Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016

Arglebargle III posted:

Marat was like the Glenn Beck of revolutionary France though so good riddance.

huh

is this like in reference to something or

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
True despair isn't about failing at a hard task. It's about persisting until you finally manage to do it, only to realize that it was absolutely pointless. JBlow is great!

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016

Air is lava! posted:

True despair

Paging the DanganRonpa LP to the Witness LP

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

So that's what that feels like

Bruceski posted:

The last minute of that video is beautiful.
It was the slow realization of what Blow had done to us (and that I didn't notice there wasn't a wire coming from the panel)

ManicVolcanic posted:

Excellent work and very entertaining. The Paper Mario music was a nice bonus.
Thanks! Boy, I'm real happy to hear that we can make one puzzle videos work...... also it was Mario RPG ;)

I imagine the development team had a very similar conversation with JBlow about this little section.

LogicalFallacy posted:

Much easier than looking between three separate grids and comparing them.
I forgot if it was mentioned in a video but Katie said that this game should have been called "Hindsight 20/20"

Air is lava! posted:

True despair isn't about failing at a hard task. It's about persisting until you finally manage to do it, only to realize that it was absolutely pointless. JBlow is great!
Now that it happened, I can appreciate how diabolical that whole section was.

Update Time!

Episode 38 - One More (01 Puzzles Solved)

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016

homphgomph posted:

Thanks! Boy, I'm real happy to hear that we can make one puzzle videos work...... also it was Mario RPG ;)

Oh well, I at least got the genre and series right.

This puzzle either takes forever or is fairly quick, because if you start off with the wrong idea it's super hard to change gears. The puzzle you bailed on in the Town is also a pretty tricky one, but you were on the right track. As always, very entertaining. Nice work.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

:rant:

Look at how much earlier you almost had a solution. I'm so mad I downloaded a doodling app just to make this point.

E: Oh the timg box covers the time. That was at 17 minutes.

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016

AlphaKretin posted:

:rant:

Look at how much earlier you almost had a solution. I'm so mad I downloaded a doodling app just to make this point.

You sure about that? There are two black hexagons that are still out in the open, which can be picked up with a quick bend, but the two-square blue shape isn't connected to the tetris T. It wouldn't have worked.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

poo poo. I could swear I saw some point in the video where that would have worked, but maybe I just missed that while watching it.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
No, it would have worked, and I saw it as well. The points that aren't hit in that screenshot are easily fixed by Jesse's green line, which he drew because the line Joe has drawn there separated the two-blue from the T-block.

EDIT: No, never mind, I was drawing my own line in my head when I was watching that was just very similar.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 28, 2016

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016

frozentreasure posted:

No, it would have worked, and I saw it as well. The points that aren't hit in that screenshot are easily fixed by Jesse's green line, which he drew because the line Joe has drawn there separated the two-blue from the T-block.

That would have included the two-blue, yes, but it creates a new problem. Take a look at the image again. Jesse has traced two lines in the relevant area. For visibility's sake, I have traced over relevant sections of Jesse's lines in a different color in separate images.

The first image shows that Jesse's line leaves two other hexagons behind. If you turn inward to collect them, as in the second image, then you can't make the three-block line. It wouldn't have worked.

Ninja edit: You edited your post while I was messing around in MS Paint. I like my drawings and am, therefore, keeping them.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

I think a big reason why that one took us so long was because we were still a bit loopy from the puzzle in the video right before that.

Episode 39 - Feynstein (03 Puzzles Solved)

Doodle
Para Medic Interlude

Also, hey we'll be at PAX but that shouldn't stop me from posting the next video. But just in case it's late or something, that's why!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The secrets that you seek lie under the pink trees.
E: or maybe the secrets that you found. I've no clue what sort of backlog y'all run with.

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
All the puzzles in the Town have the panels the same as the panels in the original areas. The Monastery blocked-path puzzle was on a large lattice, the follow-the-shadows puzzle was on a white panel with green paths, the colored stars puzzle was on a grey panel with dark grey paths like in the Tree Houses, the soundproof room had a red panel with grey lines and an orange panel with dark orange lines to match both types of puzzle from the Jungle, etc. If you think back to what area had bright green panels with black lines, you'll be able to figure out what you need to do easily.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

No fancy pic for this update!

Episode 40 - The Buck Starts Here (7 or 8 I thithink Puzzles Solved)

E: Audio fixed! Joe retutns! Thanks Chrome Remote Desktop, might still be processing Though

homphgomph fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 4, 2016

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
You're voice is kinda silent. In fact it's missing. It works surprisingly well. Was that intentional?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Audio issues aside, I like that puzzle where you have to apply multiple environmental hints. Now it's time for the mountain. :getin:

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
Good job solving the Town. The last two puzzles in that chain, with multiple environmental hints, were colored the way they were to clue you into the most non-obvious aspect: the glare puzzles from the Desert. The light blue on blue and black on red-orange panels both originated there.

You've reached the top of the mountain, and now your final challenge approaches. Good luck!

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Just found this LP a few days ago and it's been a delight to blitz through. I think your format of the groupthink and the digital whiteboard is just about the perfect way to play this game.

I know I'm guilty of taking a picture of my screen with my cell phone and drawing on it for some solutions.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It's not the clouds. You'll know the "gently caress you Johnathan Blow" waiting game when you see it.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'm glad Katie mentioned that you needed to look around you for that solution, because you were kind of stuck on the wrong thing for a while.

Thanks Katie.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Bruceski posted:

It's not the clouds. You'll know the "gently caress you Johnathan Blow" waiting game when you see it.

No, they're right about there being a waiting game in the clouds. It's not as bad because it lines up every 14 minutes but it's there. Of course you also have to find where to stand....

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

Audio issues aside, I like that puzzle where you have to apply multiple environmental hints. Now it's time for the mountain. :getin:
Sorry about all that! Wav files get real wonky in Final Cut Pro X apparently. And ooooh boy the Mountain has made quite the first impression on us.

ManicVolcanic posted:

You've reached the top of the mountain, and now your final challenge approaches. Good luck!
Gosh that's scary sounding.

DopeGhoti posted:

Just found this LP a few days ago and it's been a delight to blitz through. I think your format of the groupthink and the digital whiteboard is just about the perfect way to play this game.

I know I'm guilty of taking a picture of my screen with my cell phone and drawing on it for some solutions.
Hey thanks! We have a lot of fun doing it and I'm glad it's entertaining for people.

Kangra posted:

I'm glad Katie mentioned that you needed to look around you for that solution, because you were kind of stuck on the wrong thing for a while.

Thanks Katie.
Katie was the true MVP of that video. Possibly of this entire LP.

Bruceski posted:

whitehelm posted:

No, they're right about there being a waiting game in the clouds. It's not as bad because it lines up every 14 minutes but it's there. Of course you also have to find where to stand....
The "Cloud to Butts" Chrome extension strikes again!

Update time!

Episode 41 - Top of the World (04 Puzzles Solved)

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
I would say the games has taken a strange new turn, but it really hasn't. A group of dogs playing poker could've been waiting at the bottom of those stairs, and I would've had the same reaction: surprise replaced quickly by a shrug and the thought "what else did I expect."

DocGator
May 6, 2007

Been catching up with this and episode 30s whole "dumb love movie about the guy named rock and there’s a deer at the end when their having sex in the cabin" cracked me the gently caress up. I don't want this playthrough to end

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The more I played The Witness the more the island reminded me of Lost. This mountain base even more so.

The comparison never stopped fitting.

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
Welcome to The End. That's it, that's the name of the area. It's pretty fitting, it has a nice Portal-y vibe throughout, and it contains some fiendish puzzles. The entrance on top of the mountain and the floor you're on are finally bringing the odd perspective nonsense from the environmental puzzles to the puzzle panels. This is where I really started getting frustrated.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

ManicVolcanic posted:

Welcome to The End.

So can you skip it by quitting the game and coming back in two weeks? :v:

E: "This looks like it's gonna take some time" is another good end-of-video thread title.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 8, 2016

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Mr. Highway posted:

I would say the games has taken a strange new turn, but it really hasn't. A group of dogs playing poker could've been waiting at the bottom of those stairs, and I would've had the same reaction: surprise replaced quickly by a shrug and the thought "what else did I expect."
Yeah, pretty much this. I do like one of the little gimmicks they throw at us but overall it's kinda like, "Welp, here's the next area I guess!"

DocGator posted:

Been catching up with this and episode 30s whole "dumb love movie about the guy named rock and there’s a deer at the end when their having sex in the cabin" cracked me the gently caress up. I don't want this playthrough to end
Ugh that movie...of all the movies I had to watch at film school this one stuck out to me because I really really didn't like it and didn't see why I was watching. Glad you're enjoying the videos though!

Tenebrais posted:

The more I played The Witness the more the island reminded me of Lost. This mountain base even more so.
I was getting a little bit of Lost vibe as well minus cloud monster.

ManicVolcanic posted:

This is where I really started getting frustrated.
Ah gently caress.

AlphaKretin posted:

So can you skip it by quitting the game and coming back in two weeks? :v:
Knowing JBlow you'd have to leave the game on for two weeks and watch the mountain slowly crumble into dust in order to skip it.

Episode 42 - Out of Sync (08 Puzzles Solved)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Those puzzles really annoyed me when I went through. You know how to solve them, but they are obscured by annoying flashing lights, moving grids and unpractical perspectives.
I never had any trouble with blinking colors before, but this area made my eyes hurt.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 10, 2016

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016

homphgomph posted:

Ah gently caress.

My primary source of frustration was the entrance to The End at the top of the mountain. The thing where an endpoint appears when you select one of the starting points was added onto the game some time ago; when I got there, all three endpoints were visible at all times, increasing my confusion. The mis-oriented puzzles on the left side of the room I found pretty fun, and the panels in the junk pile didn't throw me off all that much. The vision impairment on the right side was more annoying than anything else -- as soon as I figured out where everything was, I didn't find them that hard. The most irritating part was making a path so that I could even get anywhere.

The End feels like the place where they put all the gimmicks that they couldn't do enough with to have a proper area for each. Unfortunately, most of these gimmicks aren't great. Interestingly, the other place that feels like that is the Orchard, which had no associated laser and probably wasn't placed in the End only because it wouldn't fit in with the laboratory vibe. Which, by the way, is another thing about the End that I sort of disliked. Part of the reason I really liked The Witness is the really gorgeous environment that didn't feel sterile, as so many other puzzle games do. The End feels more like Portal than it does the rest of The Witness.

ginko
Mar 28, 2010

Air is lava! posted:

Those puzzles really annoyed me when I went through. You know how to solve them, but they are obscured by annoying flashing lights, moving grids and unpractical perspectives.
I never had any trouble with blinking colors before, but this area made my eyes hurt.

ManicVolcanic posted:

The End feels like the place where they put all the gimmicks that they couldn't do enough with to have a proper area for each. Unfortunately, most of these gimmicks aren't great. Interestingly, the other place that feels like that is the Orchard, which had no associated laser and probably wasn't placed in the End only because it wouldn't fit in with the laboratory vibe.

Agreed. From what I've seen so far, The End is more or less "let's review what you've learned" mixed with "did you get that this was all fabricated?" with a sprinkling of "look at what we came up with that would've put off a majority of our players if we had this in the main part of the game."

One of the main things pushing me forward is seeing how JB is going to finish this.

ZelgadisA027123
Sep 10, 2016

They will gaze up and strain to find the blue dot in their skies.
Hi hello! It's me! It's Jesse! I finally made an account and deserve to be congratulated.

Seriously though, thanks so much for going on this adventure with us. Reading through this thread and seeing everyone's reactions and responses to our videos is really moving to me. We've had a lot of fun doing these, and I'm really glad that you're enjoying them, too!

For the remaining videos in this series, I'm going to be taking a break from drawing solutions to the puzzles. I've been dealing with nerve pain in my hands, arms, and wrists for the last few weeks, and I'm doing my best to avoid using them until the situation gets sorted out. Fortunately, Katie is a better solver and artist than me anyways =)

Joe, Katie, and I played a three-hour session earlier today, and are distressingly close to the end! @Jonathan_Blow: ball's in your court, bud.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Hope your nerve issues resolve quickly; that doesn't sound fun at all.

When are you guys going to tackle Obduction? (:

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Air is lava! posted:

The idea is kinda silly at first, "oh I see, these puzzles are broken/glitched, neat!" but this quickly loses it's appeal in my opinion.

ZelgadisA027123 posted:

Hi hello! It's me! It's Jesse! I finally made an account and deserve to be congratulated.
Welcome to thread for the last 4 or so videos!

DopeGhoti posted:

When are you guys going to tackle Obduction? (:
I've been looking at that game...I'm definitely interested in checking it out.

Episode 43 - Off-kilter (07 Puzzles Solved)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

homphgomph posted:

Welcome to thread for the last 4 or so videos!

I guess this means you missed a thing.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Air is lava! posted:

Yeah, you should go find out the point of getting all 11 lasers.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

I'm pretty sure that series of puzzles on the left was is there specifically to gently caress with people that use pictures of the screen, or graph paper (or whiteboard software) to solve puzzles ex situ and copy the solutions over.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Obduction is great, just be aware that most of its puzzles are "how do I get there" rather than "solve this." Like Riven, it's possible to do a lot of thinking and puzzle solving and not realize you've done anything because it's a bunch of small things to get around more easily (or at all). It's an exploration game.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Air is lava! posted:

Haha, we're not done and I have no idea how much more of the game is left from where we left off from the last session. I am excited and also dread what's to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm sure you actually can get up close to the orange panels.

• Locked thread