Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Elite college athletes should be turned into paid employees of professional minor leagues for their sports. The college programs should shrink back to recreational size where nobody gets to make a million dollars.

Baseball minor leagues are fun because the tickets are dirt cheap and you get to see players before they turn into stars (and also mostly bad players but that is part of the fun.) Also hot dog races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

Assistant football coaches at SEC schools with barely winning records can make over a million a year. The amount of money anyone makes in academia is not subject to logic. It's either shareholders or endowments. Both suck.

The biggest difference is probably their funding models. Universities have heavy fixed costs so they can only enroll so many students before poo poo becomes unprofitable. Distance learning can ramp up quicker and easier - but quality suffers and they set themselves up for a bad crash. Also for-profit schools have to constantly advertise because no one wants to go to Devry because their daddy went to Devry and his daddy before him. State schools don't have that problem. They can protect kiddie loving in their stadium and people will still climb over themselves for a chance to wear their gear and cheer in that venue.

Community college is the only pure academic institution left.

Also Georgia a diverse enough geography that it can emulate any area that's not desert or tundra. I'd normally include oceanfront too (Savannah is not a pretty beach) except the live action part of the Spongebob movie where they have a chase through a beach resort town was also filmed in Atlanta.

When they filmed Anchorman 2 here, the producers said the tax credits essentially made the film free to make. I'm not sure how that's possible, but hey - studio accounting.

As someone who lived in Indiana, the town did not look like Indiana at all :colbert:

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

Baseball minor leagues are fun because the tickets are dirt cheap and you get to see players before they turn into stars (and also mostly bad players but that is part of the fun.) Also hot dog races.

Unfortunately minor league players get paid so little they have to usually live with someone giving them free rent

Despite the fact one major athlete's contract for the Yankees could give everyone in the minor leagues a living wage

so unless minor leagues will at least give a living wage, gently caress that

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

C-SPAN Caller posted:

As someone who lived in Indiana, the town did not look like Indiana at all :colbert:

Not enough corn?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

canyoneer posted:

Yeah I guess you're right, the "athletics fee" I paid in undergrad at a Pac 12 school must have been for something else

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/sports/wp/2015/11/23/running-up-the-bills/

The athletics fee usually goes to cover sports other than Football and Basketball ("non-revenue" sports), which PAC-12 schools tend to support a lot of (and I think pay more for because of geography-related travel costs). The finances of college athletics departments are generally incredibly opaque (especially when you take into account things like "how much does this drive alumni donations/enrollment?") and vary from school to school, but generally speaking the coaching salaries associated with the football program of a Power 5 school are not what will cause those schools to lose money on athletics.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Lmao don't those players have to share rooms and go on food stamps to be able to have a shot at the big time?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Unfortunately minor league players get paid so little they have to usually live with someone giving them free rent

Despite the fact one major athlete's contract for the Yankees could give everyone in the minor leagues a living wage

so unless minor leagues will at least give a living wage, gently caress that

Yes they get paid crap, but lol if you think the salary from one player will cover the salary of the 6000 players in the minor leagues.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

fits my needs posted:

Lmao don't those players have to share rooms and go on food stamps to be able to have a shot at the big time?

Most American born baseball players come from rich backgrounds, because the only way you get noticed by talent scouts is to play summer touring baseball as a teenager. That costs upwards of $7k/season independent of room, board, costs for accompanying family, etc.

Andrew McCutchen was part of an article recently on The Undefeated about how hard it was to break in, and how African American representation in big league baseball is lower than it has been at any point since the fifties.

http://theundefeated.com/features/andrew-mccutchen-in-the-country-of-baseball/

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Yes they get paid crap, but lol if you think the salary from one player will cover the salary of the 6000 players in the minor leagues.

sorry it would take at least 8 a-rods per year my bad

his entire contract over many years could do it tho

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

There's basically a pipeline of hucksters who are there to take money from these kids' rich parents and tell them how good they are at baseball, until the late teens when real talent scouts start showing up to filter out the vanity players from the real talent. But without that pipeline there's no real way to break in.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

C-SPAN Caller posted:

sorry it would take at least 8 a-rods per year my bad

his entire contract over many years could do it tho

At least those players are paid.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I went to one that was "Free bread night" and I got a free loaf of bread!

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

I went to one that was "Free bread night" and I got a free loaf of bread!

What kind of bread? I mean there is a difference between Dave's Killer Bread Night and Wonder Bread Night.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

What kind of bread? I mean there is a difference between Dave's Killer Bread Night and Wonder Bread Night.

Kroger bread night

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

Kroger bread night

As they say, it's the thought that counts. Hope you made some good peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with it.

Also getting back to companies circling the drain: SolarCity.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Binghamton University is considered a "Public Ivy." The downtown campus has a plaque dedicated to a deceased state senator who was found to be a corrupt scumbag like most of Albany's politicians. The administration wanted to field a competitive men's basketball team so badly that they let their "student-athletes" get away with doing nothing for classes (par for the course for most big name programs, but Binghamton is a fairly recent D-I program that prides itself on academic selectiveness) and were barred for a couple of years from NCAA tournament. The international students' office has multiple incidents of not straightening out records for students on visa so that they're forced to leave, sometimes before they finish their degrees (my ex-girlfriend heard that news but was finished with all of her work for her Master's, so she just had to leave immediately after graduation).

It's a stupid term that means nothing.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Y-Hat posted:

Binghamton University is considered a "Public Ivy." The downtown campus has a plaque dedicated to a deceased state senator who was found to be a corrupt scumbag like most of Albany's politicians. The administration wanted to field a competitive men's basketball team so badly that they let their "student-athletes" get away with doing nothing for classes (par for the course for most big name programs, but Binghamton is a fairly recent D-I program that prides itself on academic selectiveness) and were barred for a couple of years from NCAA tournament. The international students' office has multiple incidents of not straightening out records for students on visa so that they're forced to leave, sometimes before they finish their degrees (my ex-girlfriend heard that news but was finished with all of her work for her Master's, so she just had to leave immediately after graduation).

It's a stupid term that means nothing.

What idiots, the real gravy train is turning it into a diploma mill for foreign students, but I guess it doesn't matter if you kick out the foreign suckers after they've paid? Sorry for your loss.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Is radio dead yet? I been driving a lot lately and switch on the radio between CDs and they play the same 4 songs atleast 10 times a day. It's always that lovely disturbed song of silence and creep by radiohead, and that ambassador X renegade. I swear every time I turn on the radio there's a50%chance its one of those songs. The DJs must be turning into mad hatters playing this poo poo constantly

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

It really depends where you are (obviously). Something like 99% of the radio stations in the country are owned by the same lovely media conglomerate and they are just awful, but there are some diamonds in the rough out there.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Consolidation by ClearChannel, the collapse of alt-rock, the growth of EDM and the growing irrelevance of albums have all contributed to a rather samey-sounding set of popular music today. LA's alternative mainstay, KROQ, sounds barely different than the pop radio stations.

Well, that and the fact that you've probably aged out of the "popular" music demographic.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

darkhand posted:

Is radio dead yet? I been driving a lot lately and switch on the radio between CDs and they play the same 4 songs atleast 10 times a day. It's always that lovely disturbed song of silence and creep by radiohead, and that ambassador X renegade. I swear every time I turn on the radio there's a50%chance its one of those songs. The DJs must be turning into mad hatters playing this poo poo constantly

There was some funny drama in the NPR community in Seattle, where one NPR affiliate tried to buy the other for $8M, mostly using money from pledge drives, so they could basically corner the lucrative public radio market or something.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Is electronic music more popular now then in recent history? I assume that it is way easier to make the stuff then it was in like the 90's (when us cool kids recorded poo poo on a 4 track that used cassette tapes) but like, I never really hear it out and around.

Radio in general is weird, other then one college station, every "rock" station around here plays like 80% the same stuff they played when I was in highschool like 20 years ago. I assume the 20% I don't recognize is newer music but it still sounds like numetal or alt-rock.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

I can't find the article now because the news is just flooded with articles about some shooting in a factory there... maybe it wasn't Kansas. It was def a Southern state losing a fat factory deal because the workers were just too uneducated though.

Idk but the skill gap is coming from somewhere.

This was in the South. A union rep for one of the big manufacturers was being interviewed on why they relocated from Alabama to Canada and he said that the workers in the South didn't understand the instructions at first. So they switched to pictograms and the workers were STILL requiring a ton of extra training because they still weren't literate and couldn't grasp the concepts.

Relocated to Canada, paid more in taxes, and it was worth it because I guess the Canadian workers could read.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Maybe hire people that could read would be a less costly maneuver, but I'm no businessman

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Fondly remembering my Radioshack.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I used to work for a company that made software for chemical, agri, and pharm labs. When our services guys had to go out on assignment they hated it because it would always been in some one stoplight town in the middle of nowhere. Most of the lab staff were barely high school educated and could only follow the steps given to them which was usually, "Put item on the balance. Write down the number displayed. Remove items from the balance" God forbid the days when the lab supervisor was out and these people has to call in for support.

I had a theory that most of the big chemical companies and refineries pick cities like this because they know there is a ton of unskilled labor they can exploit and get tons and tax breaks from local government. Also the work force isn't smart enough or too afraid of retaliation to report any shady practices that may be happening.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

fits my needs posted:

What idiots, the real gravy train is turning it into a diploma mill for foreign students, but I guess it doesn't matter if you kick out the foreign suckers after they've paid? Sorry for your loss.
In the case of my ex, they didn't thoroughly go over all of the forms she needed to fill out for her internship that's the central part of the program's Masters thesis. So when they told her two weeks before graduation that she didn't fill out one of those forms, they told her that she was technically working there illegally, and their advice was to leave soon after she graduated. Her original plan was to stay for the remaining six months of her student visa and make a decision of whether stay and apply for a new visa or return to China. She mentioned that there was a student from Korea who wasn't even close to finishing his degree and was in the same situation, and hinted that these weren't isolated incidents.

It sucks that a relationship with someone that I loved ended because a part of the university couldn't get their poo poo in order.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Modern radio is funky. A local morning show went national and immediately excised any mention of local establishments or politics or current events. Their traffic comes from a central office that handles traffic reports for half a dozen other stations and the only time they mention their own city is a few minutes every hour during station identification.

I guess once you hit a certain level you have to syndicate because no one makes enough money in a single market.

There was some funny drama in the NPR community in Seattle, where one NPR affiliate tried to buy the other for $8M, mostly using money from pledge drives, so they could basically corner the lucrative public radio market or something.

Our NPR station in Atlanta has been doing pretty well, expanding local programing, and hitting their pledge numbers via the subscription model.

So what happens? The PBS TV affiliate buys out the 100k watt college station and is now competing directly with the NPR station showing the same loving programing. Do you really like This American Life and can't figure out internet streaming or podcasts? Well now it's on 4 times a week between two stations in the same market.

NPR stations will be circling the drain once all the olds die and people realize they can just donate straight to the 3 NPR stations that produce 90% of the content.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Yossarian posted:

I have a jastigar related confession- I actually don't mind Des Moines despite threatening him with violence. I live to close to Iowa to bust his balls too bad

Printed and Framed. Now ya done hosed up.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

Krispy Kareem posted:

Our NPR station in Atlanta has been doing pretty well, expanding local programing, and hitting their pledge numbers via the subscription model.

So what happens? The PBS TV affiliate buys out the 100k watt college station and is now competing directly with the NPR station showing the same loving programing. Do you really like This American Life and can't figure out internet streaming or podcasts? Well now it's on 4 times a week between two stations in the same market.

NPR stations will be circling the drain once all the olds die and people realize they can just donate straight to the 3 NPR stations that produce 90% of the content.

I forgot they did that. Goddamn, npr loving blows (not just for that reason tho)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jastiger posted:

This was in the South. A union rep for one of the big manufacturers was being interviewed on why they relocated from Alabama to Canada and he said that the workers in the South didn't understand the instructions at first. So they switched to pictograms and the workers were STILL requiring a ton of extra training because they still weren't literate and couldn't grasp the concepts.

Relocated to Canada, paid more in taxes, and it was worth it because I guess the Canadian workers could read.

Knew it was down there somewhere.

darkhand posted:

Idk but I can tell you most DJing is done by robot/remote now. I think maybe the morning chat shows are still legit but otherwise a lot of radio is def just a playlist with some pre-recorded voice phrases like it is Radio New Vegas.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Moridin920 posted:

Idk but I can tell you most DJing is done by robot/remote now. I think maybe the morning chat shows are still legit but otherwise a lot of radio is def just a playlist with some pre-recorded voice phrases like it is Radio New Vegas.

Tabatha was the better DJ though

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

Then I'm glad I live in the range of one of those three (WNYC). Well, I'm not glad because I don't like listening to any of what they broadcast besides the NYC-based news program that airs from 10am-12pm every weekday, but a lot of people will be. I also don't listen to a single NPR podcast because I don't see any reason to.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I swear most of sports radio morning shows are just around because of draft kings ads.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

BexGu posted:

I swear most of sports radio morning shows are just around because of draft kings ads.
Draft Kings, Fan Duel, and these other sites that are just ways to enrich their creators were nonexistent three years ago. Today you can't even avoid their ads when watching NHL or MLS. Isn't this a Spotify-like case of taking venture capitalist money and acting like they're more important than they really are?

New York is so corrupt (the old state senator honored by Binghamton University had a reputation for being uncorruptable until those revelations came forth) that when our attorney general went on the warpath to outlaw these sites as gambling (which they are, and he actually succeeded for a time), these parasites bribed enough legislators and the governor to get them reclassified as something else while allowing them to keep their entire business model. There are far more important issues facing our state but this was a Big Deal up in Albany in this year's legislative session.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Y-Hat posted:

Draft Kings, Fan Duel, and these other sites that are just ways to enrich their creators were nonexistent three years ago. Today you can't even avoid their ads when watching NHL or MLS. Isn't this a Spotify-like case of taking venture capitalist money and acting like they're more important than they really are?

It's a case of startups/VCs exploiting a gambling law loophole to rake in poo poo tons of money from rubes and to operate outside of gambling regulations and protections.

Frankly I'm amazed they are still operating but I guess if you have enough cash you can lobby anything to death.

e: quick google seems to suggest that lobbying and advertising costs are wrecking their bottom line recently though

Moridin920 has a new favorite as of 20:42 on Sep 6, 2016

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The best part is they almost got legislated out of existence because one of their employees won big with inside information. As prevalent as they are now, they were EVERYWHERE before that happened.

How he didn't end up dumped in a lake I don't know.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
AM talk radio is where it's at

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Yeah, I am from Kansas and while I know the state's hosed ("getting Brownbacked" brings up interesting mental images) I'd defend the honor of our state's workforce. Kansas is a major manufacturer of small aircraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah but didn't you guys just lose a huge Boeing factory/contract not too long ago?