Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Litany Unheard posted:

lol, hey Donnie, what did you learn at school today? Really? Wow, that's really cool!

Not even. "Hey Donnie, did you learn anything at school today? No no, don't tell me what, just say yes or no and then you have free reign to say that the unidentified thing you learned was good or bad."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Litany Unheard posted:

lol, hey Donnie, what did you learn at school today? Really? Wow, that's really cool!

I prefer to imagine the alternate universe where that softball was swatted back with a "no." and Matt Lauer stares at his shoes awkwardly.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I kind of wonder what kind of reaction we'd get if we went back in time to 1984 and told them that in 32 years Donald Trump would not only be within striking distance of a credible shot at the Presidency, but that if he won he had gone on public record stating essentially that he didn't really want the job, would delegate all responsibilities to an unqualified Vice President, and would consider the idea of resigning or refusing the position.

Then again I also kind of wonder what kind of reaction we'd get if we went back in time to 1952 (Marty you have to go back!) and told them that in 30 years Ronald Reagan would not only be President, but would functionally destroy politics in America for almost two generations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
How shocking do you imagine it'd be to them? He's a slightly less competent Reagan with the same amount of Alzheimer's.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

Second, I don't think it's a correct understanding of what's going on to say that they're going to bat for Trump, because that implies they're rooting for or like Trump. They're going to bat for the Republican Party in general and whoever they nominate, but most correctly, they're going to bat for the false equivocation that both parties are equal entities with equally meaningful, correct, and fact-based opinions deserving of merit, because they need people to think that the election could be close, and that they should pay attention to it because, above all else, their participation could matter and thus they can feel important. Because that draws in clicks and pageviews and most importantly ad revenue, and that's all profit-driven media cares about. They don't focus on objective, truth-based journalism because that isn't what sells.

I agree with what you said but, in this election cycle, only one party is actually buying any ad time. Hillary is the only candidate spending money on TV ads. All the TV Trump gets is being given to him for free. TV is not just hastening it's own death, it's proving that it deserves to die.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
It was literally like this last night

Hillary: Well Matt, you know, I think that-
Matt: Make it quick, cmon snappy. As quick as you can, cmon.
Hillary: Ok, well fir-
Matt: Yea great ok bye.

Matt: Welcome, Mr. Trump. Tell me how you're gonna be a kick rear end prez
Donald: I'm gonna just be the best, I'm gonna fire everyone and you know Putin, he does a great job, I'm gonna be just like him. And I'm gonna take our oil out of Iraq and bring it back here, its gonna be tremendous Matt, let me tell you. It's gonna be real tremendous. First of all, Obama is just terrible, I know this from the briefings, they bodylanguaged him and it was just a disaster okay? If it were me, I'm gonna get the best people working on this. We're gonna just blow the poo poo out of everything, it's gonna be tuh-riffic! :smugdon:
Matt:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Boogaleeboo posted:

How shocking do you imagine it'd be to them? He's a slightly less competent Reagan with the same amount of Alzheimer's.

I have no clue. I'd like to believe they'd be a little offended, considering Trump's reputation, but I guess that's also true.

radical meme posted:

I agree with what you said but, in this election cycle, only one party is actually buying any ad time. Hillary is the only candidate spending money on TV ads. All the TV Trump gets is being given to him for free. TV is not just hastening it's own death, it's proving that it deserves to die.

I mean, they don't just run political ads and make money off of ads by other companies, which people still see even if they look at political news. Otherwise yeah, I don't disagree.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Lastgirl posted:

Donald: I'm gonna just be the best, I'm gonna fire everyone and you know Putin, he does a great job, I'm gonna be just like him. And I'm gonna take our oil out of Iraq and bring it back here, its gonna be tremendous Matt, let me tell you. It's gonna be real tremendous. First of all, Obama is just terrible, I know this from the briefings, they bodylanguaged him and it was just a disaster okay? If it were me, I'm gonna get the best people working on this. We're gonna just blow the poo poo out of everything, it's gonna be tuh-riffic! :smugdon:
Matt:

I didn't see how Hillary came in so I can't compare, but when Trump walked in Lauer literally patted him on the back and said "good to see you"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My main takeaway, though, is he cannot handle being unscripted. If Breitbart is furious, then he's furious about how last night went, despite it being as friendly as possible to him.

He's going to get reamed in the debates.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

After that Matt Lauer should be sequestered to only share coverage of puff events with Bob Costas.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

That New York times article is getting more edits than a Wikipedia edit-war.

This is like the fourth or fifth edit since publication.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Lightning Knight posted:

My confidence in Hillary's foreign policy just fell a little bit. :stare:

Chief of Staff is not a FoPo focused position, and Hillary has never indicated that her foreign policy inclinations include "making the targets of humanitarian interventions pay for it" :laffo: Incidentally, this is what we mean when we say that progressivism is nearly entirely domestic, with only incidental association with any particular foreign policy viewpoint. You get a surprising number of these people with good domestic policy bona fides but then get blindsided by their weird and bad foreign policy positions. (Or no FoPo positions at all, because they've only ever served as the Tenacious Political Outsiders...)

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Night10194 posted:

My main takeaway, though, is he cannot handle being unscripted. If Breitbart is furious, then he's furious about how last night went, despite it being as friendly as possible to him.

He's going to get reamed in the debates.

Yeah, despite the softballing and kid glove treatment, the general consensus seems to be that Trump gave absolutely abysmal answers. Lauer being a hack is overshadowing it, but Trump did terribly and there's no way he shapes up in time for the first real debate.

While he's having informal dinner chats about debating, Hilldawg will spend the next three weeks working a punching bag with Trump's face on it. I have high hopes.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Quorum posted:

Chief of Staff is not a FoPo focused position, and Hillary has never indicated that her foreign policy inclinations include "making the targets of humanitarian interventions pay for it" :laffo: Incidentally, this is what we mean when we say that progressivism is nearly entirely domestic, with only incidental association with any particular foreign policy viewpoint. You get a surprising number of these people with good domestic policy bona fides but then get blindsided by their weird and bad foreign policy positions. (Or no FoPo positions at all, because they've only ever served as the Tenacious Political Outsiders...)

This is a good post and I don't disagree. I was just kidding though. :shobon:

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Quorum posted:

See also: why Elizabeth Warren as VP would have been a terrible idea (although in her case it's more of a complete absence/disinterest in it than bad opinions).

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Boogaleeboo posted:

Does everyone think that he has dementia? I've had several relatives go senile, and he doesn't strike me as senile. Just a dumb old dude who never gets called on his bullshit, ever.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

See also: why Elizabeth Warren as VP would have been a terrible idea (although in her case it's more of a complete absence/disinterest in it than bad opinions).

I mean, Elizabeth Warren would've been a terrible VP because she's a great Senator and does great work there, and I'm not actually confident she'd be a good President, which is traditionally what the VP is for in the modern era, to be groomed into the future President. She's good at throwing red meat to the base and championing causes of the left in the Senate, but I doubt she has the skillset or knowledge base to do the more varied and nuanced job of the President. When you're one person in a group of almost 600, who's only voter base comes from super white people in liberal New England, you can afford to be somebody like Warren or Sanders. When you answer to everyone in the country and are constantly in the spotlight, you end up like Obama: strong rhetoric collapsing in the face of political and foreign policy reality, while being used as a scapegoat for everybody's problems.

Nobody gives the man any respect for this but the sheer endurance test Obama's presidency has been is a sight to behold. Watching the young looking man full of energy who came in, in 2008 age into a guy who looks a little bit like a darker skinned version of my 75 year old grandpa is a little bit disheartening, and you know all those years were stolen by jackass Republicans and their racist, obstructionist bullshit. I'm a little bit afraid how lovely the Presidency is going to be for Hillary. Not that, that should disqualify her or anything. But coming into the Presidency over the age of 55 sounds like an utter nightmare to me, let alone pushing 70.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Litany Unheard posted:

Yeah, despite the softballing and kid glove treatment, the general consensus seems to be that Trump gave absolutely abysmal answers. Lauer being a hack is overshadowing it, but Trump did terribly and there's no way he shapes up in time for the first real debate.

While he's having informal dinner chats about debating, Hilldawg will spend the next three weeks working a punching bag with Trump's face on it. I have high hopes.

The problem with this is that the Matt Lauer's of the world are the ones that will actually be telling most voters who won the debates. Most voters do not read The New York Times or any other newspaper for that matter. They get their news from poo poo shows like The Today Show, or Morning Joe. Most voters won't even bother to watch the debates. So it's the Matt Lauer's that will actually be declaring the winners of the debates.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, Elizabeth Warren would've been a terrible VP because she's a great Senator and does great work there, and I'm not actually confident she'd be a good President, which is traditionally what the VP is for in the modern era, to be groomed into the future President. She's good at throwing red meat to the base and championing causes of the left in the Senate, but I doubt she has the skillset or knowledge base to do the more varied and nuanced job of the President. When you're one person in a group of almost 600, who's only voter base comes from super white people in liberal New England, you can afford to be somebody like Warren or Sanders. When you answer to everyone in the country and are constantly in the spotlight, you end up like Obama: strong rhetoric collapsing in the face of political and foreign policy reality, while being used as a scapegoat for everybody's problems.

Nobody gives the man any respect for this but the sheer endurance test Obama's presidency has been is a sight to behold. Watching the young looking man full of energy who came in, in 2008 age into a guy who looks a little bit like a darker skinned version of my 75 year old grandpa is a little bit disheartening, and you know all those years were stolen by jackass Republicans and their racist, obstructionist bullshit. I'm a little bit afraid how lovely the Presidency is going to be for Hillary. Not that, that should disqualify her or anything. But coming into the Presidency over the age of 55 sounds like an utter nightmare to me, let alone pushing 70.

Maybe at one of her White House correspondents' dinners she'll tell the same joke as Obama about the job aging her, only instead of a picture of Morgan Freeman she'll put up a picture of the witch from Snow White.

Just to bait Republicans into inevitably cheering "that's what she already looks like!!!!!!!"

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

vyelkin posted:

Maybe at one of her White House correspondents' dinners she'll tell the same joke as Obama about the job aging her, only instead of a picture of Morgan Freeman she'll put up a picture of the witch from Snow White.

Just to bait Republicans into inevitably cheering "that's what she already looks like!!!!!!!"

Clearly she should just use Maleficent as played by Jolie. Feminist icon, and also gorgeous. Fits the bill. :colbert:

Hillary Clinton totally deserves to be judged on the basis of her immense qualifications and ability to do her job well, and her looks are irrelevant. But if I was just a little bit older and remembered the '90s better I totally would've had the biggest celebrity crush on younger Hillary Clinton because ho-ly poo poo. :stare:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Knight posted:

Almost certainly, yes. He's a member of the good old boys club in New York's elite and he's used to getting whatever he wants, whenever he wants it.

He's actually not a member of the good old boys club in New York's elite, which is part of the reason for his neuroses

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'd just like to skip a month ahead at this point because you can see this country being slowly digested by its own idiocy and it's stressing me out.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

He's actually not a member of the good old boys club in New York's elite, which is part of the reason for his neuroses

Yes, that's true I suppose. I used that phrasing because it's my understanding that his dad was rich and powerful.

Now that I think about, I honestly don't know anything about Trump other than his Birther stuff from 08-12, whatever silly poo poo he does now, and memes from The Apprentice. I feel like that makes it more exciting when the new "crazy poo poo Trump did in the past, holy poo poo he's an rear end in a top hat" story comes out from week to week, for me. :v:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Yea if you read Garrison Keillor's scathing piece on him, this much is very apparent. He's loathed by everyone, if he didn't have money, he'd just be that ranting crazy person on the NYC subway

Ivanka even implied that she's only carefully navigating around her father's dynasty so that she can inherit it, they probably have some internal power struggles and loathe each other.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

radical meme posted:

The problem with this is that the Matt Lauer's of the world are the ones that will actually be telling most voters who won the debates. Most voters do not read The New York Times or any other newspaper for that matter. They get their news from poo poo shows like The Today Show, or Morning Joe. Most voters won't even bother to watch the debates. So it's the Matt Lauer's that will actually be declaring the winners of the debates.

Almost 70 million people watched the first debate in 2012, and I would be shocked if Trump v. Clinton doesn't draw more viewers than Barack v. Mormon Data.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

I'd just like to skip a month ahead at this point because you can see this country being slowly digested by its own idiocy and it's stressing me out.

same except like thirty years

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/oldhossradbourn/status/773862162280218624

https://twitter.com/exumam/status/773862894207373312

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

I wonder if a private company that induces you into a coma so you can get through elections is feasible...

I'd like one coma please.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ann Curry sighed as she drew her katana

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

zoux posted:

I wonder if a private company that induces you into a coma so you can get through elections is feasible...

I'd like one coma please.

All the voters induce comas because of the awful election and only the undecideds are left.

We wake up to President Gary Johnson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyZQRybtDCs

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Lastgirl posted:

Matt:

And the Trumpistas are pissed that he still wasn't soft enough to make up for Trump's incompetence.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Apparently, Clinton's back up to 4 up in Rasmussen.

Maybe the Trumpmentum is ceasing. More likely an outlier, because lol Rasmussen.

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.
She's +1 (without 538's unbiasing) in that USC tracking poll too.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Litany Unheard posted:

Almost 70 million people watched the first debate in 2012, and I would be shocked if Trump v. Clinton doesn't draw more viewers than Barack v. Mormon Data.

That's more than I would have thought but, you're right; at least it shows the number was 67.2 mil according to Nielsen. That translates into about 57% of the total votes cast in the 2012 election; 118 million votes, assuming all the viewers were voters. I guess we just need to hope that the Matt Lauer's don't unduly influence the other 40% of voters.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

:laffo: watch him fire Conway if the other polls start going against him too.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Lastgirl posted:

Ivanka even implied that she's only carefully navigating around her father's dynasty so that she can inherit it, they probably have some internal power struggles and loathe each other.
There's pretty much zero chance she doesn't have a finished manuscript of a scathing tell-all sitting in a deposit box somewhere. Once he's dead or has damaged the brand enough to gently caress over her inheritance, she'll make her own way.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Does everyone think that he has dementia? I've had several relatives go senile, and he doesn't strike me as senile. Just a dumb old dude who never gets called on his bullshit, ever.

Dementia and Alzheimer's aren't the same thing, and he already has a family history of it. Combined with being old as balls, overweight, and never having taken care of himself a single day in his entire life? You could probably scare the poo poo out of him by suggesting he has it. Illness is evidently one of his big fears. I mean people have called his speeches dumbed down emotional appears to his core demographic, but it could also simply be the result of the early stage loss of fluency and vocabulary. Hence him using the same phrases and short sentences all the time. No wonder he went to a quack doctor to get cleared.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
Hillary looking relaxed and personable in this presser. She's better at this than she gets credit for.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think more dangerous than Trump himself as president is what sort of interests he would invite into our government. He's already shown an eager willingness to ally himself with anybody who sucks up enough, defending Putin on national TV and making Breitbart a political player just because they always have positive headlines about him. If he were elected, there's no doubt he would surround himself with dangerously corrupt yes-men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

She's going to absolutely Tombstone him in the debates but none of it will matter.

• Locked thread