60 which is really good even if they end up arriving a day late.

Their release day shipping promise is a promise they will 100% break if the parcel gods aren't on your side though, since the cost of moving your package between their own shipping centers and thus starting your shipment on time can very easily be more than the cost of dealing with an unsatisfied customer depending on how many orders are heading to your area. Even if you requested a refund and they gave you a free month of prime it'd be less of a loss for them than actually trying to get you your package on time in the first place.

With video games especially they're really not making all that much money. Their hope is that when you're on their site making your 20% discounted pre-order with free 2 day shipping you'll also order a bunch of other things, but if you don't? Well, they're just going to do their best not to lose money on the shipping.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
More FC stuff, question actually: I'm assuming I'm pretty close to the end, and it's kind of weird to me that Joshua and Estelle (and the Grancel guild coordinator) haven't said a thing about what's going on to Zane, or the other 4 Bracers for that matter. Like, I'm entering the castle and Lieutenant Amalthea comes up, Estelle and Joshua whisper nervously to each other and Zane's oblivious to it all.

I guess he's not from Liberl, and there's the whole non-interference clause with the Bracer Guild, so is it just because Joshua and Estelle were specifically asked by the factory foreman guy to look into it that they can't involve others intentionally? Alternatively, am I completely forgetting Zane being told about what's going on?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

More FC stuff, question actually: I'm assuming I'm pretty close to the end, and it's kind of weird to me that Joshua and Estelle (and the Grancel guild coordinator) haven't said a thing about what's going on to Zane, or the other 4 Bracers for that matter. Like, I'm entering the castle and Lieutenant Amalthea comes up, Estelle and Joshua whisper nervously to each other and Zane's oblivious to it all.

I guess he's not from Liberl, and there's the whole non-interference clause with the Bracer Guild, so is it just because Joshua and Estelle were specifically asked by the factory foreman guy to look into it that they can't involve others intentionally? Alternatively, am I completely forgetting Zane being told about what's going on?

i mean from the player's perspective he's obviously on the up-and-up, but he's objectively he's a foreigner who no one involved knows especially well, loose lips sink ships

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

FC Final Chapter: Estelle and Josh aren't saying anything, because while Zane is a bracer, this is their job and they don't really know who to trust, especially a foreigner they don't know that well. Bear with it, things will get clearer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trials is pretty good in general about having people being reasonably nationalistic. It's a small worldbuilding touch but I really appreciate it. Like obviously the protagonists aren't pro-killing-those-foreigners or anything but they're believably "my nation's interests come first."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It varies a lot based on character, too. Estelle is from a tiny hick town so naturally foreigners are, well, foreign, to her, but Agate's been all around the world and just reacts to Zane like "Oh, hey."

IIRC there's a line really early on in coldsteel where Machias or Jusis or somebody is like "A highlander - no offense, Gaius -" and it felt really natural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Endorph posted:

IIRC there's a line really early on in coldsteel where Machias or Jusis or somebody is like "A highlander - no offense, Gaius -" and it felt really natural.
I don't remember exactly where that line happens, but I'll keep my eyes open.