Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Check out the list of schools where you can transfer your ITT Tech degree and try not to laugh! https://www.itt-tech.edu/articulation/

tl;dr: they are all schools that advertise on Spike TV at 2 am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah but didn't you guys just lose a huge Boeing factory/contract not too long ago?

We lost the whole drat Boeing presence. Spirit started out as a parts contractor for Boeing iirc and is doing pretty well now though as their own company. Unfortunately I feel like that's not going to be the first company to leave thanks to Brownback. Textron recently bought Hawker Beechcraft and owns Cessna, though, so they seem pretty well entrenched. NIAR is also located in Kansas so hopefully Brownback's actions can be reversed quickly enough to bring things back to where they were. It's really not as bad of a place as people seem to think, but it's getting worse.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Supposedly "The Arts Institute", another school ITT Tech owns, doesn't pay their teachers minimum wage lol.
I hope they go under next

The name of the company at the head of these schools? "Education Management Corporation" :911:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I read that article in the NY Times Magazine a year ago about how hosed up Kansas's state government is. The most jarring part was at the end, where one of the hard-right people in the state legislator was demonizing people who wouldn't vote for a tax increase. No, you're not reading that wrong. He was so adamant to keep the state university system afloat that he had to vouch for the one thing that's supposedly haram among Republicans. Of course, tax increases don't count as such if they fall disproportionately on the lower classes. Grover Norquist even conceded as much when he declared that letting the payroll tax cut expire a couple years back wasn't actually a tax increase.

The weird thing about a deep-red state like Kansas is that there's a rich history of moderate politics on the state level, but Brownshirt went and hosed that up with his Red State Plan. Any time a political figure comes up with excuses that austerity policies will do things like attract business, point to Kansas as a way of saying that their only consistent political ideal is spite.

Moridin920 posted:

It's a case of startups/VCs exploiting a gambling law loophole to rake in poo poo tons of money from rubes and to operate outside of gambling regulations and protections.

Frankly I'm amazed they are still operating but I guess if you have enough cash you can lobby anything to death.

e: quick google seems to suggest that lobbying and advertising costs are wrecking their bottom line recently though
Now I'm wondering how much cash they blew to get reclassified in New York. They may have won the battle here, but in a couple of years it's likely that they'll have lost the war.

Soon the only awful recurring commercials that will be running during NFL games are the Ford truck commercials that look like a local commercial but have Denis Leary as a voice.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Krispy Kareem posted:

The best part is they almost got legislated out of existence because one of their employees won big with inside information. As prevalent as they are now, they were EVERYWHERE before that happened.

How he didn't end up dumped in a lake I don't know.

When that story broke it came out that basically all the employees of Draft Kings used their insider information to gamble on Fan Duel and vice versa. Also some huge majority of the winners were professional gamblers with math degrees and outside backers, people playing hundreds of games at a time and just devouring the rubes. It reminded me of how Ashley Madison turned out to have literally zero real female account holders. It was just gullible men and bots as far as the eye could see.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

cuck cuck im gay posted:

Supposedly "The Arts Institute", another school ITT Tech owns, doesn't pay their teachers minimum wage lol.
I hope they go under next

The name of the company at the head of these schools? "Education Management Corporation" :911:

They're based in Pittsburgh and are known to be shady as hell to work for.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

I read that article in the NY Times Magazine a year ago about how hosed up Kansas's state government is. The most jarring part was at the end, where one of the hard-right people in the state legislator was demonizing people who wouldn't vote for a tax increase. No, you're not reading that wrong. He was so adamant to keep the state university system afloat that he had to vouch for the one thing that's supposedly haram among Republicans. Of course, tax increases don't count as such if they fall disproportionately on the lower classes. Grover Norquist even conceded as much when he declared that letting the payroll tax cut expire a couple years back wasn't actually a tax increase.

The weird thing about a deep-red state like Kansas is that there's a rich history of moderate politics on the state level, but Brownshirt went and hosed that up with his Red State Plan. Any time a political figure comes up with excuses that austerity policies will do things like attract business, point to Kansas as a way of saying that their only consistent political ideal is spite.

My favorite part about the Kansas situation is that Brownback hosed the state so badly that he had to raise sales tax. So literally every person in the entire state now has higher taxes so the Koch Bros can lower their taxes.

I believe he has the lowest approval rating of any current governor last time I checked.

Similarly this can now fit this thread, the waterslide where the kid got decapitated; the owner/designer of the slide said he chose Kansas because of their lack of regulations. Also things he said: the ride failed many times but we finally got it to not fail so now it's only dangerous scary. Also the designer of the slide literally dropped out of high school.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

cuck cuck im gay posted:

My favorite part about the Kansas situation is that Brownback hosed the state so badly that he had to raise sales tax. So literally every person in the entire state now had their taxes raised.

I believe he has the lowest approval rating of any current governor last time I checked.

Similarly this can now fit this thread, the waterslide where the kid got decapitated; the owner/designer of the slide said he chose Kansas because of their lack of regulations. Also things he said: the ride failed many times but we finally got it to not fail so now it's only dangerous scary. Also the designer of the slide literally dropped out of high school.

And the father of the unfortunate kid was a politician who lobbied to make Kansas that unregulated terror zone in the first place.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cuck cuck im gay posted:

My favorite part about the Kansas situation is that Brownback hosed the state so badly that he had to raise sales tax. So literally every person in the entire state now has higher taxes so the Koch Bros can lower their taxes.

how does this not make people there howling mad

like holy poo poo

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Here is ITT tech's full response. It's so loving funny, I highly recommend everybody read it. Especially about their cries that it was "unconstitutional" like they're freemen on the land

http://www.ittesi.com/2016-09-06-ITT-Educational-Services-Inc-to-Cease-Operations-at-all-ITT-Technical-Institutes-Following-Federal-Actions

The "unconstitutional" part is at the very end. It's great. Read the whole thing.

edit: if you are so lazy, please just read this part: "We believe the government's action was inappropriate and unconstitutional, however, with the ITT Technical Institutes ceasing operations, it will now likely rest on other parties to understand these reprehensible actions and to take action to attempt to prevent this from happening again.""

They even link to a Wall Street Journal that criticizes Obama for wanting to shut down for-profit colleges :lol:

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

And the father of the unfortunate kid was a politician who lobbied to make Kansas that unregulated terror zone in the first place.

I think he also fought for tort reform too meaning now the most he's going to get for having his kid killed is $250,000 in compensation

Moridin920 posted:

like holy poo poo

It should, since I would imagine they are supposedly against higher taxes. Don't forget though that a decent opponent went up against Brownback but he lost, and I swear this is true, because the people of Kansas found out he visited a strip club in his early 20s.

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/yael-t-abouhalkah/article2201213.html

Honestly Kansas deserves what they are getting.

jenny jones fan has a new favorite as of 21:46 on Sep 6, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cuck cuck im gay posted:

Seems like it. I wouldn't care so much but you know other states are going to have to bail them out of their death spiral at some point.

anyway I'ma do a thing here where I juxtapose ITT's response with some info because why not it might be funny

ITT posted:

For more than half a century, ITT Tech has helped hundreds of thousands of non-traditional and underserved students improve their lives through career-focused technical education. Thousands of employers have relied on our institutions for skilled workers in high-demand fields. We have been a mainstay in more than 130 communities that we served nationwide, as well as an engine of economic activity and a positive innovator in the higher-education sector.

quote:

According to leaked internal documents called the "Pain Funnel" and "Pain Puzzle," recruiters are instructed to attack a prospective student's pain, guilt, and anxiety.

First, confront them with the ugly truth — i.e., they'll always be poor. Once they admit that life sucks, ITT personnel offer the life jacket... of enrolling at ITT.

In 2012, a former recruiter described the tactic while testifying before a U.S. Senate committee: "Bring a prospect to their inner child, an emotional place intended to have the prospect say, 'Yes, I will enroll.'"

White remembers the funnel well. "That's exactly what they did to me. The minute I hesitated about enrolling, the deeper they went. The way they put it, if I didn't enroll right now, I was going to work fast food my entire life."

quote:

"I never looked at going to any other school," she says. "You're rushed through the financial aid like you don't even know what the hell is going on. They throw these videos in your face and you have two people saying how they've been successful. The guy on the phone, he's doing really well after graduating from ITT. The school looks good, it's clean, and the computers look state-of-the-art. It's all impressive."

ITT posted:

This federal action will also disrupt the lives of thousands of hardworking ITT Tech employees and their families. More than 8,000 ITT Tech employees are now without a job – employees who exhibited the utmost dedication in serving our students.

quote:

Morris studied part-time, graduating in 2010 with a degree in information systems administration. It wasn't long before he realized ITT's promised land was a dead zone. The school's work placement center amounted to little more than online job sites available to anyone.

"That was the extent of the career center," says Morris. "I never got as much as an interview."

ITT posted:

Alternatives that we strongly believe would have better served students, employees, and taxpayers were rejected. The damage done to our students and employees, as well as to our shareholders and the American taxpayers, is irrevocable.

quote:

In 2006, ITT was forced to settle a lawsuit brought by the state of California. Company employees had revealed a scam in which ITT inflated grades to qualify for more state education dollars.

Five years later, a U.S. Senate report exposed how ITT was spending all that government money. For every $6,100 pocketed in profits, the company was spending just $2,800 on actual education.

9 out of every 10 students were taking out loans. Half would drop out, the majority within three months. And nearly three out of 10 ITT students were defaulting on their loans.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

bongwizzard posted:

Is electronic music more popular now then in recent history? I assume that it is way easier to make the stuff then it was in like the 90's (when us cool kids recorded poo poo on a 4 track that used cassette tapes) but like, I never really hear it out and around.
Electronic music is pretty big because of Face Djs (like Deadmaus, Steve Aoki, David Guetta) and because Music Festivals are a trendy thing for young people to dress up for. There's tons of EDCish festivals around, and the EDM "sound" has filtered down to popular music much in the way that most of the pop songs in the early 90s had that one R&B/Rap interlude section, and how early 00s songs had an angry white guy shouting in the background and a hard metal sound.

As an example, here's some Billboard Top Songs for 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a59gmGkq_pw&t=46s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31crA53Dgu0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY2yjAdbvdQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_kF4zLNKio

Lots of chiptuney samples, sweeps, bass drops, digital manipulation of voice with filters and whatnot. It's kind of like a more teen/tween oriented Moby
Electronica, like what The Prodigy produced, lost its alt-rock baggage. Techo/Trance I think is still around. Oakenfold ran A State of Trance for a while as a sample of new music, but I'm not sure if it's still being produced.

quote:

Radio in general is weird, other then one college station, every "rock" station around here plays like 80% the same stuff they played when I was in highschool like 20 years ago. I assume the 20% I don't recognize is newer music but it still sounds like numetal or alt-rock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV0wTtiJygY
"Rock" lost its way after the 2000 saviours (The White Stripes, The Strokes, The Vines and a host of other "The" bands) kind of fizzled out. They don't have a Cobain or a Nirvana to drive adoption/mimicry of sound. There was a funky folk-rock resurgence a few years back that led to poo poo like Mumford and Sons, but a lot of the field is Remember the 90s.mp3, which is logical since the 15 year olds that rocked out to Pablo Honey and Mellon Collie are old enough to have those sweet nostalgia pangs. And since they're asking for a Back in the Day Replay of RHCP, there's not a big space for upcoming bands to be heard, meaning the stations won't take a risk and play a sweet track from this band from England or wherever.

Moridin920 posted:

Idk but I can tell you most DJing is done by robot/remote now. I think maybe the morning chat shows are still legit but otherwise a lot of radio is def just a playlist with some pre-recorded voice phrases like it is Radio New Vegas.
The old concept of a DJ actually, like, curating a playlist and poo poo is done. There was a late-night guy on KLOS Classic Rock in LA that used to actually create a themed playlist (was it Jim Ladd?) with an experimental night where the tracks blended together and whatever. They got rid of him around 2010 and as far as I can tell they now have an iPod folder with "rock" set to random play because Nirvana, Incubus and The Eagles totally belong together.

Everything's station-approved/mandated way beforehand now.

Morning Zoo shows might be realtime, but it's almost guaranteed the bits they do have been pre-recorded or edited somehow. Rick Dees used to have a morning show in the 90s, and he was loving notorious for running the show on autopilot via spliced together bits. Like, to the point contest winners would talk to the intern running the phones only, then an hour later they would listen to their "live" interaction with the host kind of thing.

I'm pretty sure my mother has a CD somewhere with the Casey Casem Top 40 of the week of X/X/199x, with the printed date on there like a week before the airdate.

FilthyImp has a new favorite as of 22:27 on Sep 6, 2016

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

No one named Cathy/Kathy has ever had anything of merit to say.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i love the whining about due process

it's delicious

quote:

Earlier in the month, a group that accredits ITT found that the chain failed to meet several basic standards and was unlikely to comply in the future.

lol they're such fuckfaces

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

There's lots of good rock music out there these days, but it's not being played on the radio. Like much of American society after Reagan, the radio station industry is controlled by a few large companies, namely Clear Channel. There's less risk in playing Top 40, and when one company controls most or all of the music stations in a given area, you'll hear the phenomenon of changing from one station to another and hearing the same Taylor Swift song that you wanted to avoid. On the other hand, there are hardly any big-money rock bands out there, so there are no dedicated rock stations out there, or at least none that don't play the same nu-metal/"alternative" rock that they've played for the last 15 years or so.

It's a matter of knowing where to look. Just like a lot of promises made about the internet, though, the one about how it's a forum where small musicians can thrive turned out to be a lie. If anything, apps like Spotify and Apple Music have made it even harder for small-time musicians to make a buck, since they pay pennies as compensation for getting streamed. An established act like Portishead got paid 4 digits for being streamed millions of times on streaming music sites, so somebody like my friend's band getting 4,000 streams for one song on Spotify will net you a lot less.

Moridin920 posted:

like holy poo poo
I know it's hard to believe, but Republicans aren't actually dead set against every single tax, just the ones that prevent government tax setups from looking like a medieval society. When you raise the state sales tax or another regressive tax, they say it's "broadening the tax base" and that people who don't pay income tax "need to have skin in the game." The latter phrase is used so much that it's fun to imagine Republicans as cannibals. When you phrase it as a way shaming poor people like the current GOP does, people will happily accept it because they're just so close to being the next Koch brother.

get that OUT of my face has a new favorite as of 22:31 on Sep 6, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Henry Ford: "Pay your workers enough so that they can afford to buy your poo poo"

Modern day Kansas: "hahahahaah gently caress everyone haha gently caress it fuckckkkkkk gently caress MORE TAXES HAHAHAHA WE'LL BE RICH ONE DAY TOO"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Moridin920 posted:

Henry Ford: "Pay your workers enough so that they can afford to buy your poo poo"

When I worked retail they got around this by providing an employee discount.
I wonder what the employee discount is from an aircraft manufacturer

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

When that story broke it came out that basically all the employees of Draft Kings used their insider information to gamble on Fan Duel and vice versa. Also some huge majority of the winners were professional gamblers with math degrees and outside backers, people playing hundreds of games at a time and just devouring the rubes. It reminded me of how Ashley Madison turned out to have literally zero real female account holders. It was just gullible men and bots as far as the eye could see.

Lol what? Is there a story on that Ashley Madison thing because :laffo:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Wamdoodle posted:

yes there was a giant leak user dump leak like last year that revealed it was like all fake

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

Electronic music is pretty big because of Face Djs (like Deadmaus, Steve Aoki, David Guetta) and because Music Festivals are a trendy thing for young people to dress up for. There's tons of EDCish festivals around, and the EDM "sound" has filtered down to popular music much in the way that most of the pop songs in the early 90s had that one R&B/Rap interlude section, and how early 00s songs had an angry white guy shouting in the background and a hard metal sound.

As an example, here's some Billboard Top Songs for 2016

Lots of chiptuney samples, sweeps, bass drops, digital manipulation of voice with filters and whatnot. It's kind of like a more teen/tween oriented Moby
Electronica, like what The Prodigy produced, lost its alt-rock baggage. Techo/Trance I think is still around. Oakenfold ran A State of Trance for a while as a sample of new music, but I'm not sure if it's still being produced.

I would not have IDed any of that stuff as "electronic". I was thinking poo poo like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdZs5PVcwBs

The stuff you linked sounds like "pop-dance" music has always sounded to me, like this older stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Uu3kCEEc98
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3ov9USxVxY
Which every gay club played non-stop for like a year. I remember being a smug little poo poo about these old ladies trying to make "our" music. I thought you mean like house music was huge again somehow.

FilthyImp posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV0wTtiJygY
"Rock" lost its way after the 2000 saviours (The White Stripes, The Strokes, The Vines and a host of other "The" bands) kind of fizzled out. They don't have a Cobain or a Nirvana to drive adoption/mimicry of sound. There was a funky folk-rock resurgence a few years back that led to poo poo like Mumford and Sons, but a lot of the field is Remember the 90s.mp3, which is logical since the 15 year olds that rocked out to Pablo Honey and Mellon Collie are old enough to have those sweet nostalgia pangs. And since they're asking for a Back in the Day Replay of RHCP, there's not a big space for upcoming bands to be heard, meaning the stations won't take a risk and play a sweet track from this band from England or wherever.

Well, if they are still playing the music of my youth, I believe that does make me still hip :smugbert:

Oddly, now I am super into stoner rock that was produced in the 90's when I was listening to rave music and european guys running an angle grinder through an amp.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

We have a lot of those for-profit college headquartered here in the Orlando area...I can't tell you how many times I've driven by those in the last year to find they have been totally shut down because they were basically a Ponzi scheme

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I don't think the idea of ITT is that bad. Just horribly executed. Like it would be really cool if it was good and cutting edge,think about a curriculum on a subject being the same nationwide, that's kinda cool. Tech seems like a good candidate for tradeschools, they just never seem to hit any kind of prestige. Not sure if that's the market or Big Education meddling, or if they've all just been lovely.

darkhand has a new favorite as of 23:34 on Sep 6, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's not bad, it's a brilliant idea. I can't even really fault Bush for allowing federal funding to go to schools that are online only (previously they had to be at least 50% on campus classes iirc) - maybe he did it a bit too early I guess is the worst you could really say...

But in execution it was a total scammy clusterfuck that barely graduated anyone, placed almost no one in a job, preyed on the most vulnerable (as scams do), and resulted in poo poo tons of people unable to pay off massive student loans which in the end means the taxpayer loses.

If online schools had more regulation and more rigorous accreditation that would be one thing but hey why do that when you can fleece a bunch of people. That kinda ties into the issue of online schools aren't taken seriously but that can change if they are serious institutions and not just fancy loan sharks.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

We have a lot of those for-profit college headquartered here in the Orlando area...I can't tell you how many times I've driven by those in the last year to find they have been totally shut down because they were basically a Ponzi scheme
It's not exaggeration to call them Ponzi schemes. Their "admissions" departments aren't like those in traditional colleges and universities, they're more like recruitment departments. People that work in them are judged by how many people they sucker in to signing up for their worthless classes.

If you live in an area with decent community colleges, there's no reason to go to a for-profit college. Besides ITT, Corinthian Colleges went under a year or two ago, so we may see far fewer of these education viruses in a few years.

Moridin920 posted:

Modern day Kansas: "hahahahaah gently caress everyone haha gently caress it fuckckkkkkk gently caress MORE TAXES HAHAHAHA WE'LL BE RICH ONE DAY TOO"
Let's not romanticize Henry Ford, he was union-busting scum. At least he's better than Kansas and much of the Republican Party because they don't want unions or decent wages paid to people.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Y-Hat posted:

Let's not romanticize Henry Ford, he was union-busting scum. At least he's better than Kansas and much of the Republican Party because they don't want unions or decent wages paid to people.

I know but it's like, even that dude knew there was a limit.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Wamdoodle posted:

http://gizmodo.com/almost-none-of-the-women-in-the-ashley-madison-database-1725558944

quote:

What I discovered was that the world of Ashley Madison was a far more dystopian place than anyone had realized. This isn’t a debauched wonderland of men cheating on their wives. It isn’t even a sadscape of 31 million men competing to attract those 5.5 million women in the database. Instead, it’s like a science fictional future where every woman on Earth is dead, and some Dilbert-like engineer has replaced them with badly-designed robots.

31.3 million accounts tagged as male, 5.5 million tagged as female, but even with that huge gender disparity only about 12k female accounts could even plausibly be real, and only about 1400 female accounts ever checked their messages. What makes it even funnier is Ashley Madison sold premium memberships that guaranteed a hookup, so after their bots strung a man along enough and extracted money from him for their pay-to-message scheme, they'd simply buy him an escort.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So Clear Channel now owns an industry that is completely irrelevant, partly because it's now controlled by one company.

Y-Hat posted:

Let's not romanticize Henry Ford, he was union-busting scum.

Sounds like something a Jew would say.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

http://gizmodo.com/almost-none-of-the-women-in-the-ashley-madison-database-1725558944

31.3 million accounts tagged as male, 5.5 million tagged as female, but even with that huge gender disparity only about 12k female accounts could even plausibly be real, and only about 1400 female accounts ever checked their messages. What makes it even funnier is Ashley Madison sold premium memberships that guaranteed a hookup, so after their bots strung a man along enough and extracted money from him for their pay-to-message scheme, they'd simply buy him an escort.

I thought they sent a refund cheque with ashley madison on it?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

cuck cuck im gay posted:

It should, since I would imagine they are supposedly against higher taxes. Don't forget though that a decent opponent went up against Brownback but he lost, and I swear this is true, because the people of Kansas found out he visited a strip club in his early 20s.

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/yael-t-abouhalkah/article2201213.html

I hate to be all :tinfoil: but Davis was ahead until the last 30 (or less) minutes of voting. I'm not going to say it was election fraud but it sure felt like it. There's a woman who was attempting to gain access to voting records to investigate but was blocked by Kris Kobach, the same piece of poo poo who is trying to prevent disadvantaged people from voting.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lol did they seriously order them an escort?!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jastiger posted:

Lol did they seriously order them an escort?!

Digging up the articles again I didn't find hard proof, but it seems likely.

quote:

Mr. Falcon pointed out that there’s actually a special bot service, called “RunChatBotXmppGuarentee.service.php,” apparently designed just for interactions with customers who paid the premium $250 for a “guaranteed affair.” When I checked the code, I found Mr. Falcon was right. It appears that this bot would chat up the man, urge him to pay credits, and then pass him along to what’s called an “affiliate.” Likely the affiliate is a third party that provides a real person for the man to chat with. It might also be connecting him to an escort service.

http://gizmodo.com/ashley-madison-code-shows-more-women-and-more-bots-1727613924

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The only thing the Ashley Madison hack accomplished was getting people that live in Middle Eastern theocracies in a lot of trouble. Good job, assholes.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Well it also brought us some fresh Duggar family comedy.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Brazzers got hacked lol

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Brazzers got hacked lol

Titties everywhere !

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I thought they sent a refund cheque with ashley madison on it?

To even qualify for a refund was complicated, you had to send X number of messages per day and be online X hours per week. It's like when AOL had those '1,000 hours free' disks, but the 'free' hours had a 2 week limit so that you'd need to be online 23.4 hours a day to use it all.

To add to education chat, when Rutgers decided to become a football powerhouse it was a scandal top to bottom. They took out short term commercial loans to pay for the stadium, akin to payday loans; increased enrollment without expanding housing, leading to having to lease out like 2 floors of a hotel for incoming freshmen; cancelled a bunch of olympic athletics programs that were self-sustaining and had been at the school for more than a hundred years, which in turn put them in violation of Title IX. They tried to have a booster fundraiser to pay for the 'recruitment lounge', which no one donated to, the coach threw a shitfit and made the university president buy one anyway, for the price of 16.5 million dollars. Plus, canceling or reducing classes, firing expensive tenured professors, and building football-player-only training and fitness facilities while the regular students' facilities crumble. The university president, having been bounced out of UW for loving his secretary, was bounced out of Rutgers for loving his secretary again (he had married the UW secretary after divorcing his first wife), and forcing the athletic director to fall on his sword for the $102 million stadium expansion fiasco.

But hey, we did get invited to the Monroe Shock Absorbers Bowl, so I guess it was worth it after all :thumbsup:

I think they're trying to do the same for the basketball team now.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Chuck E. Cheese.

I feel like the mouse is due to cave in a few more years.

Unvaccinated kids, super germs, terrible pizza, also there are no good arcade games anymore.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Jastiger posted:

This was in the South. A union rep for one of the big manufacturers was being interviewed on why they relocated from Alabama to Canada and he said that the workers in the South didn't understand the instructions at first. So they switched to pictograms and the workers were STILL requiring a ton of extra training because they still weren't literate and couldn't grasp the concepts.

Relocated to Canada, paid more in taxes, and it was worth it because I guess the Canadian workers could read.

That is such a massive load of bullshit, and it really shows your bigotry to be pushing that " hurr southerns are retarded" stereotype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Johnny Aztec posted:

That is such a massive load of bullshit, and it really shows your bigotry to be pushing that " hurr southerns are retarded" stereotype.

Volkswagen pushed to unionize workers at their Nashville plant, so the state of Tennessee threatened to take away their state tax credits if they did.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/02/11/tennessee-volkswagen-uaw-incentives-threat/5388341/

Literally a thing that happened.