Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Is it fascism yet posted:

The TF2 Episode is probably the worst episode of WofF yet. They shouldn't do Multiplayer games.

just curious, how did you feel about the sf2 episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I was trying to remember if they've done any other episodes like this one and I thought of the SF2 one, but it was a live episode and those are always a huge drop in quality regardless of how deep they dove into the game beforehand.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

tc_hydro? The map that launched with the game, but that no one played after its first year?

cp_steel could be confusing, because it had a slightly different twist on the CP formula (you could capture the final point at any time, capturing prior points made it easier) and it required teamwork instead of shoving everyone into a single choke-point. I liked it very much, then again I also loved ctf-darji16 in the original Unreal Tournament which most people seemed to regard as a labyrinth.

Goddamn I hate tc_hydro so much. I completely forgot about it until just now.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
In the episode, both of them are like "Hydro is loving dreadful".

FILTHY CASUALS KNOW ABOUT THE ANCIENT SECRET KNOWLEDGE OF US OLD TIMERS AND HOW MUCH HYDRO CAN DIE IN A FIRE!!! OH NO!!!!

Can I return this week's episode of WOFF For a Steam refund? Please advise.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
To be fair, Hydro is awful. And Steel is the best map. I played a Blackwell game and am calmed down now.

Brother Entropy posted:

just curious, how did you feel about the sf2 episode?

I never listened to it but i'm not big into fighters either. I just hope they never make a shmup episode.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
they're going to do ikaruga and three people in the audience are going to grit their teeth through the whole episode

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Is it fascism yet posted:

They are goddamn Normies and it offends me. Gary moreso than Ross.

What's a "normie?" Should I be tested?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

bobservo posted:

I think it's the homo sapiens equivalent of "mutie", so... yeah, if you don't know, you probably need a doctor to help figure that out

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

bobservo posted:

I'm pretty sure I've spread it to you if I have it. Well, off to that hidden 9th Hawaiian Island where they have facilities for our kind. It won't be so bad. We can run, maybe dig in the sand a little.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

bobservo posted:

When was the last time you had sex with a podcaster? Has it begun to hurt when you piss into a jar or poop into a sock?

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

tc_hydro? The map that launched with the game, but that no one played after its first year?

cp_steel could be confusing, because it had a slightly different twist on the CP formula (you could capture the final point at any time, capturing prior points made it easier) and it required teamwork instead of shoving everyone into a single choke-point. I liked it very much, then again I also loved ctf-darji16 in the original Unreal Tournament which most people seemed to regard as a labyrinth.

It was hydro specifically.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
The truly offensive oversight in the TF2 WOFF is that they say the Heavy is stupid when in the fiction he is an erudite and philosophical man who simply doesn't speak English well and also murders people for a living. I don't understand why Gary and Kole would even bother to cover this game if they don't have 100 hours to dedicate to the lore.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I'll own that one.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I really enjoyed rob's movie rant on idle weekend. I think the perfect example of what he is talking about is the original texas chainsaw massacre where they used loads local people for the smaller roles.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Reading about the reaction to the TF2 WOFF reminds me that I'm still salty about the WOFF on GOD HAND, and that is a less than ten hour single player action game. Of course, to get through the game in a satisfying way in a dozen hours requires many tens of hours of practice, meditation, and study.

Writing this post made me think of a podcast trying to cover nethack in an hour or two.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jippa posted:

I really enjoyed rob's movie rant on idle weekend. I think the perfect example of what he is talking about is the original texas chainsaw massacre where they used loads local people for the smaller roles.

You talking about the "regular people" conversation? That was part of the creep factor in the original Blair Witch as well. They put out an open casting call for amateur improv actors and mixed planted actors with real townies for the interview then harassed these poor college kids through the woods. By comparison other found footage movies, even if they use relatively unknown actors, everything is distractingly clean like they all had time to put on makeup before every scene.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Is this a place where we can post about our own podcasts? Because some friends and I started one called Skill and Bones Radio. It's only monthly, and only runs about an hour and a half. We take some subject (Star Wars, Game of Thrones, Mad Max, Godzilla) and cover movies, books, video games, board/tabletop games on that subject. We just released our Godzilla episode. Anyhow, I'm bad at promotion, so that's my promotion attempt, thanks for reading it!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

moller posted:

Reading about the reaction to the TF2 WOFF reminds me that I'm still salty about the WOFF on GOD HAND, and that is a less than ten hour single player action game. Of course, to get through the game in a satisfying way in a dozen hours requires many tens of hours of practice, meditation, and study.

Writing this post made me think of a podcast trying to cover nethack in an hour or two.

The worst part was them being unable to get music from the God Hand soundtrack

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

What on earth are you talking about? We totally used music from the soundtrack, we both loved the game and played through on normal.

Gatekeeping is the grossest thing about this hobby and everyone should stop doing it.

EDIT: Probably not the grossest thing. But it's an extremely bad look.

Woffle fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 7, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Kole I just want to let you know that your usage of UYD vocabulary in the last few WOFFs is both noticed and appreciated.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
By the last few WOFFs, do you mean the last six years of me podcasting? That show's lingo is infectious, and I don't realize I'm doing it anymore.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Probably? I just noticed "wanky wanky" during the Phantasy Star IV(?) ep and "baby-soft tees" at the end of the TF2 one. I have the same "problem" so I say fuckin keep it up :v:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I can't help falling into the moneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoney trap.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

On a similar track to Megaten Marathon there's also Square Roots. It's basically a game club where they play through Square's back catalogue. Thus far they've done FFIX and are working through Secret of Mana, they dig in deeper than most podcasts do, and the hosts are likable. Hot tip: start at episode 1, skip 0.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Woffle posted:

What on earth are you talking about? We totally used music from the soundtrack, we both loved the game and played through on normal.

Gatekeeping is the grossest thing about this hobby and everyone should stop doing it.

EDIT: Probably not the grossest thing. But it's an extremely bad look.

I remembered you guys saying you were having trouble getting most of the soundtrack in time? I do remember you used some music, just not as much as you'd like.

Sorry I didn't mean to gatekeep and I agree it's stupid, I was just making a joke about unfortunate circumstances. :(

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I remembered you guys saying you were having trouble getting most of the soundtrack in time? I do remember you used some music, just not as much as you'd like.

Sorry I didn't mean to gatekeep and I agree it's stupid, I was just making a joke about unfortunate circumstances. :(

It's alright. Just getting the poison out. As someone entrenched in the Soulsborne games, I get more than my fair share of "You're not enjoying this right" and it never gets less asinine.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Woffle posted:

It's alright. Just getting the poison out. As someone entrenched in the Soulsborne games, I get more than my fair share of "You're not enjoying this right" and it never gets less asinine.

The Soulsborne fandom is amazing in that it's both one of the best fandoms and one of the worst fandoms at the same time.

One day they're making hilarious invasion videos and doing incredible lore discoveries, the next day they're yelling about how a gif of someone getting killed through a fogwall on a subreddit is a framed attempt to discredit Dark Souls.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So, I made a podcast, a gaming one. I put it on a Wordpress. I've recorded four more and finished editing a second one.

What's the best way to actually publish something like this? I don't know anything about RSS feeds or anything like that.

It's called Childish Games and it's a game design podcast where my three year old is responsible for the game ideas and character design.

Audio quality is spotty due to it being difficult to get him to speak into a microphone, but he's improving on that.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6XZQ1JRnwOxa2c3TlV4QzN1NWs
This episode is about the Zoo On My TV Experience Game. It's a racing game.

Upcoming episodes are Super Mario 8090, Mega Man 30, Samus 45, and Pokemon Window(and Pokemon Table and Pokemon Couch).

Any advice? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

greatn posted:

So, I made a podcast, a gaming one. I put it on a Wordpress. I've recorded four more and finished editing a second one.

What's the best way to actually publish something like this? I don't know anything about RSS feeds or anything like that.

It's called Childish Games and it's a game design podcast where my three year old is responsible for the game ideas and character design.

Audio quality is spotty due to it being difficult to get him to speak into a microphone, but he's improving on that.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6XZQ1JRnwOxa2c3TlV4QzN1NWs
This episode is about the Zoo On My TV Experience Game. It's a racing game.

Upcoming episodes are Super Mario 8090, Mega Man 30, Samus 45, and Pokemon Window(and Pokemon Table and Pokemon Couch).

Any advice? I'd greatly appreciate it.
My advice would be to keep doing whatever you're doing with your son because he has some good ideas.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

greatn posted:

Using libsyn for hosting and rss needs would be the easiest way.
A free alternative is Seriously Simple Podcasting plugin for wordpress to create and manage your RSS feed.
After you have an RSS feed you would want to register it on itunes.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Teaching your kid to say Uh-huh instead of Yes was pro-tier parenting, just FYI. Did you run a noise filter ob this btw? I heard a lot of snow when your son was talking.

Overall, I think I like this. Half way between Molydeux and Ax Cop.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I didn't run a noise filter on this one but I did on the next episode. Typically a lot of his audio I have to normalize or amplify because he tends to speak all over the place instead of at the microphone, so the noise picks up when he is speaking.

I know very little about audacity currently, so I didn't actually discover noise reduction until the next episode.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I haven't been able to set up the RSS plugin or register on iTunes yet, but here is episode 2.

This is actually fourth recorded but probably the best audio quality because of microphone placement, so I'll need to make sure newly recorded ones from 7 onward use the same placement.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6XZQ1JRnwOxUDNYckxCUkZOZ1U

Pokemon Windows

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I suggest setting up a duckfeed WoW shard and leave it up for a month and see what choas oçcurs.

This would probably be a disproportionate amount of work for something that would fall apart but starting a guild and having anyone who wants to be involved make new level 1 guys on some weird server to chronicle its storied two week or whatever history for the sake of a WoW episode would be kind of a funny thing about the actual interesting part of MMOs

I will heal my friends

Woffle posted:

It's alright. Just getting the poison out.

You have to put your lips on the wound and blow

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Oh my god it's so good having a crate and crowbar episode with Tom Francis and bonus awesome guests. Anything but the Chris Thursten Power Hour / awkward Chris'n'Pip relationship baby talk stuff we've had for the last couple of months.

It nearly broke me.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

greatn posted:

I haven't been able to set up the RSS plugin or register on iTunes yet, but here is episode 2.

This is actually fourth recorded but probably the best audio quality because of microphone placement, so I'll need to make sure newly recorded ones from 7 onward use the same placement.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6XZQ1JRnwOxUDNYckxCUkZOZ1U

Pokemon Windows

Sir, your child designed and drew a pokemon called Darkscarf and you didn't post the picture.

Patreon withdrawn :argh:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bug Squash posted:

Sir, your child designed and drew a pokemon called Darkscarf and you didn't post the picture.

Patreon withdrawn :argh:

He doesn't draw, he's playing with play-doh, which is rapidly destroyed as he moves on to the next thing. I'll have to rely on fan art. Although, I suppose I could take photos.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Re: Newest WOFF: aww, Gary you gotta read The Great Outdoor Fight.
Also, it is so vindicating to hear other people acknowledge how awful Toejam and Earl is. Played that game when I was little and HATED it, been trying to understand why it was beloved for years. It has a marvelous aesthetic, but by gods does it ever play like poo poo

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

misadventurous posted:

Re: Newest WOFF: aww, Gary you gotta read The Great Outdoor Fight.
Also, it is so vindicating to hear other people acknowledge how awful Toejam and Earl is. Played that game when I was little and HATED it, been trying to understand why it was beloved for years. It has a marvelous aesthetic, but by gods does it ever play like poo poo

Yup. Unplayable.

Is The Great Outdoor Fight readable on its own? Will I be lost if I don't start from the top?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Nah, it works great as a standalone. Only two of the main characters of the comic appear for most of it, and they're pretty easy to grok. The rest are one-offs.