Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I mean, okay, I'll play ball.

I think the twist is that there is no twist.

I think it's a red herring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Like, especially because this game is about communicating. Awesome to speculate upon twist. Genuinely. But since talking mafia is the raison d'etre, I think the *~*~*twist*~*~*~* is there simply to do exactly what you're doing with it.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
Hey everyone. We any closer to lynching somberero

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Propaganda Machine posted:

Like, especially because this game is about communicating. Awesome to speculate upon twist. Genuinely. But since talking mafia is the raison d'etre, I think the *~*~*twist*~*~*~* is there simply to do exactly what you're doing with it.

Maybe, or maybe I'm privvy to the twist?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Spiros posted:

Maybe, or maybe I'm privvy to the twist?

Spill, or else admit that you're full of it.

You wouldn't be breadcrumbing like this if it were pro-town.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
And by full of it, saying that it was an empty post full of words with no meaning, that's fine.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Prop, what is your definition of "fishing"?

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
Sorry if I seem really disconnected today guys. I was up til 4 packing last night to run away from a house we were being kicked out of, and am now at work.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

JimsonTheBetrayer posted:

Sorry if I seem really disconnected today guys. I was up til 4 packing last night to run away from a house we were being kicked out of, and am now at work.

:(

I'm sorry to hear that mate, hope things go better soon!

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

That sounds intense, Jimson. Good luck.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Thanks guys I am still gonna be posting and just noticed the vote count lol ##vote somberero

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Official Vote Count
Players needed to lynch: 4

Anon - 1 - Propaganda
Somber - 1 - Jimson
Spiros - 1 - Somber

Players not voting: Anon, Asiina, Glitch, Spiros

:siren: DEADLINE IS TODAY AT 5PM EASTERN :siren:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Okay everyone, I'm ready to vote.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Spiros posted:

Okay, everyone name one person you do want to hang and one person you don't want to hang in this game and briefly explain why.

I have more activities for the gang once I get my crayons back from my ex

I would hang glitch because I don't like his view on the questions that content creating strategies are garbage. What else are we supposed to do on day 1

I wouldn't hang pmach bc even though she's wrong for accusing me she has a decent reason. I do admit that my posting so far has been poo poo.

Spiros posted:

Question 2: Do you guys think the twist will be anti town or anti scum based on the open setup provided?

I think it would have to be anti-town bc it looks kinda like town would be OP. Unless this is a standard setup. Idk, I never play in games this small.

Spiros posted:

Question 3: If you were on a desert posting island and you could only talk to two posters in this thread about this game of mafia on penalty of death, who would you bring and why?
I would bring you diq bc you have good thought provoking questions. And I'd bring jimson bc he's fun to talk to about mafia bc he's like all our there and stuff.

Spiros posted:

Question 4: The twist is revealed to be that a vig is dropped and we have to vote on who gets shot mid day. Who do you push to get shot before the hang?
Based on my read (ie skim) I think glitch is scummiest.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Fair enough for now.

##unvote

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Spiros posted:

Prop, what is your definition of "fishing"?

Calling out people willy-nilly to amass evidence that may or may not have any real meaning. Take any given player, force them to name drop any other given player and declare reasons, times weird justifications, and I'm going to be side-eyeing anybody who tries to use any of these/those sound bytes as evidence when poo poo gets real.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Calling out people willy-nilly to amass evidence that may or may not have any real meaning. Take any given player, force them to name drop any other given player and declare reasons, times weird justifications, and I'm going to be side-eyeing anybody who tries to use any of these/those sound bytes as evidence when poo poo gets real.

I don't really get this. The point of content games is exactly to find strange answers that are either strange at the time to start up conversations or strange in retrospect. I mean yeah anything said in this game may or may not have any real meaning, but that's true of everything posted in a mafia game because mafia is dumb. Why are content games worse for this?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I want to ##vote Somber. He made a jokevote early on that concerned me because it could just as easily be mistaken for a real vote because he was actively pushing it, and he's still sitting on that vote.

Also Jimson made some good points that he reacted a little strangely to Jimson's gambit.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Asiina posted:

Jimson's gambit.

*Jimson's Gambit-u™

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I do not think Somber and Glitch are scum together.
What I see from Somber is someone being difficult at times but I would argue he is town because his approach, while perhaps at times overreaching and wrong, is the approach of someone looking to play mafia. I'm far from convinced he is town fully since he hasn't posted today but he's not a good vote for this cycle imo.

Asiina might be scum imo, she tagged along with the easy questions and hasn't participated since. It's easier for scum at the start but unlike somber I don't see any flags for a town player. Still, not the correct vote for today.

I got the feeling GlitchThief was afraid to engage earlier and he's been around but not "around" and on a short d1 with 7 players that is enough to justify a vote. But I hesitate to do so as his questions for Jimson and I were both legitimate. They didn't feel like scum barbs or questions meant to distract, they were pointed. I don't know this guy but I feel like he's town.

Jimson...I don't know how to read into what he posts, it's an enigma. I lean scum but he pulled at my heart strings and thus I wish him to live today.

That leaves Prop and Narc.

Prop has been very critical of my approach and thus colors my view of her posting but one thing she said in particular pinged me:

First read done.

Spiros is pinging me hard. It's not even content creation, it's outright goading.

Somebody remind me what that name change was? This poo poo is bananas.

Goading? This is not only a mischaracterization, it tells me that she didn't really read the thread. That I had to quote my questions for her after she had read and should have had a point of reference (only 5 pages of posts, cmon) also suggests a skim rather than a read yet she was willing to go on the offensive despite this lack of baseline knowledge. Her responses to my questions were also interesting in that she accuses me of fishing (or by my definition, asking questions) and basically doesn't want to answer my one question on the grounds that she believes it is "designed to suss out scumbros". This says to me that she's reading my questions and being careful how to respond to them rather than just responding to them. They weren't deep questions and they were primarily designed to get surface responses that I could use in a different way. I think she's the best vote right now.

Anarc also deserves a blurb here because she didn't play until very recently when she responded to my questions but I liked that post and she didn't actually sign up soooo

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

In mafia, fishing is usually referencing role fishing which I was certainly not doing. If you mean that I'm putting out bait to see who bites, to a degree, yes, I am, but just because I employ a surface technique that does not mean it is the only thing I am doing.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Asiina posted:

I want to ##vote Somber. He made a jokevote early on that concerned me because it could just as easily be mistaken for a real vote because he was actively pushing it, and he's still sitting on that vote.

Also Jimson made some good points that he reacted a little strangely to Jimson's gambit.

Can you elaborate?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
That last day of content was less helpful than I expected it to be. My gut still says spiros but that's probably not going to happen. I don't like the way glitchthief stepped out once the conversation shifted away from him. Now that I think about the only position of his that I can recall is on jimson, which should have experienced at least a little development in the past page or so.

I could also vote anarc. That was some pretty fluffy posting and I don't think that'll change anytime soon.

I gotta lot of work to catch up on but I'll be around.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Spiros put down the words for what was bothering me about Jimson, and it's "role fishing." That's what it seems like Jimson was doing, and I don't know why you'd do that, potentially publicaly outting roles to scum, unless you were also scum.

I'm voting accordingly.

##vote Jimson

Somberbrero posted:

Now that I think about the only position of his that I can recall is on jimson, which should have experienced at least a little development in the past page or so.

I don't know what you're looking for here. :shrug:

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Spiros posted:

Can you elaborate?

I'm a genius.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

GlitchThief posted:

Spiros put down the words for what was bothering me about Jimson, and it's "role fishing." That's what it seems like Jimson was doing, and I don't know why you'd do that, potentially publicaly outting roles to scum, unless you were also scum.

I'm voting accordingly.

##vote Jimson

I'm town so :shrug:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

GlitchThief posted:

I'm voting accordingly.

##vote Jimson

Doctor, please protect GT tonight.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

That's exactly what I'd expect scum to say.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Okay I gave it time and it seems to have simmered off.

Jimson Gambit-u DEACTIVATE.

I definently think asiina is town. She fought the accusations. Stayed engaged and after falling back into stride with the fact that it was just dumb Jimson being dumb she went back to ignoring me

I think Somberero may be scum. They latched onto my post where I called them rown. Ensuring it would be the first post of the next page and said something akin to "lol I could see cpig dk this." Then their insistance on scum hunting d1 with zero content reeks of scum trying to seem engaged so they can just coast to lylo.

I also have some pings from glitch thief because of the way they handled the accusations. Belaying blame and pushing it off into the ether rather than really addressing it... but eh I came into this game with a reputation. Do with this what you will.

jimson's case here isn't great but it seems honest. i can't imagine scum trying to make the case that scum-hunting is scummy. i think he's ascribing too much importance to a gambit that was clearly false but it's a case and he's trying.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I feel worse about Asiina now because she's doing that thing where she doesn't actually play as scum. I'd probably vote her before anarc.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

GlitchThief posted:

That's exactly what I'd expect scum to say.

poo poo I mean... uh... I'm scum?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

poo poo I mean... uh... I'm scum?

:monocle:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
spiros I'm trying to piece together why I'm not compelled by your case on Pmach but the short of it is that I am not.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Probably because I started it by saying "I'm biased" but hey, honesty etc

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Somberbrero posted:

I feel worse about Asiina now because she's doing that thing where she doesn't actually play as scum. I'd probably vote her before anarc.

This makes me angry and maybe I'm confirmation biasing here, but it makes me more confident in my Somber vote. This is total bullshit and Somber knows it. The meta he's talking about, which is completely outdated and irrelevant which I believe he knows, but is using anyway is that I don't post when I'm scum.

I'm running a forum reality game right now which has challenges that start at 8PM. Hey, I wonder when I stopped posting. Oh yeah, just before 8PM. That took up basically the entire rest of my evening and then I had poo poo to do this morning, got home at noon and got back to this game within 2 hours of getting home. Even if you didn't know all that, not posting for like 8 waking hours in a row after engaging with game content the entire time I was posting is not even close to "not playing" and is a lazy argument from Somber.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Asiina posted:

This makes me angry and maybe I'm confirmation biasing here, but it makes me more confident in my Somber vote. This is total bullshit and Somber knows it. The meta he's talking about, which is completely outdated and irrelevant which I believe he knows, but is using anyway is that I don't post when I'm scum.

I'm running a forum reality game right now which has challenges that start at 8PM. Hey, I wonder when I stopped posting. Oh yeah, just before 8PM. That took up basically the entire rest of my evening and then I had poo poo to do this morning, got home at noon and got back to this game within 2 hours of getting home. Even if you didn't know all that, not posting for like 8 waking hours in a row after engaging with game content the entire time I was posting is not even close to "not playing" and is a lazy argument from Somber.

I didn't know that but it explains what happened succinctly. Not voting for Asii today.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Spiros posted:

Can you elaborate?

I liked this part:

I think Somberero may be scum. They latched onto my post where I called them rown. Ensuring it would be the first post of the next page and said something akin to "lol I could see cpig dk this."

I think saying that Somber intentionally made it the top post of the page is going too far, but jumping at the chance to buy into someone saying your town is a little suspicious.

I was already feeling iffy about Somber's Diqnol vote, so in combination it was strong enough for me to vote off of.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Asiina posted:

Yeah because I've kept up with mafia really well in the past year and a half. I'm not talking about your posting frequency, I'm talking about posts like this.

Asiina posted:

What connection does any of this have to alignment? It almost sounds like a real post but I don't think it means anything.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Somberbrero posted:

Yeah because I've kept up with mafia really well in the past year and a half. I'm not talking about your posting frequency, I'm talking about posts like this.

What connection does any of this have to alignment? It almost sounds like a real post but I don't think it means anything.

The connection to alignment is that you made a joke vote in a small game where votes matter more and you kept bringing it up as if you were trying to push it like a real vote. Like, you stuck by it but had a joke reason. You're still sitting on that vote and I have no idea whether you actually believe Diqnol is scum. Being unclear about your thoughts on someone's alignment while still voting for them is scummy. It doesn't hold you to anything later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Asiina posted:

The connection to alignment is that you made a joke vote in a small game where votes matter more and you kept bringing it up as if you were trying to push it like a real vote. Like, you stuck by it but had a joke reason. You're still sitting on that vote and I have no idea whether you actually believe Diqnol is scum. Being unclear about your thoughts on someone's alignment while still voting for them is scummy. It doesn't hold you to anything later.

in what way have I been unclear about my thoughts on spiros?

Somberbrero posted:

i want to hang spiros because he scumclaimed! i want to hang the poo poo out of him!

Somberbrero posted:

ehh i mean you're also hamming it up a bit with the 'twist' discussion. there's really not much point in engaging that until it happens, no one should know anything. i dunno if you're just trying to stimulate discussion but it feels artificial. i guess that's the nature of trying to force discussion.

in regards to spiros content games

Somberbrero posted:

i already explained that. i know it's early but it's never too early to scumhunt. going through safe talking points that don't infer anything as to alignment is a way for scum to seem like they're producing content without putting down reads.

these are just a few examples. I don't understand what point you're trying to make at all. even if you were right and somehow my feelings about spiros were unclear, you're talking about a hypothetical situation in which spiros is lynched, flips town, and then i, as scum, duck culpability by saying 'aw shucks i was just having a goof.'

am i understanding that correctly?

• Locked thread