Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The gently caress is this twitlonger poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What's the WR for Tolki?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

wowzers.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im legit glad he is streaming. i liked him a lot

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
That's old news. I linked that poo poo months ago.

I hold the WR on that release.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Dizz posted:

That's old news. I linked that poo poo months ago.

I hold the WR on that release.

HE BACK THO

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Man he must have quite a few wordfilters in his twitch chat.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

baram. posted:

HE BACK THO

Good poo poo

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I'm aware that's less fun, but this is speedrunning no fun is allowed.

When are the Rocket Knight races.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Chucat posted:

When are the Rocket Knight races.

i will run havoc on the high seas before I run rocket knight

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

do people do a category for titan quest that doesn't use the leveling glitch? stuff like that kind of turns me off of speedruns. if most of the reason you can go fast is due to some incredibly stupid bug where you hammer on the level up button then it feels like it takes out some of the fun.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I can see no glitch% being a category but you would have to accept the fact that the runs will take a few more hours.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Johnny Joestar posted:

do people do a category for titan quest that doesn't use the leveling glitch? stuff like that kind of turns me off of speedruns. if most of the reason you can go fast is due to some incredibly stupid bug where you hammer on the level up button then it feels like it takes out some of the fun.

You can always just not use the bug and call it "Any% No Level Up Glitch".

such is the wonder of speedrunning is that you can basically make it up if you like

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

IT IS TIME

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/Cyberdemon531/status/772867364018851840

:munch:

Dizz fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 6, 2016

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Good luck!!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is the FPS switch a glitch or something? Or what am I supposed to be taking away from that image?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Apparently a dude decided that FPS switching was against the rules and flat out rejected all his submissions.

E: which in theory kinda defeats the purpose of speedrunning since this saves time.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I had to look up what FPS switching even is and idk seems legit to ban console command stuff to me unless the runners agree to play the entire run at that FPS or there's a separate category for it. Just my two cents.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

beep by grandpa posted:

I had to look up what FPS switching even is and idk seems legit to ban console command stuff to me unless the runners agree to play the entire run at that FPS or there's a separate category for it. Just my two cents.

Iirc it's an option in the menu for the steam release of RE4

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
It is, same for Talos Principle, where there are tricks reliant on having the FPS below certain values (like <15 at one spot), and also a lot of Half Life runs use it, but they use it for segmented, so I guess that's a diffrent category.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

"http://www.speedrun.com/re4" posted:

Rules

-In game time is used.
-Special costume 2 is prohibited. Special costume 1 is prohibited on GameCube NTSC
-Single Segment = Done in one sitting/save. No exiting to the main menu, but loading checkpoints is allowed.
-Segmented = Done in multiple saves.
-*Steam only* Exiting to the main menu to change the frame rate is not allowed in SS runs.

Those were the rules he agreed to when he submitted the run. Unless the FPS rule was suddenly added in or something?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Apparently those runs were submitted for segmented, but then they changed the rules instantly and deleted all his submissions.

E: Also exiting to the main menu and continuing in no way changes this from single segment to segmented. it's a loving RTA and done in one sitting.

Dizz fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 6, 2016

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

I love Rock Band and stuff but literally my very first thought was that doing Roundabout last is obviously like the least optimal routing possible for this type of category.

do the hard songs first and work down, not up. I'm aware that's less fun, but this is speedrunning no fun is allowed.

"Why would you do level 1-1 in Mario first? Obviously you should do the hardest level first and work your way back to the easiest!"

It's the Bladder of Steel setlist, they've had one in every Rock Band since the first, it goes from the easiest to hardest. Only reason they made their own setlist instead of choosing the premade one is so they could switch the guitar player to play keys for Imagine since that's the one song in the game without a guitar in it.

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Aside from not missing a single note, how do you even speedrun Rock Band? Doesn't it fall under SHMUP territory where every level(song) is the same length and you can't do anything to shorten them?

Yes, every song is a set length, there's no real way to speed the game up. But it's still a cool accomplishment that takes a lot of skill and stamina, even moreso since, like I said, every miss means a restart of that song, so that's minutes added to the timer for even the smallest mistake. With four people playing on Expert across 83 songs, that's a lot of opportunities to miss. It's pretty cool that they did it at all, much less did it in under 10 hours, which is what everybody was predicting it would take.

But yeah, speedrunning a rhythm game is basically just trying to play for as long as possible without missing, then restarting whichever song you missed on until you don't miss. I've seen runs of the various GH's but those are only ever just one guy, having a full band of four people do the same thing is really rare.

such is the wonder of speedrunning is that you can basically make it up if you like

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Dizz posted:

Apparently those runs were submitted for segmented, but then they changed the rules instantly and deleted all his submissions.

E: Also exiting to the main menu and continuing in no way changes this from single segment to segmented. it's a loving RTA and done in one sitting.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I'm gonna make a rule that obsoletes your rule, I will also make a rule where you can only discuss this in our specific discord, which I will also ban you from.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dizz posted:

:yum:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its surprising to hear that someone in charge of a speedrunning community would just ban another person from that community for little to no reason and also change rules around when it suits him

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Here's a little giggle by the way

Morse66 is the mod who rejected and deleted all those runs

Morse66 holds the Any% WR.

Also this;

https://twitter.com/Cyberdemon531/status/772939159145156608

E: To be fair it's not really a death threat, just a really really really awful joke

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im the group that lets people holding a record decide if someone broke the record

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
That's a hosed up thing to do but it's also happening to the guy that sealions people on twitter that don't like megaman X6 so :shrug:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

In some games, single segment does mean no loading of saves so if you die it's run over. Lots of fun in Xenogears.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

what the hell is sealioning

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

baram. posted:

If it's anything like real sealions, probably just sitting in an open area and being extremely loud and fat

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

baram. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A0l93Bzgbw

but with tweets

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Dizz posted:

I can see no glitch% being a category but you would have to accept the fact that the runs will take a few more hours.

It's basically this. Glitchless would be a perfectly viable category, it'd just take MUCH longer to finish.

If you want to run a Titan Quest-like game that's under 2 hours and doesn't have any major glitches like this one though you can always pick up Grim Dawn! (I'm not just saying this because I want more people to run that game) (okay yes I am)

But basically the only way they could ever truly get rid of the leveling glitch in Titan Quest would be to completely change how zones and loading triggers work, because they made the decision for whatever reason to make entire acts a single map. The area after Parnassus just happens to be where they load a fairly significant part of stuff (probably scripting for the Gorgons fight among other things) and even on a fast computer the game chugs pretty hard. You'd have to more or less rewrite the game from the ground up to make that not an issue, and I doubt Nordic is looking to put in that kind of effort.

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 6, 2016

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I'l get to routing Grim dawn whenever I actually own the game :smug:

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

baram. posted:

http://wondermark.com/1k62/

It got picked up as a term because it's kind of useful.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

They should be nicer to the sealion and tell them why they don't like them

e: that's the fastest way to get rid of one, the speedstrat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Dizz posted:

I'm gonna make a rule that obsoletes your rule, I will also make a rule where you can only discuss this in our specific discord, which I will also ban you from.
Rejected. Reason: Rejected

• Locked thread