Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Attestant posted:

THE MOON ISN'T REAL. :tinfoil:

How else can you explain Steven and the Rubies being launched to the space by a simple air lock opening? The real moon has an escape velocity of about 2,4 km/s.

because Steven can float with the power of happy thoughts he was actually euphoric at being pulled into a vacuum because it would be a chance to die.

Like all millennials Steven lusts for death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I got two words for you: Time Cube

Earth has 4-corner simultaneous 4-days in only 24 hour rotation. 4-corner days, cubes 4 quad earth, foreverially delitized.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I don't "get" meep-morp http://blog.cookieflips.com/post/149818765697/i-think-someone-asked-for-this-original-motion

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Didn't use Bob, 0/10

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Pearl's unique Gem Power is to steal good looks from other gems, that's what happened to Jasper between The Return and some of the more recent eps.

Seriously though Jasper's design is just not easy to make look 'good' from certain angles/some boarder's styles.

Flying-PCP fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 12, 2016

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Steven Universe turned into a hardcore Pearl station so slowly none of us noticed

Well that is how pearls are formed.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Flying-PCP posted:

Pearl's unique Gem Power is to steal good looks from other gems, that's what happened to Jasper between The Return and some of the more recent eps.

Seriously though Jasper's design is just not easy to make look 'good' from certain angles/some boarder's styles.

The character design flexibility is both a strength and a weakness of the show, but overall I feel that it works.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

lol at this blatant Grasper shipping.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Blatant and wonderful

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
So here's what makes "Last One Out of Beach City"

It's the culmination of the show working to reach a point where it can tell a completely relatable, mostly down to Earth story about romantic attraction that happens to involve two women.

There's nothing at all particularly fantastic about it. Nor is there anything allegorical. Hell, there's nothing particularly gay about the episode.

It's just Person trying to move on in their life seeing Person they're attracted to and talking to them after some wacky hijinks with their friends. That the two persons are women is irrelevant to the story. It would work with literally anyone. They could have had this exact same adventure with Greg in Pearl's place.

I'm not gay, I don't wish to speak for anyone who is gay, but speaking from my own point of view as a black man, it's the exact place that I want to see media end up.

Where people just tell stories and the characters in those stories aren't black or white, gay or straight, cis or transgender, men or women because the story requires them to be, but because they just are. Because the writers/casting crew/director didn't just default to the most used category or require a specific kind of story for them to make different choices.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Adder Moray posted:

There's nothing at all particularly fantastic about it. Nor is there anything allegorical. Hell, there's nothing particularly gay about the episode.

There's nothing particularly gay about being gay, it turns out

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Data Graham posted:

There's nothing particularly gay about being gay, it turns out

Keep reading, that's my point.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I know, I'm agreeing.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
no but you see im gay and i want you to know it

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Attestant posted:

The Answer is really not a good episode to showcase the show, at all. It's far too reliant on understanding the context of who Garnet is, what fusion is, and what it means.

I don't really agree. Even without context it's still a beautifully told fairy tale--that's why they chose it to make into an kid's book, after all. Plus it's self-contained compared to most any other episode--it's not part of any ongoing plot, it could have happened literally any time after Steven found out Garnet's a fusion.

Most of the things you need to know are explained in the episode itself--it starts with saying Garnet's a fusion of Ruby and Sapphire, and they spend time talking about what exactly that means throughout. (The dialogue also explain the other relevant Gem Rules pretty well too--namely that they don't die if they lose their physical forms, but only if they're shattered.)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Motherfucker posted:

no but you see im gay and i want you to know it

I'm very sorry that your sexual identity was turned into a meme by idiots, but there's no reason to scream about it.

Yes, I know it's a word filter

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Flying-PCP posted:

This is how I feel about Bismuth's design.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

LemonLimeTime posted:

Between her design and her VA, a lot of people deduced she wasn't going to last the episode.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Whiz Palace posted:

Between her design and her VA, a lot of people deduced she wasn't going to last the episode.

Which makes those bumpers all the more infuriating. Dammit :argh:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Those eyecatches were GENIUS.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

LemonLimeTime posted:

What's weird is that episode had 4 different boarders (and according to Director Joe Johnston additional boards from both him and Rebecca) yet I felt she looked pretty consistent throughout

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

What's weird is that episode had 4 different boarders (and according to Director Joe Johnston additional boards from both him and Rebecca) yet I felt she looked pretty consistent throughout

Yeah, I didn't notice any points where she looked particularly off, but it wouldn't surprise me if LemonLimeTime is right in that other boarders might struggle if they have to do an episode with her in it.

No sense in borrowing trouble, though.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Adder Moray posted:

So here's what makes "Last One Out of Beach City"

I agree with this up to a point. Like it's definitely really wonderful that this show can be so casual in including queer narratives in a way that isn't sensationalized or reductive, but at the same time, no you can't just replace Pearl with a guy and the story is the same. Pretending that difference doesn't exist isn't much better than not including different people in the first place, and queer love and attraction should be represented as it is and not just as palate-swapped straightness. This show does a really exceptional job with gender in general which is why the episode felt so natural while embracing everything that makes queer love beautiful in its own right.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Philip Rivers posted:

no you can't just replace Pearl with a guy and the story is the same.

Yes you could. The story would be exactly the same if Pearl was a guy in it. It would also be the same if S was a guy too. Or if both characters were non-binary.

The gender of the protagonists had nothing to do with the story. I mean it did in the societal sense because there aren't many stories were a girl meets a girl and gets to fall in love with her and not die, but within the story itself gender didn't matter at all.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Philip Rivers posted:

I agree with this up to a point. Like it's definitely really wonderful that this show can be so casual in including queer narratives in a way that isn't sensationalized or reductive, but at the same time, no you can't just replace Pearl with a guy and the story is the same. Pretending that difference doesn't exist isn't much better than not including different people in the first place, and queer love and attraction should be represented as it is and not just as palate-swapped straightness. This show does a really exceptional job with gender in general which is why the episode felt so natural while embracing everything that makes queer love beautiful in its own right.

I agree with your assertion that there are differences. However, I disagree with that difference being relevant to this particular episode. There was nothing about Pearl's desire to break free of her past, to let her hair down and act like the rebel she used to be, to talk to the attractive person she met and felt she blew her chances with, that seems, to my admittedly limited perspective, uniquely gay. That's a story that all of us, especially the older folks among us who can look back on their lives with regret of the chances not taken, can deeply connect to every aspect of.

I'm not saying that there are no uniquely queer love stories, nor am I saying that there should be no uniquely queer love stories. I'm saying that the beautiful thing about this episode is that it features two women attracted to one another, but remains, and do pardon the pun, universal.

But as I said, my perspective is limited, do feel free to enlighten me.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yes you could. The story would be exactly the same if Pearl was a guy in it. It would also be the same if S was a guy too. Or if both characters were non-binary.

The gender of the protagonists had nothing to do with the story. I mean it did in the societal sense because there aren't many stories were a girl meets a girl and gets to fall in love with her and not die, but within the story itself gender didn't matter at all.

Yeah, it wasn't as if Pearl was bemoaning that she specifically couldn't find any good women to hook up with. Mystery Woman being a woman wasn't Pearl's primary motivation for wanting to see her.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I think the point was that while this episode in particular might be interchangeable in its roles, it's not universally good for that to be the case. Sometimes you want to make sure you're playing explicitly on themes that are unique to the sexualities in question.

Writing stories where gender or orientation is completely unimportant and separable from the plot of the episode is a kind of erasure, just like ignoring the existence of minorities is. And it makes for less interesting storytelling too.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Screencapped and submitted to tumblr. Prepare to die.

Data Graham posted:

I think the point was that while this episode in particular might be interchangeable in its roles, it's not universally good for that to be the case. Sometimes you want to make sure you're playing explicitly on themes that are unique to the sexualities in question.

Writing stories where gender or orientation is completely unimportant and separable from the plot of the episode is a kind of erasure, just like ignoring the existence of minorities is. And it makes for less interesting storytelling too.

I kind of see what you mean, but it's kind of weird in this show because while the gems are obviously meant to be read as women, they hardly face any of the societal problems real women face, except for maybe some allegorical things regarding Pearl and Garnet's origins in Homeworld

Flying-PCP fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 12, 2016

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I dunno, I just think it's a little shallow to say that Pearl's and Mystery Girl's genders aren't relevant to the story on the condition that you decontextualize their gender from culture. :shrug: It was a conscious decision by Sugar and the rest of the crew to include queer romances in this show and I think that decision carries weight beyond just basic representation.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

that's only if you think of a story as being separate from the context it's consumed in, which i consider to be false. that a lesbian relationship is considered interchangeable with a heterosexual one within the world of steven universe may be true, but it's not true in the world we the watchers of the show live in, which makes Last One Out's story demonstrably not exactly the same as a hypothetical version in which pearl pines after a dude or is a dude pining after a lady.

to be clear, i don't quite agree with philip's post either. i don't think steven universe is exploring anything totally unique to queer relationships here. but its impact on the audience depends on the fact that it's a lesbian relationship.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Data Graham posted:

I think the point was that while this episode in particular might be interchangeable in its roles, it's not universally good for that to be the case.

I don't think anyone is saying it that it would be?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I think the point is that the show has put a lot of work in getting to the point where 'Pearl meets cute with a woman' isn't a Very Special Episode. The show doesn't feel any need to point out "Hey look! Lesbians!" because it can assume if you've made it this far, you're already on board with those themes.

The fact that it's telling a story where, in the context of this one specific story, the genders of the characters doesn't matter isn't, I think, erasure, because the entire rest of the show has worked so hard to get to a point where it doesn't have to be a big lesson to the normies about what lesbians are, and can actually just tell a story with lesbians.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Data Graham posted:

I've noticed I tend to fail to get this point across when I discuss these kinds of things.

Media's already at the point where it will utilize people of varying backgrounds when they have a story to tell about that background. Which is why I don't worry about discussing it as much.

I'm waiting for the day they do it just because people come from various backgrounds and there's no justification needed.

Venuz Patrol posted:

that's only if you think of a story as being separate from the context it's consumed in, which i consider to be false. that a lesbian relationship is considered interchangeable with a heterosexual one within the world of steven universe may be true, but it's not true in the world we the watchers of the show live in, which makes Last One Out's story demonstrably not exactly the same as a hypothetical version in which pearl pines after a dude or is a dude pining after a lady.

to be clear, i don't quite agree with philip's post either. i don't think steven universe is exploring anything totally unique to queer relationships here. but its impact on the audience depends on the fact that it's a lesbian relationship.

But that's my entire point. Its impact comes from the fact that the story is able to say "Here is a cute romance story featuring Pearl and a mystery girl." That there is a show that is both willing and able to have a gay romantic story while neither having to announce that it's a gay romantic nor cover up that it's a gay romantic story. That seems, to me at least, pretty big.

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 12, 2016

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Adder Moray posted:

I'm waiting for the day they do it just because people come from various backgrounds and there's no justification needed.

:agreed: including folks of different backgrounds in a way that's not tokenizing is good and SU does that better than most any other show I can think of.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tendales posted:

I think the point is that the show has put a lot of work in getting to the point where 'Pearl meets cute with a woman' isn't a Very Special Episode. The show doesn't feel any need to point out "Hey look! Lesbians!" because it can assume if you've made it this far, you're already on board with those themes.

The fact that it's telling a story where, in the context of this one specific story, the genders of the characters doesn't matter isn't, I think, erasure, because the entire rest of the show has worked so hard to get to a point where it doesn't have to be a big lesson to the normies about what lesbians are, and can actually just tell a story with lesbians.

Yeah, this is my view. There absolutely should continue to be media that focuses on the unique experiences of minorities of all kinds. But I would also like for there to be more "universal" stories that happen to feature those same people and have it be instantly accepted as normal and natural because it is normal and natural. Both things are great to see for their own reasons. I don't think the latter is erasure so long as it's not the only type of story being told, but maybe I'm wrong?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Data Graham posted:

I disagree, kind of? I mean I get what you're saying and I do think there should be stories that specifically address gender and orientation and what it's like dealing with those things. However, I also think it's important to have stories where queerness is treated as something that's normal, natural, and even mundane.

For example: Loud House and Clarence both have characters that have same sex parents. No one in the show ever comments on this, it's just treated like a regular thing and I love that. I also love that Pearl can get a crush on a girl and have a generic indie romance adventure chasing after her, because straight shouldn't be the default for those kinds of stories.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
there's room in media for realistic stories that describe discrimination as it actually is and the ways things need to change, and for idealistic stories that take tolerance as a given from the start. the latter is important, particularly for children's media, and advocating for it doesn't mean demanding that realistic stories stop existing.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Venuz Patrol posted:

That's why I said it matters in a societal sense even though it doesn't matter within the story itself.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

DoctorWhat posted:

Those eyecatches were GENIUS.

Not to mention the CN commercials promoting the 100th episode ("A new member of the Crystal Gems!" etc) and Ian JQ in an interview saying "she'd be joining them in the fall" as with the assumption of her sticking around. They really planned the promoting for that episode so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

That's why I said it matters in a societal sense even though it doesn't matter within the story itself.

I see where you're coming from but my argument boils down to, I don't think those things are separable. Narratives are always going to be situated in a specific cultural context, and queer romance being presented as natural, normal, and accepted is subversive in its own right and I think it's important to recognize that. But I'm gonna stop now before I go way off the critical theory deep end.