Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Either Munakata's the killer or Naegi is. If it's Munakata, he might be aware of it because Tengan told him and he gave zero fucks. That might explain why he killed Juzo so suddenly. Naegi could also be the killer with the caveat that it's all subconscious or otherwise something he's done without any awareness. In addition, he's given a temporary dose of strength juice so as to pull off some of the kills that he's done. One note is that his NG code still works so it brings up the question of range since he can't exactly run there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Slur posted:

Nagito has frontotemporal dementia. It's possible that it and the shock of being shot would have maybe scrambled his memory a bit.

Hahaha, they haven't brought this up once and saying that's the reason is stupid because it's such a convenient place for it to happen. There's nothing to disprove that, but it's still lame as poo poo to fall on that when it hasn't been touched upon and it's such a key thing that this character doesn't know him.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 6, 2016

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Slur posted:

Nagito has frontotemporal dementia. It's possible that it and the shock of being shot would have maybe scrambled his memory a bit.

It's also possible that Izuru has already cut his hair to look like Hajime when they're on the boat, and that's why Nagito didn't recognize him.

Xelkelvos posted:

Either Munakata's the killer or Naegi is. If it's Munakata, he might be aware of it because Tengan told him and he gave zero fucks. That might explain why he killed Juzo so suddenly. Naegi could also be the killer with the caveat that it's all subconscious or otherwise something he's done without any awareness. In addition, he's given a temporary dose of strength juice so as to pull off some of the kills that he's done. One note is that his NG code still works so it brings up the question of range since he can't exactly run there.

If the killer is one of the class 78 students, it would feel like too much of a swerve. Unless Ryota is the mastermind and he's using his brainwashing animation techniques to make people kill who normally wouldn't.

There aren't a lot of suspects left, though. If we agree that the Class 78 students are innocent, then the villain would have to be Munakata or Ryota. Unless there's a hidden participant, or someone faked their death.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

what if there's an shsl necromancer and they revived Junko

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Wyvernil posted:

It's also possible that Izuru has already cut his hair to look like Hajime when they're on the boat, and that's why Nagito didn't recognize him.

Except in a flashback that happens in Chapter 6 when Hajime realizes who he is, we see Izuru with the long black hair and everything, so he never cut his hair to begin with

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm caught up now and whoever said that Sakakura responding to Munakata with nothing but blatant confusion was right. Rip Sakakura, you shithead. You were the least terrible of the worst three characters in Future Arc, but you had the best voice and were the closest to being an actual character. Munakata is the worst despite having Morikawa as his va, but that might also be what makes him worse than Ruruka since it's a blatant misuse of Morikawa.

Ruruka though, gently caress her. Also is this the fourth time limit? I could've sworn the game's first time limit ended with Great Gozu's death and they would now be going into the fourth time limit.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The period where Chisa was killed was the first time limit, since that's when the attacker had the first chance to strike. So their victims go Chisa > Gozu > Seiko > Ruruka.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's so weird because the entire concept of the time limit wasn't known until after she was dead.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the only purpose i can see in all this nonsense is if someone really, really hated the leaders of the ff and wanted them to suffer before they died. i don't see how it has anything to do with hope or despair. it just all seems very personal, you know?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It is personal. It's not even being live broadcast like the killer said.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

If "Chisa being the mastermind" is an accurate theory, the MO was probably staring us in the face since episode 1 - Chisa recites to Naegi how she wants him and Munakata to work together, as two strong hopes can make one bigger one.

This is a line not unlike Komaeda's remarks of him believing when hope sticks together, it shines brighter. The only difference is that Komaeda is specifically about hope needing to overcome despair to become stronger.

So what if the Final Killing Game is to provide the despair to make hope even stronger than before?
Either way, most of the FF leaders are pretty garbage people. Maybe even worse than the Remnants of Despair they've been fighting.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

COBRARocky posted:

Kodaka fleeing from twitter before the episode aired is still making me laugh.

Can't really blame him

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It is personal. It's not even being live broadcast like the killer said.

well, if it is personal then it probably doesn't have anything to do with the usual hope/despair fanaticism.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

Also could I get a side story explaining whatever the gently caress Sonosuke saw in Ruruka, please?
I will personally believe that it was the candy

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Serious Frolicking posted:

well, if it is personal then it probably doesn't have anything to do with the usual hope/despair fanaticism.

Don't kid yourself: it's always about hope and despair whether we like it or not.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Xelkelvos posted:

I really doubt Makoto is the killer, but as for him not running, we have no idea how long people fall asleep for. It could be for an hour, or longer than that.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

turns out they fall asleep for days at a time, Hagakure has been living it up hermit-style for weeks now

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

LightningKimba posted:

Either way, most of the FF leaders are pretty garbage people. Maybe even worse than the Remnants of Despair they've been fighting.
I guess it depends on how you want to see it. At worst they're extremists, but most of them seem to be pretty good people. The shittiest ones are Munakata, Ruruka, Juzo and Izayoi and all four of them survived a pretty long time. Tengan is pretty loving shady, but he was willing to hear Naegi out before making any calls. The nicer ones got killed off very fast.

The Remnants of Despair... it's true that they're all brainwashed, but the FF may not see it that way. Of course we know that they're good kids who got hosed over by Junko, but to the FF they're a dozen or so people who have caused millions of deaths. They don't want to take any effort to rehabilitate them, or see them as victims of Junko's actions, they just want to kill them for destroying the world.

That said, I wonder if we're going to get a Jabberwock centric episode at any point. We still have three more episodes left, and there's that hanging plot thread of Munakata's forces descending upon the island while Hinata watches.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

lotus circle posted:

That said, I wonder if we're going to get a Jabberwock centric episode at any point. We still have three more episodes left, and there's that hanging plot thread of Munakata's forces descending upon the island while Hinata watches.

If they're going to devote an episode to Jabberwock Island, I'm thinking it will be the next one. We're approaching the final showdown, so there's not much more room to put it, plus it would keep us in suspense as to whether or not Kirigiri managed to save herself with the W-Cure.

Plus, if my instincts are right and Chiaki is going to die in Despair Episode 9, then an update on the former remnants would be the perfect place to put the surprise twist that Chiaki survived. Plus, in the next Despair episode we'll get to see what impact (if any) Chiaki had on Izuru, which would help to answer the question as to whether Izuru/Hajime has gone back to being in despair again.

At the very least, I'm expecting a stinger to update us on the Jabberwock Island plot, even if it's to show that Izuru is so badass he managed to scuttle the entire Future Foundation fleet. At most, I'm thinking that the underwater replica of the Future Foundation HQ is actually under Jabberwock Island instead of under its original island. If the facility is actually a submersible craft, it would explain why Hagakure never saw anyone leave the island.

Of course, this would mean that Togami and Hagakure aren't at the right spot and won't show up at the eleventh hour to save the day. But it's possible that the former Remnants are good now, and will be the ones to save the day in order to repay Makoto for helping them. Seeing the remnants reformed would be the ultimate refutation of the radicals' stance.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Wyvernil posted:

At most, I'm thinking that the underwater replica of the Future Foundation HQ is actually under Jabberwock Island instead of under its original island. If the facility is actually a submersible craft, it would explain why Hagakure never saw anyone leave the island.

It would kind of be cheating to have the explosion from the missile that nearly hit Hagakure match up with the rumbling that knocked over the bookshelf covering the secret passage.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Debris from the topside tower was falling past the window Juzo found so it's probably like this:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

a cartoon duck posted:

turns out they fall asleep for days at a time, Hagakure has been living it up hermit-style for weeks now

I doubt it'd be days, since Kirigiri would probably have noticed all the blood having been dried for ages when she inspected corpses.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I doubt it'd be days, since Kirigiri would probably have noticed all the blood having been dried for ages when she inspected corpses.

She's noticed a billion things that she hasn't told us. Why would she tell us that, even if she had noticed it?

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

a cartoon duck posted:

When they finally get out, it turns out that the Tragedy is over, and the world is back to normal without them.

Pissing off Munakata enough to try to end the world again.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Episode 12: Makoto goes back in time, gives Monaka a spanking before she kills Miaya, explains his reasoning for saving the Despair Kids to the FF and tells them to stop being dicks, punches the Mastermind in the face, and goes to see the cast on Jabberwock Island.

The air purification machine from Danganronpa 1 was in fact, a time machine. The air outside has been proven to be breathable and Monobear/Junko was just screwing with people. The reason she was ok with killing herself was because she had the ability to go back in time, and then win for real.

Sorry if the spoiler is too real. Source: I've played this game before.

gently caress that guy. they were having a meeting about whether or not to execute someone and yet he kept babbling nonsense even though he knew it pissed people off.

He's like Jigsaw in that he's the mastermind and dead all along. :woah:

lets hang out posted:

Juzo is a hero and he's going to save the day

I'm neutral on him but him trashing Hinata was pretty funny.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 7, 2016

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I feel like the brainwashing theory is way too inconsistent, even for this series. DR1 and DR2 were very simple, there are multiple attackers because there are multiple *motives* that would drive someone to murder. If anything, it's likely that one person is chosen not to sleep and is instead given a motive to kill someone and they usually follow that through because despair and selfish people, etc. Juzo probably did kill Chisa out of jealousy. Izayoi probably killed Chemistry gal. Ruruka could probably kill herself after killing Izayoi. I'll probably have to finally catch up with Despair to think harder about it, but other than loving Nagito, I really can't bear to watch Despair Side.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Juzo being the attacker or at least killing Chisa would be a pretty good explanation for "You know what you did".

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

And by pretty good I mean the only one

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Voted Worst Mom posted:

I feel like the brainwashing theory is way too inconsistent, even for this series. DR1 and DR2 were very simple, there are multiple attackers because there are multiple *motives* that would drive someone to murder. If anything, it's likely that one person is chosen not to sleep and is instead given a motive to kill someone and they usually follow that through because despair and selfish people, etc. Juzo probably did kill Chisa out of jealousy. Izayoi probably killed Chemistry gal. Ruruka could probably kill herself after killing Izayoi. I'll probably have to finally catch up with Despair to think harder about it, but other than loving Nagito, I really can't bear to watch Despair Side.

Brainwashing makes a certain amount of sense. All of the murders have had a number of consistencies that on the surface would have to mean one killer, but if they were brainwashed to kill and pose the bodies in a particular fashion would be the only way there could be multiple attackers. It would also explain how Gozu's murder seemed to occur in a sealed room. The problems with the theory being the knives and how some of the bodies were arranged.

voltcatfish posted:

And by pretty good I mean the only one

He could just be an accomplice. It's been telegraphed that one of those three used knowledge of the facility to help.

It also occurred right after Munakata got the NG list, so it's possible that revealed something. Jozu's been acting like he can't punch, but until it's confirmed, it's possible that he had a NG like Kirigiri. Munakata could also just be crazy.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

LostRook posted:

It also occurred right after Munakata got the NG list, so it's possible that revealed something. Jozu's been acting like he can't punch, but until it's confirmed, it's possible that he had a NG like Kirigiri. Munakata could also just be crazy.

You have a point. I've never considered Juzo potentially having an NG Code like "Chisa Yukizome survives past the first round" and him just making me think his code was about punching

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Juzo just didn't pray to the Shadow the Hedgehog poster before going to sleep and was no longer edgy enough to hang out with Yu Narukami.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

It just occurred to me that the mastermind has to be someone who knows about Monomi.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

voltcatfish posted:

You have a point. I've never considered Juzo potentially having an NG Code like "Chisa Yukizome survives past the first round" and him just making me think his code was about punching

He'd have to be a really good actor if that was the case. He seemed pretty terrified of almost punching Tengan in the face.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
unless he was fooling everyone for years, he is just a dumb thug. and if he was fooling everyone for years, then he is obviously the mastermind.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

fractalairduct posted:

It just occurred to me that the mastermind has to be someone who knows about Monomi.

Interesting, why is this a requirement?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
monomi was altered into monobear's sister at jabberwock island. only the people involved with what happened there would know about it. well, i guess a second, unrelated junko ai might do the exact same thing, but there hasn't really been any of her trademark bullshit.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

fractalairduct posted:

Why? Monokuma seemed to have no idea who monomi was. Also, it seems like anyone who signed off on the DR2 video game would know about the monomi program.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

monomi was altered into monobear's sister at jabberwock island. only the people involved with what happened there would know about it. well, i guess a second, unrelated junko ai might do the exact same thing, but there hasn't really been any of her trademark bullshit.

Still, unless you're saying that scene was just monokuma playing stupid, he actually probably doesn't know anything about Monomi. If anything, that just means that Junko AI is accurate as gently caress when it comes to predicting the behavior of the mastermind. I think that's evidence for the opposite claim: the mastermind has to be the only person who doesn't know about Monomi.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Right, so basically knowing monomi means some involvement with the jabberwock incident but that doesn't suggest how they were involved. I don't think this could be used as conclusive evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it might have been completely meaningless, too. just making sure that monomi couldn't stay in her original form no matter what.

• Locked thread