Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

The thing that made me realize what Ace Attorney truly is wasn't the fact that the parrot was brought in for cross examination. It was that von Karma actually expected that to happen and retrained the parrot.

I thought it was just that they forgot to say 'Polly, have we forgotten anything', and instead just said 'have we forgotten anything?'. Wasn't it established earlier on that she won't talk if you don't address her by name?

E: nvm I went back and looked, Maya remembered to ask, good lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I am really getting tired of Von Karma's shtick. The inevitable downfall had better happen soon.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
So Von Karma has a granddaughter. Assuming it wasn't a hypothetical for the sake of the argument, is there then a Mrs. Von Karma? I can't imagine a person like him successfully romancing someone.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

YggiDee posted:

So Von Karma has a granddaughter. Assuming it wasn't a hypothetical for the sake of the argument, is there then a Mrs. Von Karma? I can't imagine a person like him successfully romancing someone.

Who says romance was involved? Probably some sort of marriage of convenience.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

YggiDee posted:

He badgered her until she married him because he cannot fail and is a weird, obsessive jerk.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The divorce proceedings are spoken of in hushed tones by those who know of them.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

YggiDee posted:

To be honest, I don't think he's dumb enough to blurt out his actual bank pin either.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I forgot about Manfred's line about a granddaughter.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

YggiDee posted:

Parthenogenesis.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Air is lava! posted:

To be honest, I don't think he's dumb enough to blurt out his actual bank pin either.

It'd be kind of hilarious if this case ended with him waking up the next day to find that his bank account was zeroed out.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Regalingualius posted:

It'd be kind of hilarious if this case ended with him waking up the next day to find that his bank account was zeroed out.

Account Balance: $0001

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Mors Rattus posted:

: Mr. Wright... I think we've established that this parrot is named "Polly."

You're missing an image here.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

fractalairduct posted:

You're missing an image here.

whoops, accidentally cropped out the top screen!

Fixed.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Woof. And here we are, in ultimate crunch time. One day, no time to investigate, no way to gather evidence. Except for one thing.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The fact that elevators aren't airtight in the real world and thus Yanni Yogi should not have suffered from oxygen deprivation?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

IAmTheRad posted:

The fact that elevators aren't airtight in the real world and thus Yanni Yogi should not have suffered from oxygen deprivation?

Eh, if there was rubble involved in why the elevator was stuck, maybe. Or just people panicking and hyperventilating.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Edgeworth, this isn't the time to fall on your sword, you ungrateful shitba- Wait, did Phoenix not even bother telling him that von Karma set this up? Screw it, they deserve to squirm.

Actually, I want to see Edgeworth :smuggo: skewer von Karma from the stand. That would be anime enough to go out on here.

Malah fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 12, 2016

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

HenryEx posted:

von Karma is usually extremely thorough. There's a reason for his famed perfect record. Dude doesn't take any chances.

Look at this. He knew this would happen. He's been training Edgeworth for a long time, and knows exactly how he ticks.

You misunderstand.

He doesn't just know Edgeworth. He trained Edgeworth to do this, just in case.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

IAmTheRad posted:

Here, go get a straw and plug up your nose. You're only allowed to breathe through the straw now. Since it's not airtight you should be fine.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm sure court elevators in Japanifornia are built to suffocate all defense attorneys in an emergency just in case.

Malah
May 18, 2015

That's von Karma's backup plan if this trial went south.

C. Everett Koop posted:

ARREST THE loving :parrot: ALREADY GUMSHOE YOU KNOW IT'S GUILTY AS gently caress
OH poo poo THE :parrot: IS GETTING AWAY

EllipsisBreak
Mar 1, 2015
I don't think von Karma tampered with the parrot. Look back at the last update of the day 2 investigation. Phoenix and Maya stumble across Polly's DL-6 message right in front of Yogi, and then he locks them out of the shop as quickly as he can get away with. Yogi retrained the parrot, right then and there. Probably panicked too.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I choose to believe von Karma was responsible. :colbert:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's generally assumed that Manfred retrained the parrot because he's a severe perfectionist who considers 99.999% of all possibilities when it comes to cases.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

It's generally assumed that Manfred retrained the parrot because he's a severe perfectionist who considers 99.999% of all possibilities when it comes to cases.

The 0.001% being Larry then?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Stephen9001 posted:

The 0.001% being Larry then?

There's just no accounting for Larry.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 4 - Turnabout Goodbyes
Trial (Day 4) - Part 3

: For fifteen years... I have had a recurring dream. A nightmare... it's only a nightmare. That's what I told myself.

: But now I know, it wasn't a dream. Yanni Yogi wasn't the killer.
: You mean... in the incident where your father died?
: From the distance of the shot, it wasn't suicide, either. Everything was as clear as day. The murderer...
: The criminal in the DL-6 Incident...
: It was me! Your Honor! I confess my guilt! I am guilty for DL-6, the statute of limitations of which ends today!

: Order! Order!
: This is certainly unexpected! The defendant, declared innocent, is confessing to a different crime!
: A crime for which the statute of limitations runs out today!
: I'm not really sure how I should deal with this...
: Bah! It's obvious. We hold a trial. Right here. Right now.

: We try this man for his crime of fifteen years ago!

: I think... I think I would like to take a five-minute recess. During this time, I will consider the appropriate course of action to take.
: Court is adjourned!

: I've just wasted all of your effort.
: ... Mr. Edgeworth... I just don't believe it, pal! I mean, you... kill your dad?
: I didn't want to believe it myself, Detective!
: But... it's the truth. I deserve to be punished.
: Murder is murder, no matter what the circumstances.
: This is crazy! Just crazy!
: ...
: ...? Nick? What are you doing?
: Huh? Oh... I was just reading through the Court Record once more. I'm getting my case ready.
: Your case... for what?
: Huh? Isn't it obvious? I'm going to prove that Miles Edgeworth is innocent.

: ...! Wh-what are you talking about, pal! He just admitted to it!

: He confessed that he did it! In court!
: I'm sorry, Edgeworth. But I don't believe your "nightmare."
: Wh-what!?
: It's just a dream. It's not real. The truth is right here in this Court Record. In any case, tighten your belts. The real fight is just beginning. I'll prove you're innocent. Trust me.
: W-Wright...

: Then, I would like to resume our trial.
: Judge!
: Miles Edgeworth has admitted his own guilt. He has confessed his crime. Let us begin by hearing his testimony.
: Then, though pointless, let the defense do their cross-examining. The statute of limitations on the DL-6 Incident runs out today. Though it's unconventional for me, I'd like to run this one by the book.
: I see. Does the defense have any objections?

: No, Your Honor. (von Karma... you knew this was going to happen from the very beginning, didn't you!)

: Very well.

: Will Miles Edgeworth take the stand?

: Will the witness state his name and profession.
: Miles Edgeworth... I am a prosecuting attorney.
: Mr. Edgeworth. Fifteen years ago, you mistakenly killed your father, Gregory Edgeworth.
: Is this correct?
: ... It is correct.
: Then testify about this matter to the court.
: (When Edgeworth was telling me about his dream yesterday I noticed something... One detail didn't quite fit.)
: (That will be the key... but only if I can get it to work!)
: Please... Please...

: Hmm...
: And until now, you thought this memory was a "dream"?
: We were stuck in that elevator for five hours. The oxygen in the elevator ran out, and I lost my memory of the events.
: Bah! The same claim Mr. Yogi has made!
: Very well.
: Mr. Wright? Your cross-examination, please.
: Yes, Your Honor.

: What was the trial your father was involved in on that day?
: I don't remember things very clearly. Only two things...
: I know my father lost, and Mr. von Karma was the prosecuting attorney.

: Mr. von Karma? You were handling that case?
: It was fifteen years ago. I don't remember the details.
: (That was when Edgeworth pointed out the problem in von Karma's evidence...)

: So, there were three people including yourself trapped in that elevator?
: Yes. Myself, my father, and Yanni Yogi.
: We were fine at first...
: But then as time passed, and no one came to help...

: What did you do then?
: I was a nine-year old boy at the time. What could I do? I was scared... Trembling, in the corner.
: But then...

: What was it?
: A pistol.
: I assume it was the bailiff, Yanni Yogi's. The safety must have come off when it fell from his holster.
: And you picked it up. What happened next?

: Did you know it was a pistol when you threw it?
: I think I knew. I knew it was dangerous.
: But... the air was getting so thick. I panicked.

: So, you're saying that you threw the pistol at Mr. Yogi.
: I was... in a daze.

: The gun fired once?
: Yes... I think... after I threw it, I lost consciousness. Since then...
: They've echoed in my head, every day. That gunshot and that horrible scream.
: The scream...

: "To this day"...?
: Yes. I can practically hear it now.
: I doubt I will ever forget that scream as long as I live.
: (There it is! One part of that testimony clearly contradicts the evidence...)
: (But I don't know what it means...! I'd better find out, and quick...)

And we loop. Can you spot the contradiction?

: Are you sure you only heard one gunshot?
: Yes. I'm sure of that. I heard the shot, and the scream...
: Then everything faded. I was unconscious until the rescuers came.
: I see...

: But that doesn't make sense!

: This plainly contradicts the witness's testimony.

: You do enjoy dragging out that file, don't you?
: I don't accept this evidence! Unless... you can tell us what page it's on!

The wrong answers aren't interesting at all, sadly.

: Look at the "Victim Data" in this file!

: It says it quite plainly: "the murder weapon was fired twice"!

: Miles Edgeworth only heard one gunshot!
: Yet, the murder weapon was fired twice! The first shot was the accidental firing when the pistol was thrown.

: Was there, perhaps, another shooter who fired that second shot?

: Your Honor. As I'm sure you're aware... This incident occurred fifteen years ago. The evidence is dated...
: The pistol did fire twice. However, we do not know WHEN that second shot was fired.

: It might have been fired the day before the incident!

: There is no proof that the second shot had anything to do with this incident!
: (What...!)
: Hmm... I see, I see.
: You do have a point. Mr. Wright?
: The murder weapon was fired twice, as we have heard. One of those shots was fired by the defendant, a boy at the time.

: (Grr... I didn't think of that.) I, uh, don't have proof.
: Hah! As I suspected!
: Given that all this happened fifteen years ago, it's doubtful any proof remains.
: Nick! Take a look at this!
: The Court Record...?
: Look... doesn't this make you think...
: Wh-whoa! (She's right! That is strange!)

Which leaves us where the other option starts.

: Your Honor. I think I will be able to show you proof.
: Wh-what!? Impossible!
: Now, now, Mr. von Karma. Save your surprise for after you've seen the evidence.

: Very well, Mr. Wright. Show us your proof.

: I can see that the victim lying there is Gregory Edgeworth...
: This proves the murder weapon was fired twice, at the time of the incident!
: This photo proves it!
: ...
: ... So, let me get this straight. This photo proves two shots were fired? Where?
: (Y-Your Honor, please... Please get a clue!)

: As should be obvious, the contradiction is here.
: I see... a bullet hole in the door...

: Your Honor!

: Yet, there is also a bullet hole in the elevator door! We also know that the murder weapon was fired twice!
: Thus...

: O-order! Order!
: Mr. Wright! What are you driving at?
: It's simple, Your Honor.
: At the time of the incident, two shots were fired.

: The other hit the elevator door.

: Remember that the defendant lost consciousness after the shot he fired rang out. In conclusion...
: We must agree that the second shot was fired by someone else!
: M-Mr. Wright! But who could that someone else be!?
: The murderer, of course!

: ... I knew I should have stepped in before your wild fantasies got out of hand. Mr. Wright...
: Look once more at the DL-6 Incident case file. Look closely. Try the "Case Summary" page.
: (The "Case Summary"... that's on page 1.)
: Look what is written there!
: "Not a single clue was found on the scene."

: ...!
: If the pistol had indeed been fired two times... Then the other bullet would have been discovered on the scene!
: He does have a point.
: That second bullet has never been found!

: Because the second bullet does not exist! The bullet that claimed Gregory Edgeworth's life was the one fired by his own son!
: That is the truth of this matter. The whole truth. It was undoubtedly something else that made that bullet hole in the door.

Next time: Contradiction?

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 14, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Von Karma shot him, didn't he?

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
Huh. That's funny, Karma. You first say you have little recollection of the case, and then you remember that there was no second bullet casing found at the scene.

Backpedal much?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFhNdpQdI3s

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Mors Rattus posted:

: We try this man for hsi crime of fifteen years ago!
Typo

quote:

: He confessed that he did it! In court!
Wrong portrait.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Cangelosi posted:

Huh. That's funny, Karma. You first say you have little recollection of the case, and then you remember that there was no second bullet casing found at the scene.

Backpedal much?

The case that had Gregory there at court that day, that is. Gregory lost and von Karma won.

I don't think von Karma had anything to do with the events that day, just that he was prosecuting the resulting case as well.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think we can conclude that von Karma's memory is exactly as good as it needs to be to remember everything that's helpful for his case.

Besides that, I kinda like this twist. At the start of the trial von Karma tries to bulldoze Phoenix and win by default, but then we find out that he had a backup plan if it came to a real trial and now it turns out that he literally had a backup plan for his backup plan. That's some next level planning right there, and I find that it shows von Karma as an effective opponent really well.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Red Metal posted:

Typo

Wrong portrait.

Fixed.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The case that day is the one where Manfred's perfect record got a little asterisk next to it saying "RECEIVED A PENALTY".

There's no way in hell he doesn't have photographic memory of everything that happened that day.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Mors Rattus posted:

: ...? Nick? What are you doing?
: Huh? Oh... I was just reading through the Court Record once more. I'm getting my case ready.
: Your case... for what?
: Huh? Isn't it obvious? I'm going to prove that Miles Edgeworth is innocent.

This is a cool little moment for Phoenix. He's a good protagonist.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Night10194 posted:

Von Karma shot him, didn't he?

That's certainly what I'm getting from this. He's backpedaling on not remembering things, and I'll bet the "other bullet" that von Karma claims doesn't exist is what Maya filched yesterday... which presumably is what we'll present now.

I'm also with Mzbundifund here in admiring who the game has shown Phoenix's character growth. In the prologue, he was nearly fainting about the prospects of bringing down an opponent who might as well have had "I did it" emblazoned on his skull; today, he's about to defend somebody who's just confessed in court, and he's calm while everybody else is running about like headless chickens. It's some really well done, imperceptible growth.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

: I didn't wnat to believe it myself, Detective!

: (That will be hte key... but only if I can get it to work!)

: And until now, you thought htis memory was a "dream"?

: YEs. I'm sure of that. I heard the shot, and the scream...

Typos.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
Okay, this time I actually have a clue what's going on (unlike with Yanni Yogi and the parrot) and I can speculate.

The bullet that caused the hole in the door isn't on the scene, because it embedded itself in the wall or the ceiling somewhere outside the elevator. The sequence of events went like this: first, Miles throws the gun. It goes off -- but its barrel wasn't pointed at his father's heart at the time. It was pointed at the elevator door. The bullet from that first shot went through the door. The scream, I'm not certain about. It might have been from someone standing in the hall outside the elevator who was almost hit by the bullet. Or it might have been from Yanni Yogi, who just heard a shot fired right next to him and was missed by a bullet from close range, and thought that Gregory Peckworth was shooting at him.

... And I just realized something. I was about to rule out the idea that the bullet that killed Gregory Peckworth came from someone outside the elevator, because the murder weapon was INSIDE the elevator. But... there's a possibility. Consider this: the bullet goes through the door, narrowly missing Yogi, who screams and passes out. A little while later, help arrives. The first person on the scene, whom we'll call X, is someone who had a grudge against Gregory Peckworth. He finds everyone passed out but alive, and a loaded gun. He puts on gloves, picks it up, and positions himself just behind or beside Yanni Yogi so that the bullet appears to have been fired by Yogi, and fires one controlled shot into Gregory Peckworth's heart.

And if that's how it happened, then the primary suspect is obviously von Karma. He has a reason to hate Gregory Peckworth, and we already know he's been tampering with evidence about DL-6. If that's the case, we're going to get to put him on the stand. The breakdown should be EPIC.

When I started writing that, I only had an idea about the second bullet. But in the process of working it out, I think I just figured out the murderer. Really looking forward to finding out if I'm correct.

P.S. PLEASE, nobody comment on my speculation, not even "Hmm, interesting theory" or anything like that, until after we find out the truth. I don't want to be spoiled on it, and even a tiny hint might be enough to make me certain whether or not I got it right, and spoil it for me.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The bullet hit SOMEONE. I'm guessing someone lurking right outside the elevator. I'm guessing the accidental gunshot hit the real killer.

I'm proud we're ending this with a literal locked door mystery.

Same for my speculation as above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I think we've got basically all the parts we need to piece together what happened, now. The really tough part is that we'll need to prove it.

Remember, the proof needs to be in the Court Record for you to present it. :v:

• Locked thread