Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Ah, the spocker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Harveygod posted:

by having her want Odo to flesh her out a bit. :heysexy:

Funny, but inaccurate. She wanted to jump his non-bones.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Best thing about Lwaxana's Ds9 episode where she makes everyone go after their crushes is Jadzia throwing herself at Sisko not because she has a crush on him but because she saw what was going on and figured "Hey, this'll be a great prank!"

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It wasn't a prank though? She really was throwing herself at him and continued to do it after.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Lwaxana episodes suck, but only because they're Troi episodes and usually include ten scenes where Lwaxana says something and Deanna rolls her eyes into the back of her head.

The problem is not Lwaxana, she's great. I mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45VAelC_QsI

I don't care if she's only on the show because she knew how to pluck Gene's roddenberries, the character is great. That's why she works in the DS9 episode. It doesn't have to rely on Troi reacting to her mother's antics.

The only good part of the TNG Lwaxana episodes was watching Picard lose his stoic disposition and do everything he could to get the hell out of Dodge.

He'd self-destruct the Enterprise if he could be absolutely certain she wouldn't wind up in his escape pod somehow.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ballers is pretty good

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Star Trek: Equinox alright hell yeah son

Cool captain: "the episode is over and the plot now calls for me to kill myself to reset the stakes for next week's episode"
Viewers: "no wait, you could actually make the show interesti-"
Cool captain: <wicked sick fly-off move> <explosion powered by missed opportunities>

:sigh:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
star trek 6 is the best TOS movie and i didn't know about odo's actor being cut from the movie because roddenberry was a pissbaby about the humans being anything other than perfect

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Roddenberry seems like he was very close-minded and stubborn which is just lol

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Guy Goodbody posted:

Ballers is pretty good

Isn't that the show about an ex-Tsunkatse fighter who now works as an agent signing new fighters?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I just got to TOS season 2 in my rewatch and everything about Chekov is loving Terrible.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I just got to TOS season 2 in my rewatch and everything about Chekov is loving Terrible.

Fuckin psi corps snitch

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does anyone else think it was a missed opportunity in Trials and Tribble-ations that Worf wasn't in TOS makeup and nobody commented on it? I mean, yes, it's hilarious when he gives the non answer to why Klingons look different, but it would have been a good joke too.

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Learn about this great man on mormon.org
Ya so worf said something happened between tos and TNG but when they brought kalis back his head still had the crinkled poo poo on it. Worfs story isnt adding up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Also, TOS has better fist fights than any other series. At least Scotty gets in some proper bar brawls, unlike the horrendous, stilted double balled fist punching from TNG onwards.

I'm including the Gorn fight in TOS as being better.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Arcsquad12 posted:

Also, TOS has better fist fights than any other series. At least Scotty gets in some proper bar brawls, unlike the horrendous, stilted double balled fist punching from TNG onwards.

I'm including the Gorn fight in TOS as being better.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

So potent, it caused the 2nd scientist to collapse 10 foot away.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Two in the pink, two in the stink, one up your own stink.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

AugmentedVision posted:

Roddenberry seems like he was very close-minded and stubborn which is just lol

Getting old sucks. :(

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

I'm willing to believe Roddenberry had a stipulation that all fight scenes must include his awkward clasped-hand martial arts, right next to "There is no money ever" and "The Federation is flawless."

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Triggered posted:

Ya so worf said something happened between tos and TNG but when they brought kalis back his head still had the crinkled poo poo on it. Worfs story isnt adding up.

It was explained in ENT.

Wrinkle-headed is the default, but then Phlox and some Klingons were trying to cure some disease with genetic engineering but the side effect was all Klingons from then on would be smooth foreheads, but then I guess at some point during TOS they cured it, hence why we see Bumpy Heads and Smoothies thought the course of TOS (though to be fair, Bumpies were only in the movies, but since most of the Klingons in the movies were older, they had to have existed as Bumpies during the main run of TOS but just never seen.)

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I think there was a dumb throwaway line about plastic surgery to give the ridges back at the end. Which, I guess, explains why the TOS Klingons have ridges in DS9.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
IIRC, Enterprise also tossed in a line about the smooth-heads being forced into a lower caste.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

it's funny because when bashir asks worf what the deal is, he guesses exactly what it was as he asked the question. "genetic engineering? a viral mutation?" exactly.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

It's pretty hosed up that Zefram Cochrane ends up banging a space cloud in a dead woman's body for all eternity.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I think there was a dumb throwaway line about plastic surgery to give the ridges back at the end. Which, I guess, explains why the TOS Klingons have ridges in DS9.

That's what it says on the Wiki

"Artificial eye so I can fight properly? NO!"
"Cosmetic surgery? Hell yeah!"

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

AugmentedVision posted:

That's what it says on the Wiki

"Artificial eye so I can fight properly? NO!"
"Cosmetic surgery? Hell yeah!"

Username/post combo :drat:

e: also, there's a reason Worf says "We do not discuss it with outsiders." Brings up too many questions.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Before Enterprise, my personal fan-theory was that during the TOS eras the Klingons were starting to engage in a lot more subterfuge and dealing with alien races in competition with the Federation.

Klingons serving in positions that would take them outside the core of the Empire would intentionally have had surgery done to both look less Klingon and more 'human' as a a means to an end: It would let them appear less threatening and alien to a number of the more basic human-looking aliens they'd encounter, it'd allow them to quickly just slap some new foreheads on when they wanted to infiltrate another species, they could disguise themselves as humans for sabotage or damaging relationships, etc.

Worf's desire to not talk about it with outsiders is maybe due to post-TOS, the Empire felt it was not an honorable plot, perhaps even coupled with dead or returning altered Klingons being seen as disgraceful for a time unless they could get surgery to correct their appearances.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

DrBouvenstein posted:

It was explained in ENT.

Wrinkle-headed is the default, but then Phlox and some Klingons were trying to cure some disease with genetic engineering but the side effect was all Klingons from then on would be smooth foreheads, but then I guess at some point during TOS they cured it, hence why we see Bumpy Heads and Smoothies thought the course of TOS (though to be fair, Bumpies were only in the movies, but since most of the Klingons in the movies were older, they had to have existed as Bumpies during the main run of TOS but just never seen.)

nah it was that any klingons currently infected with the virus they accidentally created could be cured but they would lose their ridges. So there were millions of Klingons with smooth heads and it took a few generations for them to dilute enough that the ridges became dominant again

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

How did Kor get the ridges back then?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

caleramaen posted:

How did Kor get the ridges back then?

plastic surgery. Read the thread, man.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Bet you there is a guy in Section 31 assigned to find out the Klingon ridge thing, and after a century of torturing people still hasn't an answer for it.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

happyhippy posted:

Bet you there is a guy in Section 31 assigned to find out the Klingon ridge thing, and after a century of torturing people still hasn't an answer for it.

Section 31 is made up of dumb people, like Reed.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

JediTalentAgent posted:

Before Enterprise, my personal fan-theory was that during the TOS eras the Klingons were starting to engage in a lot more subterfuge and dealing with alien races in competition with the Federation.

Klingons serving in positions that would take them outside the core of the Empire would intentionally have had surgery done to both look less Klingon and more 'human' as a a means to an end: It would let them appear less threatening and alien to a number of the more basic human-looking aliens they'd encounter, it'd allow them to quickly just slap some new foreheads on when they wanted to infiltrate another species, they could disguise themselves as humans for sabotage or damaging relationships, etc.

I think this is the explanation given in an old non-canon reference book of aliens, which I think was from the early 80s?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It's a much better explanation than what we got, that's for sure. I'm convinced that story arc exists solely so they could show Archer getting ridges in the teaser.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I read that the DS9 episode where Sisko was a SF writer in the 60s was based on Samuel Delaney but I don't remember him being gay as hell.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

JediTalentAgent posted:

Worf's desire to not talk about it with outsiders is maybe due to post-TOS, the Empire felt it was not an honorable plot, perhaps even coupled with dead or returning altered Klingons being seen as disgraceful for a time unless they could get surgery to correct their appearances.

Oh. I just solve the problem by saying TOS isn't canon. :smug:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

muscles like this? posted:

I read that the DS9 episode where Sisko was a SF writer in the 60s was based on Samuel Delaney but I don't remember him being gay as hell.

Met posted:

Oh. I just solve the problem by saying TOS isn't canon. :smug:

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Section 31 is made up of dumb people, like Reed.

Section 31 is the Sovereign Citizens of the 24th century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Automatic Slim posted:

Section 31 is the Sovereign Citizens of the 24th century.

No. That's the maquis.