Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
In my 20 years of driving on public roads I have lived and driven in Texas, New Mexico, Florida, Georgia, and Okinawa. I hit a deer once.

You're doing it wrong.

E: oh, and South Carolina.

PenisMonkey fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

PenisMonkey posted:

In my 20 years of driving on public roads I have lived and driven in Texas, New Mexico, Florida, Georgia, and Okinawa. I hit a deer once.

You're doing it wrong.

E: oh, and South Carolina.

I've been driving for 16, lived/driven in Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, North Dakota, and now Taiwan. Not a single accident.

All the accidents I've had in Ohio were the other driver's fault. Okay, technically only two of those accidents I can claim to have been involved, and one happened after I sold the car to my parents. Still, Ohio drivers suck. I'd even put Florida drivers above Ohio drivers.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

YF19pilot posted:

I wish I could show this to a coworker of mine who just left two months ago. He doesn't believe me that Ohio drivers are bad.

For context, I live in Taiwan, which is the furthest I've been able to remove myself from the hell that is NE Ohio. My ex-coworker thinks Taiwanese drivers are the worst in the world. He absolutely refused to believe me when I said that Ohio drivers probably have Taiwan beat. He even said "I drove through Ohio, all of their drivers are great!" This, after I told them I had actually lived there, and my poor car was involved in 4 accidents in as many years (one even being my own grandparents backing into my car)! I've never had an accident anywhere else! Even here in Taiwan!

That particular stretch of road has some concentrated stupid (current NE Ohio resident here), but Ohio is one of the better states I drive in. I argue that Indiana drivers are worse by far on an overall statewide basis. So many loving left lane hogs. The DC area is the absolute worst place I drive regularly, but that's understandable with the combination of density and variety in drivers.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

wolrah posted:

That particular stretch of road has some concentrated stupid (current NE Ohio resident here), but Ohio is one of the better states I drive in. I argue that Indiana drivers are worse by far on an overall statewide basis. So many loving left lane hogs. The DC area is the absolute worst place I drive regularly, but that's understandable with the combination of density and variety in drivers.

Allstate's recent survey, among the top 200 U.S. cities the D.C. area came in 197th for collisions.

https://www.allstate.com/tools-and-resources/americas-best-drivers.aspx

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSG12mSxG-s

I need a new dashcam that's better in the dark.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

davebo posted:

Allstate's recent survey, among the top 200 U.S. cities the D.C. area came in 197th for collisions.

I'm not saying YOU interpreted this wrong, but the way you stated here is unclear.

#1 on this list is the least likely to have collisions, #200 is most likely (of these 200). DC was 197th.

So it made the list of best places, but it was very low on the list.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Krakkles posted:

I'm not saying YOU interpreted this wrong, but the way you stated here is unclear.

#1 on this list is the least likely to have collisions, #200 is most likely (of these 200). DC was 197th.

So it made the list of best places, but it was very low on the list.

Better Than Boston (R)(C)

200TH, baby! Dead loving last.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

sharkytm posted:

It's funny, because I travel for work, as do many of my coworkers, and they (being from the Midwest) all bitch about Los Angeles (where I'm from) traffic and drivers, and I always tell them that Boston is way worse. It's nice to see evidence backing my opinion!

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Doh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlV1ZzPm7Ns

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
A deer!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPrI8db74kA

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

sharkytm posted:

Hahaha, Worcester, the city I spent my first 5 years as a driver in, is 199th.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

davebo posted:

I can't believe that Cleveland and Akron are both in the top half of that list. But then I see Pittsburgh at 178, and it confirms a suspicion. All of the terrible drivers in Ohio must be Steelers fans.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
I can get behind that logic.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Insane truck crash and a lesson in poor highway construction.

No one died, http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...0919-story.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irE5z6X2pL0

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Lime Tonics posted:

Glad that no one died in that. Doesn't even look like the semi tried to slow down before he plowed into that line.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Lime Tonics posted:

So where was the poor highway construction involved in a semi driver not paying attention? Looks like a clear day and a nice smooth well-built highway in the video, and there is no mention in the article of any road conditions that might have contributed.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Lime Tonics posted:

That link is horrific. Video is pretty terrifying, too.

94 in that area is the main vein to Wisconsin from Chicago. Pretty dense suburbs & retail along that area with high traffic volumes, but the exits are pretty spread out, so the speeds between get higher than if there was a ton of traffic merging on and off. Few exits mean tons of people will use the ones they can, and exiting traffic backs up to a standstill past the offramps and onto the main lanes of the highway. 70mph avg to 5-10mph, and when people are crawling along off their brakes, you don't necessarily see a lot of brake lights. Truck driver's eyes were probably buried in his GPS or behind his eyelids, didn't even brake or swerve.

When I come up on traffic stopped for construction and nobody is close behind me, I stare into the rearview looking out for the people too preoccupied to look for me. Sometimes I'll even pop my hazards on. It's scary watching someone just barreling towards you and you have no idea if they'll stop or not. If you've been stopped a whole 30 seconds and the guy behind you has to panic brake & swerve to miss you, I think you should be allowed to go back and damage their car as if they'd hit you in the first place.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 22, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Poor construction = exit traffic that extends into thru-lanes on the interstate.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Anybody have any experience with submitting a dashcam video to police to use as evidence in a hit and run? My wife says she was sideswiped today on the highway and caught it all on camera but I won't be able to pull the video from the camera until tomorrow morning.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

two_beer_bishes posted:

Anybody have any experience with submitting a dashcam video to police to use as evidence in a hit and run? My wife says she was sideswiped today on the highway and caught it all on camera but I won't be able to pull the video from the camera until tomorrow morning.

Not for a hit & run, but I sent a dash-cam video to my local PD yesterday of a guy blowing past a school-bus that was loading kids with the lights on and stop-sign out. No idea if anything will be done with it.

If your wife was in a hit & run, did she call the police and get a report? If so, she should have some contact information and be able to find out from the police what to do with it. If not, then she might be SOL. You need to immediately call the PD and wait on the scene for a report in a hit & run, even if it's just so your insurance doesn't decide it's your fault.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of hit and runs, watch the cops do nothing,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0oxDu-svSk

Guy got away too.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

The Locator posted:

If your wife was in a hit & run, did she call the police and get a report? If so, she should have some contact information and be able to find out from the police what to do with it. If not, then she might be SOL. You need to immediately call the PD and wait on the scene for a report in a hit & run, even if it's just so your insurance doesn't decide it's your fault.

She didn't call the police because in NYC they won't file a report if nobody was injured, there's a state form to fill out instead.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Lime Tonics posted:

Speaking of hit and runs, watch the cops do nothing,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0oxDu-svSk

Guy got away too.

Holy poo poo.. Chicago is terrible. There is no such thing as 'jurisdiction' here in AZ. Every cop has full police powers anywhere in the state so that there is none of that bullshit.

two_beer_bishes posted:

She didn't call the police because in NYC they won't file a report if nobody was injured, there's a state form to fill out instead.

It is really strange to me that the police won't file reports on hit and runs. Here a hit and run is considered pretty serious and they'll actively go after people who do that. Just so strange.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
There are probably a thousand of them every day.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Every job is measured in quantity now not quality gently caress your life.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

two_beer_bishes posted:

Yes. I told the officer I had a dash cam video at the scene. He asked for the license plate number (which thankfully I remembered) and to fill out a statement. He provided an email address that I used to email the video to him and he called me back later to tell me it was an open and shut case based on the video and made his job a hell of a lot easier. I was provided a case number to give to my insurance so that they could gently caress the hit and run driver in the rear end.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

The Locator posted:

Holy poo poo.. Chicago is terrible. There is no such thing as 'jurisdiction' here in AZ. Every cop has full police powers anywhere in the state so that there is none of that bullshit.
I kind of have to doubt either the police assertion or the guy's account of what they said. Regardless of where the perp is headed, he committed the crime in their jurisdiction. If cops just had to turn back at such boundaries, you'd see a ton more crime talking advantage of the obvious loophole. My guess: cop's shift was up and he didn't want to get into something time consuming, and the rotten Chicago PD is just covering for him.

Would be an interesting one to repost on GiP's cop thread to get their take.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Cugel the Clever posted:

I kind of have to doubt either the police assertion or the guy's account of what they said. Regardless of where the perp is headed, he committed the crime in their jurisdiction. If cops just had to turn back at such boundaries, you'd see a ton more crime talking advantage of the obvious loophole. My guess: cop's shift was up and he didn't want to get into something time consuming, and the rotten Chicago PD is just covering for him.

Would be an interesting one to repost on GiP's cop thread to get their take.

I'm not a cop but it wouldn't surprise me if they had a department pursuit policy that said "no chases on the freeway unless it's a violent felony" or something to that effect and to just report it to state police/highway patrol instead. My guess is that's what they told the guy, that the department doesn't allow chases for anything less than a violent felony and that the highway patrol has to handle it from there (presumably because they have a different pursuit policy) which the guy understood to mean that they didn't have jusidiction.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 23, 2016

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

But attempt pursuit and see if it turns into a chase. That guy shut it down way to quick to make that call.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

two_beer_bishes posted:

In Austin there are so many leaving-the-scene incidents that they're extremely backlogged and basically put it on the person that was hit to make the case for them (there usually isn't enough evidence in these cases).

We got hit almost a year ago, found out who owned the car, Facebook stalked them to verify their identity (we saw the driver and passenger), and submitted everything to the police. We still haven't heard anything back, though that could be due to any number of things from the backlog, to them deciding that it still wasn't enough, to the fact that we have since moved.

I should probably check in on that.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

davebo posted:

Well that explains why AllState is hiking everyone's rates in Atlanta (ranked 184). The drivers suck so bad here. It was after passing my 4th accident in the same day that I decided to spend the $500 it's going to cost to get a backup camera/sensors installed in my 15 year old's eventual car. I'm debating a dashboard camera since any accident it recorded would probably be her fault.

The 3rd accident I passed that day was a 4 car collision involving a driver's ed car. :(

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Scruff McGruff posted:

I'm not a cop but it wouldn't surprise me if they had a department pursuit policy that said "no chases on the freeway unless it's a violent felony" or something to that effect and to just report it to state police/highway patrol instead. My guess is that's what they told the guy, that the department doesn't allow chases for anything less than a violent felony and that the highway patrol has to handle it from there (presumably because they have a different pursuit policy) which the guy understood to mean that they didn't have jusidiction.

That's what the story is here... cop didn't pursue because the crime wasn't serious enough to justify a pursuit under the departments pursuit policy.

My city has a similar pursuit policy after a number of innocent people were killed by fleeing suspects for stupid poo poo like driving a stolen car or failing to stop for traffic offenses.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Locator posted:

You need to immediately call the PD and wait on the scene for a report in a hit & run, even if it's just so your insurance doesn't decide it's your fault.

Just to address this. One more data point. In CA, if nobody was injured and damage is less than $750, you don't have to even file a police report. For any accident, you can file a police report up to 72 hours after the incident.

It was a stop & go bumper bender hit & run my wife was involved in that got me motivated to finally buy my dashcam. She pulled over but the other driver didn't. It would have been on cam. We filed a police report two days later, and our insurance paid out, minus deductible, for the repair.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

`Nemesis posted:

That's what the story is here... cop didn't pursue because the crime wasn't serious enough to justify a pursuit under the departments pursuit policy.

My city has a similar pursuit policy after a number of innocent people were killed by fleeing suspects for stupid poo poo like driving a stolen car or failing to stop for traffic offenses.
I get the cautious pursuit policies to an extent, but here you have an obviously dangerous driver who just committed a hit and run—who's to say they're not going to kill an innocent person in the next minute? I don't see how this doesn't end up drastically increasing the number of hit and runs.

The cop should have at least flashed their lights on first witnessing the incident :-/

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Cugel the Clever posted:

I get the cautious pursuit policies to an extent, but here you have an obviously dangerous driver who just committed a hit and run—who's to say they're not going to kill an innocent person in the next minute? I don't see how this doesn't end up drastically increasing the number of hit and runs.

The cop should have at least flashed their lights on first witnessing the incident :-/

How does pursuing them reduce the risk of them hitting another vehicle?

And yes, certain crimes do go up with strict pursuit policies. But chasing a hit and run driver for a fender bender isn't worth hurting/killing innocent people over IMO.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

And yet people get pulled over for speeding, so this argument makes no sense. It's not a high speed pursuit to flash your lights and attempt to pull over someone who just committed a traffic violation right in front of you.

If they speed off instead of pulling over? Great, you just nailed them, on your police cruiser camera, for a much bigger crime.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

`Nemesis posted:

How does pursuing them reduce the risk of them hitting another vehicle?

And yes, certain crimes do go up with strict pursuit policies. But chasing a hit and run driver for a fender bender isn't worth hurting/killing innocent people over IMO.

By potentially stopping them prior to their hitting that vehicle... There's a huge shade of grey between doing nothing and engaging in a high-speed pursuit that threatens collateral damage. Some people will stop when they see those lights go up.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Yea, the cop should have at least tried, but the guy saw the cop and drove off anyways, he probably didn't care.

Also, they still couldn't have proven the drivers identity, so catching them doing a "bigger crime" isn't really true, but that's neither here nor there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

`Nemesis posted:

Yea, the cop should have at least tried, but the guy saw the cop and drove off anyways, he probably didn't care.

Also, they still couldn't have proven the drivers identity, so catching them doing a "bigger crime" isn't really true, but that's neither here nor there.

You'd be shocked how many people admit they were driving later.