Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I have a 3DS but the hear-say about the BD series has scared me off. Stuff like Japanese idiosyncrasies that don't translate well in the West, a plot that hinges on everyone being a moron, and a Time Loop story-arc worse than Endless Eight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I hate it when a game has a robust mechanic like the Job System in Final Fantasy V, but you only get to experience a fraction of it across the game. You can gain around 70 different abilities in FFV but you can only equip one at a time, and a large number of them you'll only get through grinding for it's own sake. And then you'll switch to the boringly dressed Freelancer because they inherit every bonus with no drawbacks.

In hindsight it would have been neater if you could equip a second leveled job as a backup so you could utilise both their skill-sets.

You should play Penny Arcade's On the Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness part 3, it does the two jobs thing. Part 4 is different, but still good.

Heck, my problem with part 4 is that Vendorr is way too good, he pretty much is always on my team

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I somehow own all of the penny arcade games, but have never played any. Are they okay?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Geirskogul posted:

I somehow own all of the penny arcade games, but have never played any. Are they okay?

The first two are 3d adventure/RPGs with combat similar to Mario RPG in that it's based on timing.

The second two are snes styled RPGs I only played three and part of four.

They're enjoyable enough games though and worth playing at least once since they aren't very long.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Glad to see localization continues to be a blight upon gaming.

Its weird, PW is a franchise that generally embraces silly things like stale memes and California having Japan architecture and Maya loving hamburgers, in a way its part of the games charm, but stupid nonsense made up tumblr crap? Yea gently caress right off, so far its the only stupid thing I've spotted, hope it remains that way.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Alteisen posted:

Glad to see localization continues to be a blight upon gaming.

Its weird, PW is a franchise that generally embraces silly things like stale memes and California having Japan architecture and Maya loving hamburgers, in a way its part of the games charm, but stupid nonsense made up tumblr crap? Yea gently caress right off, so far its the only stupid thing I've spotted, hope it remains that way.

i feel like i need some context for this

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

BillmasterCozb posted:

i feel like i need some context for this

They said a word that people on tumblr say sometimes! The robocops are takin' over! It's political correctness gone mad!

Kiebland
Feb 22, 2012
"Microagressions," a term definitely coined on Tumblr and nowhere else.

For content, the lack of any sort of audio cue for collectibles in Resident Evil Revelations 2, especially for the insect larva. Looking for a small red cloud on a reddish wall in a dark room is a pain in the rear end.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

They said a word that people on tumblr say sometimes! The robocops are takin' over! It's political correctness gone mad!
Not even that, I'm pretty sure judging from that screenshot that the game is using it in the context of "LOL ISN'T PROGRESS ON SOCIAL ISSUES HILARIOUS?" So the dipshit whining about it being in the game didn't even realize that the localization team is on his side.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
if only we saw the whole scene instead of the singular picture

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Weird how robotic policemen are so into social justice.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tagichatn posted:

Weird how robotic policemen are so into social justice.

Weren't they all about cleaning up the streets?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice For #AllLivesMatter

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cleretic posted:

Bravely Default isn't perfect, but it does have a much meatier job system for that. There's some crazy death-combos in the way it lets you equip multiple passives.

It also gives the Freelancer job actually neat ways to contribute and be usedul, too.

Bravely Default's job system is great for anything you want. Have a cool idea of just stacking the skills that let you double, quadruple then passively double your punching power? Go for it. The game doesn't really restrict you a whole lot. The down side is that you wind up grinding way more than you do playing the story because the story is kind of balls and by the time you have a fun set up, you can basically one shot anything but the final and bonus bosses.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Homefront: The Revolution has a free weekend on Steam and while the core gameplay is a decent Far Cry-come-lately using "norks" as an epithet for the occupying North Korean forces is super cringeworthy and sounds like something out of a lovely sci-fi/fantasy book.

Also much like the Mad Max game it undermines its own premise by presenting a dire dystopian world where you're supposed to be struggling to survive and fighting a battle of attrition yet every map is polka-dotted with strongholds and supply points where you can stock your ammo and healing items so unless you go out of your way to play stupidly you're always rolling with a full inventory and plenty of backup.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Guy Mann posted:

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice For #AllLivesMatter

Someone kind of beat you to it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Alteisen posted:

:neckbeard: We got a live one here, folks! Please, tell us more about how gaming should be your personal safe space :neckbeard:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Man, any time I see things like this all I can think is "Boy, somebody got real assblasted over being called out for something"

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Yardbomb posted:

Man, any time I see things like this all I can think is "Boy, somebody got real assblasted over being called out for something"

"You mad, bro?" the internet troll asked, through gritted teeth and with steaming hot tears rolling down his face. "You mad?"

Anyway I'm playing Deadlight and I guess A) the voice direction is terrible, but mostly B) with a controller I can't really get fully articulated 360 aiming for some reason and kind of have to take some shots while the reticle is moving between two points. Also there was one set of tricky jumps out of the way of progress that just lead to some bullets instead of a collectable and that's just unconscionable.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Alteisen posted:

stupid nonsense made up tumblr crap

Oh. I thought you were posting this because of how lovely a joke it is. I guess we can both dislike it for our own reasons.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I find Hugh Mungus..not guilty

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I don't think I want to know the person who wants to see microaggression in an anime game regardless of how its used.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

Homefront: The Revolution has a free weekend on Steam and while the core gameplay is a decent Far Cry-come-lately using "norks" as an epithet for the occupying North Korean forces is super cringeworthy and sounds like something out of a lovely sci-fi/fantasy book.

Cheers for mentioning that, I didn't see it on the frontpage of steam at all and I wanted to try the game after a few patches because I understand it was a mess at launch.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Higsian posted:

I don't think I want to know the person who wants to see microaggression in an anime game regardless of how its used.

Yeah, how dare game writers use anything outside of your personal frame of reference when writing characters

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Somfin posted:

Yeah, how dare game writers use anything outside of your personal frame of reference when writing characters

Because they're usually pasty white guys too and not too good at writing even under the best circumstances and trying to write outside that makes them even worse?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Morglon posted:

Because they're usually pasty white guys too and not too good at writing even under the best circumstances and trying to write outside that makes them even worse?

We've seen the results of this attitude.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, I had no idea people had this harsh a reaction to psychiatrist words from the 70's. I thought everyone just hated Millennials and everything they did.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You engaged Roadhog, the up-close killing tank character with a shotgun, as McCree, the extremely-accurate high-damage mid-to-long-range pistol guy, by standing right next to him and trying to shoot real fast.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

FactsAreUseless posted:

You engaged Roadhog, the up-close killing tank character with a shotgun, as McCree, the extremely-accurate high-damage mid-to-long-range pistol guy, by standing right next to him and trying to shoot real fast.

No you see, what's really not fair is that Roadhog has an advantage, any character should be able to beat any character at any time.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Somfin posted:

But Naked Snake, Joel, Frank West and FBI Special Agent Francis York Morgan are all great though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Not my gameplay, I just posted the gif because how dare any character use a stun (Mcree)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Not my gameplay, I just posted the gif because how dare any character use a stun (Mcree)
Oh, okay. I thought you were complaining about Roadhog's stunning attack.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Yardbomb posted:

But Naked Snake, Joel, Frank West and FBI Special Agent Francis York Morgan are all great though.

Only one of those four was written by a white guy

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Then... why did you post them as examples of characters written by white guys? :psyduck:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Somfin posted:

Badly written characters?I dunno, you're trying to put that dude from Watch Dogs in the same category as that dude from critically acclaimed, commercial succes Ride to Hell:Retribution.

also, battlefield man, who's not an actual character.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

A White Guy posted:

Badly written characters?I dunno, you're trying to put that dude from Watch Dogs in the same category as that dude from critically acclaimed, commercial succes Ride to Hell:Retribution.

also, battlefield man, who's not an actual character.

What, Ian Battlefield? I'm pretty sure that's his name.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Kay Kessler posted:

Then... why did you post them as examples of characters written by white guys? :psyduck:

his point was more that there's too many white protagonists in games and that discouraging any attempt to write about other types of people's experiences are just gonna perpetuate that trend.

granted, some of those characters could be replaced with a poc lead and there wouldn't be an issue.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

In fact, just on that point, battlefield 4's main character doesn't have a main character, but the people who tell him to do stuff all game are a black guy and an asian chick :psyduck:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The graphic is dumb and there are too many boring white guys in games. Both can be true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The graphic is dumb and there are too many boring white guys in games. Both can be true

this.

some of those examples dont help the argument. shepherd is more of a player cipher since u can customize their looks, and painkiller is an arena fps and who gives a poo poo about the skin color of their forearms in those kinds of games?