Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Andrast posted:

You are being really weird about a form of media that's present pretty much every European country.

And it exists in the US too. That's the part you seem to miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
They may be hurting as well, but there's also the Guardian's model.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

FairGame posted:

You're talking about programmatic ads. The CPM for direct-sold ads (the poo poo you'd see on NYT, WSJ, etc., is easily as high as $40. Probably higher right now because advertisers are weird as hell and blow all their budget in Q4 even though they're not advertising consumer goods. Which is staggering and stupid.

Most of the sites we're talking about using ad-block on in this discussion are big sites that have a dedicated digital ad sales staff. Not places that are just set-and-forget with google adwords.

You're spot on if you're talking about google adwords poo poo, though.

Some sites are doing this, yeah. I expect more to follow suit.

Yeah, ad targeting is a totally different beast.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

Then it would seem the system isn't working out for them.

I don't have an answer for how journalism should make money. But trying to tack technological development that make our lives better down so corporations can make more money is the answer, I'd rather they went out of business.

Blocking ads and bypassing subscriptions are worth losing journalism? As bad as corruption is now do you really think poo poo would get better with no press?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

And it exists in the US too. That's the part you seem to miss.

Alright, the US has similar systems. How does this affect my original point that journalism doesn't need to be for-pay at all?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Homeless Friend posted:

They can just block users that use adblockers simply enough it would seem.

Forbes does this already. I'd be surprised if it helps them in any way though, because that means less total traffic and less shares on social media. I feel like I haven't seen Forbes articles on the aggregators in a long time.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Andrast posted:

Alright, the US has similar systems. How does this affect my original point that journalism doesn't need to be for-pay at all?

I'd be ok with this if we had the right laws protecting them, the Republicans try to pull NPRs funding everytime NPR says anything that mildly offends them you have to be very careful if the people who are supposed to be watching the government are also paid by them.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

socialsecurity posted:

Blocking ads and bypassing subscriptions are worth losing journalism? As bad as corruption is now do you really think poo poo would get better with no press?

No. But that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about the monetization of something that no longer has scarcity. Current methods of achieving that are apparently insufficient. They aren't making enough money to sustain themselves. And at that point, you are faced with allowing traditional journalism to disappear and be replaced by something else - and it absolutely would - or use stupid, draconian copyright law to punish consumers for doing the rational thing in response to post-scarcity: treating the non-scarce item as worthless, economically.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Apparently someone at the original content creator reads Awkward Zombie. :allears:

Edit: gently caress :argh:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/773992121619578880
I'm neutral, leaning to "Ok with this". Thoughts?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm old so if my blocking stupid intrusive lovely malware soaked ads means we all have to go back to paying for content that's fine with me. :corsair:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Anyone post that blueprint for a TV McD wants to make where you have to stand up and shout "IM LOVIN IT!" when a McD commericial appears?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

No. But that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about the monetization of something that no longer has scarcity. Current methods of achieving that are apparently insufficient. They aren't making enough money to sustain themselves. And at that point, you are faced with allowing traditional journalism to disappear and be replaced by something else - and it absolutely would - or use stupid, draconian copyright law to punish consumers for doing the rational thing in response to post-scarcity: treating the non-scarce item as worthless, economically.

How does it not have scarcity? You keep acting like investigations/journalism/articles just sort of appear out of thin air for free, a newspaper has never been about the physical paper its been about the content it contained.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

iospace posted:

Probably playing with geopolitical fire, but sound action on the basis of principle. I doubt it'll go anywhere.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 8, 2016

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

socialsecurity posted:

How does it not have scarcity? You keep acting like investigations/journalism/articles just sort of appear out of thin air for free, a newspaper has never been about the physical paper its been about the content it contained.

Because scarcity isn't defined by the labor put into an object.

I mean, the system that would best fit what you're talking about is some kind of scheme where a semi-independent government corporation pays out salaries to journalists who meet a certain threshold of popularity. Cut out the middle man and pay them for their work and allow said work to be copied infinitely as the Internet is liable to do. There's probably fifty million problems with that scheme but that's my spitball idea to fix the problem off the top of my head.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Zombie Samurai posted:

Forbes does this already. I'd be surprised if it helps them in any way though, because that means less total traffic and less shares on social media. I feel like I haven't seen Forbes articles on the aggregators in a long time.

I am 100% on board with the sites that go "hey, we see you have an adblocker, please whitelist us so we can keep producing content you like :) " and will generally comply, especially since they tend to be responsible curators of ad content.

It does present a little more resource investment than just slapping in an ad provider and calling it a day, though.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

iospace posted:

It has a picture of Rand Paul so I'm gonna assume it's a good plan by Obama.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

Anyone post that blueprint for a TV McD wants to make where you have to stand up and shout "IM LOVIN IT!" when a McD commericial appears?

https://hollybrockwell.com/2013/07/22/say-mcdonalds-to-end-this-commercial/

It has a nice little write-up on this type of advertising as well.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I am 100% on board with the sites that go "hey, we see you have an adblocker, please whitelist us so we can keep producing content you like :) " and will generally comply, especially since they tend to be responsible curators of ad content.

It does present a little more resource investment than just slapping in an ad provider and calling it a day, though.

On the other hand, I cannot view some sites that do this at work despite not personally running an ad blocker, probably due to proxy settings

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

Grey Fox posted:

The pressure of condensed poo poo at Wells Fargo hit critical mass and they were forced temporarily to pull the release valve, fired 5,300 employees for being low-level fuckers.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/08/investing/wells-fargo-created-phony-accounts-bank-fees/

"New York Times posted:

Those illegal banking practices were widespread and pervasive at Wells Fargo, which on Thursday was fined $185 million, including a $100 million penalty from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the largest such penalty the agency has ever issued.

Simultaneously happy that the CFPB has issued its largest penalty so far and disappointed that it is only $100 mil.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Andrast posted:

Except someone always pays.

The BBC for example makes massive amounts of money as a for-profit media company, ~$200B in profits annually. Just overseas. That makes them more profitable than Gannet or Neilson Media.

I don't think that federally mandating cable companies carry another PBS station is worth the risk to free speech that entails in America.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yeah, for the most part I do the same. There are simply too many intrusive and malware distributing ads out there to not run an ad blocker though.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Anti ad blocking only works as long as the bro

Ciaphas posted:

On the other hand, I cannot view some sites that do this at work despite not personally running an ad blocker, probably due to proxy settings

The practice isn't widespread but the instant it is you can expect ad blockers to have anti-anti-adblocking

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I sub to my local paper, the NYT for free through school, and large Slavic women in leather

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Apparently someone at the original content creator reads Awkward Zombie. :allears:

Edit: gently caress :argh:

Haha TOO SLOW

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

DemeaninDemon posted:

It has a picture of Rand Paul so I'm gonna assume it's a good plan by Obama.

It's only half of him though so it might be the part that sounds reasonable

https://twitter.com/SabrinaSiddiqui/status/774002356753170432

Oh Little Marco. I remember when I too had hope 08 was a hell of a year

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Phone posted:

Are we going to see "I hope you get ads!" as an online insult gain popularity?

Right up until the circular firing squad complains it minimizes aids victims, then it's probatable.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

BiohazrD posted:

Anti ad blocking only works as long as the bro

The practice isn't widespread but the instant it is you can expect ad blockers to have anti-anti-adblocking

This is my job creation program. Please vote for me in 2032.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
Listening to Pence and I just noticed something. He mentions shoulders a LOT. "Shoulder to Shoulder", "On the shoulders of the great Ronald Reagan", "Head and Shoulders above"

It's like the new version of Santorum's hands.

I also don't think I've ever typed the word shoulder before and it just doesn't look right to me.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Spun Dog posted:

Listening to Pence and I just noticed something. He mentions shoulders a LOT. "Shoulder to Shoulder", "On the shoulders of the great Ronald Reagan", "Head and Shoulders above"

It's like the new version of Santorum's hands.

I also don't think I've ever typed the word shoulder before and it just doesn't look right to me.

Now you're having me imagine Santorum being Trump's running mate and constantly pissing Trump off by mentioning hands.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

iospace posted:

Now you're having me imagine Santorum being Trump's running mate and constantly pissing Trump off by mentioning hands.

They would have a sort of Salt & Pepper vibe.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

Right up until the circular firing squad complains it minimizes aids victims, then it's probatable.
Good av

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Zombie Samurai posted:

Ironically Forbes is one of like three websites I refuse to read without a blocker. they are the worst.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/773990062237286400

Did the AP just catch up on this thread or something?

Oops sorry about our misleading hit pieces! I guess we can clean some up of that up. Better late than never right?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

History tidbit for you:
https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/773949735761645568
(and drat she's aged well)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Humans of New York has more Hillary bits making their way around Millennial Facebook:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I hate to jinx it, but I am fine with my current monthly fairy-given USPOL avatar.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

iospace posted:

History tidbit for you:
https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/773949735761645568
(and drat she's aged well)

:stare: I wouldn't have put her at much over 40 if that. Goddamn, if I aget that well I will sacrifice a goat to someone or something.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Trump making GBS threads himself last night, and Pence doubling down on Putin, should swing things back.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

theflyingorc posted:

...You DID pay for the newspaper at the library. Through taxes.

https://twitter.com/lancestorm/status/376823017860366336

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

vyelkin posted:

Humans of New York has more Hillary bits making their way around Millennial Facebook:

I thought all these were really good

• Locked thread