Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

gently caress ep 51 "Bikers without Bikes' with Robin Williams is so loving good.

Even if the entire episode was just Bobcat retelling his juggalo story it would be near the top 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
If you didn't listen/watch the recent comic con episode they play the Rick and Morty doing the court case video (though it's not actually on the video - it's cut out) but hearing Harmon discuss it and how it flows is pretty great. (The writing the Community movie gimmick of the episode is pretty good as well).

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Wank posted:

If you didn't listen/watch the recent comic con episode they play the Rick and Morty doing the court case video (though it's not actually on the video - it's cut out) but hearing Harmon discuss it and how it flows is pretty great. (The writing the Community movie gimmick of the episode is pretty good as well).

That actually ruined it for me, kind of. The guy threatening to murder the judge's entire family was the loving comedic high point to me.

I hate it when he starts in on his dumb Joseph Campbell story circle bullshit. It's a boring creative crutch.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

joedevola posted:

That actually ruined it for me, kind of. The guy threatening to murder the judge's entire family was the loving comedic high point to me.

I hate it when he starts in on his dumb Joseph Campbell story circle bullshit. It's a boring creative crutch.

A valid opinion. But then, why listen to Harmontown? That kind of stuff is peak Harmon.

The cool thing I learnt by actually watching the San Diego show (instead of listening to it) is that after 200+ episodes, Harmon can still only really open up when he is quietly sitting in front of a keyboard. It also has an excellent "hidden track" - finally the $20 or so I have spent on this poo poo so far is worth it.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Bringing someone up whose having a hard time of it. I hope it isn't something too heavy that they can't bounce back from.

Girlfriend died of pulmonary embolism. She was pregnant. :smith:

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Hocus Pocus posted:

Bringing someone up whose having a hard time of it. I hope it isn't something too heavy that they can't bounce back from.

Girlfriend died of pulmonary embolism. She was pregnant. :smith:

Goddamn, as soon as I saw "another gut-spilling and heart-rending episode!" in the description I just marked it as played and listened to this week's Hollywood Handbook again, sounds like I made the right call.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I love ryan ridley

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

KoRMaK posted:

I love ryan ridley

Ridley is funny, but they've talked about wanting to goof on him for his non-stop Tinder dating on a couple of occasions, and I'm disappointed they haven't done it yet. (Haven't heard the latest episode, though.)

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'm not there yet. I'm back on the episode from last week with maebe and ryan back at the comic book store about the party.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Listening to the latest episode right now, and Dan doesn't know Radiohead is named after a Talking Heads song. :rant:

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

KoRMaK posted:

I love ryan ridley

he's a dork

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Wank posted:

The video was released now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vN_PEmeKb0

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

adult swim why would you censor this

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
It's funnier with the crowd reactions too.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Uh-oh; Harmontown fans are starting to couple up. The offspring of such a mating could be monstrous. :ohdear:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Speaking of offspring, this week's episode spends some time interviewing a four-year-old!

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

prefect posted:

Uh-oh; Harmontown fans are starting to couple up. The offspring of such a mating could be monstrous. :ohdear:

I just can't believe someone could tolerate Dave Klein.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

This episode is, so far, insane

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

KoRMaK posted:

This episode is, so far, insane

Andy and Dino were great (no surprise), but I think my favorite part is Dan's Encyclopedia Brown-but-Chinatown pitch. I would watch the hell out of that. It doesn't hurt that he mentioned "Zero Effect" with Bill Pullman. :allears:

Also, am I crazy or is that Spencer in a suit?

prefect fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 14, 2016

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I use to like Andy dick sorta, but after I heard the backstory about him and hartmans wife I'm kinda torn. But yes it was great, Any is a psycho and Dino is completely aware of it and acts as a wall against it - it was interesting to see.

Harmon strikes me as a captilist zizek. Fat and full of rants and looks the same.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

I use to like Andy dick sorta, but after I heard the backstory about him and hartmans wife I'm kinda torn.

The backstory is basically his wife wanted to party, and Andy Dick partied with her, and somehow everyone blames her going crazy on Andy. It really makes no sense, it's not like he forced her to do drugs with him.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Contributing to a recovering addicts relapse, and that relapse ending in a murder/suicide lands somewhere on the spectrum of responsibility.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

Contributing to a recovering addicts relapse, and that relapse ending in a murder/suicide lands somewhere on the spectrum of responsibility.

Addicts relapse, it's just what happens. But also drugs don't make you into a suicidal murderer, that's all on her. Lots of people do drugs and don't end up dead. If your argument is to never do drugs, well, I guess you're welcome to that point of view. But my point of view is that people will self medicate in whatever way they can. It's probably not healthy to have enablers around you when you're self destructing but that's just how it works when you're on that path. It could've been anyone that she did drugs with, I'd bet Andy Dick wasn't the only one, it isn't anyone's responsibility except their own to ensure their own mental well being.

If you've ever shared a drink with someone who then went on to drunk drive and hurt themselves, property or someone else do you take the burden of responsibility?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ElCondemn posted:

The backstory is basically his wife wanted to party, and Andy Dick partied with her, and somehow everyone blames her going crazy on Andy. It really makes no sense, it's not like he forced her to do drugs with him.

He literally went up to Jon Lovitz, wiggled his fingers in front of his face, then said "I'm casting the Phil Hartman curse on you. You will be killed by your wife." Then he bragged about getting her re-addicted to drugs by, quote, "putting cocaine on my dick".

Also, Andy Dick is (in)famous in Hollywood circles for basically Bill Cosby-ing other people - usually males - by getting them high off drugs he supplies then feeling them up in an incapacitated state.

You basically know absolutely nothing about why everyone blames Andy Dick for Brynn Hartman's murder-suicide. He did everything short of handing her a loaded gun, has displayed zero remorse for his actions even years afterwards, and most gallingly bragged about it as if he was some sort of Reaper-esque figure. He's a total and complete fuckhead of the highest order.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 14, 2016

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

He literally went up to Jon Lovitz, wiggled his fingers in front of his face, then said "I'm casting the Phil Hartman curse on you. You will be killed by your wife." Then he bragged about getting her re-addicted to drugs by, quote, "putting cocaine on my dick".

Also, Andy Dick is (in)famous in Hollywood circles for basically Bill Cosby-ing other people - usually males - by getting them high off drugs he supplies then feeling them up in an incapacitated state.

You basically know absolutely nothing about why everyone blames Andy Dick for Brynn Hartman's murder-suicide. He did everything short of handing her a loaded gun, has displayed zero remorse for his actions even years afterwards, and most gallingly bragged about it as if he was some sort of Reaper-esque figure. He's a total and complete fuckhead of the highest order.

I've heard the stories, and don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be an apologist for him. I think it's pretty clear he's an rear end in a top hat who probably doesn't deserve the minute amount of success he's had in his career. I'm just pointing out that he didn't cause anyone's death, no more than anyone else who was partying with her (or those people) at the time.

Just because he was mean to Jon Lovitz (who is also a huge rear end in a top hat btw), and bragged about putting cocaine on his dick, doesn't mean he did anything even close to "handing her a loaded gun". Also he's definitely a terrible person for taking advantage of people, and it is a travesty that he hasn't served time for his sex crimes.

That being said, I just don't think it's reasonable to blame him for something that he didn't do. I think mental illness is at play in all of this, and it's just unfortunate that these people came together and made bad decisions all around. I feel sorry for everyone involved, I just don't think it's right to throw blame around just because you don't like someone. Also personally if I were to condemn Andy Dick for his role I'd have to condemn people in my life who are good friends who have had Andy Dickish behavior during and after tragic events. People who are sober now and who have worked to change their lives for the better, I don't think those people are at fault either just because they were making bad choices at the same time.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 14, 2016

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
what a weird thing to take a stand on

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

nerve posted:

what a weird thing to take a stand on

I don't think it's weird to show compassion and have empathy for people who've made mistakes in their life who are seemingly trying to make better choices now.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ElCondemn posted:

I've heard the stories, and don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be an apologist for him. I think it's pretty clear he's an rear end in a top hat who probably doesn't deserve the minute amount of success he's had in his career. I'm just pointing out that he didn't cause anyone's death, no more than anyone else who was partying with her (or those people) at the time.

Just because he was mean to Jon Lovitz (who is also a huge rear end in a top hat btw), and bragged about putting cocaine on his dick, doesn't mean he did anything even close to "handing her a loaded gun". Also he's definitely a terrible person for taking advantage of people, and it is a travesty that he hasn't served time for his sex crimes.

That being said, I just don't think it's reasonable to blame him for something that he didn't do. I think mental illness is at play in all of this, and it's just unfortunate that these people came together and made bad decisions all around. I feel sorry for everyone involved, I just don't think it's right to throw blame around just because you don't like someone. Also personally if I were to condemn Andy Dick for his role I'd have to condemn people in my life who are good friends who have had Andy Dickish behavior during and after tragic events. People who are sober now and who have worked to change their lives for the better, I don't think those people are at fault either just because they were making bad choices at the same time.

If you heard the stories then you can't go it "makes no sense" that he'd be blamed for Brynn Hartman's murder/suicide when he has literally taken credit for Brynn Hartman's murder-suicide.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

If you heard the stories then you can't go it "makes no sense" that he'd be blamed for Brynn Hartman's murder/suicide when he has literally taken credit for Brynn Hartman's murder-suicide.

I killed the jews!

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

ElCondemn posted:

I killed the jews!

If you can't tell the difference between this and the situation being discussed then woof.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Toxxupation posted:

Was he out of his mind on booze and drugs when he said it?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

prefect posted:

Was he out of his mind on booze and drugs when he said it?

So your argument is that Andy Dick shouldn't be held accountable for the things he's said or done? I'm not even talking criminal charges, I'm talking about the totally unprosecutable court of public opinion. Why is this a hill worth dying on? Why is Andy Dick, human monster, a guy worth so stringently defending from people saying mean things about him because of the awful things he has said and done?

Oh and just for reference I dunno about you but I've never gotten so drunk or high that I end up accidentally taking credit for a murder. Sorry, that's never happened to me before. Don't think that's a real common experience one has while on a bender.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 16, 2016

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I don't think I'd pick you to be on a jury

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Toxxupation posted:

So your argument is that Andy Dick shouldn't be held accountable for the things he's said or done? I'm not even talking criminal charges, I'm talking about the totally unprosecutable court of public opinion. Why is this a hill worth dying on? Why is Andy Dick, human monster, a guy worth so stringently defending from people saying mean things about him because of the awful things he has said and done?

It's not a hill worth dying on; I just think you're overreacting. Apologies.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Andy Dick is human garbage and the epitome of that kid who didn't learn the difference between good attention and bad attention.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I checked out Dino and Andy's podcast and kinda dig the scumbag antagonist dynamic where you hate them, they hate themselves and they hate each other. It's very Walking the Room if you listened to that show.

I also found out via the podcast that The Tick series for Amazon got picked up. :dance:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

I checked out Dino and Andy's podcast and kinda dig the scumbag antagonist dynamic where you hate them, they hate themselves and they hate each other. It's very Walking the Room if you listened to that show.

I also found out via the podcast that The Tick series for Amazon got picked up. :dance:

I got to admit that even though I hate Andy Dick and I think that Dino is some kind of idiot savant, I'm pretty interested in listening to their podcast.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I agree with both of those statements.

Dino will always have respect from me for Moral Orel. I've never seen a show transition tones so much from beginning to end. The first season was a snarky comedy based around two-dimensional characters. By the final season, the show became a sobering look into how people end up sabotaging themselves.

It's like a quote from John Milton: “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven.”

Anyways, I'll probably listen to an episode of that podcast at some point.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Maybe I should go back and watch more of the video episodes. I'm watching the latest one, and it's terrific just watching Schrab make faces as he watches Dan and Jeff talk.

Also, Dan looks exhausted. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I guess no more live improv commercials?