Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If anything, learning his mum murdered a dude may have just made Steven even less okay with murdering dudes or using weapons created for the express purpose of murdering dudes better.

that or it will awake a dormant murder-lust and SU will throw a curveball at us in that 'Corporeal punishment is ok sometimes'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

TwoPair posted:

I don't think learning your parent wasn't a saint automatically changes your entire worldview. Like, "Hey, Bismuth, I found out my mom did shatter a gem and therefore I have reversed my entire stance regarding the sanctity of life, let's waste some motherfuckers"

Also: she tried to kill him, and if he let's her out she'll probably try to do it again.

In fact, if she finds out Rose was such a hypocrite she would probably want to kill him even more.

I don't think Steven should be the one to try and solve the whole Bismuth situation, maybe one of the other gems should give it a try. Like Garnet, Garnet is pretty good at conflict resolution and hasn't been the focus of an episode that's not about fusion for a while. Let's have Garnet talk to Bismuth.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

that or it will awake a dormant murder-lust and SU will throw a curveball at us in that 'Corporeal punishment is ok sometimes'

Well, Rose is the best character and so if she murdered someone i'm sure the act must be at least ok.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Today's Steven Universe moral is: Yes, it's okay to kill Hitler.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Like they'll find a gem who is immune to bubbling and it just keeps traumatically poofing the cast, looming over their gems all threateningly than at the very end Steven will be like 'ENOUGH' and captain America it into shards and stare down crying over his reflection in the fragments and Garnet will stand next to him and pat him on the shoulder and be like 'its ok, its over now' and than that night steven will have to throw away his batman doll.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I mean if you don't think the CGs are gonna shatter a gem eventually then idk what to say

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Philip Rivers posted:

I mean if you don't think the CGs are gonna shatter a gem eventually then idk what to say

They'll probably softball it, like they'll have a redemption episode or two for bismuth but it turns out she'll wind up shattering the monster of the week for conveniance and it'll be like "back to time out the bubble dungeon with you till you can learn to stop murdering murderer"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Philip Rivers posted:

I don't think they will.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I kind of expect Bismuth would be willing to talk if he let her out.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale

Bongo Bill posted:

Yeah, I took her last statement about Rose and him being different to her admitting that maybe the outcome can be different next time they meet. I actually wouldn't be surprised if it's this season, and then she just kinda disappears into her forge, showing up every once in a while for an episode or two. Kinda taking the Lapis stance from the opposite angle, a Crystal Gem who decides to take a leave of absence to make sense of things and figure out stuff.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bongo Bill posted:

Are gems aware of time passing while poofed and bubbled? Peridot came out mid-sentence, iirc; if that's the case than Bismuth hasn't exactly had time to cool down and maybe revise her stance

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

TwoPair posted:

I don't think learning your parent wasn't a saint automatically changes your entire worldview. Like, "Hey, Bismuth, I found out my mom did shatter a gem and therefore I have reversed my entire stance regarding the sanctity of life, let's waste some motherfuckers"
Coming this fall: Todd McFarlane's Steven Universe. Or would it be Garth Ennis' Steven Universe?

Dear god... Rob Liefeld's Steven Universe... :gonk:

Motherfucker posted:

Corporeal punishment is OK, but not spectral punishment. gently caress ghosts.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

RandomPauI posted:

Okay, I'm testing the waters here. Are people willing to entertain the idea that Steven's development is stunted because he moved in with the Gems?

From a couple pages ago, but if you mean physically (ie Steven's Birthday) I don't think that timing lines up, since Steven's been living with the gems for longer than he's been looking the same. (Unless something in the show contradicts the extended opening on this.) So he's probably just either a late bloomer or, being half-gem, ages more slowly than normal humans.

(Emotionally? He's still vastly more mature than, say, Ronaldo or Lars. Intellectually? It's still not clear why he couldn't just go to school, at least before he started regularly going on missions. You can't tell me Pearl wouldn't love back-to-school shopping and saying "buh-bye! love you!" while Amethyst shapeshifts into a bus.)

thatbastardken posted:

number one reason Bismuth is in the wrong: shattering a gem doesn't destroy the consciousness, merely reduces it to tormented fragments. the death sentence is only a practicality when the hypothetical criminal isn't actually immortal.

these "no-nonsense" solutions of your just don't hold water in a complex world of gem-powered machines and warp travel.

This is a good reference and you should feel good.

Also on the level of practicality, I feel like the breaking point just wasn't a very good weapon because you had to strike in a specific spot unique to each gem, which probably makes for some awkward maneuvering in combat. It's definitely not as good as Rose's sword (or the gem destabilizer, which was basically the same thing come to think of it), since if you can poof a gem in a single strike it's easier to do that (since it requires a lot less precision) and then just shatter the now-defenseless gem. Hell, that's basically what Bismuth did to Lapis, even if it was some other gem who cracked her.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Are gems aware of time passing while poofed and bubbled? Peridot came out mid-sentence, iirc; if that's the case than Bismuth hasn't exactly had time to cool down and maybe revise her stance

It didn't seem like it. Bismuth had no idea how much time had passed when she came out of her bubble, and he expected everything to still be the same.

In the midst of rebellion and war against home world.

Bismuth did kind of rub me the wrong way because of that, you have a soldier, ready to go to war, tell her that the opposing forces are still after them. (When, really it's a handful of bumble gently caress Rubies, A Turn-coat Peridot and Jasper who's off doing her own thing, and now obsessed with forbidden fusion.) It's not exactly quite the same, as facing down massive armies in a rebellion for your lives, and the lives of a living world, Bismuth kind of understandably went to the worst case scenario. She didn't get to have the growth and adventures the Gem's had in the multi-thousands of years chillin' out with no problems.

It just felt like they could have mentioned, "Hey.. yeah.. Home World's still like, showing up, and whatever, but no real invasions, or attempts to set up a new Kindergarten?"

Honestly, with Bis does get out, I hope they show her the Cluster and Gem Mutants, "This is why we need to find another way."

I'm also interested in Bis, because she seems like an Artisan, beyond just being a sword builder, she crafted Rose's sword and it was pretty darn intricate. I think she'd be able to make some great Meep Morps with Peri and Lapis. Or go off and make amazing things because she wants to, instead of having a war, or home world dictating it.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Carrasco posted:

From a couple pages ago, but if you mean physically (ie Steven's Birthday) I don't think that timing lines up, since Steven's been living with the gems for longer than he's been looking the same. (Unless something in the show contradicts the extended opening on this.) So he's probably just either a late bloomer or, being half-gem, ages more slowly than normal humans.

(Emotionally? He's still vastly more mature than, say, Ronaldo or Lars. Intellectually? It's still not clear why he couldn't just go to school, at least before he started regularly going on missions. You can't tell me Pearl wouldn't love back-to-school shopping and saying "buh-bye! love you!" while Amethyst shapeshifts into a bus.)

I don't think that steven is shown as being badly treated by the gems and the few people who have brought it up have always seemed like they're reaching

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Greg is my favorite human too, although Connie is a close second.

My favorite Beach City townies are Onion and Jamie.

I think I might be the only one in this thread who liked Gem Glow.

Naw man.

Cookie cat, he's a pet for your tummy.

Cookie cat, he's super duper yummy.

Cookie cat, he left his family behind!!!

Tupperwarez posted:

They're going to poof Yellow Diamond, only to have her gem sprout horrible spider legs and skitter away. "You gotta be KIDDING me!" shouts Steven as everyone recoils in horror.

"You've got to be KIDDINGKITTEN me!"

LemonLimeTime posted:

Stupid nerd pipe dreams: Shirley Manson voicing a new fusion. Annie Lennox voicing a Diamond.

That would be glorious please make this happen Becky S.

Little_wh0re posted:

I don't think that steven is shown as being badly treated by the gems and the few people who have brought it up have always seemed like they're reaching

I think Steven and the Gems are in a really difficult situation with regards to Steven, and they sometimes make mistakes. I don't think that amounts to abuse, and I think it's actually pretty close to what most families I know are like. He knows he's loved which is better than some.

A large part of the problem is that Steven (at the start) has no control over his powers, no idea what they are and no idea when they might manifest. Imagine if his shield had gone spinning about the room in class and smashed someone's face in? And that's the one the CGs would know about. They're doing the best they can in a rough situation.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Tupperwarez posted:

They're going to poof Yellow Diamond, only to have her gem sprout horrible spider legs and skitter away. "You gotta be KIDDING me!" shouts Steven as everyone recoils in horror.

Pearl: "Steven, we've all been through a very rough time today, but if you don't mind I'd rather not spend the rest of eternity TIED TO THIS GOSH-DARN COUCH!"

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Everyone seemed to talk about Rose killing Pink Diamond as a necessity due to, idk, space feudalism or something? There's a lot about the situation that's unclear.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
speculating but PD probably wasn't amenable to a negotiated settlement.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Pink Diamond ate the last cookie and didn't tell anyone.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pink Diamond was The Boss and then Rose became Big Boss.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Augus posted:

Pink Diamond was The Boss and then Rose became Big Boss.

I like this theory, but only because that makes Steven Solid Snake. I guess Connie is Raiden in this scenario then?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

thatbastardken posted:

speculating but PD probably wasn't amenable to a negotiated settlement.

This is general to all of the diamonds imo but they made a point of saying "because Earth was her colony." Coupled with the fact that it doesn't seem like any other diamond stepped in to take a particularly active role in Earth (other than YD tending to a little long-term science experiment), it makes it seem like there's a very personal proprietary system of control.

Also v. good foreshadowing here, I noticed before the reveal that for any of the four-diamond symbols they came across in the world, PD's was shattered.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

GunnerJ posted:

Everyone seemed to talk about Rose killing Pink Diamond as a necessity due to, idk, space feudalism or something? There's a lot about the situation that's unclear.

A lot about the situation is unclear which is why fans keep thinking Pearl did it.

Protip: Pearl did not.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Kwyndig posted:

I like this theory, but only because that makes Steven Solid Snake. I guess Connie is Raiden in this scenario then?

People liked it when Connie showed up though.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

GunnerJ posted:

This is general to all of the diamonds imo but they made a point of saying "because Earth was her colony." Coupled with the fact that it doesn't seem like any other diamond stepped in to take a particularly active role in Earth (other than YD tending to a little long-term science experiment), it makes it seem like there's a very personal proprietary system of control.

Also v. good foreshadowing here, I noticed before the reveal that for any of the four-diamond symbols they came across in the world, PD's was shattered.

and if you look at the new homeworld stuff, PD's missing completely :eng101:

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Kwyndig posted:

Ronaldo: Steven had a hard life. He needs some time to rest.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
Here's a couple of (real) spoiler screenshots

Bad Pearl confirmed. Pearl starting to move on from Rose maaayybe confirmed??

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Kwyndig posted:

Lion is Ocelot, he's a triple double traitor agent who's helping the gems because he's serving the diamonds because he loves Steven, all because he's enacting Rose's true will.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Kwyndig posted:

"Pearl... turn off my pain inhibitors!"

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Flying-PCP posted:

Pearl starting to move on from Rose maaayybe confirmed??

Pearl made her put on the wig

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Can't wait for the episode where cyborg Connie fights one of the gem Senators that replaced the now deposed Diamond Authority, with the assistance of Bladelion.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Flying-PCP posted:

I hope she starts moving on from Rose. I was rewatching Sworn to the Sword and, jesus, Birdmom is the most broken mom.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Floodkiller posted:

Can't wait for the episode where cyborg Connie fights one of the gem Senators that replaced the now deposed Diamond Authority, with the assistance of Bladelion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWsn0bBJMsQ

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

With all the training going on I'm expecting a lot more action scenes in the upcoming seasons. They'll have to balance it out with crying though.

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

Tupperwarez posted:

Dear god... Rob Liefeld's Steven Universe... :gonk:

Stevonnie goes from bare feet to no feet

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the new crystal gem Liefeldspar only lasts for a single episode before her head gets exploded

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Flying-PCP posted:

Move on? It looks like the opposite to me. Pearl's found herself a NEW Rose. Because that's totally healthy and is guaranteed to work out well.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Gorilla Salad posted:

Move on? It looks like the opposite to me. Pearl's found herself a NEW Rose. Because that's totally healthy and is guaranteed to work out well.

I guess you could say she found a... Rose-placement!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I guess you could say she found a... Rose-placement!

Nice one, Steven.