Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Also Agate is a fun contrast with someone else you have in your party a bunch during that period, and it's a less fun dynamic with Schera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I found a typo in CS2!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

I found a typo in CS2!
there's a couple in the little sisters dance scene in CS1, too. Only typos I found in the whole game.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I got to Limestone Cave in Ys 6.

What the gently caress?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Gaius is king once he reaches level 78. A man capable of everything who is the best at one very powerful thing for hopefully a decent stretch before everybody else catches up and outclasses him again.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I picked up CSII at the game store today, but I haven't played any of the others.

People have said that I need to play CSI first, how true is that?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

I picked up CSII at the game store today, but I haven't played any of the others.

Extremely.

CS2 is basically the second part of the story and assumes at minimum you know who all these people are and what their situation is.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

The truest of true. Like, don't even read the manual or look at the inside cover true. You don't need to play trails in the sky first but you absolutely want to play Cold Steel 1 first or at least watch an LP or something. There's a plot summary in-game on the main menu but it's not really what you want to be coming off of or else most scenes will be lacking in impact.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well drat, I was hoping not to have to spend another $40 just to understand the game I just bought. I guess I'll just start on Memories of Celceta (also found it cheap today) and pick up CS1 next week.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Well drat, I was hoping not to have to spend another $40 just to understand the game I just bought. I guess I'll just start on Memories of Celceta (also found it cheap today) and pick up CS1 next week.

I don't want to pressure you or anything but if you're in the US Trails of Cold Steel is currently on sale on the PSN: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel/cid=UP1023-NPUB31759_00-EDSENNOKISEKIRLS

This week only though

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ImpAtom posted:

I don't want to pressure you or anything but if you're in the US Trails of Cold Steel is currently on sale on the PSN: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel/cid=UP1023-NPUB31759_00-EDSENNOKISEKIRLS

This week only though

'Fraid not, but thanks anyway. People have said it's a good game I think so I guess it'll be a nice experience to go through.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Are the references to Trails in the Sky anything that would give its plot away? I know someone answered that on here but I can't remember what.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
There is one moment in SC that will get spoiled early on in CS1. Otherwise, not really.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

having to race for ap bonuses in boss fights is kind of lame, don't actually get to see half of what they can do

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Question about the accessories the guests give you: When does this happen? I'm at the first bonding event and I have a choice between bonding with Toval for points, or with two other characters to fill out the book. Which should I do first playthrough?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

ApplesandOranges posted:

Well drat, I was hoping not to have to spend another $40 just to understand the game I just bought.

To avoid this problem in future, try to avoid buying games with titles than end in the number 2.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Bland posted:

To avoid this problem in future, try to avoid buying games with titles than end in the number 2.

System Shock 2
Just Cause 2
Diablo 2

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

CS2 does spoil the overall plot of SC during its intermission though.

Just play the games in order its more rewarding that way.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Justin_Brett posted:

I got to Limestone Cave in Ys 6.

What the gently caress?

if you're having a hard time you just need to get bigger numbers. it fuckin sucks but that's how ys 6 works, just fight the slimes near the entrance

if you got to the dark part and are getting the poo poo beat out of you by dark mystery adols, you need to go fight the bee miniboss in the field that's really not fun and what ended my nightmare playthrough

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zaggitz posted:

CS2 does spoil the overall plot of SC during its intermission though.

Just play the games in order its more rewarding that way.

Not entirely possible right now unfortunately.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

You know what I mean, dude.

Also just did the bonding events in Bareahard, Alfin rules.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Hivac posted:

if you're having a hard time you just need to get bigger numbers. it fuckin sucks but that's how ys 6 works, just fight the slimes near the entrance

if you got to the dark part and are getting the poo poo beat out of you by dark mystery adols, you need to go fight the bee miniboss in the field that's really not fun and what ended my nightmare playthrough

Yeah, that guy kills me in two hits as well even with the new armor.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Levantine posted:

Question about the accessories the guests give you: When does this happen? I'm at the first bonding event and I have a choice between bonding with Toval for points, or with two other characters to fill out the book. Which should I do first playthrough?

Beginning of chapter 2. Specific dates: It happens on 12/15. Along the way Toval and Claire have one notebook bonding event each and Sharon has two, but at the end of Ch.1, Pt.3 (12/9) there's a special event that lets you give 600 exp to anyone you choose. Sharon's second notebook event is AFTER that on the 3rd free day (12/12) so mentally tag +500 on to her exp if you're trying to get someone else's item.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Justin_Brett posted:

Yeah, that guy kills me in two hits as well even with the new armor.

Yeah, I'm afraid that the only answer for you might be "get bigger numbers". that dude's attacks are really stupid to dodge. If you're playing on the mode that lets you use items in boss fights, I'd stock up as much as possible on those too

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

lets hang out posted:

having to race for ap bonuses in boss fights is kind of lame, don't actually get to see half of what they can do

You can ignore all of those AP bonuses and then some for max rank. Usually, it doesn't even shift when you're getting your rewards by ignoring them. Do them if you find it fun, but otherwise you can safely pretend they don't exist.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

lets hang out posted:

Beginning of chapter 2. Specific dates: It happens on 12/15. Along the way Toval and Claire have one notebook bonding event each and Sharon has two, but at the end of Ch.1, Pt.3 (12/9) there's a special event that lets you give 600 exp to anyone you choose. Sharon's second notebook event is AFTER that on the 3rd free day (12/12) so mentally tag +500 on to her exp if you're trying to get someone else's item.

Is it possible to get all 3 items on a first playthrough? What rank do you have to get your link to?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Levantine posted:

Is it possible to get all 3 items on a first playthrough? What rank do you have to get your link to?

You can only get one item and for me, Link Level 3 was enough.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It'll be the character with the highest exp above level 3 (2000 points).

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 10, 2016

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
What's the best guest accessory to go for if I just want to break the game as hard as possible on my second nightmare playthrough?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

evilalien posted:

What's the best guest accessory to go for if I just want to break the game as hard as possible on my second nightmare playthrough?

Sharon's.

Sharon gives you a equippable Zeus Gem which massively increases your ability to delay enemies if you stack it on Rean with the Zeus Gem/Impede/ect. Add in a speed boost and Rean will be pretty trivially able to stunlock anything that isn't the final boss.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

evilalien posted:

if you are doing 2 playthroughs tho, you might as well get Toval's on one run to make Emma turbo fast at casting. The one Toval equips cuts his time by half but the one he gives you cuts it by 2/3

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Yeah with two playthroughs, I'll make sure to get both. Those both sounds pretty useful.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I downloaded a bunch of free shining pom sets in Cold Steel 1. If I just want to breeze through the game should I use them now or later? How much exp do they give? Why does it cost money now to enable metal slimes in RPGs? Tales games have direct level booster DLCs. Why have DLC to enable monsters that give you free exp? Seems like pointless extra step.

Lord Ephraim fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 10, 2016

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Lord Ephraim posted:

I downloaded a bunch of free shining pom sets in Cold Steel 1. If I just want to breeze through the game should I use them now or later? How much exp do they give? Why does it cost money now to enable metal slimes in RPGs?

Use them once you reach the final dungeon when you stop getting a lot of experience because they only give 1 level per bait. Use them in the first floor of the schoolhouse though if you want to make the fights quick and easy.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So for those that have already played and finished CS2. Are there certain final special bonding events that are better than others? Just asking because a choice has come up that will help determine which ones I see.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Some Numbers posted:

You can only get one item and for me, Link Level 3 was enough.

Ah, ok, got it. What does Claire give you?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

Ah, ok, got it. What does Claire give you?

An item that boosts accuracy and crit. It sucks.

theblackw0lf posted:

So for those that have already played and finished CS2. Are there certain final special bonding events that are better than others? Just asking because a choice has come up that will help determine which ones I see.

For at least some of the ladies the final bonding event determines who your romantic partner is in a very unambiguous sense.

Specto
Jun 28, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

if you are doing 2 playthroughs tho, you might as well get Toval's on one run to make Emma turbo fast at casting. The one Toval equips cuts his time by half but the one he gives you cuts it by 2/3

Sadly, it says it only reduces casting time by a third, like the Diabolos Gem. Still a significant cast time reduction though

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I got up to the boss of Limestone Cave and he kills me in two hits. So I leveled up to 40...and now he kills me in three hits.

I quit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm in Roer in CS2.

Goddamn, Angelica is still completely awesome.