Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

YeahTubaMike posted:

I was unaware that we had ever discussed this, but good. If it makes you feel any better, Fowler and Bryant are tied for a pretty close second.

Oh, I just meant through my votes. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Poque posted:

Oh, I just meant through my votes. :)

:doh: Right!

Speaking of votes, there are no more ties above #17 in the Most Hated List. :toot:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Coghlan beat Utley in my hated rankings because it wasn't the first time he had wrecked an infielder's season on a takeout slide. He also tore Iwamura's ACL back in 09.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6XBduEW8o5w

This also lends itself to the "Chris Coghlan hates Asian middle infielders" meme.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

That is both the correct way to eat Kit Kat and string cheese. Need to add him to my like list

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Goodpancakes posted:

That is both the correct way to eat Kit Kat and string cheese. Need to add him to my like list

Do you also eat a hot dog sandwich sides?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Goodpancakes posted:

*puts Goodpancakes on my most hated list* :mad:

edit: I would like to also say that counting votes for someone named Pancakes and another person named Goodpancakes was very confusing.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Popete posted:

Do you also eat a hot dog sandwich sides?

I have no idea what this means, Is that when you put ketchup on it?

YeahTubaMike posted:

*puts Goodpancakes on my most hated list* :mad:

edit: I would like to also say that counting votes for someone named Pancakes and another person named Goodpancakes was very confusing.

I'm the good one

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Goodpancakes posted:

I'm the good one

I hereby request that Pancakes change his username to Greatpancakes, or maybe even Bestpancakes.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

Just Cubspost
Man I wish we could vote for umps because fuuuuuuuck Joe West

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

YeahTubaMike posted:

I hereby request that Pancakes change his username to Greatpancakes, or maybe even Bestpancakes.

I'd been here for over three years before Goodpancakes showed up. I'm not going to change my name because of some young whippersnapper.

Alternately, you mean there's a... Bad Pancakes? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdilb_yErAk

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Man I wish we could vote for umps because fuuuuuuuck Joe West

Joe West and Angel Hernandez. Who's most hated, who's #2? That's all that thread would be. Well, that and fat jokes.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Don't forget Jerry Meals!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
:siren: This is the first time there are no ties on either list. Let us rejoice. :siren:

Most Hated #16, 24 pts: Yunel Escobar
Team: Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
Debut: June 2, 2007

#1 votes: 0
#2 votes: 0
#3 votes: 1

What's to hate? See above (for those who don't know, "tú eres maricón" roughly translates to "you are a human being"). He has since apologized for the "joke", but the deed is done.

On the bright side, he was suspended for it for three games, and the salary he would have earned was donated by the Jays organization to You Can Play (an organization dedicated to eliminating homophobia from sports) and GLAAD.

Current Rankings

Most Hated posted:

25. Joe Panik, Jered Weaver, Alejandro De Aza, Dansby Swanson, Matt Harvey
24. Josh Donaldson, Clay Buchholz
23. Jung-ho Kang, Eric Hosmer, Jeff Francoeur
22. Noah Syndergaard, Hunter Pence
21. Matt Holliday
20. Carlos Gomez
19. Darren O’Day, Matt Bush
18. Mike Trout, Dustin Pedroia
17. John Lackey, Chris Coghlan, Sean Rodriguez
16. Yunel Escobar

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 13, 2016

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Most Loved #16, 23 pts: Russell Martin
Team: Toronto Blue Jays
Debut: May 5, 2006

#3 votes: 0

What's to love? Russell Martin is a god damned defensive genius. He OCCASIONALLY (edit: thanks shadok :) )catches R.A. Dickey so he pretty much has to be, but still.

Also, he is partly named after John Coltrane, and that's awesome. Also also, he has a pretty sweet beard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_hGY06YSnM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE3zNiktXAg

Current Rankings

Most Loved posted:

25. Darwin Barney
24. Miguel Cabrera, Munenori Kawasaki, Corey Seager, Kyle Schwarber, Gary Sanchez
23. Troy Tulowitzki, David Ross
22. Chase Utley, Dae-ho Lee
21. Kyle Hendricks, Noah Syndergaard
20. Justin Verlander, Felix Hernandez, Mookie Betts
19. Salvador Perez
18. Addison Russell
17. Dexter Fowler, Giancarlo Stanton
16. Russell Martin

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 13, 2016

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

YeahTubaMike posted:

What's to love? Russell Martin is a god damned defensive genius. He catches R.A. Dickey so he pretty much has to be, but still.

Minor correction: Martin occasionally catches Dickey but usually Dickey has his personal catcher Josh "The Offensive Black Hole" Thole.

Also his dad is a cool-as-balls jazz musician, which is why one of Martin's middle names is Coltrane.

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2015/04/03/116270732/russell-martins-dad-plays-o-canada-on-the-sax

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

shadok posted:

Minor correction: Martin occasionally catches Dickey but usually Dickey has his personal catcher Josh "The Offensive Black Hole" Thole.

Thank you! I hope I don't come across as a lazy rear end when I write short/incomplete blurbs, but it's surprisingly difficult to come up with things to say about players I've literally never seen or heard of before.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

YeahTubaMike posted:

Thank you! I hope I don't come across as a lazy rear end when I write short/incomplete blurbs, but it's surprisingly difficult to come up with things to say about players I've literally never seen or heard of before.

On the contrary, you're clearly making a generous effort to appreciate why players you're unfamiliar with are so loved by their fans. Or hated. gently caress Yunel Escobar.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

shadok posted:

On the contrary, you're clearly making a generous effort to appreciate why players you're unfamiliar with are so loved by their fans.

Aw, thanks :unsmith: Glad that my work is appreciated!

quote:

Or hated. gently caress Yunel Escobar.

:agreed:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

YeahTubaMike posted:

:siren: This is the first time there are no ties on either list. Let us rejoice. :siren:

Most Hated #16, 24 pts: Yunel Escobar
Team: Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
Debut: June 2, 2007

What's to hate? See above (for those who don't know, "tú eres maricón" roughly translates to "you are a human being"). He has since apologized for the "joke", but the deed is done.

On the bright side, he was suspended for it for three games, and the salary he would have earned was donated by the Jays organization to You Can Play (an organization dedicated to eliminating homophobia from sports) and GLAAD.

Current Rankings

Whaaat?

This shitbag should be in the top 5, easy.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Red posted:

Whaaat?

This shitbag should be in the top 5, easy.

My theories about why he isn't:

-Other people have been assholes more recently.
-He hasn't physically harmed anyone.
-He apologized about it and actually seemed to kind of mean it.
-Not everyone knows that it happened at all.

I have super top secret inside knowledge of who made the top 5, and I assure you, the guys who are there absolutely deserve to be there.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I didn't vote for the guy because I just don't know enough baseball players to produce a good list of the worst. After Matt Harvey and a slew of wife bearing jackoffs I happen to know I ended up leaving off some real pricks who deserved it.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Unofficial vote for your favorite broadcaster: I vote for Bob Uecker for favorite, and whatever drunk redneck the Cardinals have in the booth for most hated.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
There is no point voting for favourite broadcaster until at least next year.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Goodpancakes posted:

Unofficial vote for your favorite broadcaster: I vote for Bob Uecker for favorite, and whatever drunk redneck the Cardinals have in the booth for most hated.

I love Uecker and Scully, but the best announcer in baseball today is:

Gary Thorne.

Magic voice, and years of calling the NHL (and college hockey, too) under his belt.

Please feel free to disagree. I'm one of the people who loved Jon Miller and Joe Morgan, purely because their voices were so friendly to TV.

Thorne just gives Orioles broadcasts such weight, they feel like a big deal having him do their games.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

YeahTubaMike posted:

I have super top secret inside knowledge of who made the top 5, and I assure you, the guys who are there absolutely deserve to be there.

I'm super enjoying the countdown format but can you pretty please let me know if any Cardinals made the favorite players list?

Goodpancakes posted:

Really? Mike Shannon's worse than Hawk for you? You've got some messed up priorities.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Pancakes posted:

I'm super enjoying the countdown format but can you pretty please let me know if any Cardinals made the favorite players list?

Really? Mike Shannon's worse than Hawk for you? You've got some messed up priorities.

Most hated announcer doesn't even need a vote. It's a race for 2nd after Hawk.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Goodpancakes posted:

Vin at #1, and I love David Cone because he has hilarious stories from his playing days and isn't afraid of advanced stats.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Feel free to not consider Joe Buck as a broadcaster, but rather a terrible human being

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Pancakes posted:

I can and will! In the immortal words of The Zombies, "no, no, no, no, nononono no, no, no, no, nononono no, no, no, no." (edit: the most highly ranked Card, at 10 points, was Carlos Martínez.)

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

YeahTubaMike posted:

Not to be rude, but how could you possibly have never heard of Russell Martin?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
One of my favorite Yankee Martin moments was him giving a post-game interview dressed head-to-toe in acid-washed denim. :canada:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The most important Russell Martin fact that was omitted is that he's Canadian. It is cool to see Canadian players get to shine in Toronto.

I am glad he's represented well on the list by Jays posters because I still have love for that man despite him not making my list. His Dodger years were great and I've been happy to see his career resurgence in recent years after he looked like he was headed for an early exit.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 14, 2016

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/how-far-can-russell-martin-carry-the-blue-jays/

Must-read Russell Martin profile. The dude is cool.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

One of my favorite Yankee Martin moments was him giving a post-game interview dressed head-to-toe in acid-washed denim. :canada:

Ah, the Canadian Tuxedo

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

ALFbrot posted:

Not to be rude, but how could you possibly have never heard of Russell Martin?

1) Not even slightly my type :shobon:

2) I was an NYC baseball fan as a kid in the '90s and early '00s, and I rediscovered baseball in general when I finally got a job that paid me well enough to have hobbies. When Russell Martin was a Yankee, my primary focus in life was not starving to death.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Most Hated #15, 24 pts: Alex Rodriguez
Team: New York Yankees
Debut: July 8, 1994

#1 votes: 1

What's to hate? Constantly using PEDs, constantly lying about it, constantly only admitting it after he's been caught.

Also, he cheated on his wife a whole bunch. Zero integrity. If my mom were a goon, and thank goodness she isn't, he would have had 2 #1 votes.

Current Rankings

Most Hated posted:

25. Joe Panik, Jered Weaver, Alejandro De Aza, Dansby Swanson, Matt Harvey
24. Josh Donaldson, Clay Buchholz
23. Jung-ho Kang, Eric Hosmer, Jeff Francoeur
22. Noah Syndergaard, Hunter Pence
21. Matt Holliday
20. Carlos Gomez
19. Darren O’Day, Matt Bush
18. Mike Trout, Dustin Pedroia
17. John Lackey, Chris Coghlan, Sean Rodriguez
16. Yunel Escobar
15. Alex Rodriguez

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Most Loved #15 (2-way tie), 24 pts: R.A. Dickey, Edwin Encarnacion

R.A. Dickey
Debut: April 22, 2001

#3 votes: 2

What's to love?

R.A. Dickey is a knuckleball pitcher, which is already awesome, but he is also a great guy who has overcome a lot of terrible poo poo in his life to get to where he is today.

https://twitter.com/Jared_Hines27/status/654499305374355456

Also, he is a literal freak of nature, as he was apparently born without a UCL.

Dr. James Andrews posted:

Curses, foiled again! :argh:

Edwin Encarnacion
Debut: June 24, 2005

#2 votes: 1

What's to love?

Rakes so magnificently that he received an official endorsement from the Rakemaster himself.

ESPN posted:

Ortiz caused a stir at the All-Star Game in San Diego when he suggested the Red Sox should consider Encarnacion as their DH in 2017. Ortiz is retiring at the end of this season, and Encarnacion will be a free agent in November.

"The Red Sox know that they need to reinforce the middle of the lineup," Ortiz said during a July 12 news conference. "And sorry Blue Jays, but who better than Encarnacion to do that?"

He's been mired in some...shall we say, personal difficulties, lately, but while the story's still developing, his offensive prowess can't possibly be ignored.

Current Rankings

Most Loved posted:

25. Darwin Barney
24. Miguel Cabrera, Munenori Kawasaki, Corey Seager, Kyle Schwarber, Gary Sanchez
23. Troy Tulowitzki, David Ross
22. Chase Utley, Dae-ho Lee
21. Kyle Hendricks, Noah Syndergaard
20. Justin Verlander, Felix Hernandez, Mookie Betts
19. Salvador Perez
18. Addison Russell
17. Dexter Fowler, Giancarlo Stanton
16. Russell Martin
15. R.A. Dickey, Edwin Encarnacion

Red
Apr 15, 2003

bawfuls posted:

It is cool to see Canadian players get to shine in Toronto.

110% absolutely agreed. Having Canadian players on a Canadian team only helps the fanbase stay involved with the team, and is great for the sport.

I wish it were feasible to have an MLB team in Japan or Latin America for the same reasons.

Edit: I didn't vote for A-Rod because he's finally gone, and in a fashion he deserves.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Red posted:

Edit: I didn't vote for A-Rod because he's finally gone, and in a fashion he deserves.

He's #4 for me. There's worse behavior out there and yes, he's gone now but to have such a heel be so high in so many career categories is just upsetting and this is (hopefully) the last year he's active and eligible for this list. For now I just need to root for Albert to pass him on all the lists.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

Just Cubspost

The best part about this gif is the catcher closing his eyes and praying he catches it

I have RA Dickey's book, and despite being a bit Jesusy, it's worth reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Centaur had better finish higher on the most loved list than he does on the most hated list. Wasn't he in the top-3 last year?

• Locked thread