Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I can't remember who said it as a guest on a podcast (might have been James Andrew Miller on Simmons), but they said that FS1 shouldn't be aiming to be the next ESPN, they should be aiming to be the next ESPN2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

FuzzySkinner posted:

Part of me wonders if FS1/Fox's goal isn't so much to become a rival to ESPN, but to get them into a bidding war over various properties and bankrupt them.

As long as ESPN gets Disney money, no way Fox could bankrupt them now or in the near future.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Niwrad posted:

I can't remember who said it as a guest on a podcast (might have been James Andrew Miller on Simmons), but they said that FS1 shouldn't be aiming to be the next ESPN, they should be aiming to be the next ESPN2.

Well, they just made their own First Take, so they might be on that path!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

They do this sometimes. But they do it to highlight a game and the networks don't want a bunch of other games going on at the same time. Also I think there's some tradition thing going on here, like owners aren't in favor of too many games that aren't at noon for whatever dumb reason.

It'll matter less now with the Rams moving to LA, but there should absolutely be a rule that all divisional games in the A/NFC West start at 4:15.

e: Noon central, duh. 1 Eastern.

I was thinking perhaps they automatically group the AFC/NFC West teams along with the Cowboys (I know. I'm a hypocrite) and Texans into one group of ten could work.

Perhaps adding the Vikings, Packers, Saints, Titans, Bears, and Colts could also help even things out. Leave the 1 PM EST start times exclusively for teams in the Eastern Time zone. (In an ideal world, the Jaguars would be in San Antonio and the Colts being in the other half, but for now that's going to have to be what it is).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:dance: It's back! http://www.tonykornheisershow.com/

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Niwrad posted:

That sounds right. The fact ESPN is a constant default channel at bars and such out of habit doesn't help Fox.

Also the deal with 4:25 games is that they can rate higher than the Sunday Night game, they know what they're doing.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/773518246368649222

lol

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

There was a really heartwarming interview last night between Holly Rowe and Minnesota Lynx head coach Charyl Reeve.

Holly is pro as hell for keeping at it while she's going through all these cancer treatments.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

This makes me very happy

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
So I can understand that people might hatewatch Skip Bayless but do people actually like him on TV?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Bip Roberts posted:

So I can understand that people might hatewatch Skip Bayless but do people actually like him on TV?

My theory is people just have ESPN/ESPN2 on as background noise during those hours because there's nothing else on or something.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

FuzzySkinner posted:

My theory is people just have ESPN/ESPN2 on as background noise during those hours because there's nothing else on or something.
QUICK!
Gun to your head!
In 2.5 seconds what channel is FS1 on your cable box?

TOO LATE!

MacGRUBER!

Here wherein lies the main problem with FS1.
There's probably old souls still trying to find Versus or OLN not knowing NBCSN took over eons ago.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 8, 2016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Robnoxious posted:

QUICK!
Gun to your head!

I survived.

College football is a cruel mistress. I can also rattle off CBSSN off the top of my head.

e: Which means I am willing to watch some really bad college football and/or basketball.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

I survived.

College football is a cruel mistress. I can also rattle off CBSSN off the top of my head.

e: Which means I am willing to watch some really bad college football and/or basketball.

Same. I moved away two years ago and don't have cable but I remember the sports channels on my parents' box.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

FuzzySkinner posted:

Pretty much. For me, it's El Rey Network on work from home days since they just show a lot of old horror/action movies that range from awesome to hilariously terrible.

e: So at what point does Horowitz get shitcanned by Fox? They're paying him a load of money as well as the talent he's bringing in and the money they're spending is really better off being lit on fire at this point.

Akileese fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 8, 2016

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

The Pac-12 Networks are now available on Sling

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/pac-12-networks-sling-tv-1201854639/

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Akileese posted:

Pretty much. For me, it's El Rey Network on work from home days since they just show a lot of old horror/action movies that range from awesome to hilariously terrible.

e: So at what point does Horowitz get shitcanned by Fox? They're paying him a load of money as well as the talent he's bringing in and the money they're spending is really better off being lit on fire at this point.

Well, who would replace Horowitz? Who do you get to make FS1 get more viewers?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Robnoxious posted:

QUICK!
Gun to your head!

TOO LATE!

MacGRUBER!

Here wherein lies the main problem with FS1.
There's probably old souls still trying to find Versus or OLN not knowing NBCSN took over eons ago.

To be fair, I don't know what number any channel is any more. I just have my favorites list.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

It's only a couple of days in, but Horowitz should be sweating

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/774247520419454976

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Robnoxious posted:

QUICK!
Gun to your head!

I stopped memorizing channel #s since I got an X1 box.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Goddamn, I was sure it'd fall off a bit once the "morbid curiosity" factor vanished, but that's hilarious

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I'm still amazed at how dumb FS1 was to hire Skip for that much money. I wish I could stomach being a blowhard for a few hours a day to make that sort of cash.

I think FS1 fell into a classic trap of just looking at the numbers and not trying to understand where they were really coming from, which is just casual viewers just leaving the TV on ESPN practically all day long.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

I'm still amazed at how dumb FS1 was to hire Skip for that much money. I wish I could stomach being a blowhard for a few hours a day to make that sort of cash.

I think FS1 fell into a classic trap of just looking at the numbers and not trying to understand where they were really coming from, which is just casual viewers just leaving the TV on ESPN practically all day long.

Steve Levy and Barry Melrose echoed your point pretty well the other day when the topic of NHL coverage came up.

quote:

“How can you be a big-time sport in the states and not be on ESPN? I think that’s the part that’s tough for a lot of people to understand,” Levy said. “I can tell you the players themselves get frustrated. They’re on the road, in hotels, and they can’t watch their own games, they can’t watch action from around the league. Some of the people that have the (NBC Sports Network) channel, they don’t know what number it is. It just seems very different than ESPN where you know exactly where you’re going at all times.”

Now, this has gotten better – a lot better, actually – over the years. NBCSN has plenty of basic cable clearance and availability in hotel rooms. Levy’s point is a fair one, but “how can you be a big-time sport in the states and not be on ESPN” is a bit much. (More on that in a bit.)

Barry Melrose, Levy’s long-time partner on ESPN, made the more salient point, I think:

“When you walk into a bar, you walk into a restaurant, you walk into any place in the United States or basically the world, ESPN’s on,” former NHL coach and current ESPN analyst Barry Melrose said. “We still have that over any other sports network in the world: the fact that we’re on just about everywhere all the time.”

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

CaptainYesterday posted:

Well, who would replace Horowitz? Who do you get to make FS1 get more viewers?

No idea, but at this point he's spent a kingly sum of cash to try and turn that network into hot take central and has approximately gently caress all to show for it.

E: Also, w/r/t the numbers of ESPN/FS1/NBCSN, I believe NBC's numbers are steady rising each quarter. This is mostly down to the fact that they're not trying to be ESPN lite, but rather an alternative for different sports like F1, Soccer, etc. On top of all that, NBC Live Extra is the best. If you watch the Premier League, literally every game is streamed live regardless of whether or not it's on an NBC network.

Akileese fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 9, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NFL viewership is starting to decrease among women.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I don't know what I'd do if my cable provider didn't number all the sports channels together. Is this really a problem where people can't find channels?

For reference, TWC puts the sports channels from 300-450, with ESPN being 300 and FS1 being 400. It's impossible to forget those two and their '2's, which are one number up each.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Comcast (or at least Comcast where I live) tends to throw networks wily-nily across the dial as they add them. My channel listings are a complete mess.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah, Comcast just throws poo poo wherever. They have ESPN/2 on 31/32, NBCSN on 34 (where OLN used to be), the local ROOT affiliate on 30. All the stuff you can get on the basic package.

Then it jumps to the 400s for FS1/BTN/NFLN/NBATV/MLBN, plus SECN, ESPNU, ESPNews and all the random channels you get with the sports package that nobody watches. If you're a Spanish-speaking viewer, you have to dig through the 600s and 700s to find the Deportes spinoffs.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Benne posted:

Yeah, Comcast just throws poo poo wherever. They have ESPN/2 on 31/32, NBCSN on 34 (where OLN used to be), the local ROOT affiliate on 30. All the stuff you can get on the basic package.

Then it jumps to the 400s for FS1/BTN/NFLN/NBATV/MLBN, plus SECN, ESPNU, ESPNews and all the random channels you get with the sports package that nobody watches. If you're a Spanish-speaking viewer, you have to dig through the 600s and 700s to find the Deportes spinoffs.

Unlike the others, Comcast and its affiliates don't seem to have their channel list standardized. For me, ESPN and the deuce have been 34 & 35 forever, and NBC Sports 37 for about a decade, but stuff like NFL, NBA, and NHL Networks, and the other ESPN offshoots, are in the 720-750 range, with MLB Network being 279 for some reason, all of those have been moved about six or seven years ago (NFL Network went from 180 to 736, for example). Plus, the HD sports channels are scattered in threes and fours all over the 390 to 480 range, with all sorts of poo poo in between.

However, I go about five miles north, and all the channels are totally different, cause they get Comcast through some local company. And if I go further north into West Palm Beach, the HD stays mostly the same but standard channels are a third, totally different set.

But really, the Barry Melrose comment is pretty spot on. Go into almost any restaurant with TVs, or a place with a waiting room, and ESPN/2 are as likely to be on as anything else.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Before the NFL season starts, let's all take a few minutes to rip on the shitfests none as the CBS/FOX Pregame shows.

http://deadspin.com/5678805/the-chuckling-idiots-of-nfl-pregame-shows-a-video-compilation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMW5p9B0VHU

The Deadspin piece is definitely pro click.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

CaptainYesterday posted:

I don't know what I'd do if my cable provider didn't number all the sports channels together. Is this really a problem where people can't find channels?
Honestly, I think that's part of the point of having channel tiers. If you're on cable or satellite, things like Spanish-language channels, foreign channels, religious channels, sport channels, and news channels are each given their own group of numbers so you don't have to try to memorize everything. It's a lot easier if you on something like DirectTV and all you have to do is think "all of the sports channels are in the 600's" than it used to be in the earlier days of cable where channels were given numbers seemingly at random.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2016&wk=1

I don't mean to sperg out, but this is kinda what I was getting at in regards to how the NFL fucks up it's scheduling.

There's 12 games between 2 time slots. Yet, there's 9 at 1:00, and 3 at 4:30. The two games on Fox are Cowboys-Giants, and Lions-Colts during that timeslot. I live in Cleveland, Ohio. That is 2 and a 1/2 hours from Detroit, and 5 hours from Indianapolis.

Yet, I will be seeing some lovely NFC East football for whatever reason. ("Because it's the Cowboys! America's team!) It's just amazingly idiotic and seems to be stuck in the 1970's or some poo poo. College Football has this down to a science. Games from 12 PM to as late as 1 AM because of how they're able to divide games up.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 11, 2016

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2016&wk=1

I don't mean to sperg out, but this is kinda what I was getting at in regards to how the NFL fucks up it's scheduling.

There's 12 games between 2 time slots. Yet, there's 9 at 1:00, and 3 at 4:30. The two games on Fox are Cowboys-Giants, and Lions-Colts during that timeslot. I live in Cleveland, Ohio. That is 2 and a 1/2 hours from Detroit, and 5 hours from Indianapolis.

Yet, I will be seeing some lovely NFC East football for whatever reason. ("Because it's the Cowboys! America's team!) It's just amazingly idiotic and seems to be stuck in the 1970's or some poo poo. College Football has this down to a science. Games from 12 PM to as late as 1 AM because of how they're able to divide games up.

There's been a pretty common complaint recently that west coast teams shouldn't have to play in the 10 AM slot when they travel to the east coast and that seems like it'd be a really trivial adjustment to make but the NFL isn't interested so it seems like they value having a thin 1 PM (4 Eastern) schedule. I guess to maximize available viewership for America's Game of the Week starring America's Team The Dallas Cowboys

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Dutchy posted:

There's been a pretty common complaint recently that west coast teams shouldn't have to play in the 10 AM slot when they travel to the east coast and that seems like it'd be a really trivial adjustment to make but the NFL isn't interested so it seems like they value having a thin 1 PM (4 Eastern) schedule. I guess to maximize available viewership for America's Game of the Week starring America's Team The Dallas Cowboys

Well and I asked my buddy on twitter who lives in San Diego and he commented on the same thing.

I got curious on how it would look this week

1:OO PM Games
Cincinnati Bengals V. New York Jets
Cleveland Browns V. Philadelphia Eagles
Buffalo Bills V. Baltimore Ravens
Green Bay Packers V. Jacksonville Jaguars
Tampa Bay Buccaneers V. Atlanta Falcons
Detroit Lions V. Indianapolis Colts

4:15 Games
Minnesota Vikings V. Tennessee Titans
New York Giants V. Dallas Cowboys
Chicago Bears V. Houston Texans
Oakland Raiders V. New Orleans Saints
San Diego Chargers V. Kansas City Chiefs
Miami Dolphins V. Seattle Seahawks

See that's a good mix of games, and if you're watching RedZone? It blends extremely well. Plus it increases the odds that there will be a good game to watch during one of those time slots.

But the NFL just seems to want to treat the Cowboys like they're Notre Dame or something.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I agree, the second half of Red Zone is kind of a bummer when you've watched three hours of nonsense and then you're just alternating drives between whichever major market team has been deemed game of the week and Jaguars-Raiders

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FuzzySkinner posted:

See that's a good mix of games, and if you're watching RedZone? It blends extremely well. Plus it increases the odds that there will be a good game to watch during one of those time slots.

I'm the type of consumer that the NFL would get some more money out of if they did something like that. I focus on my own team that usually plays the early game while they're on, if the games were actually evenly split I would probably spring for red zone and watch it during the other time slot. It feels like a waste when it's only a few games though.

I guess there aren't enough me's out there though.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dutchy posted:

West Coast teams have been complaining about having to play those eastern road games at 10:00 AM local time for years and years and collectively the response from NFL HQ has been, "You are hereby invited to lick my balls."

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I'll be watching Red Zone today for Colts plays, but yeah, lovely TV scheduling I'm sure helps boost Sunday Ticket sales for the die-hards.

e: after midnight lol

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

I'm the type of consumer that the NFL would get some more money out of if they did something like that. I focus on my own team that usually plays the early game while they're on, if the games were actually evenly split I would probably spring for red zone and watch it during the other time slot. It feels like a waste when it's only a few games though.

I guess there aren't enough me's out there though.

Hell I'm watching PAC 12 Football right now and it's 2 AM EST. Seriously, that's awesome.

You'd think with the amount of gambling and fantasy that makes the NFL the de facto most popular league in the country that they would be embracing this. The whole "America's team" concept doesn't really work any more. Especially in the age of NFL Sunday Ticket, Redzone, DraftKings/Fanduels and fantasy football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

In light of FanDuel and Draftkings getting a proverbial smackdown from the Feds, is there any chance RedZone will go back to being sponsored by a lovely American car company again?

I'd rather hear about the Chevy Volt than another fantasy game site I give even less shits about than the Chevy Volt.