Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Convex posted:

Also the movies are all pre-rendered as the PS2 couldn't handle real time cutscenes, so they look ultra terrible in the HD versions.

There are a couple of pre-rendered movies in the main game as well and the Separate Ways ones look a million times worse than those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Rev 2 is definitely meant to be played cooperatively. It's awesome of you fund anyone to play with. It's still beatable alone but it shines in coop.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if rev2 was meant to be played coop, then they probably would have included online coop and not just local.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Serious Frolicking posted:

if rev2 was meant to be played coop, then they probably would have included online coop and not just local.

I thought they did include online co-op, but only on consoles? Still, it's ridiculous that they only allow Raid mode online co-op on PC.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I thought they did include online co-op, but only on consoles? Still, it's ridiculous that they only allow Raid mode online co-op on PC.

Its the same way on consoles. But the constant switching in single player was annoying as gently caress to me.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Just had my weekly dose of bullshit in RE6 Mercs. Happily hiding away underground on Requiem for War, next thing I know I've been teleported to the surface under Ogroman's loving foot. I was nowhere near any ladders or access to the street surface, but the game decided I was having too much fun with the Stun Rod anyway. I was loving livid; 270 chain and then it just pulls that poo poo on me.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

He can kick through the ceilings.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

No, I was teleported through the ceiling. In the blink of an eye I went from zapping mutants deep underground to being face-down under a Size-50 foot in the middle of the road. No animation, nothing. Just there, and just dead.

I can only put it down to some severe network latency or some poo poo (I wasn't hosting), but even then it's a loving ridiculous situation to end up in. I've never had anything like this happen before in what must be close to 130 hours of Mercs.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Krauser was such a good playable character in Mercenaries. Wesker is flashier, but that plaga arm is so satisfying.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hadn't realised just how insanely easy Krauser was to beat knife only until this play through.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

I hadn't realised just how insanely easy Krauser was to beat knife only until this play through.

He takes a crazy amount of damage from it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I think the latest GDQ did a RE4 run. They clown everything but the Krauser QTE event, which I respect.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
I started playing RE4 on PS4 (I last played & beat it on the Gamecube when it came out); a few observations:
  • I have no idea how I beat this on the GC without ever really doing the kneecapping/kick combo. It's so effective & I'm almost certain I never used it before(unless it was an occasional accident). Shooting a guy to the ground and knifing his butt to death is pretty effective
  • The 'aim with the right stick' is an absolute game changer - was this never a thing with other versions?
  • Is it just me or is this version both more generous with meseta and stingier with ammo? I'm pulling off pretty effective shots, but I almost never have enough ammo to even reload my gun, and I am getting more than enough money to max out all my weapons & buy everything (this game has been generous with the TMP ammo, so thanks, I guess)
  • I am really, really bad at this game. Have I become worse at video games since I beat this a decade ago? :ohdear: I'm constantly getting my head chainsawed off by the lady ganados because I have like 9 bullets among 3 guns

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Bogart posted:

I think the latest GDQ did a RE4 run. They clown everything but the Krauser QTE event, which I respect.
11 years later and I still hate that loving section of the game, at least when I play on the GameCube. PC lets me just mash every combination and treat QTE parts with the utter contempt they deserve.

tenderjerk posted:

I'm constantly getting my head chainsawed off by the lady ganados because I have like 9 bullets among 3 guns
The Bella Sisters can be dealt with reasonably enough if you lure them to the gunpowder cart near the entrance to this section then blast it. Try rounding them up (like cattle hur hur language joke) then luring them toward it as a pair. The cart explosion should trash both of them, though I might have to try it again myself to confirm this.

Christ knows how you're actually having ammo difficulties in RE4 though. Aside from RE2, it's probably the most supply-generous in the main series once you get past the initial encounter with Dr. Salvador. I've played the GCN, PS2 and PC versions and each time I was swimming in more than enough bullets. If anything the rubber-banding difficulty should be helping you more at this point :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played through the PS4 HD remaster and I was swimming in money but hurting for ammo throughout most of the game, it basically dropped the bare minimum I needed to scrape through.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Seriously? Wow, didn't think that they'd have fiddled with the actual game itself outside of upping some texture qualities and allowing 60fps. I wonder why they did that for the PS4 but left the PC version as generous as the original releases?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

tenderjerk posted:

I started playing RE4 on PS4 (I last played & beat it on the Gamecube when it came out); a few observations:
  • I have no idea how I beat this on the GC without ever really doing the kneecapping/kick combo. It's so effective & I'm almost certain I never used it before(unless it was an occasional accident). Shooting a guy to the ground and knifing his butt to death is pretty effective
  • The 'aim with the right stick' is an absolute game changer - was this never a thing with other versions?
  • Is it just me or is this version both more generous with meseta and stingier with ammo? I'm pulling off pretty effective shots, but I almost never have enough ammo to even reload my gun, and I am getting more than enough money to max out all my weapons & buy everything (this game has been generous with the TMP ammo, so thanks, I guess)
  • I am really, really bad at this game. Have I become worse at video games since I beat this a decade ago? :ohdear: I'm constantly getting my head chainsawed off by the lady ganados because I have like 9 bullets among 3 guns
Probably because you kept using the knife so much, the game thought you were doing a knife only run, and gave you enough to stagger.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Apparently the team that was making that Resident Evil 2 remake is making a new survival horror game. I guess the creature designs are by the guy who did creature designs for Code Veronica and Zero?

Trailer.

It looks like it plays like Revelations, which I picked up on sale on the Humble Store and am really enjoying. I decided to uninstall RE6 again after loading up my save game from last time I played, where I was right at the end of Chris' campaign, and discovered that the final boss fight sucks super hard in single-player and I had practically no health and ammo.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Because you know this was coming: Resident Evil 7 pre-order bonuses.

I guess Crimson Head burning is coming back?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Well, this will presumably stop the last vestiges of "it won't have combat' fear at least.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
finally, a game where you have to buy all your in-game weapons with real money

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Well, this will presumably stop the last vestiges of "it won't have combat' fear at least.

only hysterical idiots ever thought that

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Also in Capcom's annual report, which came out today, they claim they plan to release a new mainline game every 2.5 years so have fun with that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Also in Capcom's annual report, which came out today, they claim they plan to release a new mainline game every 2.5 years so have fun with that.

That doesn't seem particularly surprising. RE has had a new game almost yearly since 1996 and for a while a mainline game was coming out... about every 2 years give or take. 2002 had Remake and Zero in the same year!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like resident evil games so i am glad they are planning to continue the series. most resident evil games are good unless you are addicted to nostalgia and tank controls.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Serious Frolicking posted:

only hysterical idiots ever thought that

But I saw it in a let's play! There was no fighting!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Lunethex posted:

finally, a game where you have to buy all your in-game weapons with real money

Is this the first time you've seen a pre-order bonus before? I mean, yeah, those are terrible, but games have been doing the whole "Get exclusive weapon/ammo/items only if you preorder at where ever" for years now.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It still would be nice to actually see what this combat will look like.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I'm hoping its less Call of Duty and more Condemned.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
since they are getting all experimental it is entirely possible that the combat will be garbage. who knows, really? not much point in speculating about something there is absolutely no information for yet.

i'm just saying that it was never in question that combat would be in the game.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Crimson Heads were the loving worst... oh god... :ohdear:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

If the new Ethan dude is just some schlub and they're really emphasizing the whole low tech dark gritty deal then maybe it'll have some kind of SIREN-esque combat. Like you know how scrubby that one STARS dude was when you watch that video tape in REmake was against a generic zombie? Like that kind of bad. Like I dunno the combat takes place in with slow aim movement speeds and you can't reload in menus and it happens in real time so you might have to put a new clip or manually handfeed bullets during a fight and you can't see the enemy while you do it, that sort of thing. Maybe have limited aiming abilities because you're just a dude, so headshots are rarer?

Spiffster posted:

I'm picturing playing this game in VR and Crimson Heads just screaming and running at the screen. It's pretty cool.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Spiffster posted:

They can be pretty bad, but after replaying Resident Evil remake, I realized that you barely will see them. In fact, I think you only have to deal with the one by the imitation key trap and the one after you use the masks. Most of the time, I think I am out of the mansion before they even have the time to transform.

However, I remember when I first played the game, I was so nervous about burning the bodies and I wasted so much time. That first playthrough felt like it took forever.

Also, Crimson heads have the tendency to overlunge if you just keep running past them. I always felt they were easier to slip past than regular zombies.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Don't Hunters kill any Crimson Heads you left alive too, outside of the one that's always there in the one hallway?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Raxivace posted:

Don't Hunters kill any Crimson Heads you left alive too, outside of the one that's always there in the one hallway?

Yeah, they are completely gone when you return to the mansion. After that, the only ones I think you will see are in the lab. Once the self-destruct sequence is activated, any zombies left that weren't burned or decapitated instantly turn into crimson heads, regardless of time.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Crowetron posted:

Is this the first time you've seen a pre-order bonus before? I mean, yeah, those are terrible, but games have been doing the whole "Get exclusive weapon/ammo/items only if you preorder at where ever" for years now.

Bethesda games are bad for this. The Evil Within and Rage both had cool pre-order exclusive guns that can't be purchased separately even years after release.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Those bonuses are a complete non-issue. It's just some extra healing items, ammo, or other consumables. It's like someone told them they had to have something, so they went with the absolute minimum.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Policenaut posted:

I guess Crimson Head burning is coming back?

:pray:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Schubalts posted:

Those bonuses are a complete non-issue. It's just some extra healing items, ammo, or other consumables. It's like someone told them they had to have something, so they went with the absolute minimum.

They are to complement the hardest difficulty bring unlocked from the start if you pre-order - I think you can only use the items in that difficulty actually. Seems like a waste of time to me as why would you play the hardest difficulty if you wanted to cheat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

why does the handgun set include a condom