Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I used "lol" a lot yesterday and I'm sorry. I've taken the necessary steps to make sure this happens less often in the future lol

these are the people you share a forum with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

the worst part about this is the guy recording missed the light.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Today some dimwit in the right-turn-only lane (sitting bumper to bumper) jumped out of it directly in front of me (moving at 10-15mph) to get into the left-turn-only lane. I nearly hit him and then the motherfucker was the last one through the light and I got to wait another light cycle.

rear end in a top hat.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

On my way home, I turn off a high volume road a bit early to avoid an ugly intersection/crossing. I will take the green path, down past a community college, turn into a parking lot, and wait for a light to go across, down my crossstreet.

First off, kids coming out of the community college do not give a gently caress about stop signs going down South Coleman Rd. Which is always great because cops know this and will sit on a side road waiting for someone to blaze past.

Second, there's quite a few people who take the red path, and in a short amount of road, will move three lanes over to get into the left turn lane, ultimately trying to go where I am also trying to go. They use one of three methods for this.

1) They will gun it, not giving a care in the world for anyone who may already be in the lanes they are trying to move through.
2) Proceed with their head turned to their left at like 120 degrees, making sure it is safe to go through the other lanes, but ignoring the cars ahead of them who may be stopped at one of two lights.
3) Actually wait for a natural break in traffic, giving them room to get to the turn lane, which pisses off all the people who follow the first two methods.

I get to see a lot of this from my spot waiting for the light. It's a pretty dangerous intersection, given all the traffic that goes through there and how stupid it makes people. After work, I do not need any of that.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Geoj posted:

Old timers strike again.

Driving home on a limited(ish) access four lane highway, posted 50 MPH zone, road wet with light rain. While approaching a signaled intersection with a stopped left turn lane with about a dozen cars stacked up an older guy in a Nissan SUV about three or four cars back decides he isn't going to turn after all, and he also isn't going to bother to check his mirror or signal, and just pulled out in front of me when I was maybe two car lengths behind him, while I was doing 55.

By all means I should have plowed right into him, or at the very least spun out after making a sharp avoidance maneuver given the conditions. But by some small miracle the right lane was empty, I missed him by inches and maintained control through the intersection. Bastard caught back up with me at the next light and wouldn't even make eye contact, gently caress him :argh:

And it just dawned on me that I should have stopped and bought a lottery ticket, but now the moment has passed.

Exact same (but mirrored) situation happened to me, only I had nowhere to go and rear-ended a minivan. My insurance paid them out and I spent around $500 putting my car back on the road. I got a ticket for 'following too close', but it was thrown out in court. Lady driving the van didn't have a license and went to jail for it. Bought a dashcam the next day.

E: save the lottery ticket and buy a dashcam, it's cheap insurance that won't leave you hanging out to dry.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 9, 2016

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran
I get that they're heavy and accelerate slow, but is it kosher to be pissed at semis that accelerate really slowly on rural on ramps and merge into highway traffic going 75-80 at 30 per?

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
E: wrong dang thread

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Roseo posted:

I get that they're heavy and accelerate slow, but is it kosher to be pissed at semis that accelerate really slowly on rural on ramps and merge into highway traffic going 75-80 at 30 per?

If they're loaded to the gills? gently caress no. Especially on any amount of upward slope, there's just no way to get it moving that fast.

When they put that poo poo in the left lane and engage in a retard fight with another semi is when they have hosed up.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Roseo posted:

These signs exist for a reason.
http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/easton/index.ssf/2016/06/tractor-trailer_flips_at_25th.html

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Roseo posted:

Go drive a loaded truck and get back to me. Consider that a lot of trucks are around 400hp/1500ftlbs at 80,000lbs. That's 200lbs/hp and 53lbs/ftlb, if they were a 3000lb car, that would be 15hp and 57ftlbs. it can easily take 2 miles and 4-5 minutes for some trucks to hit 70mph. A slight incline and it its' 4 miles and 10 minutes.

If you drop street view on the right had mark here, and look west, leaving from that set of lights, that incline meant my truck can't do more than 43mph until it got to the second point, and with the power and gearing i had, i could easily outrun any other truck up that hill.

https://goo.gl/maps/RGEMXFBpwbQ2

Throw on a mini-skirt and head to a truck stop for a ride-along in a loaded truck. You can feel the truck putting 1500 ftlbs of torque to the road, and you're still not getting anywhere.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

the worst part about this is the guy recording missed the light.

Yeah I am surprised someone stuck behind him didn't get out and kill him for it.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've seen trucks with no trailers haul rear end too by contrast. Some are surprisingly fast without a load. Like I'd be behind a truck at a light and I'd settle in for a slow drive, and then the truck would start pulling away from me in the green, accelerating faster than I would normally in traffic. Do big rig truckers upgrade their trucks beyond dumb chrome and clearance lights everywhere? Is that a thing I don't know about?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Yeah!
http://i.imgur.com/b1atzx8.mp4

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

um excuse me posted:

I've seen trucks with no trailers haul rear end too by contrast. Some are surprisingly fast without a load. Like I'd be behind a truck at a light and I'd settle in for a slow drive, and then the truck would start pulling away from me in the green, accelerating faster than I would normally in traffic. Do big rig truckers upgrade their trucks beyond dumb chrome and clearance lights everywhere? Is that a thing I don't know about?

Acceleration improves with reduced weight. It's like physics or science or something like that.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

um excuse me posted:

It's almost as if a 30 ton trailer has some detrimental effect on acceleration. Weird.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Those are some pretty goony replies to the question I asked.

I'm aware that a lighter truck goes faster.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

um excuse me posted:

Yeah, even with a 18,000lb truck pulling a 13000lb empty trailer i could usually outrun traffic. Guys do upgrade their trucks because more power makes for an easier day, more miles a day , and more money. You can also buy factory 605hp 16 liter trucks, and the macks/volvos are easily tuned to 685/735hp

these trucks are probably over 1000hp and 3000ft/lbs and are still put to work every day.

[video type="youtube"]IptV663j11E[/video
[video type=\"youtube\"]Ny180iK8DKs[/video]

Also, everybody in the crowd now has cancer.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Powershift posted:

Yeah, even with a 18,000lb truck pulling a 13000lb empty trailer i could usually outrun traffic. Guys do upgrade their trucks because more power makes for an easier day, more miles a day , and more money. You can also buy factory 605hp 16 liter trucks, and the macks/volvos are easily tuned to 685/735hp

these trucks are probably over 1000hp and 3000ft/lbs and are still put to work every day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IptV663j11E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny180iK8DKs

Also, everybody in the crowd now has cancer.

That's some nice twisting.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I realised today that it might be almost an entire month since the last time I was able to merge onto a highway at actual highway speed.

Look, I understand if you're driving a big truck or a crappy old car and can't get up to 100kph in time, nothing you can do about that. But if you're in a brand new Ford Falcon you can dam well do better than 70.

Maybe they're from Perth, where the 100kph signs aren't placed until right before the actual merge onto the freeway, and the police have recently been ticketing people for speeding on the on-ramps.

Yeah, I'm not making this up:
http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/was-top-cop-defends-speed-traps-targeting-motorists-joining-freeway-20160616-gpkjmy.html

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is there such a thing as parking dibs? I got home around 11 last night and there was a free parking space next to the apartment building, a bit further in the lane to the left there was an older A8, effectively double parking, with its parking lights on. It made reversing in the spot a bit awkward since I had to turn in from two lanes away, but doable without any issues.

As I'm getting my crap, a guy comes up and says that this was his spot because that car was his and he just went to throw out the trash or move another car or something. He wasn't in sight (or inside) of the car, and people often do double park like that here. At that point the car was off, the roof was up, and I was outside with my stuff so I told him sorry but it was free when I arrived so tough poo poo.

That was pretty much it, didn't escalate into an argument and he went off to park elsewhere eventually. But I was left wondering if I (or he) was an rear end in a top hat here. I guess if he was two swapping cars in the spot, but ehhh...

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

mobby_6kl posted:

Is there such a thing as parking dibs? I got home around 11 last night and there was a free parking space next to the apartment building, a bit further in the lane to the left there was an older A8, effectively double parking, with its parking lights on. It made reversing in the spot a bit awkward since I had to turn in from two lanes away, but doable without any issues.

As I'm getting my crap, a guy comes up and says that this was his spot because that car was his and he just went to throw out the trash or move another car or something. He wasn't in sight (or inside) of the car, and people often do double park like that here. At that point the car was off, the roof was up, and I was outside with my stuff so I told him sorry but it was free when I arrived so tough poo poo.

That was pretty much it, didn't escalate into an argument and he went off to park elsewhere eventually. But I was left wondering if I (or he) was an rear end in a top hat here. I guess if he was two swapping cars in the spot, but ehhh...

If you were able to park there without closing his door, and it seemed like a reasonable thing to do, don't worry about it.

This reminds me of a similar thing I saw this week. I'm walking through a parking lot and spaces were hard to come by. A lifted truck finds a spot in the front row and pulls wayyy out to set up for his four-point reverse turn. I knew what he was doing, but to everyone else behind him it looked like he was pulling up to the curb to wait on someone coming out of a store. His spot was sniped before he even reversed.

He's in a lifted truck, though, so of course he waves everyone else through so he can back up and argue his point with the person. I didn't wait around to see what happened, I was there to get a haircut and didn't want to get my spot in line sniped by another customer like that guy.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This was parallel parking situation, his door was closed and I didn't have to touch anything. I fired up Paint to make a diagram, realized that it's not really worth it, and then continued anyway because I'm bored at work and easily amused by Seinfeldesque arguments about parking:

So I guess if it doesn't look like the person is parking into that spot at the time, there can not be an intent to steal it, so whoever gets there first gets to keep the place. Sucks for this guy and for the bro truck bro.

I had a situation before when I was slowly driving down a street and saw somebody getting ready to leave, so I stopped nearby. As he left and I was pulling in, another guy flies up from across the street and claims it's his place since he was there waiting first. I'd need to make an extra point turn to properly fit in anyway which would be awkward so I left him have it that time.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
I'm sure I've asked this before but what the gently caress is up with people who think the best time to get into the right lane is while passing an on-ramp full of people who also want to get into that lane?
I was almost sideswiped this morning by an idiot who just had to be in the right lane right then. Nothing in the left lane in front of her, she didn't have to exit. Just wanted to get over NOW!

And do you think the bitch backed off when she realized somebody was already coming over?
Of course not!

And as I veered back to the right and slowed down because I was running out of lane, who do you suppose got the dirty look? Who was the rear end in a top hat in this situation?
Clearly, it was me.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

JBark posted:

Maybe they're from Perth, where the 100kph signs aren't placed until right before the actual merge onto the freeway, and the police have recently been ticketing people for speeding on the on-ramps.

Yeah, I'm not making this up:
http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/was-top-cop-defends-speed-traps-targeting-motorists-joining-freeway-20160616-gpkjmy.html

"Hoons have been driving over 100kph in 60 zones after leaving the highway."

***Arrests people accelerating to 100 on highway onramp to merge with traffic.

Yes, can't see anything wrong there. loving Perth - this is why we put it 3000kms from the civilised parts of the country.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm getting really sick and tired of douchenozzles who try to overtake on the right by cutting across the dashed lines at the end of an onramp.

I'm not even talking about using a long merge lane, or a combined onramp/offramp merge lane. I'm talking about your average onramp with a direct merge into the right lane. It happens at least once a month on my commute, when the traffic is a bit slow. I'm not even sure what the hell their idea is, since they'll be getting in front of me only to be stuck behind the next car.

I've gotten a huge number of middle fingers for just gentle shifting to the right and blocking their bullshit maneuvers. gently caress 'em, if they really want to overtake illegally, the should at least be brave/stupid enough to use the breakdown lane.

mobby_6kl posted:

This was parallel parking situation, his door was closed and I didn't have to touch anything. I fired up Paint to make a diagram, realized that it's not really worth it, and then continued anyway because I'm bored at work and easily amused by Seinfeldesque arguments about parking:

So I guess if it doesn't look like the person is parking into that spot at the time, there can not be an intent to steal it, so whoever gets there first gets to keep the place. Sucks for this guy and for the bro truck bro.

I had a situation before when I was slowly driving down a street and saw somebody getting ready to leave, so I stopped nearby. As he left and I was pulling in, another guy flies up from across the street and claims it's his place since he was there waiting first. I'd need to make an extra point turn to properly fit in anyway which would be awkward so I left him have it that time.

If he's not in the car and actively indicating, he hasn't "claimed the spot" in any way whatsoever. Take the spot, let him simmer in impotent rage and find somewhere else to park.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Any action that makes a brodozer pilot think "man, why the gently caress am I driving this stupid goddamn thing" is probably an OK action.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I got a pissy note on my car for parking in "their" space today; there are absolutely no space assignments in my apartment's parking lot and I happened to grab the shaded one next to the mailboxes instead of the one right in front of my door because I was only going to be home for a couple hours. At that point, it was necessary to leave the car there all weekend. And for all their rage I haven't seen anyone else in that space since I left it Sunday night.

stangman
Mar 13, 2003

While I wouldn't leave a note or do any passive aggressive poo poo, I can sympathize. I parked at work under a shaded tree for two full summers, then this year, after a couple times, some fuckface saw it and thought "that's a good idea!" and started parking there early in the morning. I don't start until 10:30 so I was just hosed at that point. The entire reason I give a gently caress is my dashboard can literally melt. It's not just a convenience issue, my ac cools my car down in like 5 seconds, but I want to keep the sun off the dash during the day and windshield screens suck. This prick has some old exploder that doesn't have any issues and just assimilated my spot (yes mine). If I was dying from cancer I'd burn their car to the pavement.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Did you ever talk to them? lol

Dude might have been cool with you parking there.

But now you're hot. Well, your dash

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
OH MY GOD MY DASHBOARD

Get a loving sun shade.

Or, just, like, loving talk to them. You're a child.

stangman
Mar 13, 2003

There's 1000 people that work there. I haven't even seen who it is yet. I did just start using some bullshit shade.

But seriously, if you see someone using a spot for weeks and you take it over all north korea style you're a loving prick.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's like literally the dumbest thing to get pissy over. Unless it's marked, you're being a petulant child.

If it's marked, go to town.

Hey, look. I found your vitals record after you looked at a jaywalker

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

What's funny is whoever it was mentioned my apartment number so they could've actually walked 60 feet and knocked and talked to me instead of writing a bitchy little note.

As I write this the space is still empty so it wasn't that important to them, clearly.

stangman
Mar 13, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

That's like literally the dumbest thing to get pissy over. Unless it's marked, you're being a petulant child.

If it's marked, go to town.

Hey, look. I found your vitals record after you looked at a jaywalker

Of course none of the spots are marked, except for handicapped. If you see someone using a spot for weeks and just decide to start using it, fine, perfectly legal I agree, but you're still perfectly an rear end in a top hat.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

stangman posted:

There's 1000 people that work there. I haven't even seen who it is yet. I did just start using some bullshit shade.

But seriously, if you see someone using a spot for weeks and you take it over all north korea style you're a loving prick.
What if they're new and have no idea that it was "your" spot? Especially if they come in earlier than you and may have never noticed it was always your car there when they left.

Even if they did, most cars don't melt in the sun, so they might not have thought it was a big deal to take it. Not everyone gets weirdly attached to "their" parking space, even if they happen to like one more than others.

stangman
Mar 13, 2003

Haifisch posted:

What if they're new and have no idea that it was "your" spot? Especially if they come in earlier than you and may have never noticed it was always your car there when they left.

Even if they did, most cars don't melt in the sun, so they might not have thought it was a big deal to take it. Not everyone gets weirdly attached to "their" parking space, even if they happen to like one more than others.
Certainly plausible, and also why I wouldn't do anything to their car or really even care that much to be honest. I'm just bitching online.

And right? Most cars don't melt in the sun, but 2008 altima coupes seem to (just the coupes), and nissan gives no fucks. Most of them were in super hot places like TX or FL but I'd still like to limit what it's exposed to if I can help it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Haifisch posted:

What if they're new and have no idea that it was "your" spot?

Surely the OP had pissed on the spot to mark it as his territory ?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
"It's been hot lately, hey look a tree. Shade would be nice to cool my car for when I finish work."

Pretty sure that's the entirety of the guy's thought process. Especially in a car park with 1000 spots. For someone who starts work before stangman even arrives.

I mean poo poo, can't expect people to be loving jedis about poo poo like this.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

stangman posted:

This prick has some old exploder

stangman posted:

my dashboard can literally melt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Some rear end in a top hat in advertising was parking his pickup in MY SPOT so I told the advertising director to tell him to cut that poo poo out. A few days later it was obvious my vehicle had been tampered with so I got together with my director, had a meeting with advertising, and then the prick wasn't allowed to park ANYWHERE in the parking lot, because I'd got him fired. Nobody snipes my spot :c00lbert:

The difference is that there's a raised pad designated for motorcycles. I usually park in the middle because nobody else rides and it pleases me to park in the middle. One morning I see this F250 parked on the pad, so I raised hell about it to his boss. rear end in a top hat apparently threw a fit about it saying it wasn't fair I should get special treatment because I ride a motorcycle. Few days later I walk out in the late afternoon and my bike is taking a nap. gently caress you guy, unemployment is too good for you, I shoulda done a wheelie on your balls.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Sep 13, 2016