Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Acne Rain posted:

I bet "last one out" is going to be a townie episode and "onion gang" is going to be a lore episode that changes everything forever

[spoiler]Onion turns out to be a Pearl Rose created for Vidalia and Yellowtail when they were having trouble conceiving.

Pearl Onion[/spoilers]

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Acne Rain posted:

I bet "last one out" is going to be a townie episode and "onion gang" is going to be a lore episode that changes everything forever

Probably, because I am pretty darn sure that onion's friends are going to end up being corrupted gems of some kind.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
This thread gets weird. Nice slice of life episode. Don't think Mr. Smiley and Mr. Frowny are gay. Weird that people jump to that conclusion if two male characters show any emotion towards each. Yeah, yeah same conclusion might be jumped to with a male and female character but it seems to happen more with two guy characters.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Junpei Hyde posted:

Goddammit I don't want to wait longer for more wrestling.

Gaunab posted:

This thread gets weird. Nice slice of life episode. Don't think Mr. Smiley and Mr. Frowny are gay. Weird that people jump to that conclusion if two male characters show any emotion towards each. Yeah, yeah same conclusion might be jumped to with a male and female character but it seems to happen more with two guy characters.

There's like three relationships on this show that could be called gay, one of which is currently platonic and another of which was basically an unrequited crush, but that's enough for everyone to be gay until proven otherwise in the community's eyes.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 2, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Gaunab posted:

This thread gets weird. Nice slice of life episode. Don't think Mr. Smiley and Mr. Frowny are gay. Weird that people jump to that conclusion if two male characters show any emotion towards each other.

You should read the comment sections I'm reading.

"They were 'partners' in an 'act of love' and Mr Smiley let him go cause he couldn't make him happy and Mr Frowny let it happen because Smiley wasn't taking it seriously. Clearly relationship talk. Plus they were standing right next to each other and Frowny full on touched him."

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 2, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

A friend of mine who I tried to get into watching Steven Universe admitted they just finished watching the whole thing :smuggo:

It feels great.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 3, 2016

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

MrSlam posted:

A friend of mine who I tried to get into watching Steven Universe admitted they just finished watching the whole thing :smuggo:

It feels great.

One friend kept complaining how he couldn't get into it because Steven was too silly and reminded him of me. Yesterday he told me how much he regrets the time he spent not watching SU. :allears:

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Nothing in SU is ever just one thing. Mr. Smiley and Mr. Frowny had a previous relationship. The emotional beats are the same whether it was a purely business relationship or code for a romantic relationship. If it's important to you that they're gay, then they can be gay. If it's important to you that they're not gay then they're just super good friends and also cousins.

Trying to say that anything in this show is only one thing and anyone who thinks it's something else is wrong is just... not paying attention, honestly.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They're Schrödinger's Gay.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Steven Universe is a show about the importance of having a good gal pal.

Edit: I should clarify I'm just havin' a larf.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 3, 2016

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Ruby and Sapphire are great representation of a close relationship between brother and sister.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Bongo Bill posted:

Schrödinger's Gay.

Mods

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Greg is both the straight man of the show and also only fucks rocks.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Shima Honnou posted:

Greg is both the straight man of the show and also only fucks rocks.

Greg reads National Geographic for the easter island statues

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

"Burn! Burn people!" :buddy:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://twitter.com/mergerecords/status/770946790891806720

presumably this is for Last One out of Beach City (given the description for that episode)

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Mr. Fowl posted:

I got an impression that yeah, she was going to get shattered. I thought, given Homeworld's views about how replaceable gems are, that she had internalized this mindset into believing in a sort of reincarnation. All sapphires are the same--therefore when I die, "I" will see you again when another Sapphire forms.

Oh yeah, didnt even think of that, that's a great interpretation. Like when ruby says 'there's plenty of me!', not realizing she's her own person.

I'm still not convinced that's what the episode was going for, but since there are multiple, non extrapolated explanations, i'd say it ultimately works. Death of the author and all that (though if someone goes to a con, id say getting a clarification on that episode would be a great use of a question)

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

MrSlam posted:

"Burn! Burn people!" :buddy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwKHhmc5PKY&t=113s

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
Does anyone know who voiced the original Zoltron in the episode? (the actual robot) Sounds an awful lot like a Tom Kenny or Mark Hamill voice.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

LemonLimeTime posted:

Does anyone know who voiced the original Zoltron in the episode? (the actual robot) Sounds an awful lot like a Tom Kenny or Mark Hamill voice.

I thought it was Tom Kenny too, but it was actually Matt Moy (the dude who does Lars).

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Like all episodes of this lovely loving cartoon this one sucked. Can't wait for the next.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Motherfucker posted:

Like all episodes of this lovely loving cartoon this one sucked. Can't wait for the next.

:yeah:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yay, cameo by Jamie! And IanJQ! And nameless recurring background faces. Eyelashes guy! Lesbians with ginger child! Beardface baseball cap guy!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

MikeJF posted:

Yay, cameo by Jamie! And IanJQ! And nameless recurring background faces. Eyelashes guy! Lesbians with ginger child! Beardface baseball cap guy!

Alternate universe Ian JQ lives in Beachcity.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

MikeJF posted:

Eyelashes guy!

Eyelashes guy is actually another one of the crewniverse BG extras from Alone Together (not sure who though, then-character designer currently-writer/boarder Colin Howard? the only non-Ian one I can easily identify is the bearded guy with the hat being Lead Character Designer Danny Hynes)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biSrtyu7OLM

YOU WERE MY SISTER HOLO-PEARL! I LOVED YOU!

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Spotted this on tumblr, had to bring it to the thread.

These loss edits are getting out of hand...

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

https://twitter.com/mergerecords/status/770946790891806720

presumably this is for Last One out of Beach City (given the description for that episode)

I don't know who this is. :shrug:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

taiyoko posted:

Spotted this on tumblr, had to bring it to the thread.

These loss edits are getting out of hand...

Why isnt this meme too old for me yet?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Junpei Hyde posted:

Why isnt this meme too old for me yet?

Loss transcends many things (including age)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't really watch this show at all but I saw the most recent episode because my fiancee was watching it and I had nothing going on so I watched it with her and it was ok and I thought that they were intending for smiley and frowny to be at least maybe code for gay or something because of the giant heart cloud in the sky when they confronted each other at the bus stop

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Who What Now posted:

I don't know who this is. :shrug:

According to the Village Voice, he hates jazz and wants no part of your SoCal Garage-Rock scene.

quote:

The L.A.-via-NYC-via-Wisconsin garage-punk outsider is, put bluntly, anti-everything, but certainly not lacking in the shits'n'giggles department. In Krol's wacky world, nothing is sacred. The harmless provocateur has self-released junk-fi slabs with titles like I hate Jazz and Trust Fund.

He looks like Roy Orbison by way of Scott Pilgrim. e: okay, I listened to some of his music and I understand why people might like it but I have NO IDEA why anyone thought it would be a good match for Steven Universe.

Continued :shrug:.

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 4, 2016

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't really watch this show at all but I saw the most recent episode because my fiancee was watching it and I had nothing going on so I watched it with her and it was ok and I thought that they were intending for smiley and frowny to be at least maybe code for gay or something because of the giant heart cloud in the sky when they confronted each other at the bus stop

It might be.

It feels more coded than usual, given that the show is known for saying what it means about these kinds of feelings. I think it works as old friends or not, there's more than one kind of love after all.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

The reason i dont think theyre a gay couple is the show tends to be at least a bit more obvious with its couples. They just acted like old friends who had fell out of touch

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
I did like the "I wanted it to work... our act." line.
It was like they knew

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

http://lilmizzkrazie.tumblr.com/post/149871407327/my-sister-katiedid92-and-i-got-to-spend-the-day

According to one of the story boarders Mr. Smiley is indeed gay. Make of this what you will.

Also, Lars is apparently good at both Art and Chemistry despite being bad at (or at least not trying to be good at) all other school subjects.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Mr. Smiley is Jerry and Mr. Frowney is George and all of us write for the NYU newspaper.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Philip Rivers posted:

This is super obvious in retrospect but I never noticed the proposal imagery in Bubble Buddies.

The point of the future vision is that you can't always avoid dealing with sadness and other negative emotions, but there are better and worse ways to deal with it. Smiley and Frowny were both sad about the past and were going to be sad no matter how things went, but by talking to each other about it they managed to work past that pain together.

Honestly the only reason Steven and Connie haven't become a couple yet is cause magic stuff keeps interrupting them when things are starting to go that way

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

The romance is lurking in the background but I think it'd lessen the show somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Who voiced Mr. Frowney?