Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawk
Mar 31, 2013

PULL UP PULL loving UP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Welp, time to abandon the thread for a couple weeks.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Rumda posted:

So if they don't want to be groped they should dress so slutty? Because men can't help it?

No people can dress however they want. Weird and creepy people are gonna do weird and creepy poo poo regardless of what kind of signs you put up or rules you make.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

When I was a teenager I masturbated to some cosplay a couple times.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Kenning posted:

Did they kick you out of the convention hall?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

spog posted:

Did they kick you out of the convention hall?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Ok Fella posted:

No people can dress however they want. Weird and creepy people are gonna do weird and creepy poo poo regardless of what kind of signs you put up or rules you make.
Look, I'm just saying, methheads are gonna steal poo poo even if it IS against the law, so why do they bother making theft a crime in the first place? People are gonna commit murder even if it IS illegal, so why not just legalize it? Why bother putting up signs or rules ever about anything? gently caress the world, anarchy 5ever, grope a cosplayer

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ok Fella posted:

Eh he has a point though. You should be able to dress up or cosplay or whatever as a character and have fun but let's be realistic here, if you're practically naked in public you're going to get some unwanted attention. That's just something that is going to happen regardless of your gender.
You have identified the problem, but I'm not sure what your point is.

Ok Fella posted:

But you have rules so that you can penalise or remove those who break it, thus discouraging that behaviour or protecting others from it in future. Are you arguing that rules are pointless?

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...

thread pls...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

InediblePenguin posted:

Look, I'm just saying, methheads are gonna steal poo poo even if it IS against the law, so why do they bother making theft a crime in the first place? People are gonna commit murder even if it IS illegal, so why not just legalize it? Why bother putting up signs or rules ever about anything? gently caress the world, anarchy 5ever, grope a cosplayer

Tiggum posted:

You have identified the problem, but I'm not sure what your point is.

But you have rules so that you can penalise or remove those who break it, thus discouraging that behaviour or protecting others from it in future. Are you arguing that rules are pointless?

Making rules and laws is all fine and good but expecting everyone to abide by them just because they exist is pretty silly.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And that's how Archer got started

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Ok Fella posted:

Making rules and laws is all fine and good but expecting everyone to abide by them just because they exist is pretty silly.

If you don't explicitly condemn certain socially unacceptable behaviours, then you are implicitly condoning them. If there isn't a rule against it, then there's nothing to stop creeps from being lovely people*.

*aside from 'common sense' and 'understanding social cues and norms'; both of which creepy nerds are very much lacking.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

aaaaaa

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

aaaaaa

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

aaaaAA

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

AAAAAA

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

umalt posted:

*aside from 'common sense' and 'understanding social cues and norms'; both of which creepy nerds are very much lacking.

That's what I've been saying the whole time. Goddamn goons can't see the point when it's right in their face.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Ok Fella posted:

That's what I've been saying the whole time. Goddamn goons can't see the point when it's right in their face.

You're missing the point if it's is forbidden and the do it they get chucked the gently caress out. The rules dissuade people more if they are advertised.

Rumda has a new favorite as of 10:10 on Sep 13, 2016

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
So does anyone else think that the level of harassment directed at someone dressed like that would be waaay higher in almost any other setting?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Cumslut1895 posted:

So does anyone else think that the level of harassment directed at someone dressed like that would be waaay higher in almost any other setting?

That's because of things like Cosplay is not Consent

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Rumda posted:

That's because of things like Cosplay is not Consent

or are they just an easy target for criticism

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Costume play.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Cumslut1895 posted:

nope just you

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Alaois posted:

nope just you

Clearly you haven't been to a Shriners convention then.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

ryonguy posted:

"Don't grope people."

"Look, I agree, but, devil's advocate here, [endless :spergin:]"

You wrote this pages ago and then immediately it came true over and over again, gonna call you gropestradamus.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Nerds are dumb.

The signs also help people who receive attention that crosses a line know that it's okay to speak up.

It's okay to enjoy attention for wearing a costume and not enjoy being touched or creeped on with weird 'jokes' by people who 'don't mean anything' by it.

It's okay for conventions that want to be family friendly to boot Cammy and Kill la Kill costumes from the floor during the day.

None of these statements lessens the others.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Hey idiots try making good posts with funny pictures instead of terrible posts with no funny pictures thanks

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Send a bunch of hover-hands to the con. Problem solved!

Hover-Hands-Level-Expert.jpg

BrigadierSensible posted:

Yeah. It's not cool to take photos of strangers without asking first.

I mean, it's rude to do it to a random on the street, so it's also rude do it to the weirdo dressed as Sephiroth.

But Street Photography is a thing that people do?

Ak Gara has a new favorite as of 12:17 on Sep 13, 2016

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I mean, yeah, if you want to get down to brass tacks you can take pictures of anyone you want. The law basically says you have no expectation of privacy in public places.

Obviously you should ask to take pics of half-naked people with mental problems, but you're not required to legally.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I like to walk around downtown with a DSLR and just take pictures of everyone

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
To sum up, is cosplay really consent?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Kenning posted:

Talk about an extra hour in the ball pit

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Who the gently caress is Parie Dawn??

• Locked thread