Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

vyelkin posted:

lmao the Guardian has an article exploring how Trump is causing wider divisions in voting intention among married people than ever before, and includes gems like this:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/04/donald-trump-support-marriage-ipsos-poll

There's going to be soooooo many divorces next year.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I wonder how many married women feel compelled to say they support Trump when they do a phone poll since people might be listening but privately in the voting booth they're gonna vote Clinton.

Not enough to matter, but I hope this becomes some point that continuously gets brought up on CNN panels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Sir Tonk posted:

Personally, I'm glad she isn't up ten points on him nationally. As much as I want her to completely destroy him and the racist wave he's riding on election day, I also don't want casual Democrats to get comfortable with the idea of Trump losing and not bother voting.

How many times do we have to say that this won't happen?

People like to vote for winners. If anything, her being up by 10 depresses Trump's turnout as people don't want to expend effort for someone who they know is gonna lose.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

WampaLord posted:

Iowa is 6 electoral votes, why do you keep repeating this as if it matters?
because people are talking about landslides for some reason and Obama won it handily twice and also its trump

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Sure, that is accurate for people that like voting. For people that don't care about voting and only get involved when they think it matters a close race works for them. She can run away with the numbers after the debates, I'd rather it stay close until then to *maybe* slow down the TRUMP COMEBACK OMG narrative that the press is ready to use at the end of the month.

And that's ignoring fundraising, although funding doesn't seem to be an issue this year. People donate to candidates that they think need it, not people that're walking away with the election.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Anyway speaking of dead white people, Maricopa County is left with one insurer on its insurance exchange because the second pulled out because they couldn't raise their rates 120%. 14 of 15 AZ counties will have one insurer and one county will have 0. Obamacare is great.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

computer parts posted:

Which doesn't change the fact that Bernie primarily targeted white progressives. The only evidence of that changing is post-Super Tuesday, and even then it was too little too late.

Yeah getting Killer Mike on your side isn't going to magically get black people to vote for you. There's about as minorities on stage as their are in the crowd at most Run The Jewels concerts.

MattyRamone
May 4, 2009

Over 46 Million Followers
http://www.richmond.com/opinion/our-opinion/article_b79cc2b6-8ed5-532c-92eb-4a37e779c433.html

The Richmond Times Dispatch, who has endorsed a Republican in every Presidential election for the the past 30+ years, takes the "strong and principled" stance and endorsed Gary Johnson.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
so they endorsed the only Republican candidate this cycle, good for them

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Xae posted:

They were saying it about computers programming themselves.

Also see Self-Driving cars in the 80s.

These things are coming, but we're talking long term, not immediate term.

Things aren't automatically untrue now just because they were untrue in the past. I wasn't old enough in the 1980s to remember if people were breathlessly excited for self-driving cars at the time, but it doesn't really matter since the level of technological development and investment in the field is literally orders of magnitude higher today than it was then. NHTSA level 3 autonomous vehicles are going to be available for purchase within a few years and there's basically no question at this point that level 4 vehicles will be on the road within a decade or two.

It's actually happening this time, regardless of what people might have said in the past. The same goes for a lot of forms of automation that were just speculation a few decades ago.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Luigi Thirty posted:

Anyway speaking of dead white people, Maricopa County is left with one insurer on its insurance exchange because the second pulled out because they couldn't raise their rates 120%. 14 of 15 AZ counties will have one insurer and one county will have 0. Obamacare is great.

To be clear there's only one on the exchange, you can still get whatever through work.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

AMorePerfctGoonion posted:

White rage on the surface and white fear behind it; they have a far too overactive amygdala. The authoritarian personality thread went more into this.

I feel like it's worth pointing out that by this metric Clinton was the "white rage" candidate in 2008 since she was getting absolutely smoked in the black vote and among black southerners and relied on the same dynamic to stay in the race: courting states with higher percentages of white people and midwestern/white rural primaries. I'm also not sure I buy this "Bernie didn't court the black vote" thing, he campaigned hard in states like South Carolina and only stopped when polling showed he wasn't making any headway a few days before the primary, his reliance on whiter states, like Clinton in '08, was a survival strategy from a losing campaign that wasn't going to win going head to head for black voters.

This was even the same dynamic of 2008, only Clinton was harnessing white resentment against Obama, often far more stridently than Sanders ever did. There was even the same reveal that a small minority were misguided racist weirdos, HillaryIs44, PUMA's, all that stuff. A number of Clinton's attacks on Obama were perceived as racially insensitive, such as her insistence on an "experience" argument when she had been serving in elected office for less time than Obama, or her argument to Fox News that it was Johnson that was ultimately responsible for the Civil Rights act and making MLK's dream a reality, Clinton's "fairy-tale" thing, the nastier statements of surrogates (Ferraro etc), and Clinton's strategy of condescension in general. Her campaign wound up using some dog whistle politics, and there were some controversial memos leaked that had unsavory strategy stuff in them about trying to harness white mistrust of Obama. I think if you're being honest, she ran a far more dog-whistley, white-racism harnessing campaign than Sanders, so it's a bit much to have people cluck in 2016 about how Clinton's authenticity with black people was just too much for the race-baiting Sanders. Clinton used white resentment already when she was losing in '08, the reason she didn't in 2016 is at least in part because she didn't have to, but pretending that's solely a principled stance runs pretty contrary to history.

(edited to come down slightly less hard on Clinton, I'm not trying to make this an attack on Clinton, just a reality check)

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 4, 2016

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

cargo cult posted:

because people are talking about landslides for some reason and Obama won it handily twice and also its trump

Did they provide any information about why he's up?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Paradoxish posted:

Things aren't automatically untrue now just because they were untrue in the past. I wasn't old enough in the 1980s to remember if people were breathlessly excited for self-driving cars at the time, but it doesn't really matter since the level of technological development and investment in the field is literally orders of magnitude higher today than it was then. NHTSA level 3 autonomous vehicles are going to be available for purchase within a few years and there's basically no question at this point that level 4 vehicles will be on the road within a decade or two.

Google's own engineers have said that those are 30 years away, it's not nearly as guaranteed as you want to make it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

computer parts posted:

Google's own engineers have said that those are 30 years away, it's not nearly as guaranteed as you want to make it.

Google is basically the only one saying this any more. Actual car manufacturers seem pretty confident that we're a decade or two away, at most. And they're the ones investing more heavily at this point.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Luigi Thirty posted:

I agree. Once all middle-aged white people die off the country will fix itself.
t:mad: Hey, I'm one of the good ones!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Paradoxish posted:

Google is basically the only one saying this any more. Actual car manufacturers seem pretty confident that we're a decade or two away, at most. And they're the ones investing more heavily at this point.

The Volvo guy just got mad at US roads because the cars relied on legible road markings. That's a pretty big flaw.

e: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-autonomous-infrastructure-insig-idUSKCN0WX131

quote:

Volvo's North American CEO, Lex Kerssemakers, lost his cool as the automaker's semi-autonomous prototype sporadically refused to drive itself during a press event at the Los Angeles Auto Show.

"It can't find the lane markings!" Kerssemakers griped to Mayor Eric Garcetti, who was at the wheel. "You need to paint the bloody roads here!"

Shoddy infrastructure has become a roadblock to the development of self-driving cars, vexing engineers and adding time and cost. Poor markings and uneven signage on the 3 million miles of paved roads in the United States are forcing automakers to develop more sophisticated sensors and maps to compensate, industry executives say.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk recently called the mundane issue of faded lane markings "crazy," complaining they confused his semi-autonomous cars.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

computer parts posted:

The Volvo guy just got mad at US roads because the cars relied on legible road markings. That's a pretty big flaw.

e: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-autonomous-infrastructure-insig-idUSKCN0WX131

You get that I didn't say that fully autonomous cars were coming out tomorrow, right?

poo poo infrastructure is a problem that will absolutely have to be dealt with, but I have no idea why you think it means that the technology will just vanish or stop being developed. The point is that practically every automaker has dug in their heels on this being the major selling point for their cars in the coming years. That's a much different situation from a few university and government pilot projects in the 80s.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

They've been saying we're a decade away for 30 years.

Self-Driving cars aren't going to end up being the next Fusion (always 25 years away), but even if a self-driving car came out tomorrow it would take 10-20 years for the fleet on the road to take over.

Like every other car feature it will start with high end luxury cars and gradually work its way down main stream models.

If I had to ballpark it I would say 5-10 years for a "real" self driving car, 5-15 to make them main stream and another 10-25 to completely replace the fleet.

So yeah, some time in the next 20-50 years it'll happen.

20-50 years is a long time. People shouldn't be banking on this happening in the near future.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Paradoxish posted:

You get that I didn't say that fully autonomous cars were coming out tomorrow, right?

poo poo infrastructure is a problem that will absolutely have to be dealt with, but I have no idea why you think it means that the technology will just vanish or stop being developed. The point is that practically every automaker has dug in their heels on this being the major selling point for their cars in the coming years.

The point is that true autonomy is Very Very Hard so what will most likely happen is that some feature will be perfected in a very niche scenario (like the parallel parking assist that already exists) and companies will bill that as "autonomous driving".

Especially since right now autonomous driving basically relies on "oh hey you drove this once before, remember there's a pothole at 9th and Avery". It's not really proactive.

Xae posted:

Like every other car feature it will start with high end luxury cars and gradually work its way down main stream models.

Not even, honestly. There are several drive-assist features that have been in luxury cars for forever and still haven't made their way down to base models. You are right though that even if the government mandated it tomorrow it'd take 10-20 years to actually replace non-autonomous cars.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

computer parts posted:

Not even, honestly. There are several drive-assist features that have been in luxury cars for forever and still haven't made their way down to base models. You are right though that even if the government mandated it tomorrow it'd take 10-20 years to actually replace non-autonomous cars.

Yeah, Tesla learned the hard way that how a select group of people using something is very different from the general public.

Trained people who oversee the automated car technology and know its limitations is a different universe than dealing with Joe "Hold my Beer" Sixpack.

Xae fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 4, 2016

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Luigi Thirty posted:

The republican voting block there is on Medicare so why should they give a poo poo?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shifty Pony posted:

The republican voting block there is on Medicare so why should they give a poo poo?

Because IT'S A DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENT'S THING THAT'S FAILING, that's why.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Hillary issues an executive order for Medicare to accept patients who can never comply with the ACA mandate due to the pullouts. The newly liberal Supreme Court upholds this decision :getin:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

BiohazrD posted:

Hillary issues an executive order for Medicare to accept patients who can never comply with the ACA mandate due to the pullouts. The newly liberal Supreme Court upholds this decision :getin:

In a 4-4 decision,

wait

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Periodiko posted:

I feel like it's worth pointing out that by this metric Clinton was the "white rage" candidate in 2008 since she was getting absolutely smoked in the black vote and among black southerners and relied on the same dynamic to stay in the race: courting states with higher percentages of white people and midwestern/white rural primaries. I'm also not sure I buy this "Bernie didn't court the black vote" thing, he campaigned hard in states like South Carolina and only stopped when polling showed he wasn't making any headway a few days before the primary, his reliance on whiter states, like Clinton in '08, was a survival strategy from a losing campaign that wasn't going to win going head to head for black voters.

This was even the same dynamic of 2008, only Clinton was harnessing white resentment against Obama, often far more stridently than Sanders ever did. There was even the same reveal that a small minority were misguided racist weirdos, HillaryIs44, PUMA's, all that stuff. A number of Clinton's attacks on Obama were perceived as racially insensitive, such as her insistence on an "experience" argument when she had been serving in elected office for less time than Obama, or her argument to Fox News that it was Johnson that was ultimately responsible for the Civil Rights act and making MLK's dream a reality, Clinton's "fairy-tale" thing, the nastier statements of surrogates (Ferraro etc), and Clinton's strategy of condescension in general.

It's funny to look at how Hillary was THE CANDIDATE OF APPALACHIA! in the 2008 primaries and whomped Obama by ridiculous margins in places like West Virginia but in 2016 those same people were against her. Granted she did have some key gaffes like the "putting coal miners out of business" one, but I can't help thinking how not having a black dude running against her seems to be a significant element in this.

I have tried like a maniac to find the image from the 2008 WV primary with the toothless old WV ladies at a Hillary rally, one holding up a "NO HUSSIEN" sign but alas I can't find it anywhere.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Luigi Thirty posted:

In a 4-4 decision,

wait

If they don't keep the senate, hell even if they do it would be hard as poo poo to justify holding on to a justice for 2 years.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Luigi Thirty posted:

I agree. Once all middle-aged white people die off the country will fix itself.
No, but there will be fewer people banging on it with a sledgehammer.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I didn't have too much of an issue with Hillary in 08, Bill was on some fuckshit though.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Zwabu posted:

It's funny to look at how Hillary was THE CANDIDATE OF APPALACHIA! in the 2008 primaries and whomped Obama by ridiculous margins in places like West Virginia but in 2016 those same people were against her. Granted she did have some key gaffes like the "putting coal miners out of business" one, but I can't help thinking how not having a black dude running against her seems to be a significant element in this.

I have tried like a maniac to find the image from the 2008 WV primary with the toothless old WV ladies at a Hillary rally, one holding up a "NO HUSSIEN" sign but alas I can't find it anywhere.

Were you thinking of this: http://www.cc.com/video-clips/cnuv8c/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-indecision-2008---west-virginia ?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dexo posted:

If they don't keep the senate, hell even if they do it would be hard as poo poo to justify holding on to a justice for 2 years.

Like that's ever stopped them before.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Dexo posted:

Why justify anything?

Quite a lot of the government works on precedent, not law. Legally as I understand it a hostile senate can stall forever.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ice Phisherman posted:

Why justify anything?

Quite a lot of the government works on precedent, not law. Legally as I understand it a hostile senate can stall forever.

Pretty much. All the checks and balances built into the US government are negatory- one branch can stop the other from doing something but there's no way to force it to move within its exclusive area of responsibility. This is on some level deliberate as the founders definitely preferred a paralyzed government to a runaway abusive one, but they don't seem to have realized that decorum and respect could ever break down so completely and that voters would choose not to punish it.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Periodiko posted:

such as her insistence on an "experience" argument when she had been serving in elected office for less time than Obama,

This is kind of dumb. Obama had only been a US Senator for two years, she had been a US Senator since 2000.

If you want to count his time has a pee-wee league state senator in Illinois, fine. But given her outsized role in healthcare and education policy in her husband's administration, you should count that too. Also that she'd been involved in elective politics since the loving 70's.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Why justify anything?

With control of the senate, we can nuke the filibuster. There's no constitutional requirement for it. And if they continue to stall on it, we will.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

That sums up the situation well but there was a specific photo from that time that crystallized the whole thing even more succinctly. It's amazing to me how stuff like that can just disappear from Google Image Search.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Zwabu posted:

Bernie won WV because he was a White Dude. Hillary won WV by being a White Woman.

In the same election that Socialist Bernie Sanders won the Dem Primary, a billionaire coal baron won the Dem governor primary against a liberal who endorsed Bernie, and a dumbshit corporatist Republican won the state Supreme Court race handily.

But let me tell you about how it had everything to do with Hillary's coal plans.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

What's this fantasy world you live in where the media is going to do that? If anything, him attacking them just makes them more desperate to please him. Here's some NYT reporting on why Hillary is bad while they continue not giving a poo poo that Trump's foundation more or less bribed multiple AGs into not investigating his scam university:

https://twitter.com/glastris/status/772416076844064768

It's mind-boggling how anyone who follows this election can maintain the illusion that the media can/will do whatever they need to do to bring him down. WaPo is the only one doing its job this year.

Even if the CF were a pay-for-play scheme the money was going to charity. Funneling money to charity is the absolute least evil pay-for-play scheme possible. That the donors didn't get the access they sought is even richer. If Clinton took advantage of anyone, it was the donors.

edit: if it wasn't clear, I'm agreeing that the NY Times is doing a lovely job reporting this.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

In other news:

Republicans totally care about the military. They want only the best equipment for the best soldiers in the best country.
https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/772132400092553216

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Bernie won WV because he was a White Dude. Hillary won WV by being a White Woman.

In the same election that Socialist Bernie Sanders won the Dem Primary, a billionaire coal baron won the Dem governor primary against a liberal who endorsed Bernie, and a dumbshit corporatist Republican won the state Supreme Court race handily.

But let me tell you about how it had everything to do with Hillary's coal plans.

also weren't something like 39% of sanders' voters saying that they'd vote for trump over him in the general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

computer parts posted:

The point is that true autonomy is Very Very Hard so what will most likely happen is that some feature will be perfected in a very niche scenario (like the parallel parking assist that already exists) and companies will bill that as "autonomous driving".

Maybe, but the companies that are making these claims aren't really using weasel words to do so:

Ford plans self-driving car for ride share fleets in 2021

quote:

Ford Motor Co plans to offer a fully automated driverless vehicle for commercial ride-sharing in 2021, the automaker announced Tuesday, expanding its efforts in driverless cars and ride sharing - two areas where rivals have already made inroads.

Ford Chief Technical Officer Raj Nair said the company likely will not offer a similar driverless car without steering wheel or pedals to consumers until 2025 or later. Launching a self-driving car first for ride-sharing is a better way to reach the mass market and make the cars more affordable, he said.

Most automakers seem to think that fully autonomous vehicles are going to be on the roads within 4-5 years and readily available before 2030. That's pretty near term.

• Locked thread