Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

keyframe posted:

Oh my god the recon flare gun sets people on fire. :allears:

How does that work with spotting? do you just shoot it at the ground and it picks people up? or does it detect a whole bunch at once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I think you have to rank up your class to use those other weapons. It takes a while.

Ah word. I got a medic level up but it wasn't clear from the text whether it was a class level or a medic kit level

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
The more I'm playing of this the less I feel like buying it at launch, which is a first for me in the BF series. Maybe I just need to play another map but the gunplay just isn't clicking for me yet.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

jisforjosh posted:

The more I'm playing of this the less I feel like buying it at launch, which is a first for me in the BF series. Maybe I just need to play another map but the gunplay just isn't clicking for me yet.

Hopefully there will be a hardcore mode like in BF4, i think that would pretty much singlehandedly fix the gunplay. maybe a little more oomph for the medic rifles too

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
To be fair, I imagine they've got a lot of feedback from the open beta now (especially if they browse YouTube and dedicated Reddit pages) so imagine weapon balance and a few things get a major tweaking.

Hope they ignore the people whining about OP <blank>. Some guys just need some minor tweaks.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Frog Act posted:

Ah word. I got a medic level up but it wasn't clear from the text whether it was a class level or a medic kit level

By class I meant the medic kit rank, not your overall level. So once your medic kit rank is 3 you should be able to use everything. There are 10 total kit levels.

The kit ranks really should be shown ingame. :(

Frog Act posted:

Hopefully there will be a hardcore mode like in BF4, i think that would pretty much singlehandedly fix the gunplay. maybe a little more oomph for the medic rifles too

:confused:

The M1916 and Mondragon kill people in 3 hits regardless of distance. Even the default rifle can kill people in 4 hits at most.

If hardcore mode drops your hp to 66, they will 2 shot people which will be very scary.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

K8.0 posted:

How are you getting 20%?

On GMG's help page:

quote:

Newsletter Error - NA Customers & Battlefield 1 [02.09.2016]
Karl - Yesterday at 13:29
Fridays Newsletter (02.09.2016) has incorrectly stated that Battlefield 1 is on a 20% promotion this weekend. In actual fact the game is on a 12% promotion and this was simply a typo. Customers should take note that the price advertised in the newsletter for our Members pricing is correctly stated at $52.99.

We apologise for any confusion this has caused.

Those little bastards.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
are there any good places with period music for me to use in my awful frag videos? or am I stuck with the kevin macleod grand designs music/someone putting ads on my video for their 2 cents of revenue?

I'm trying to make a video of me mucking about in the attack plane and *click* there goes another bomber seems boring without something in the background

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

By class I meant the medic kit rank, not your overall level. So once your medic kit rank is 3 you should be able to use everything. There are 10 total kit levels.

The M1916 and Mondragon kill people in 3 hits regardless of distance. Even the default rifle can kill people in 4 hits at most.

If hardcore mode drops your hp to 66, they will 2 shot people which will be very scary.

Maybe there's something screwy with then netcode when I play or something, but the the medic rifles were routinely taking 5-6 hits to kill people for me. I was getting hit indicators, but regardless of range it didn't seem to be doing all that much damage per shot unless you hit them in the head. Now with the Rank 1 medic rifle I'm getting 3-4 shot kills all the time, which feels much better. The assault gun still feels kinda piddly to me in terms of how many times you actually have to hit people, but getting close and hipfiring seems to work well enough for the most part (unless you get too close and they just mash the melee button and brain you). Any time you are at mid range you are probably going to die, though.

I definitely don't think the medic is underpowered compared to the other classes. Support gets the shittiest end of that stick, with guns that get more accurate the longer you shoot :psyduck: but only starting out with 30 round magazines, having no immediate access to bipods, and having magazines that take up a shitload of screen space (assault has this problem with their second gun, too). It sounds like the later unlocks are pretty badass for support, at least.

Honestly if the kit xp bug didn't screw me over I probably wouldn't mind nearly as much, because the first few kit tiers seem to give you wildly better stuff, which probably goes a long way towards making the gunplay feel less anemic.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

I don't know what they were trying to do with the UI but it is horrendously bad.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

jisforjosh posted:

Shotguns feel similar, and the light tank main gun is a one shot Zuni rocket, so I'm pretty okay with things. For normal shooty times, support guns remind me on the old as val. It's not so different.

The alpha map was way more fun.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I haven't used the Mondragon yet, I was thinking about the automatic rifle, and maybe a little accuracy boost for the default, but i've only played around with them for aobut 4 hours so i don't quite know the game yet

slev posted:

I don't know what they were trying to do with the UI but it is horrendously bad.

how so? the menus are kinda lovely with unlabeled buttons but overall it seems okay to me

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Google hasn't helped, is there a way I can map yaw to mouse in this loving game?

Target Practice fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 4, 2016

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

SeanBeansShako posted:

How does that work with spotting? do you just shoot it at the ground and it picks people up? or does it detect a whole bunch at once?

No thats the spot gun. There is a flare version of it that is an unlock that burns white phosphorus and blinds anyone who approaches it.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

One thing I'd like to see is accuracy for sniper toned down when on the move.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The game is so different now than 1942, I had hoped a historical setting would turn back the clock a bit, but no. I feel like I'm trying to line up shots on ants in the distance. I remember dying easily/frequently like I used to, but the targets didn't used to always be so far apart.

I also tried the console version to see if a little bit of autoaim would help me, but it seems there is none there since I shot everywhere around a guys head four times before finally making contact with him.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Target Practice posted:

Google hasn't helped, is there a way I can map yaw to mouse in this loving game?

(esc if you're doing this in game, "more" tab if you're on the main menu) --> options --> key bindings --> in plane --> look for yaw left/right --> click under the mouse column --> rebind ;)

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

pnutz posted:

(esc if you're doing this in game, "more" tab if you're on the main menu) --> options --> key bindings --> in plane --> look for yaw left/right --> click under the mouse column --> rebind ;)

I tried that, and I moved my mouse left. And right when prompted for a keybind but it didn't take the input.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Can you really not map keys to extra mouse buttons or is it just me? What is this loving 1916?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Tab8715 posted:

What exactly was so different from the two?

Bad Company had writing worth a drat and it made for a much better game. Like your mans yelling "holy poo poo they've got a god drat tank".

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Dice needs to implement a new version of hotwire with only horses ASAP

fuckin :agreed:

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Can you really not map keys to extra mouse buttons or is it just me? What is this loving 1916?

All my extra buttons work fine. Are you using the middle column on the keybinding page? I've made the mistake of clicking on the left one before then got confused when it wouldn't accept the input.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Game is surprisingly fun, I was fully expecting to hate it as much as battlefront. But jesus christ what is going on with the menus, how do you make so many multiplayer games and still not be able to get groups and parties into an intuitive and functional state.

Really like the sniper-glare effect, it's a clever way to tone down sniping and make it something more manageable for those on the receiving end. My only gripe is it feels like there are too many tanks and planes, or that there aren't enough field artillery and AA guns to deal with them when your own are getting wrecked by pubbies.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

KM Scorchio posted:

All my extra buttons work fine. Are you using the middle column on the keybinding page? I've made the mistake of clicking on the left one before then got confused when it wouldn't accept the input.

Ohhhhh that explains it, I thought it was a weird oversight, cheers.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I want to like it, because it's BATTLEFIELD, but I think I'm going to sit this one out, which is a first for me and the Battlefield series.

Everything feels clunky and cumbersome, movement is kind of floaty, the gunplay is also not quite my cup of tea.

I can't quite explain it, but it's just not fun to play for me, even when I'm doing fairly well.

Driving a tank is boring, the gunner seats get all the good guns it seems, at least the tanks I can get into.

Played to rank 20 so far, unlocked tons of guns via the web loadout, used all classes to some extent ... it's just not clicking for me.

Will still fire it up in hopes that it finally does, but I am not enjoying it, really.

And while it is a beta, I should not need to close my browser when playing it to not have the framerate drop from 70-80 to 40.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Sep 4, 2016

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I know it's a beta and all but considering how great BF4 feels to play these days it's weird they'd take such a step back for this game.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I know it's a beta and all but considering how great BF4 feels to play these days it's weird they'd take such a step back for this game.

what do you mean by that, HOOLY BOOLY?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

BF4 had problems when it came out yeah and i think it also had a beta where hit detection and registration where poo poo? But nowadays 4 actually runs and handles pretty well IMO.

So maybe we're just gonna have a repeat

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
this game is teaching me a lot about history

I had no idea equines are immune to mustard gas

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

they also seem to be immune to tank rounds as well.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So, apparently my friend has figured out that the weather effects are client side and can be disabled. :dice:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Light tanks are getting a heavy nerd bat taken to them.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

So, apparently my friend has figured out that the weather effects are client side and can be disabled. :dice:

my friend works at dice and said this isn't true and battlefield 1 will have a ww2 expansion pack as the last piece of premium dlc

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

ijyt posted:

Classic Dice.

Looking forward for Levelcap video defending this.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

You can also not use a stick to fly planes. It's great.

It will also let you grab ledges you can't actually climb over, because that's totally not frustrating.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Sep 4, 2016

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

BF4 had problems when it came out yeah and i think it also had a beta where hit detection and registration where poo poo? But nowadays 4 actually runs and handles pretty well IMO.

So maybe we're just gonna have a repeat

For people who aren't aware, BF4 was a mess on release. Problems I remember:

-Bad hit detection

-Laggy hitboxes that would get you killed even if you were in 100% complete cover

-No sound/constant sound bugs.

-Funny stuff like hyper-speed tanks and butt-scooting soldiers.

-Rubber-banding and constant trade-kills caused by low-tick servers

-Constant crashes and micro-stutters

And a pile of other glitches, technical problems, and gameplay/balance issues on both PC and console. If you read a list of everything off to someone without mentioning it was Battlefield, they'd have thought you were talking about some Early Access dud. EA was investigated by two law firms over misrepresentation, insisted it wasn't rushed (they were going on about it being "too ambitious"), and lied by saying all of the problems were client-side and not server-side, which pissed people off even more. DICE kept their mouth shut and put everything on damage control, gifting battlepacks and stuff out to players while intentionally delaying DLC and other games to fix BF4. DICE LA was put to work trying to fix it, and they earned a lot of community respect for being straightforward about how lovely the game was and being open about what was wrong and what needed to be fixed. Eventually, the game was put together in a decent state, and it's actually popular even today. But after all of that, and the messes that were Battlefront and Hardline, I don't blame anyone for being extra cautious.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Plan Z posted:

For people who aren't aware, BF4 was a mess on release. Problems I remember:

-Bad hit detection

-Laggy hitboxes that would get you killed even if you were in 100% complete cover

-Funny stuff like hyper-speed tanks and butt-scooting soldiers.

-Rubber-banding and constant trade-kills caused by low-tick servers

-Constant crashes and micro-stutters

All of that was just with the PC/Next-Gen console verisons, BF4 also had to be supported for Last-Gen consoles as well and they had it even worse. A friend of mine could never finish a game if it was on Operation:Dawnbreaker, it would freeze halfway every single time.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
This plays so much better than what I recall of the BF4 beta and I haven't had a single crash. BF4 beta and release versions both ran like poo poo and crashed every 5 mins for me so personally i'm chalking this up as an improvement. It's far from perfect, but it's keeping me pretty entertained so far.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Plan Z posted:

Firing the Chinese DMR when it was equipped with the silencer and having it mute the whole server is still one of the most :psyduck: bugs I have ever encountered.

Frog Act posted:

I haven't used the Mondragon yet, I was thinking about the automatic rifle, and maybe a little accuracy boost for the default, but i've only played around with them for aobut 4 hours so i don't quite know the game yet

Yea, the class becomes amazing when you unlock the M1916. It is tied for the highest capacity AND is also tied for the most damage while being slightly less accurate than the Mondragon(but not really enough to notice). It is easily the best Medic rifle.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Sep 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
i am interested in knowing all the corresponding turkish voice lines and how to pronounce them

it has nothing to do with halloween being next month