Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The Twins are a lot of garbage but the pace that Brian Dozier has been on post all-star game is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Poque posted:

Blue Jays, Marlins, Brewers, Yankees, and Rockies still don't have any complete games.

:smug:

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

รขย€ย• Corey Dostoyevsky
giants update: bad

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

soggybagel posted:

The Twins are a lot of garbage but the pace that Brian Dozier has been on post all-star game is incredible.

3 HR / 4 RBI is a very Brian Dozier day

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Probad posted:

3 HR / 4 RBI in an 11-5 loss is a very Brian Dozier day

I mean, I think the score is relevant too. I always feel bad for cool players on poo poo teams.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

alpha_destroy posted:

I mean, I think the score is relevant too. I always feel bad for cool players on poo poo teams.

Free Mike Trout.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Edwin Jackson of all people struck out 11 Red Sox in his start today.

Fucker.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

CubsWoo posted:

Even without Strop and Rondon the Cubs won Bullpen of the Week last week, going 27.2 innings and allowing 5 runs on 18 hits while striking out 33, walking 10 and earning 3 saves.

Wait the Cubs have a good bullpen now, I'm confused

Say what you will about the Cubs bullpen, but one thing every fan can say about their own team's bullpen is that it's not as bad as the Brewers'. :stare:

Also, I take back everything bad I said about Heyward, Coghlan, and Soler; dudes are swingin'!

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/evanwoodbery/status/766287626101854209

Manager of the year.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

And it was only lately that he finally got his OPS over .700. I enjoy this Justin Upton that hits like a major league LF.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

If only it hadn't taken him 4 1/2 months of watching Upton produce a sub-.700 OPS to make that decision.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Uh, Justin Upton does this every year. He always has one month where he plays like a hall of famer and you think he's turned the corner.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Jesus christ Greinke

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Retail Slave posted:

Fucker.
I was there, it was awesome. Crowd was probably 75% Red Sox fans. I don't own any Padres stuff so I wore a Toronto cap. Jackson also had two excellent PAs where he saw a lot of pitches and drew walks.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

In the continuing saga of former-Cubs-pitchers-that-I-continue-to-follow-due-to-some-obsession, Clayton Richard continues to be a solid starter, and I found this interesting article about Joe Nathan.

Nathan seems like even more of a cool dude after reading that. He was understanding and sympathetic about his untimely release from the Cubs, and shares my regret about how it all happened just a few days before sending multiple other dudes to the DL. The article mentions a 30-day lockout period that would've prevented him from returning to the Cubs, but I still don't understand it; from what I've been able to gather he could've been recalled to the roster within 10 days of designation, and the first guy to leave for the DL went after 6 days IIRC. Is anyone more familiar with the contractual terms that would explain this?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Pitcher wins etc, but for some reason a vocal segment of Yankee fans refuse to bestow the title of Ace upon Tanaka.

https://twitter.com/YESNetwork/status/772807697372700676

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

Pitcher wins etc, but for some reason a vocal segment of Yankee fans refuse to bestow the title of Ace upon Tanaka.

https://twitter.com/YESNetwork/status/772807697372700676

I'm starting to think the only purpose the "ace" designation serves anymore is to slight good pitchers.

N: Rougned Odor hit his 30th dong of 2016 today, becoming the 7th player since 2000 to do that in a Age-22-or-under season

V: The other six are all legit superstars, so that's some pretty good company to be in!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Greinke gave up 8 runs and 5 dingers in his return to Dodger Stadium today. I'm becoming more and more convinced he's a brilliant Dodgers double agent. He fleeced a division rival for money, and is now tanking his value and in particular giving up runs to the Dodgers. Before long he will return to the LA, with Arizona eating a bunch of his contract. Then he will miraculously find his groove again.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

chilihead posted:

Uh, Justin Upton does this every year. He always has one month where he plays like a hall of famer and you think he's turned the corner.

Let me put it this way: A couple more games like this and he'll be back up to 0 WAR for the season. And this stretch spans as many plate appearances as Madison Bumgarner gets for an entire season, so the stats are just as meaningful.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Greinke gave up 8 runs and 5 dingers in his return to Dodger Stadium today. I'm becoming more and more convinced he's a brilliant Dodgers double agent. He fleeced a division rival for money, and is now tanking his value and in particular giving up runs to the Dodgers. Before long he will return to the LA, with Arizona eating a bunch of his contract. Then he will miraculously find his groove again.

Or he sees an opportunity to get the hell out of Arizona if he just pitches so poorly they have no reason not to trade him to the first team that will cover all his salary.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

bawfuls posted:

the Dbacks getting Greinke and Miller reminds me what Colorado did when signing Hampton/Neagle in 2000.

It set the Rockies back for just over five years.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

will_colorado posted:

the Dbacks getting Greinke and Miller reminds me what Colorado did when signing Hampton/Neagle in 2000.

It set the Rockies back for just over five years.

In this scenario which one gets caught with the hooker?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I'm starting to think the only purpose the "ace" designation serves anymore is to slight good pitchers.

The main knock people use against Tanaka is "NOT ENOUGH WINS!" which is hilarious if you look at his pitching lines from this year.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Well I guess it wasn't simply a scalp hematoma as Shoemaker wound up having surgery for that line drive.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
MiLB ended their season last night - who do you expect to be called up for the rest of the year for your team? For the Cubs, I would expect to see Patton, Concepcion, Candelario, Almora and Kawasaki on the MLB roster for a good part of the last 25 games.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CubsWoo posted:

MiLB ended their season last night - who do you expect to be called up for the rest of the year for your team? For the Cubs, I would expect to see Patton, Concepcion, Candelario, Almora and Kawasaki on the MLB roster for a good part of the last 25 games.

All of the Yankees affiliates above GCL/Rookie ball are in the post season (:smug:), and even with that the only guy that I'll say would get called up for sure is OF Mason Williams, although I wouldn't be shocked to see Cesar Puello and Jake Cave (both OF), and maybe even 3B Donovan Solano too.

EDIT: He won't get called up, but LHP Nestor Cortes has a chance to win 4 rings in one year since he's pitched a game at every level from A- to AAA this season :v:

EDIT2: And they called up RHP Bryan Mitchell and LHP James Pazos today, who I figured would both stay in AAA for the post-season since they're coming off of DL stints...

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 6, 2016

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Retail Slave posted:

Fucker.

It will be 2050 and Edwin Jackson will still alternate between 8IP 12K and 1.2IP 8ER.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Because it's Detroit, the guy that people are praying hardest to come up complaining the most about not being called up is a relief pitcher.

He's pretty good though

Ice To Meet You fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 6, 2016

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Luigi Thirty posted:

It will be 2050 and Edwin Jackson will still alternate between 8IP 12K and 1.2IP 8ER.

I would have gone with no-hitters and all-hitters.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
None of the Giants' top prospects are on the 40-man roster and they'll probably just pick up a third catcher.

Though Giants top prospect Tyler Beede did win the PCL ERA title, I don't see him getting called up until 2017 at the earliest.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
They seem more dedicated to letting Posey die on the field than ever this year, so I'm prepared for them to put Trevor Brown on the DL and go without any backup catchers the rest of the way

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

cards really control their own destiny for a wild card

5 vs pirates
4 vs brewers
4 vs giants
3 vs rockies
6 vs cubs
4 vs reds

only 1 day off the rest of the season, but most teams are probably in the same situation. The giants and pirates games are really important and they need to split with the cubs.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Scob posted:

cards really control their own destiny for a wild card

5 vs pirates
4 vs brewers
4 vs giants
3 vs rockies
6 vs cubs
4 vs reds

only 1 day off the rest of the season, but most teams are probably in the same situation. The giants and pirates games are really important and they need to split with the cubs.

congrats on your five automatic wins, the pirates have completely mailed it in

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Since August 1st he has ten doubles and nineteen home runs in ~35 games with an OPS of something like 1.250.

Supposedly he tweaked his batting stance sometime around the All-Star Break and worked on it some more in the middle of July. Yeah, I'd say he did. And, if you look the highlights of his three home runs from the other day he hit the living poo poo out of all three of them.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

ALFbrot posted:

It's breaking my heart that the Pirates are in freefall. While I still enjoyed the wins, I really didn't want the Cubs to sweep them last week.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Crazy Ted posted:

And, if you look the highlights of his three home runs from the other day

Don't mind if I do!

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/vtp_player_tracking/v1140839483?game_pk=448916

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

News: The Rays have a "peak performance coach."

quote:

ST. PETERSBURG — Evan Longoria has had the journal in his locker for years, using it for typically no more than scribbling fantasy football tips.

But this spring, at the instruction of Howard Falco, the "peak performance coach" the Rays brought into camp, Longoria grabbed a pen and got busy.

First, Longoria, for the first time he can remember, wrote out the key statistics for each year of his career to provide a base. Then, his assignment was to jot down specific numerical goals for this season, such as how many home runs he could hit.

Falco's theory was to give it permanence on paper as a point of reference to look at during the season and, more importantly, to get Longoria to think aggressively and aim high.

"It's really the first time I've ever done it," Longoria said. "In talking to Howard Falco … about making some mental changes and the possibility of things if you really believe it, and for me, he said to write some numbers down and you'll be shocked at the end of the year."

Longoria won't yet reveal his target, but with 31 homers in the books and his career high of 33, set seven years ago, clearly in sight, it seems that the exercise has paid off.

And, if anything, that Longoria may have aimed too low.

"The number I wrote down was a little bit higher than 30, so if I can get to that number I wrote down — it wasn't 40, but 40, I feel like, if I have a great month it's definitely attainable," Longoria said. "I don't want to put a limit on what's possible."

Views: Can he teach the rest of the roster how to hit too?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

ALFbrot posted:

That's what they get for demoting Jeff Locke. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Luigi Thirty posted:

It will be 8050 and Edwin Jackson will still alternate between 8IP 12K and 1.2IP 8ER.

Fixed.

• Locked thread