Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
2U is something worth considering and we shouldn't let it get lost in the shuffle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
1. A. - Only El is perfect in his wisdom, but these discoveries will come to our world whether we want them to or not.

2. H - We should hammer this out before people start to get the itch to talk among themselves.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Basscop posted:

1E: We share only with the ones that we truly do trust. And before they learn it's secrets they will go to the temple of El and swear secrecy. We possibly incorporate some of the silly lies that Adina proposed.

+1 to this and a vote for H.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
1.C
2. S

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

C. Only one is perfect in his wisdom, but I have always voted for done what I thought was best.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

+1. I just came to post exactly this

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
1.C
2.S

Cornuto fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 7, 2016

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

TacoNight posted:

It powered up from eating all the souls of its own troops and the Tannach folks

I think it planned on not revealing itself unless necessary. It held back until we had pretty much beaten the initial onslaught. Then it revealed itself when the watcher got involved.

a cat irl
Feb 13, 2010
1. C, "Only El is perfect in his wisdom"
2. H

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Unless I'm misrembering, Uriah's father is not as blooded as Uriah himself. The general trend is that each generation is less blooded than the last.

Is Uriah unique in this regard or are there other Zepathan men exhibiting more bloodedness than their fathers?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
CS

Also:

quote:

Adina speaks next, saying "My King. I have often stayed behind when my brothers went to campaign and it is I who have shown those ways of forging to our brothers-" a scowl from Samson and several others present, this is a taboo that both you and Adina broke "-and though many now know of this, not one has let it slip. Others will covet iron. It is strong. It is sharp. They will desire it greatly. They are fools. Will such dim witted simpletons who know only war and wine uncover its secrets? None here would ever would them and if they think they will break into our forges? We will let slip fantastical secrets about how the stuff is made involving the blood of demons, the skins of manticores and the rarest jewels. Let the law be that any who tries to sell the secret be punished by death, then in secret and for exorbitant prices let our "treacherous sons" betray their fathers secrets with lies, selling fantastical frauds instead. Let them puzzle over that. They will never find the secrets of irons."

Haha.

Diog, how do Adina and Ashael get along? I suspect they've been hanging out a bit if we didn't tell him to say this.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:
C,Q

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Olothreutes posted:

Samson: Both copper and tin are rough metals, but when worked become reasonable. What do you think grants noble bronze (not the blooded stuff, just the regular stuff) its superior qualities to copper or tin?

For Diog: Do smiths ever work or try to make blooded copper or tin? Can we try? For that matter, is there a blooded version of any metal that isn't bronze? Can we try to make blooded electrum?

Diog: Did we get a chance to ask Samson why bronze is better than just copper or tin?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

C. Only El is certain, but I believe this is the right course. When it gets out to the Donut it's going to be really bad. And it is a matter of "when" rather than "if" - low-probability events stack up over the centuries, and even if the secret never leaks, sooner or later someone's going to steal a few crates of weapons. But I don't think we have a choice - without more military power, we're not going to get the chance to worry about the long term because the demons will destroy us within the next two jubilees. Also, H.

(When it does get out, we're going to have to conquer half the Donut, aren't we?)

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
1.E Eat ALL of these authoritarian, conservative idiots to GAIN THEIR POWER AND EAT THE DEMONS AND THE HEATHENS AND THE ANGELS AND THE GODS AND BECAUSE THE RULER OF THE WORLD BY EATING THE WORLD

2.R- I like Indor :downs:

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

pumpinglemma posted:

C. Only El is certain, but I believe this is the right course. When it gets out to the Donut it's going to be really bad. And it is a matter of "when" rather than "if" - low-probability events stack up over the centuries, and even if the secret never leaks, sooner or later someone's going to steal a few crates of weapons. But I don't think we have a choice - without more military power, we're not going to get the chance to worry about the long term because the demons will destroy us within the next two jubilees. Also, H.

(When it does get out, we're going to have to conquer half the Donut, aren't we?)

There's the very real chance that we could simply make up a name to call this new metal and no one in the donut would think to check if it is iron. They don't know it can be made into anything useful, so if you don't tell them it's iron they might never find out. Call it black bronze, a secret of the black dude in Kavodel. We probably never would have tried working with iron if it weren't for the giants calling their forge the house of iron.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 7, 2016

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

a cat irl posted:

1. C, "Only El is perfect in his wisdom"
2. H

this

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Olothreutes posted:

There's the very real chance that we could simply make up a name to call this new metal and no one in the donut would think to check if it is iron. They don't know it can be made into anything useful, so if you don't tell them it's iron they might never find out. Call it black bronze, a secret of the black dude in Kavodel.
Within a decade or two, someone's going to notice that we've put up an iron mining outpost and start wondering why. Misdirections like black bronze and spreading rumours about how the Great Cannibal Of Kavodel uses iron as seasoning will probably work for a little while, but they won't work forever. Especially if we start forging enough iron to outfit all the non-blooded men in Zepath.

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

Olothreutes posted:

There's the very real chance that we could simply make up a name to call this new metal and no one in the donut would think to check if it is iron. They don't know it can be made into anything useful, so if you don't tell them it's iron they might never find out. Call it black bronze, a secret of the black dude in Kavodel. We probably never would have tried working with iron if it weren't for the giants calling their forge the house of iron.

I like the idea of calling it some other name to diminish the association with the source materials, but I fear someone will eventually notice that the people of Kavodel spend quite a bit of time mining that useless mineral Iron...

We should still give it a code name though. Might buy a bit of time.

Doing H ahead of dealing with the temple might provide us with an extra option in dealing with the heretics. Everyone voting to deal with the heretics right now should take that into consideration.

C "Only one is perfect in His Knowledge. And in His Wisdom."
H

AbysmalPeptoBismol fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 7, 2016

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

pumpinglemma posted:

Within a decade or two, someone's going to notice that we've put up an iron mining outpost and start wondering why. Misdirections like black bronze and spreading rumours about how the Great Cannibal Of Kavodel uses iron as seasoning will probably work for a little while, but they won't work forever. Especially if we start forging enough iron to outfit all the non-blooded men in Zepath.

Will they, though? Kavodel and Zepath are where people spend any time or pass through. Zepath is just as it always has been, and Kavodel is a silver mine. Do any of the foreigners go to Erits Badil? If we set up another semi-permanent mining camp I don't think anyone will have any reason to go there that isn't a miner. Yeah, people will talk, the miners will mention they mine iron, but unless someone is really prying they will probably assume the mine is small. I mean, it must be, right? It isn't a permanent thing.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer
I can't believe that I finally get to vote.

I clicked on the banner ad a while ago, but I read from the start of the thread instead of the recap. It's going to be hard waiting for updates after reading through three years of story.

1. C
2. S

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Boonoo posted:

I can't believe that I finally get to vote.

I clicked on the banner ad a while ago, but I read from the start of the thread instead of the recap. It's going to be hard waiting for updates after reading through three years of story.

1. C
2. S

Start drinking now. It's the only thing that helps.

Esper
Nov 23, 2004
Killed a baboon, once.
1. D We keep assuming that we know better than everyone else in this world. Consider this for a second : Maybe we don't. Perhaps Iron expands the power of a foreign god who owns the practice. Perhaps it simply invites too much violence into the heart of men. One of the most important edicts is do not destroy, not "do not destroy, but if you must destroy be sure to plant some trees". Think also about the political cost this will bring about us: How much is this going to turn the church, the mighty men, and other countries against us?

Don't do it.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Don't really know about what to do with iron. I miss Indor though.
2. R

Klingtron
Sep 10, 2011

pumpinglemma posted:

This is why we should set up an art school.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
C. "Only one is perfect in His wisdom"
S.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

C
H

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Suggestion: Come up with a different name for Iron to throw anybody who wants to replicate it off the scent.

We tried to make the stuff for years and got nowhere until we heard the forge in gebeb called the house of iron, and we're way smarter than some douche king from the doughnut.

Call the stuff Snarlsium or Naomium and spread a rumour that it's mostly made of silver. Considering we own a silver mine, silver prices going up would be no bad thing either.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

jazzyhattrick posted:

Suggestion: Come up with a different name for Iron to throw anybody who wants to replicate it off the scent.

We tried to make the stuff for years and got nowhere until we heard the forge in gebeb called the house of iron, and we're way smarter than some douche king from the doughnut.

Call the stuff Snarlsium or Naomium and spread a rumour that it's mostly made of silver. Considering we own a silver mine, silver prices going up would be no bad thing either.

I think Black Bronze would be the easiest. And sure, say it's an alloy of bronze and silver. Something like that.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Esper posted:

1. D We keep assuming that we know better than everyone else in this world. Consider this for a second : Maybe we don't. Perhaps Iron expands the power of a foreign god who owns the practice. Perhaps it simply invites too much violence into the heart of men. One of the most important edicts is do not destroy, not "do not destroy, but if you must destroy be sure to plant some trees". Think also about the political cost this will bring about us: How much is this going to turn the church, the mighty men, and other countries against us?

Don't do it.

Of the people in this room, we, Ishamal and Tudiya are the only people who know the scale and co-ordination of the demon attacks, which is the only reason most people in the thread support forging iron despite the risks. If we were expanding the power of a foreign god in a way likely to imminently endanger all of Ur then Ishamal would have known, and wouldn't have viewed it purely as a matter of war - he'd have warned us the same way he did about bnaimokt metal. Do not destroy isn't about smashing things, it's about annihiliation through magical or divine forces. And if there's one thing the last few updates have made quite clear, it's that we have plenty of political capital to spend right now with pretty much everyone except Samson - we shouldn't waste it, but this is genuinely important.

Olothreutes posted:

I think Black Bronze would be the easiest. And sure, say it's an alloy of bronze and silver. Something like that.

Also, backing this.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Olothreutes posted:

Whatever the goon hivemind decides, but from now on it is of vital importance that nobody ever refers to it as Iron.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
1 C 2 Q

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I like the idea of making it mostly of silver to drive the prices of silver up, but embellish further by saying "made of silver, tin and ash of demon flesh" so Donut idiots use up precious tin and reduce their own bronze production in trying to make war.

DON'T NAME IT AFTER OUR WIVES THOUGH. Call it Argentum instead.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

And if they manage to kill a demon or two, that's a bonus!

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

TK-42-1 posted:

I think it planned on not revealing itself unless necessary. It held back until we had pretty much beaten the initial onslaught. Then it revealed itself when the watcher got involved.

So theoretically, at least against a lesser demon, the fodder fight does matter. Better equipped commoners means fewer dead commoners which means slightly weaker soul eaters.

1. A

Samson is right about everything he said, but none of that will matter if humanity is dead or enslaved.

2. H

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FaustianQ posted:

I like the idea of making it mostly of silver to drive the prices of silver up, but embellish further by saying "made of silver, tin and ash of demon flesh" so Donut idiots use up precious tin and reduce their own bronze production in trying to make war.

DON'T NAME IT AFTER OUR WIVES THOUGH. Call it Argentum instead.

What about Shaquillium, to continue our trend of naming things after basketball players.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
1) C. Not certain, because only El is sure, but we should do it anyway.
2) H. We....probably should have a talk.

Don't call it iron. Call it Samsonite.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hellsau posted:

1) C. Not certain, because only El is sure, but we should do it anyway.
2) H. We....probably should have a talk.

:master:

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Black Bronze. Made with the venom of the Mamba.

e:

Hellsau posted:

poo poo this is WAY better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Holy poo poo, Adina. You beautiful devious bastard.

1. C - Simple fact of the matter is that there are very good points for Yes and No. Hell, Samson drat near converted me against it. But, the fact is: If common men need to fight, let it be with the best they we can give them. And since we can't mass produce Blooded Bronze, then Iron is the next best thing.

2. R