Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Rygar201 posted:

TIR is mostly right about all this, and I really only disagree with her about the Syria stuff. I think people that are mad about the red line thing overvalue projecting manliness than smart policy.

Seriously though, what happens next? Assad gasses people, then where do we go? I'm reminded of this statement.

We intervened in and occupied Iraq, and it was an expensive disaster.

We intervened in Libya, which went well, but the country is now a disaster.

We did neither in Syria, and the country is now a disaster.

Like what comes next? Since you believe we should have responded to Assad's chemical attacks, how should we have responded and how committed to regime change and nation building should we have been?

I guess I just wonder what the least bad option is, if you think it's something other than what we did.

A no fly zone after the Ghouta attack would have been my preferred policy.

Whether it hcould ave been maintained till now is another story, but it would have saved a good hundred thousand innocent Syrian lives in the meantime. I believer Volkerball has the exact stats on that.

Still, it would have been a limited engagement that would have dramatically improved our favourability in region, and uh, saved a hundred thousand people from being slaughtered, to say nothing of significantly limiting the systematic destruction of civil society in rebel held areas of Syria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

FactsAreUseless posted:

She is severely mentally ill, which is not a slight against those suffering from severe mental illnesses, but it is apparent from her posts that she has a very hard time seeing the world in a healthy way.

What does healthy posting even look like?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I'm less well read here than I should be, admittedly, but I was under the impression the Syrian air force and their Russian and Iranian backers weren't likely to take that lying down either diplomatically or militarily.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

What does healthy posting even look like?
The rabbit thread in Heavy Petting.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rygar201 posted:

I'm less well read here than I should be, admittedly, but I was under the impression the Syrian air force and their Russian and Iranian backers weren't likely to take that lying down either diplomatically or militarily.

there was potentially a window where it made sense before the Russians were flying missions themselves but it rapidly deteriorated

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Rygar201 posted:

They wouldn't have, but in 2012 and 2013 there would have been sweet gently caress all they could do about it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sorry to go off the current topic here, but new PPP Polls are out:

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/773511587680444416

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

They wouldn't have, but in 2012 and 2013 there would have been sweet gently caress all they could do about it.

Would this have imperiled the Iran nuke deal or the EU sanctions on Russia? I followed those while they were in the news but I'm not confident of my recollection of the timeline.

Sorry to ask all this, but I'm phone posting at work so I can't easily look it all up.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So why is the right so goddamn bullish on Tsar Vladimir? Is it just that he's a right-wing authoritarian strongman who oversees the criminalization of homosexuality and brutal military adventures abroad?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

iospace posted:

Quick, someone tell me how this proves Clinton is doomed.

Here, I'll start: :derp: It's narrowing in PA! If it keeps up pretty soon Trump will have 60% of the vote there! :derp:

Rygar201 posted:

Would this have imperiled the Iran nuke deal or the EU sanctions on Russia? I followed those while they were in the news but I'm not confident of my recollection of the timeline.

Sorry to ask all this, but I'm phone posting at work so I can't easily look it all up.

Probably no to both. Iran wanted the nuke deal pretty badly to get out from under some sanctions and no one likes Russia regardless of what else is going on in the world.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Edible Hat posted:

I can think of no issue, with the possible exception of free trade, where Trump is more to the left of Clinton. Do you care to enlighten me?

Just the fact that she is being openly bankrolled by goldman sachs and the rest of wal street is pretty drat revealing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Night10194 posted:

So why is the right so goddamn bullish on Tsar Vladimir? Is it just that he's a right-wing authoritarian strongman who oversees the criminalization of homosexuality and brutal military adventures abroad?
it's probably some other stuff, too

he's not obama, for example

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

Just the fact that she is being openly bankrolled by goldman sachs and the rest of wal street is pretty drat revealing.

Citation needed.

And didn't Trump hire a dude from Goldman Sachs to his econ team?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Trump and the GOP have far deeper financial ties to Goldman Sachs et al.
Trump literally owes hundreds of millions to them, and the GOP proper relies much more heavily on corporate donations.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Rush Limbaugh isn't bankrolled by wall street, does this mean he is to the left of Clinton?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Litany Unheard posted:

Citation needed.

The poster is not arguing in good faith.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Kilroy posted:

it's probably some other stuff, too

he's not black, for example

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

iospace posted:

If Grassley is actually only up 7 points the GOP are turbo hosed in the Senate. He's the bleeding edge of the pipe dream, wish on a star seat flips. There's like 11(?) Republican seats that are more likely to flip than his. He usually wins by 30 or more points.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

rscott posted:

Note that the countries that the United States stuck its dick in and started proxy wars actually includes both China and Russia

The US's involvement in China was preventing partition of the country, unless you're just really mad about Taiwan.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

He also loves guns, and OBAMA WANTS TO TAKE ALL OF OURS :freep:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Don't forget the incredibly transparent macho-man propaganda with him riding around shirtless, doing judo, or shooting guns. That's basically crack for the type of conservatives obsessed with masculinity, who like branding any and all of their male opponents as sissy girly men.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

computer parts posted:

The US's involvement in China was preventing partition of the country, unless you're just really mad about Taiwan.

I'm really curious what we did to Russia too. Is TR brokering the Russian Japanese peace sticking our dick in?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

We had a lot to do with 'Shock Therapy' after the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Thanks, Larry Summers, you incomprehensible shitlord.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
How Hillary wins the debate.

Trump: Says something

Clinton: If you believe that, you should go ahead and change your name to Donald CHUMP.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Night10194 posted:

We had a lot to do with 'Shock Therapy' after the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Thanks, Larry Summers, you incomprehensible shitlord.

Yeah there is that, I was imagining someone trying to blame us for the revolution or something.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DemeaninDemon posted:

Y'all ever heard of the March of Dimes?

Roughest of all the charities.

young Jon Stewart :neckbeard:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Rygar201 posted:

I'm really curious what we did to Russia too. Is TR brokering the Russian Japanese peace sticking our dick in?

There was a minor intervention in the Russian civil war.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

greatn posted:

How Hillary wins the debate.

Trump: Says something

Clinton: If you believe that, you should go ahead and change your name to Donald CHUMP.

Hire The Wave to run up on stage and do a skit every time she drops a sick burn.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Gyges posted:

If Grassley is actually only up 7 points the GOP are turbo hosed in the Senate. He's the bleeding edge of the pipe dream, wish on a star seat flips. There's like 11(?) Republican seats that are more likely to flip than his. He usually wins by 30 or more points.

He also usually has non-entities running against him. They have a serious candidate this year, but Grassley is close to 50%, an incumbent, and most of the undecided are Independents and Republicans. He'll probably be fine.

Those numbers are decent for NH and PA, but it is still disappointing that the Dem candidates are all running behind Hillary and the R's ahead of Trump. Toomey really should be a goner, but he's doing a lot better than he should be.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

El Disco posted:

There was a minor intervention in the Russian civil war.

Just about everything about the Russian Civil War was a massive, depressing, and horrifying clusterfuck.

I can't remember who said it, but someone described the Russian Revolution as 'We tried to make it better, but it turned out how it always does.' and it was remarkably apt.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/RosieGray/status/773512738785992704

Open white supremacy: the new normal.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/snappermorgan/status/773516262118920192

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
National Dumbass Club could've just hit up Wikipedia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt-right

There.

The actual purpose of the meeting is to determine editorial takes

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

visceril posted:

National Dumbass Club could've just hit up Wikipedia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt-right

There.

The actual purpose of the meeting is to determine editorial takes

Their description isn't exactly flattering though, even if it is completely true.

quote:

The alt-right has no official ideology, although various sources have said that it is associated with white nationalism,[1][2][7] white supremacism,[3][8][9] antisemitism,[1][2][10] right-wing populism,[7] nativism,[11] and the neoreactionary movement.[8][12]

The alt-right has been said to be a largely online movement with Internet memes widely used to advance or express its beliefs, often on websites such as 4chan.[8][10][13] It has also been associated with 8chan.[14]

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I've disagreed with The Iron Rose on a lot of her stances but this discussion has been pretty reasonable. War is terrible and the US does some hosed up poo poo but I don't really see how the US giving up its military dominance would make anything better. You'd just end up with another superpower committing atrocities, maybe even worse. Don't get me wrong, we're probably spending way more on the military than we have to even to maintain that dominance, and ought to use that money to take care of people back home. Educate the electorate and we'll find our military being used less for evil.

At the same time I feel that military hegemony is just a stop-gap measure. Things like the globalization of trade may be a more effective deterrent in the long run, and we should be building up the world to the point where we don't need to rely on the military.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Gyges posted:

Grassley is fine, but Iowans are a bit pissed he won't do his job.

Edit: to be clear this is a bit anecdotal since I do not think they have polled the Supreme Court question since June or July. It is hurting his usually strong support among democrats in Iowa.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

If you needed a reminder the alt-right was entirely teenagers, notice that logo came out a week after the new Deus Ex game

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think the alt-right going for more visibility is legitimately a terrible idea on their part.

They got incredibly lucky the press didn't go into much about Hillary's speech in Reno and they mostly avoided notice. Throwing themselves into the spotlight is going to get them burned like the cockroaches they are.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Good times to use nukes first:

Kim Jung Un is fueling his rockets to launch at Japan and a conventional strike isn't likely to disable them. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_bunker_buster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kit Walker posted:

I've disagreed with The Iron Rose on a lot of her stances but this discussion has been pretty reasonable. War is terrible and the US does some hosed up poo poo but I don't really see how the US giving up its military dominance would make anything better.

Would "not loving around in the Middle East" be considered "giving up our military dominance?"

• Locked thread