Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Mordja posted:

Welp, looks like the beta is gonna end this Thursday.

Beta never ends bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Having a tank on the last Rush objective is really helpful; I came in at the very end of a match and managed to snag it. Basically sat on the antenna the whole round while the enemy team fed itself into my light flanker tank shots.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mordja posted:

Welp, looks like the beta is gonna end this Thursday.

It feels like this Beta has gone on forever now. Or maybe thats just me never getting tired of playing the same map over and over and over :D

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Not that people ever get better at these games, but Rush especially is just hilarious when people decide to bail from their disabled vehicles instead of sinking with their (land)ship like they should

at the last objective my team had 2 light, 2 heavies AND the artillery truck, it was gross

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Bohemian Nights posted:

Not that people ever get better at these games, but Rush especially is just hilarious when people decide to bail from their disabled vehicles instead of sinking with their (land)ship like they should

My favorite is when I have to jump out of my tank to disarm an objective because there's no other teammates around. Using the hulk of my tank to block sniper shots actually works pretty well.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

dropkickpikachu posted:

It is a pre-release beta holy moly folks

Fake edit: what the gently caress do the orange icons that pop up on the right of the hud mean? One looks like 35mm film with an exclamation mark, one looks like a clock with an arrow around it

Oh man I dig that its a pre-release stress beta. Don't get me wrong in that I don't enjoy it. It's fun! However after playing 10-15 hours worth I'm burned out of pub play and the balance issues that pop up big time in Marksman heavy pub play.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

hemale in pain posted:

so is battlelog finally dead? please tell me their not gonna put it in for release

Apparently Battlelog uses plug-ins that won't be supported in the near future (or aren't right now?) and I guess this is impossible to fix so BF1 will have an in-game system yes.

Battlelog is good though.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

Apparently Battlelog uses plug-ins that won't be supported in the near future (or aren't right now?) and I guess this is impossible to fix so BF1 will have an in-game system yes.

Battlelog is good though.

Battlelog is now called the Battlefield Companion and it's the same thing with less detail and no server browser.
https://www.battlefield.com/career

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

afkmacro posted:

Battlelog is now called the Battlefield Companion and it's the same thing with less detail and no server browser.
https://www.battlefield.com/career

Pretty much I think maybe 3 will still use it. I know bf4 and maybe Hardline(lol) will be launchable from inside bf1.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
a realistic re-enactment of air combat, circa 1915:
https://fat.gfycat.com/ColorlessMarvelousDikkops.webm

battlefield hasn't changed that much from BF1942:
https://zippy.gfycat.com/CourageousPastelBat.webm

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

RIP to the squadmate who kamikazi divebombed his attack fighter into the tank sitting in the center of B a few seconds after I gave the order to take that poo poo.

The British Empire thanks you for your service, xXxGhost_BluntzxXx, you will be missed.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Watching Jackfrags' tank video, I think a majority of the problems with the light tanks is pubbies. He's literally playing suicidal, trying to get killed, but you'll see assault guys shooting him with SMGs or hugging the tank. People are respawning over and over and not switching to light AT grenades. Recons don't use K-bullets. Pubbies just literally run out into the open over and over right into his sights in a way he says is like playing with bots. No joke, one guy tries to bayonet him.

And they wonder why professional game developers don't listen to "feedback from The Very Dissatisfied Community."

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Plan Z posted:

Watching Jackfrags' tank video, I think a majority of the problems with the light tanks is pubbies. He's literally playing suicidal, trying to get killed, but you'll see assault guys shooting him with SMGs or hugging the tank. People are respawning over and over and not switching to light AT grenades. Recons don't use K-bullets. Pubbies just literally run out into the open over and over right into his sights in a way he says is like playing with bots. No joke, one guy tries to bayonet him.
How come when I play tank I get instantly blown up by 4 assaults packing AT launchers, meanwhile my team just sits there and somehow doesn't have AT launchers (I also don't have it unlocked) and lets tank run rampant forever? :argh:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I played a Rush match where snipers were using K-bullets like crazy to whammy my tank on the very last point. It still didn't help them much because they were always in the same buildings sniping me so I could just dump 20mm rounds into there and kill them that way. I only died when they had less than 10 tickets left and by that point my team had utterly swarmed the sole remaining objective.

Then the next round on defense they managed to destroy all our tanks while keeping theirs alive but never pushed the objective with their tanks or really left the hills at all.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I loving love this game. I did this last night during my 17 minute flamethrower rampage

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Good game, gonna buy.

Det_no posted:

Being a ginormous scrub that always loses 1v1 firefights, this felt amazing.

https://webmshare.com/play/D3rZj

ps how do I embed webm

For gently caress's sake man! TAC RELOAD!

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Plan Z posted:

And they wonder why professional game developers don't listen to "feedback from The Very Dissatisfied Community."

Even when I play recklessly with the Light Tank and the AT weapons come out, it's like a tank version of the Little Bird; it's not hard to get out of a bad situation unless you just drove right into the middle of a big fight. Pretty much the only time the tank is in danger is when you can't figure out what's killing you, because sometimes the projectiles don't draw(or something similar?) That seems to be a thing that happens and I'm pretty sure it's unintentional.

Also it's kinda dumb imo if the Light-AT grenades were a factor in how they balanced the vehicles-- if they expected everyone in the immediate vicinity to start lobbing grenades at the light tank, and that was factored into its durability.

Non vehicle talk: I might be crazy, but I feel like either prone doesn't correlate to where the player is very well, and some form of head-glitching is in this game. There's been a few times where someone was prone down in a crater and had no trouble shooting at me despite giving me nothing to shoot, and I've been killed by snipers where i couldn't see anything but the tip-top of their head. Also the pistol and sniper rifle animations seem to involve some profile shooting stances which give you less to hit and feels like they give you less to shoot, and it occasionally seems like this gives them a pretty big advantage in peeking because only a small portion of their model pokes out and only for only a moment.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

If they nerf light tanks, they will get hosed into oblivion once the game goes live and the community is more concentrated with veteran BF players.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The only times I've been killed in the light tank that wasn't by another tank that snuck up on me was when there were recons who were using their K-bullets when I was out in the middle of the desert trying to repair. Wasn't the K-bullets that killed me though but attack planes/bombers that forced me to repair in the first place circling around and getting me again.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Gotta be honest, I can't wait to see what weapons the windmills have.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

The only times I've been killed in the light tank that wasn't by another tank that snuck up on me was when there were recons who were using their K-bullets when I was out in the middle of the desert trying to repair. Wasn't the K-bullets that killed me though but attack planes/bombers that forced me to repair in the first place circling around and getting me again.

That's exactly how K bullets should be used imo. Repair interruption. Except in the case of armored cars where a couple of snipers can very quickly destroy it.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

So I played with some nice goons the other night asking for flying tips. I couldn't really do it since I'm on push-to-talk and fly with a controller. Here are a few, I guess if anyone wants to get into it (most of these apply to the fighter. The bomber's kind of poo on this map):

-Don't always bank turn. It's alright for some instances, but more of than not you'll miss your target or lose altitude, resulting in less time to line up a shot. The best is to do an Immelman-style maneuver to turn around for a ground attack. To start, it's easier to line up. If you're doing a bank turn, you most likely won't know what angle or distance you'll be approaching your target. An Immelman helps because it means you'll be turning around to the zone directly behind you, and you'll be approaching it from high in the air, giving you extra time to find targets and line up shots. As for doing it, make sure your target is behind you, then gun the speed for a few seconds, then pull up. When you're pointing straight up, pull your speed all the way down. All of this will make sure you get the distance from your target and not lose that distance. Then simply roll level. Your target should be below you at the angle you want with plenty of time to spot and shoot.

-Let some targets go. If you think you can't hit that tank on this run, it's better to do that Immelman and give yourself a better chance rather than burying your plane against the ground on the first try.

-Whipping around like a weirdo worked in War Thunder, but not here. The planes are too clunky and the movements don't jerk hard enough. It makes an even easier target when I'm one someone's six. If you're in a fighter, gun your speed, start a turn, and then pull back on speed. Pubs will usually lose track of you. I then try to pull away to somewhere deserted because they'll be too distracted by the idea of a nearby ground target or other plane to try to look for you. This works about 95% of the time. Getting distance after losing them is important because you can go by sound to track planes you can't see.

-In the fighter-bomber, try to make sure your front's clear with decent good altitude. Then do a quick repair if you can, a quick diagonal-dive to move to below and to the side so they have to adjust a bit to get a shot on you. Then level out a bit, switch seats, and hold down fire. When you're switching seats in the fighter-bomber, you can fire the gun during the switch animation, so you can pump some blindfire that regularly hits the guy on your tail. Likewise, you can start a repair while switching back to the front seat. Just go for hits rather than specific shots. I think it takes like twenty shots to kill a fighter this way, maybe less to disable him, so you don't want to be missing. If you're in the seat, I tend not to shoot unless people are close. It means I can get of that killing burst without overheating, and it usually means they're sitting still and presenting a heavy target. If I have a good gunner while I'm piloting, I tend to just kill my speed to catch the enemy off guard, and force them close for an easier shot.

-The fighter plane's stuff is mostly all useful. I'm not sure what dogfighter does, but I went 12-0 including non-credited kills for shooting down all other planes one match with it, so it must be something good. It looks like it poops out blinding flares? I don't know. The Trench attack sharts out what seem like a ton of mini-explosives that are useless when you're high up, but can kill when you're close to the ground. With those, I tend to aim for stuff like sniper sitting rooftops or enemies running up the town roads, wherever it'd be more concentrated. I rarely use the bombsight with it. I've also used it to poop on planes I'm flying over. The rocket loadout is good. It takes a lot of practice to get used to the dropoff on them though so it's good be attacking from a steep angle with them to avoid the horizontal drop-off as much as possible.

-The fighter-bomber's Tank Hunter is the most useful by far in terms of utility, and I don't think I need to say why. Quick tip though, if you're trying to shoot down a plane with the cannon, never aim for wings. You'll pretty much always miss. Hitting the chassis may seem harder, but it seems much more forgiving than even those gigantic wing targets. Otherwise, its ground support is kind of crappy, and its rockets are the same as the fighter's, but you get two more of them.

-Don't fly the bomber unless you have some smart teammates. Even then, it's kind of lovely because pubbies will exclusively ram you and pull you to the ground. Its crap turning means it's mostly useful against targets in wide open spaces but also condensed in some areas, so like C and parts of D I guess. You can try to go for E, but what's the point if you could tearing up poo poo in the Tank Hunter? Don't Immelman in this thing. It can barely pull off the loop in the best of circumstances, and it gives everyone on the map about twenty minutes to hit the biggest target ever. Also, don't try to turn unless you're pretty much off the map, and don't even think about flying this if you think there's going to be an AA gun in use.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 6, 2016

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

rap music posted:

If they nerf light tanks, they will get hosed into oblivion once the game goes live and the community is more concentrated with veteran BF players.

In a lot of ways it's a better version IFV from BF4 right now. the IFV was good, but suffered from the MBT being incredibly effective even when solo and also being a hard counter to it. Now there's not really an analogue for the MBT in terms of solo effectiveness, there's not a lot of anti-vehicle gadgets that are easy to use effectively(nothing like the LAW, at least), and the Light Tank has a smaller footprint than the IFV. I don't think that the Light Tank is going to go completely out of favor for anything else if its nerfed, because it's still going to be the solo vehicle that's hard to hit and see and catch, but maybe it won't be as tough and having as much firepower when you do.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The Heavy tank in the beta is also pretty hosed because the whole loadout not working correctly due to the bug. Having one vehicle whose loadout is decided by passengers instead of drivers is a weird one

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

The Heavy tank in the beta is also pretty hosed because the whole loadout not working correctly due to the bug. Having one vehicle whose loadout is decided by passengers instead of drivers is a weird one

It's probably a bug. Plus only passenger weapon is effected. The driver still has the same gun and secondary skill which is the most important.

What's with locational damage in BF1? It seems hitting a tank in the side or rear at most does 50% extra damage. I also can't consistently do critical hit except taking out the heavy tank's side weapon. I guess they want tanks to have more survivibility up close instead of fighting at lomg range?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Plan Z posted:

-Don't fly the bomber unless you have some smart teammates. Even then, it's kind of lovely because pubbies will exclusively ram you and pull you to the ground. Its crap turning means it's mostly useful against targets in wide open spaces but also condensed in some areas, so like C and parts of D I guess. You can try to go for E, but what's the point if you could tearing up poo poo in the Tank Hunter? Don't Immelman in this thing. It can barely pull off the loop in the best of circumstances, and it gives everyone on the map about twenty minutes to hit the biggest target ever. Also, don't try to turn unless you're pretty much off the map, and don't even think about flying this if you think there's going to be an AA gun in use.

I have Immelmann looped in the bomber multiple times before. But I grant you there won't be many opportunities to do that after the beta...

Everyone should read The Red Baron's autobiography as he literally wrote the book on aerial combat. God I'm so glad turn-fighting isn't really a thing in this game.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

BTW trip mines own no matter what you do but the wire that extends from the explosive always springs out in the direction that you're looking, rather than to the closest wall which is what people seem to think.

It's a little easier to hide your explosives with that in mind. No longer will you have to put your trip mines right in the middle of the doorway/stairway (though this never really stopped people from running into them)!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Had an enemy climb on top of my landship somehow and just surf it for a while while I killed all his friends, then a friendly cavalry jumped over my tank and roadkilled him. Game owns.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They should just enable clinging on to vehicles, both friendly and enemy.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I think the thing I'm pissed most about is that they finally have gotten rid of jihad jeeps since dynamite doesn't stick (assuming there isn't some form of sticky dynamite in the game, natch)

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I got about 40 kills in one life (I think) on the front gun of the bomber, while I was testing Shadowplay. Don't know why it isn't 1440p or 60fps which I captured it in. Gun feels weird but good though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxoT8LJXnaU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Plan Z posted:

The problem is that they don't have continuous play testing during development so you end up with dubious design/mechanics at release.

Party Plane Jones posted:

I think the thing I'm pissed most about is that they finally have gotten rid of jihad jeeps since dynamite doesn't stick (assuming there isn't some form of sticky dynamite in the game, natch)
It also makes it stupid hard to kill moving vehicles

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

BTW trip mines own no matter what you do but the wire that extends from the explosive always springs out in the direction that you're looking, rather than to the closest wall which is what people seem to think.

It's a little easier to hide your explosives with that in mind. No longer will you have to put your trip mines right in the middle of the doorway/stairway (though this never really stopped people from running into them)!

Could you explain how trip mines work and ideally placing them with that in mind?

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

New Concept Hole posted:

Non vehicle talk: I might be crazy, but I feel like either prone doesn't correlate to where the player is very well, and some form of head-glitching is in this game. There's been a few times where someone was prone down in a crater and had no trouble shooting at me despite giving me nothing to shoot, and I've been killed by snipers where i couldn't see anything but the tip-top of their head. Also the pistol and sniper rifle animations seem to involve some profile shooting stances which give you less to hit and feels like they give you less to shoot, and it occasionally seems like this gives them a pretty big advantage in peeking because only a small portion of their model pokes out and only for only a moment.

Yeah it definitely feels like head glitching is back. DICE Sweden has thrown out most of the improvements DICE LA made for BF4, like the headglitching fix, squad leader idle demotion just the top of my head.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I got about 40 kills in one life (I think) on the front gun of the bomber, while I was testing Shadowplay. Don't know why it isn't 1440p or 60fps which I captured it in. Gun feels weird but good though:

I hate you. Every time I try to rock my Artillery Truck my team shits the bed on air power and a fat bastard starts orbiting the area. That front gun fucks my day up. :(

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Rolling Scissors posted:

Yeah it definitely feels like head glitching is back. DICE Sweden has thrown out most of the improvements DICE LA made for BF4, like the headglitching fix, squad leader idle demotion just the top of my head.
Hahaha what pricks

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

New Concept Hole posted:

I don't think that the Light Tank is going to go completely out of favor for anything else if its nerfed, because it's still going to be the solo vehicle that's hard to hit and see and catch, but maybe it won't be as tough and having as much firepower when you do.

The fast repair cycle is what so annoying. I tried to kill a light tank driving around the desert as the attack plane tank buster cannon variant, and I couldn't get damage in fast enough between the passes, like 15 hits on him and he would always repair the damage from the last attack as there was nobody else attacking him. I tried to tighten my circles but then I would miss and he would get a free repair and the cycle would continue. Finally I got him disabled but collided with a friendly on the last pass and missed my shot, and then he escaped to the ridges at F.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

The 1914 Version of the AC-130.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Xaris posted:

Could you explain how trip mines work and ideally placing them with that in mind?

Since it seems like opening a wired door can trigger even your own mines, that seems like a good way to set a trap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
BF1 incredibly unbalanced. In the meantime I get great enjoyment playing the "give me a loving horse so I can be the guy who gets 10 kills with a sword in a gunfight" metagame

Rolling Scissors posted:

The fast repair cycle is what so annoying. I tried to kill a light tank driving around the desert as the attack plane tank buster cannon variant, and I couldn't get damage in fast enough between the passes, like 15 hits on him and he would always repair the damage from the last attack as there was nobody else attacking him. I tried to tighten my circles but then I would miss and he would get a free repair and the cycle would continue. Finally I got him disabled but collided with a friendly on the last pass and missed my shot, and then he escaped to the ridges at F.

as a tanker even I thought that poo poo was wrong