Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh, I just unlocked vanilla flavor juice in Realm Grinder in R16 while doing an evil merc build. I thought I remember reading you were supposed to be Fairies to get that? Oh well, neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

a messed up horse posted:

Huh, I just unlocked vanilla flavor juice in Realm Grinder in R16 while doing an evil merc build. I thought I remember reading you were supposed to be Fairies to get that? Oh well, neat.

Nah, VFJ is actually pretty easy to get. If you're thinking fairy-requiring artifacts, that might be Pink Carrot or Bottled Voice. Side note: gently caress Bottled Voice.

Setting aside the quest artifacts, and the pair of lore artifacts for each faction, all of which have various complicated requirements, we're left with the following. Almost all of these unlock special upgrades of their own. (Chocolate cookie doesn't do anything special, and rough stone is a requirement to unlock the research D290 but doesn't directly offer an upgrade otherwise.)

In particular, KYE and VFJ unlock some very, very nice upgrades for the R where you can first get them (12 and 16, respectively).

- Rough Stone: Can only happen on the very first excavation of an abdication (or reincarnation). Flat 2% chance. (Abdicate, excavate 1x, repeat.)
- Scarab of Fortune: Must be neutral because building. % chance is # of ancient pyramids / 1000 (e.g. 1.5% chance if 1500 pyramids).
- Chocolate Cookie: % chance is # of excavations / 50 (e.g. 16% chance if 800 excavations).
- Fossilized Rodent: % chance is # of treasure clicks this reincarnation / 5 million (e.g. 0.2% chance if 1 million clicks). Emphasis that it's clicks this reincarnation, not clicks this abdication.
- Power Orb: Must have 3000+ max mana. % chance is max mana / 15k (e.g. 0.5% chance if 7.5k max mana).
- Voodoo Doll: Must be evil because building. % chance is # of witch conclaves / 10k (e.g. 0.25% chance if 2.5k witch conclaves).
- Know Your Enemy, Part I: Must be R12+. Must be mercs. Must have at least one upgrade from each of the 11 factions (same sort of build as to get Harlequin trophy). Flat 10% chance.
- Vanilla Flavor Juice: Must be R16+. Can only happen if excavating in the first 5 minutes of an abdication. Flat 20% chance.
- Wall Fragment: Must be R40+ (aka ascension). Flat 10% chance.

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Trying to play infiniroad while intoxicated. I think I may develop motion sickness.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I got the last relic in infniroad and now it's all over till an update. It was actually pretty cool game.

I was playing Factory Idle for a while but a bug causing an upgrade cost 1000% more than it is suppose to has preventing me from continuing on till it is fixed.

For now I'm out of idle games since I just can't get back into RG with the new graphics and interface. I tried.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I've been able to ignore the graphics pretty well, and after I got used to the interface it's not too bad (there are several options you can use to customize it to behave similarly in several ways to the old interface). If nothing else it's heavily redeemed by the Buy All button for upgrades. I still think it was a pointless waste of time, resources, and player goodwill, but what's done is done.

At this point though, the issue is more that the game still hasn't released a meaningful content update in the better part of a year, and they no longer have the graphics and interface project as an excuse.

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Digital Jedi posted:

I got the last relic in infniroad and now it's all over till an update. It was actually pretty cool game.

I was playing Factory Idle for a while but a bug causing an upgrade cost 1000% more than it is suppose to has preventing me from continuing on till it is fixed.

For now I'm out of idle games since I just can't get back into RG with the new graphics and interface. I tried.

Which relic is the last?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
The key. I believe it drops at zone 100k. It unlocks 'challenge mode' but that hasn't been released.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I don't think this one has popped up in the thread:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/Veterum/lazy-kings

It's pretty simple at first, but after you defeat the Orcs, look in the upper right hand corner and you'll see a new icon. You can then start playing as a different race with very different mechanics. Then eventually you unlock a third and a fourth race, each with unique rules.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Digital Jedi posted:

I just can't get back into RG with the new graphics and interface. I tried.

Same. I tried multiple times to play RG again after the graphics update but its not sticking with me. I am even at R39 and not that far away from ascension.

Vil posted:

At this point though, the issue is more that the game still hasn't released a meaningful content update in the better part of a year, and they no longer have the graphics and interface project as an excuse.

Realm Grinder already has more content, innovation and gameplay than multiple other idle games, combined. I am not sure why everyone feels so entitled to get more content in RG yet at the same time play AdCap or similar games completely devoid of any gameplay or innovation.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It's pretty simple at first, but after you defeat the Orcs, look in the upper right hand corner and you'll see a new icon. You can then start playing as a different race with very different mechanics. Then eventually you unlock a third and a fourth race, each with unique rules.

I'm playing this one, it's great so far. One crucial thing the game doesn't explain is that you get to spend your achievement points on rewards (which are game-changing) when you start a new game.

edit: also I just now figured out that you can cycle through a bunch of options on the trade post, I thought it was weird that there was nothing to spend gold on.

Edly fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 8, 2016

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

Realm Grinder already has more content, innovation and gameplay than multiple other idle games, combined. I am not sure why everyone feels so entitled to get more content in RG yet at the same time play AdCap or similar games completely devoid of any gameplay or innovation.

Probably because RG itself set the expectation from its very own pace of innovation and updates. To have that suddenly run dry is a disappointment, even if we ignore the interface/graphics update. Pretty much every game stops being updated eventually, sure, and I'd still recommend RG to people who enjoy idlers but haven't played it.

Also be a bit careful with your blanket assumptions of who plays what, and what they're complaining about. I can only speak for myself of course (good policy), but I might temporarily investigate or dabble in either a new game (e.g. Infiroad) or a game in a clear no-more-updates state (e.g. Shark Game, Mine Defense, SwarmSim). The games I stick with though, are the ones that actually receive new content on a regular basis, such as Trimps or (until earlier this year) RG. RG has since been demoted to "check in on every now and then, to see if they've actually done anything".

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ineptitude posted:

Because I don't. RG was the only idle game I stuck with long-term, until I quit before the graphics update and there's been no reason to come back since.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Edly posted:

I'm playing this one, it's great so far. One crucial thing the game doesn't explain is that you get to spend your achievement points on rewards (which are game-changing) when you start a new game.

edit: also I just now figured out that you can cycle through a bunch of options on the trade post, I thought it was weird that there was nothing to spend gold on.

It's also a very slow burn in the beginning. And no way to sell buildings as far as I can tell so if you did something stupid, welp, you're stuck with some unbalanced resource load!

That said, I'm at fighting orcs and fighting is finally automated so we'll see what happens when I get back home.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

How do I use gold?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Click the right side of the trade post box. It'll flip between buying or selling one of your available resources. You are best off leaving it on selling food until you can build Knights and then switch it to buying weapons or stone to help that out. Eventually fighting will unlock a new resource that's not producible so you'll switch the trade post to buy that. Or not, it's of questionable worth at the point I'm at.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

Click the right side of the trade post box. It'll flip between buying or selling one of your available resources. You are best off leaving it on selling food until you can build Knights and then switch it to buying weapons or stone to help that out. Eventually fighting will unlock a new resource that's not producible so you'll switch the trade post to buy that. Or not, it's of questionable worth at the point I'm at.

The books are actually really good, because once you build a monastery it's like the trade post, in that it gives you a bunch of resource tradeoff options, one of which is a new unit type that makes combat much easier.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
For Lazy Kings, every time you get a new building, click on the resource on the right side, and as you progress, revisit old buildings to see if new options pop up.
You won't get very far as elves if you don't do this.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I want to like Lazy Kings but with no offline income it's annoying to deal with resource bottlenecks.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Because I don't. RG was the only idle game I stuck with long-term, until I quit before the graphics update and there's been no reason to come back since.

I could have been more accurate in my statement. I was talking in general, i see a lot of people wanting more content for RG yet virtually no one asking for more content in AdCap. Both of these games are very popular. One of them has tons of content, huge replayability and lots of varied gameplay. The other has little change to gameplay and is samey from the first time you click a button.

I too want more content for RG since i enjoy(ed) the game (until the graphics update) but at this point it would be more of a bonus than an expectation. There is already a lot of content in the game.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 9, 2016

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Ineptitude posted:

I could have been more accurate in my statement. I was talking in general, i see a lot of people wanting more content for RG yet virtually no one asking for more content in AdCap. Both of these games are very popular.

That's because the devs of AdCap are only doing events for it any more and attempting to branch out to new games. Also because AdCap is actually really shallow and only got popularity for having really slick presentation and a satisfying beginning. A low bar brings out low expectations, who knew?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Ineptitude posted:

I could have been more accurate in my statement. I was talking in general, i see a lot of people wanting more content for RG yet virtually no one asking for more content in AdCap. Both of these games are very popular.

I too want more content for RG since i enjoy(ed) the game (until the graphics update) but at this point it would be more of a bonus than an expectation. There is already a lot of content in the game.

AdCap has always been a low-effort cookie clicker clone with barely any content that would have been forgotten overnight if it hadn't gotten out at the front of the "offline progress" train. Nobody cares if it has content updates because it never had any meaningful content in the first place -- a "content" update would just be "yeah we added another x3 production upgrade that costs 1000x as many angels as the previous one did".

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

I am just annoyed that AdCap gets the amount of attention it does while much more interesting (subjective) games sometimes barely reach critical mass to continue to attract or keep players.

When developers see the popularity of AdCap they will just clone that game (already happened several times) instead of making more innovative games in a genre that still has a lot of potential innovation left.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Ineptitude posted:

I am just annoyed that AdCap gets the amount of attention it does while much more interesting (subjective) games sometimes barely reach critical mass to continue to attract or keep players.

When developers see the popularity of AdCap they will just clone that game (already happened several times) instead of making more innovative games in a genre that still has a lot of potential innovation left.

To be fair this happens in literally every genre and every medium, ever.

Not that it makes it ok.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Lazy Kings talk:

Fighting is a little poorly explained, how does it work? There's the crossed swords symbol to toggle between green and red, and a toggle between a green arrow pointing up, and a red arrow pointing down. What do they do? I've built 2 castles but I think someone said progression was gated behind the combat.

edit: now I've got a plus and shield symbol to toggle and I still don't know what any of it does.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oenis posted:

Lazy Kings talk:

Fighting is a little poorly explained, how does it work? There's the crossed swords symbol to toggle between green and red, and a toggle between a green arrow pointing up, and a red arrow pointing down. What do they do? I've built 2 castles but I think someone said progression was gated behind the combat.

edit: now I've got a plus and shield symbol to toggle and I still don't know what any of it does.
The arrows adjust the enemy level, the shield means you'll fight only when you wouldn't suffer a loss, and the plus means you'll automatically fight the largest enemy.

Really I've just been clicking the swords when the timer hits 0 and using the arrows manually because yeah, it's poorly explained.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Evil Mastermind posted:

The arrows adjust the enemy level, the shield means you'll fight only when you wouldn't suffer a loss, and the plus means you'll automatically fight the largest enemy.

Really I've just been clicking the swords when the timer hits 0 and using the arrows manually because yeah, it's poorly explained.

If you hover over something at the very top is a tooltip box! It does tell you what things do. It doesn't tell you that you can click the right side of buildings to toggle them off, or for the trading post that it toggles buying and selling different things.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

pixaal posted:

If you hover over something at the very top is a tooltip box! It does tell you what things do. It doesn't tell you that you can click the right side of buildings to toggle them off, or for the trading post that it toggles buying and selling different things.

Oh, thanks. Guess my monitor is too small so I never saw that there actually are tooltips.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

There's a tutorial button in the main menu that sort of runs through the basic controls but everything is poorly explained. I didn't even realize I had unlocked orcs as an option until I noticed there was an icon at the top-right corner much later.

I got to the Undead and after fiddling with it for about an hour, I gave it up. It does something interesting with the expanding of options and giving the races different resource loops but ultimately it boils down to the same "get mans to fight things." And once you get near the end of the content, there's little incentive to keep progressing. Undead don't have synergistic achievements at the moment, unfortunately, and while I didn't see all their buildings I stopped caring.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Lazy kings is interesting and has some neat things but its pretty short for the average idle addict

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
The Lazy Kings dev posted this morning:

quote:

I'm planning to do a big update with more achievement rewards and ways to get achievement points, which will make restarting more rewarding. I envision that at some point it will be possible to get 59 achievement points and reduce the battle timer to 1 second. I'll also buff mini horses and OSHA which are nearly useless.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Whats a good iOS clicker game? I've been playing Clicker Heroes but since playing Realm Grinder, everything feels like a turd in comparison gameplay-wise. That and something about the art style in CH is kinda obnoxious but its not like RG had anything better.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
What's a good point to begin a new game in Lazy Kings? I wish there were some clearer indicated goals. I'm up to ents with elves, my humans paladins have been fighting demons for a while, and orcs still have elves as their highest enemy - I think the last thing that unlocked were workshops. Where do I go from here?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Oenis posted:

What's a good point to begin a new game in Lazy Kings? I wish there were some clearer indicated goals. I'm up to ents with elves, my humans paladins have been fighting demons for a while, and orcs still have elves as their highest enemy - I think the last thing that unlocked were workshops. Where do I go from here?

5 Achievement points is enough to get the good stuff for each race I'd say.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Yeah, you want all their titled stuff. 4 or 5 for the new race is about right.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Oenis posted:

You're about to the point where you should stop playing til it updates. You only have a couple left with elves and the last race is a huge pain to play.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

dis astranagant posted:

You're about to the point where you should stop playing til it updates. You only have a couple left with elves and the last race is a huge pain to play.

Undead seems like it'd be really powerful if you could get your battle time down to 10 seconds. Half of the stuff procs on battles.
Any idea on what the point of mummies are? They seem like a crap version of liches.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Undead seems like it'd be really powerful if you could get your battle time down to 10 seconds. Half of the stuff procs on battles.
Any idea on what the point of mummies are? They seem like a crap version of liches.

Right now it's literally impossible to get your battle time down below about 50 seconds. Next update might change that. I gave up about the time I got liches, it just didn't feel worth my time.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Avocados posted:

Whats a good iOS clicker game? I've been playing Clicker Heroes but since playing Realm Grinder, everything feels like a turd in comparison gameplay-wise. That and something about the art style in CH is kinda obnoxious but its not like RG had anything better.

I've never found a really good mobile clicker game. They're all built around microtransactions, so they're very carefully balanced to be a drip feed of numbers slowly going up and not crazy swings like Realm Grinder or Infiroad.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Wow, uh, Lazy Kings sure has some graphics, there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Sage Grimm posted:

Yeah, you want all their titled stuff. 4 or 5 for the new race is about right.

Comments from the dev indicate that he is aware achievements that aren't decrease the timer need a buff as they are garbage in comparison in the mid and late game. I think they are nice, but not against min maxing.

Dev seems active, its really light on content I'd call it more of a teaser or sample of what the realm grinder killer will be.

It's not like it's hard to add a month worth of content to an idle game if you need to keep players add some long grind perks that will be easier to get as you add more early game content or races.

In theory the game could have dozens of races and minor achievements where they all interact being key but adding a new race seems like the most time intensive thing he could do. Easier would be achievement fluff where no graphic assets are needed it gets tiered.