Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Whereas DS2 is Evangelion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

CottonWolf posted:

Whereas DS2 is Evangelion.

And this is not a pithy aside. It's like 90% unaltered Evangelion.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I remember I tried Nocturne once, after having enjoyed Persona 3 and Persona 4. I beat that Matador guy everyone talks about and then figured I had gotten everything I was ever going to get out of that game at that point and just put it down forever. Never could get into mainline SMT after that, though I'll probably check out Persona 5.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Woffle posted:

I'm sure we'll do a Megaten game at some point. My favorites that I've played (Persona 3 and 4) are twice as long as I want them to be for the WOFF! treatment.

You could serialize "mini" episodes for them (as a patreon goal of course :v:). Have a monthly extra episode where you and Kole do one to two sets of dungeons (or sets of floors in P3), and treat it as if it's a normal WOFF just with a much shorter length and amount of time to dedicate. That way you could still do the game, without having to have the crunch and inevitable burnout that a normal JRPG episode brings.

That said, with the amount of content you dudes put out I imagine that there's not much time left to play an extra few hours of a video game a month.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

umalt posted:

You could serialize "mini" episodes for them (as a patreon goal of course :v:). Have a monthly extra episode where you and Kole do one to two sets of dungeons (or sets of floors in P3), and treat it as if it's a normal WOFF just with a much shorter length and amount of time to dedicate. That way you could still do the game, without having to have the crunch and inevitable burnout that a normal JRPG episode brings.

That said, with the amount of content you dudes put out I imagine that there's not much time left to play an extra few hours of a video game a month.

Not a terrible idea, actually.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Raxivace posted:

I remember I tried Nocturne once, after having enjoyed Persona 3 and Persona 4. I beat that Matador guy everyone talks about and then figured I had gotten everything I was ever going to get out of that game at that point and just put it down forever. Never could get into mainline SMT after that, though I'll probably check out Persona 5.

Nocturne is my perfect beautiful child and you are offending my family.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Nocturne is an amazing game that i'm not sure i could recommend to anybody in good conscience. It appeals to very niche RPG interests. You have to really earnestly *like* dungeon crawling and monster collecting/fusing/fighting in and of themselves to like that game. It has some of the best dungeons and bosses and systems in the business, but holy hell are there are LOT of them. The atmosphere is topnotch, and the plot is incredibly compelling in both its specifics and presentation, but it's also drip-fed over like 60+ hours of trap floors and warp mazes and pitch-dark corridors. I love that game but it was so exhausting an experience that i don't think i could ever play it again.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Stan Taylor posted:

I'm only like halfway(?) through dark souls 1 so I'm way behind on Bonfireside Chat but have they done a spoof on "talkin' baseball" like the one from that Simpsons episode. Because that should exist.

This is from many pages ago, but I'm catching up on the thread and because I love you all:

Well, Kingmseeker Frampt had done it,
Chosen Undead had won it,
With the Giant Blacksmith forging all the while,
Gwyndolin’s tragic illusion made us smile,
While Patches kicked us off into that big bone pile.

We're talkin' Dark Souls,
From The Abyss to Anor Londo,
Talkin' Dark Souls,
Siegmeyer and Hawkeye Gough.
Eingyi’s grotesquely swollen jaw,
Lautrec and his run-in with the law,
We're talkin' Solaire,
Ornstein and the Smough.

Talkin' Dark Souls,
We're talkin' Solaire,
Ornstein and the Smough.

I only did it as a spoof of the spoof because the original Talkin' Baseball is like fifteen thousand verses or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkpyZws4bJ8

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I understand a challenge was implicitly made re: willingness to see further drawings of dragons on Monster in my Podcast.

Challenge Accepted

sub supau fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 1, 2016

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

I understand a challenge was implicitly made re: willingness to see further drawings of dragons on Monster in my Podcast.

Challenge Accepted

High quality dragos.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

This is from many pages ago, but I'm catching up on the thread and because I love you all:

Well, Kingmseeker Frampt had done it,
Chosen Undead had won it,
With the Giant Blacksmith forging all the while,
Gwyndolin’s tragic illusion made us smile,
While Patches kicked us off into that big bone pile.

Talkin' Dark Souls,
We're talkin' Solaire,
Ornstein and the Smough.

Talkin' Dark Souls,
We're talkin' Solaire,
Ornstein and the Smough.

I only did it as a spoof of the spoof because the original Talkin' Baseball is like fifteen thousand verses or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkpyZws4bJ8

this is good but it still fucks with me that smough is supposed to rhyme with straw

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Brother Entropy posted:

this is good but it still fucks with me that smough is supposed to rhyme with straw

I think I've heard about a dozen pronunciations, so surely at least one of them does, right?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

END ME SCOOB posted:

In the "Amazed this hadn't happened sooner" category, Megaten Marathon is a new show wherein the hosts and rotating guests (per set of episodes) are going through the Megami Tensei series item by item, spinoffs, other media, and various strange ephemera included. It's interesting so far, and they're keeping a pretty good WOFF-like clip through these titles so far in terms of summing up the titles vs. being incredibly long-winded.

Chiming in to say I'm really enjoying this as a way to learn about a series I'm very interested in but just don't have the second lifetime I would need to experience it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

END ME SCOOB posted:

In the "Amazed this hadn't happened sooner" category, Megaten Marathon is a new show wherein the hosts and rotating guests (per set of episodes) are going through the Megami Tensei series item by item, spinoffs, other media, and various strange ephemera included. It's interesting so far, and they're keeping a pretty good WOFF-like clip through these titles so far in terms of summing up the titles vs. being incredibly long-winded.

Add me to the list of people really enjoying this thus far, but I'll be pretty shocked if they make it all the way through the series. That's no small task.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Brother Entropy posted:

The tough smough coughs as he ploughs the rough dough

Also: Thank you to Gary and Kole, for giving me an excuse to replay Mario Galaxy

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The tough smough coughs as he ploughs the rough dough

Also the Megaten thing is kooky. The idea reminds me of somebody doing a similar LP on SA with the Final Fantasy games; you essentially start something on its worst foot and then the games gradually get better and become more playable.

Even stuff like Persona 1 is loving rough.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
It's interesting because they did MT1/2 via the 16-bit remake and then they're going into SMT1.

Which was made way before that compilation. And is dated as fuuuuuuuuck.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I have never played the original MT games so it has been pretty cool to see that all the elements of the series were there in some form in the very first game.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The intro for SMT is so rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1PeeGxLYvE

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
The TF2 Episode is probably the worst episode of WofF yet. They shouldn't do Multiplayer games.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Is it fascism yet posted:

The TF2 Episode is probably the worst episode of WofF yet. They shouldn't do Multiplayer games.

What did you dislike about it? I thought it was pretty solid

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I listened to it last night and thought it was fine. I don't play or have any interest in multiplayer or competitive shooters so I have no expectations or opinions on that aspect of the game. If you have a thousand hours invested I'm sure it's agony to hear but they are always pretty upfront about that and never present the podcast as anything other than their experience.

I'm hella looking forward to Mario Galaxy 2, I might even play along since I have it on my Wii U.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Yeah, I listened to it last night and thought it was fine. I don't play or have any interest in multiplayer or competitive shooters so I have no expectations or opinions on that aspect of the game. If you have a thousand hours invested I'm sure it's agony to hear but they are always pretty upfront about that and never present the podcast as anything other than their experience.

I got like 150 TF2 hours.

Them presenting their take is OK but in this one they totally misrepresented the game by getting lost on every map, not bothering to learn them or the game. They spent most of the time talking about the lore and godawful PVE modes, which they liked best. It's incredibly lazy and totally misses why people play the game.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'm hella looking forward to Mario Galaxy 2, I might even play along since I have it on my Wii U.

It's Mario Galaxy 1

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I thought they did a pretty fine job talking about the mechanics of each class, talked about a number of maps and their design, and mentioned a number of different strategies for using classes in conjunction with each other. But again, I don't play these games at all so I have a different perspective from you, clearly.

For the 10 year episode I suggest setting up a duckfeed WoW shard and leave it up for a month and see what choas oçcurs.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It's Mario Galaxy 1

I got that one too!

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The TF2 is fine. Needing hundreds of hours to learn the map is a massive goddamn problem in a game, even if it does pay off.

If you expect a WoFF episode to match your expert level knowledge about a game then you need to work on your expectations.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't think there's any value to hearing them talk about how much they hate playing games with strangers for the umpteenth time, or how they got lost on a 5CP map, or their keen insight on why it's not OK to be mean to the garbage medic running around trying to kill scouts with his bonesaw. But that was like 5% of the episode and the rest was about the content and mechanics of the game, the art direction, the weirdly large and high-quality corpus of TF2 comics and videos, and so forth.

Sure, they spent more time talking about Mann vs Machine than I've spent playing it, but they touched on everything you could reasonably expect two people without 100 hours to pour into the game to touch on and it seems only reasonable that they'd focus on the parts they enjoyed most. An episode like this is always going to be incomplete due to time constraints and aspects of their personality but I don't think it's fair to call it outright lazy.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

I got like 150 TF2 hours.

Them presenting their take is OK but in this one they totally misrepresented the game by getting lost on every map, not bothering to learn them or the game. They spent most of the time talking about the lore and godawful PVE modes, which they liked best. It's incredibly lazy and totally misses why people play the game.

OK, I have 1K+ hours in TF2 and it was fine.

I didn't have time (yay moving plus race car garbage) to play or write in, but I was into the comp scene for a solid 2 years and nothing that they said or didn't say was some grand offense. Did you skip 10 minutes into the episode and miss their "YO WE ARE FILTHY CASUALS" warning?

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

HMS Boromir posted:

I don't think there's any value to hearing them talk about how much they hate playing games with strangers for the umpteenth time, or how they got lost on a 5CP map, or their keen insight on why it's not OK to be mean to the garbage medic running around trying to kill scouts with his bonesaw. But that was like 5% of the episode and the rest was about the content and mechanics of the game, the art direction, the weirdly large and high-quality corpus of TF2 comics and videos, and so forth.

They are goddamn Normies and it offends me. Gary moreso than Ross.

But theyre the only ones that are thorough when talking about Games, and this episode is way beneath their standards. They shouldnt go that far out of their comfort zone.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

They are goddamn Normies and it offends me. Gary moreso than Ross.

But theyre the only ones that are thorough when talking about Games, and this episode is way beneath their standards. They shouldnt go that far out of their comfort zone.

Ohhhhh oh

The situation becomes clearer

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
Imagine them talking about Super Mario and talking for an hour about how you press a to jump and then for an hour about the super mario bros movie. and they would'nt say anything about the levels exept that they got lost in them because there are so many tubes and doors. And that their favourite part was the toad minigames. That's this episode.

discount cathouse fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 5, 2016

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Imagine them talking about Super Mario and talking for an hour about how you press a to jump and then for an hour about the super mario bros movie. and they would'nt say anything about the levels exept that they got lost in them because there are so many tubes and doors. And that their favourite part was the toad minigames. That's this episode.

maybe take a walk and catch some pokemons ok guy?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

TetsuoTW posted:

maybe take a walk and catch some pokemons ok guy?

Yeah, it's actually getting nicer in a lot of places now that the autumn weather is offsetting the global warming summer heat, go do that.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
They absolutely did play the game and discuss what it entails, in pretty decent detail given they described every class and most of the game modes. They even parked on individual maps for a few minutes at a time, which I personally thought was going above and beyond. There are skill curves and there are skill curves, and the several hours of single player platforming it takes to understand Mario are not comparable to the hundreds of hours of competitive team based multiplayer shooting that it takes to understand the least interesting part of TF2 to talk about to a wide audience.

At the end of the day their normietude is pretty well-established and if you've listened to more than like 3 episodes of the show then it starts being on you to move on if it's not what you're looking for. I guess if you like what they do but don't think it's good enough for a primarily PvP game then that's fair enough but people who approach games like TF2 the way Gary and Kole do outnumber us 10:1, I expect, so just think of this episode as being for them and pretend it never happened.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 5, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I totally get the frustration of a hobbyist listening to a non-hobbyist talk about something. If some EVO champion asked me what I liked about fighting games I would send them running by talking about the differences between Tobal and Erghiez's dungeon crawler and remember Dragoon Might why didn't environmental interaction catch on wait where are you going?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
if you don't like it move on man, you know the way they treat games in a WOFF epiosde, a true in-depth look into Team Fortress would need a podcast series eclipsing bonfireside chat in length and scope. That was absolutely not their goal. I think it served as a fine overview, especially for people who haven't played the game since it launched with the orange box. I also have like 300+ hours played on TF2.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
they got lost on TF2 maps? Most of them are covered in "GO THIS WAY" arrows in the appropriate colors

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't recall if Gary mentioned which map he got lost on but there's definitely a few 5CP maps where if you don't know them you can end up taking a side path that goes from the center point to a team's last point without noticing you skipped past one.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Specifically they mentioned a dam level with changing water levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

tc_hydro? The map that launched with the game, but that no one played after its first year?

cp_steel could be confusing, because it had a slightly different twist on the CP formula (you could capture the final point at any time, capturing prior points made it easier) and it required teamwork instead of shoving everyone into a single choke-point. I liked it very much, then again I also loved ctf-darji16 in the original Unreal Tournament which most people seemed to regard as a labyrinth.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 5, 2016