Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Crazy Ted posted:

:lol: Close but not quite. That's Tom Emanski. Tom Brunansky was a Twins player from about 1983 to 1990, and he came back to the organization to coach after he retired.

I seem to recall my neighbors using "Dive Brunansky, dive!" as some sort of catch phrase but I don't know what that was all about or if it's even related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I seem to recall my neighbors using "Dive Brunansky, dive!" as some sort of catch phrase but I don't know what that was all about or if it's even related.

I would guess?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdZgAcFGzC8

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Brian Dozier now has 40 home runs.

He had five at the end of May.

14 at the All-Star break.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
It really frustrating how the Pirates just decided to give up this season

https://twitter.com/whygavs/status/775505379530772482

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 13, 2016

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

IcePhoenix posted:

Brian Dozier now has 40 home runs.

He had five at the end of May.

14 at the All-Star break.

So how many 2Bs have hit 40+ HR in a single season? If I'm play indexing right it looks like there are three, not sure if that includes Dozier already or not(no subscription). Figured two of them out.

Hornsby in '22 (holy crap)
Sandberg in '90 (what kind of name is Ryne)
Dozier ?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
:siren:Kyle "Weak Grounder" Hendricks has a no hitter through 7 vs the Cardinals:siren:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DoctaFun posted:

Ryne as a boys' name is of Gaelic derivation, and the meaning of Ryne is "king". Ryne is an alternate form of Ryan (Gaelic): also possibly (Gaelic) "water".
Read more at http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/1/Ryne#IRQQEMQk3yKZ8xFi.99

And don't you dare talk bad about Ryno. :mad:

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Popete posted:

:siren:Kyle "Weak Grounder" Hendricks has a no hitter through 7 vs the Cardinals:siren:

Jason "Weak Grounder" Heyward went into the stands to make a play on a foul ball and a BFIB tried to take the glove with him until Javy Baez swooped in to save the day!

https://twitter.com/Zack_Pearson/status/775509223656525824

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
What a piece of poo poo.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DoctaFun posted:

Don't you dare make fun of Ryne Sandberg, even in passing :mad:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Jason "Weak Grounder" Heyward went into the stands to make a play on a foul ball and a BFIB tried to take the glove with him until Javy Baez swooped in to save the day!

https://twitter.com/Zack_Pearson/status/775509223656525824

Best loving fans in baseball

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Oh look as soon as I turn on MLB.tv the no-hitter gets broken up. Sorry Kyle.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I am only "watching" on the MLB app, but Hazelbaker homered, then Maddon was ejected? What's the story there?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

joe west

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MrMojok posted:

I am only "watching" on the MLB app, but Hazelbaker homered, then Maddon was ejected? What's the story there?

Hazelbaker homers, the Cubs try to go out to the mound to talk to Hendricks and Joe West tells them to get back to their positions. Maddon goes out to be like "What the hell man, let them talk" and gets into an argument and bam gone.

(It was all mainly to give Chapman time to warm up.)

EDIT:
http://i.imgur.com/uT2haSr.mp4

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 13, 2016

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

MrMojok posted:

He was stalling for time, and did so by arguing with Joe West

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

west was ready for him, he had already puffed out his throat sacs and his neck fringe

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

R.D. Mangles posted:

west was ready for him, he had already puffed out his throat sacs and his neck fringe

Are Joe West's throat sacs voluminous enough to hold all of Ted Cruz's glistening eggs?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Dansby Swanson leaves the game with a "groin contusion" aka he got hit in the dick with the baseball due to an errant throw by the catcher.

:confused:

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
The Angels special weather report that Mike Trout does always cracks me up.

*15 second intro*
"Overcast"
*15 second outro*

It's loving perfect.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Dansby Swanson leaves the game with a "groin contusion" aka he got hit in the dick with the baseball due to an errant throw by the catcher.

Ouch, I turned on the game after than had happened and assumed it was on a steal attempt or something. That's really dumb.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Inspector_666 posted:

CUP CHECK!!!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

Yeah, here's a screengrab from the game:

Kaplan made a buffet joke about West during the postgame. :3:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Ouch, I turned on the game after than had happened and assumed it was on a steal attempt or something. That's really dumb.

apparently he was throwing up afterward, drat

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

There were over 1000 Dodgers fans in the left field corner at Yankee stadium tonight, and apparently they did a roll call in the bottom of the first, so that's kinda cool. The only video I can find of it now though is a weak clip with YES commentators talking over it.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

TMMadman posted:

And don't you dare talk bad about Ryno. :mad:

I can't remember - was 90 the season he just gave up and literally quit in the middle of the season? It wasn't right? I feel like that might have been more recent.

E:

DoctaFun posted:

So how many 2Bs have hit 40+ HR in a single season? If I'm play indexing right it looks like there are three, not sure if that includes Dozier already or not(no subscription). Figured two of them out.

Dozier ?

Cano just hit his 33rd. There's an outside chance he touches 40 this season.

BallerBallerDillz fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 13, 2016

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

bawfuls posted:

There were over 1000 Dodgers fans in the left field corner at Yankee stadium tonight, and apparently they did a roll call in the bottom of the first, so that's kinda cool. The only video I can find of it now though is a weak clip with YES commentators talking over it.

There are probably a few ancient Brooklyn fans hiding out there yet.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

elentar posted:

apparently he was throwing up afterward, drat
drat that sucks

I know he'll be fine in a day or two but I think peak Barves would have to be breaking one of your top prospects by throwing a dead ball into his nuts

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

someone start teaching Tyler Flowers to memorize information about Playboy models

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

DoctaFun posted:

What kind of name is DoctaFun? I bet you don't even have a medical degree.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

DoctaFun posted:

Dozier ?

And Davey Johnson in 1973. Johnson's year is especially insane considering his previous high was 18, that being the only time he ever slugged more than 15 in a season.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

bawfuls posted:

I know Bleacher Creatures must have been pissed, but speaking as a Dodger fan, that is cool as hell.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
The Rangers beat the Astros tonight and improved to 32-10 in one run games, 7-1 in one run games against the Astros.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

The Rangers beat the Astros tonight and improved to 32-10 in one run games, 7-1 in one run games against the Astros.

#NeverEverQuit

Related: SSS obviously, but Carlos Gomez has actually been overall pretty good for the Rangers

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

The Rangers beat the Astros tonight and improved to 32-10 in one run games

this seems sustainable

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Yaya posted:

this seems sustainable

mmm yeah worrying about hte sustainability of a teams success in september

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Yeah. The Rangers this year remind me a lot of the 2012 Orioles. A team with a ridiculous record in one-run games playing way over their pythag.

The O's lost in the ALDS, for what its worth

EDIT: The Orioles bullpen was also much better than that of the Rangers now, so you can argue their one-run game record is more reasonable. fivethirtyeight actually has a pretty decent article on the comparison between the two that I found after making this post http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-texas-rangers-are-making-unsustainable-history-in-one-run-games/

EDIT #2: Also in case you're curious like I was, the team with the worst single-season record in one-run games was the 1935 Boston Braves, featuring Babe Ruth who went 7-31 in one-run games.

Yaya fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Sep 13, 2016

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

N: Daniel Norris stuck out 11 batters! :)

V: ...11 Twins batters :(

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I mean ... if you're thinking about potential playoff success it seems relevant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I mean ... if you're thinking about potential playoff success it seems relevant?

That kind of weird outlier luck isn't going to have any impact on a 5- or 7-game series.

• Locked thread