Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Fudge posted:

SkyKick, Bit Titan, and probably more automate cloud to cloud or on prem to cloud migrations. You shouldn't have to do anything by hand other than make sure suffixes or AD properties are in place because you if you're not using AD Sync it ain't worth it.

I'd seen Bit Titan before but I'll check out SkyKick as well. Thank you!

This was part of a bigger project for my 2016 budget, to get on O365 for apps too. Since my boss refused to meet with me to discuss the budget (that she'd asked me to create) none of the projects could happen. I decided last month to cherry pick a couple of things and present them individually for approval in case that actually works. Otherwise I'll be taking my 2016 budget and stamping 2017 on it and giving it another try for next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

pixaal posted:

Home can't join a domain (you likely know this), so it would have been a giant pain in the rear end to get it work without having to touch each computer.

Oh I know, that was another conversation we had. He was a really nice guy but had no idea what he was doing. Everytime he asked me for help, I'd end up just laughing and walking out of the meeting.

Once, he asked me to help him punch down some cables after hours. it wasn't my job at all, but I wanted to help, so I told him sure, but I wanted to see ahead of time a diagram of where he wanted to wire, all the tools we'd be using, the cables, and any other materials the day before, so I don't plan for it, and then we don't have anything ready. I told him I will not be providing any tools or materials and if he wanted my help planning, I'd do that, but we have to do it the week before. He says he's fine, and he'll take care of everything.

Friday at five, I walk over to him and say "hey, we ready to wire, because you didn't send me a diagram, and I don't see any tools or cables here."

"Oh yeah, I'm about to run to Home Depot and get everything now. You can wait a couple hours, right?"

Nope. I'm not going to sit here until 8pm while you drive 15 miles in NJ rush hour traffic to buy a box of cable the day of the job. We'll try again next week.

He got really angry, and I told him I'm sorry, but this is not how it works.

The following Friday the same thing happened, he was completely unprepared.

When he finally had everything ready, and all the cables pulled, turned out it was punching down two 48 port patch panels. The guy told me it was just a couple runs, but he meant a couple panels. 96 runs. At 5pm he shows me the wiring bundle, and was just stunned. He says "listen, I'm sorry but I'm out of cable, I have to run back out and get some more cable." I just laughed at him. It was madness. I told him I'll be done before he got back, and he didn't believe me. Three hours later, he's back, and I'm sitting at my desk. He said "what the hell eric, why are you just sitting there?" I pointed at the rack, showed him it was done, and said "I'm going home". I'll punch down whatever you run tonight next week. You need to plan better."

That guy cost me so much time, when he'd break our network by plugging in random linksys routes with DHCP turned on, with out STP or anything to protect the network, I didn't have admin access to the switches, so I couldn't help. It was just such a huge hassle.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Holy hell that's less asking for help and more asking for a babysitter to handhold him through his project.

96 runs and he's just gonna hop out to Home Depot at 5 PM on Friday and hope he guesses how much poo poo he needs? Amazing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm so glad I don't have to run cables anymore.

Granted, our networking guys get stuff done at a glacial pace because they're overworked so if I want something on a specific date I gotta factor in their 2 week lag time, but if it means I don't have to crimp or punch or coil or even look at a wire I'll happily take what they can offer.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

96 runs is not 'get some help and do it after work' kind of a task more a call in the cabling contractor and tell them what you need kind of a task.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Varkk posted:

96 runs is not 'get some help and do it after work' kind of a task more a call in the cabling contractor and tell them what you need kind of a task.

Seriously. I only agreed since he said it was a couple punch downs. The third week, when he was finally ready I was traveling all week and only came to office on Friday to help him. I was feeling pretty irritated and I did the punch downs because he was so snotty that I couldn't do it before he was back. I revenge punched as fast as I could.

The company really had a weird idea about infrastructure and investing. They would reject some necessary things and then approve other really off wall stuff. I was not hired as an in-house IT, but for the first six months everything fell on me since they didn't have anyone. They hired that guy because my manager was tired of them using me for like fixing printers and the like. I begged them to get a wiring contractor. I knew several personally that would give them a great deal, but that guy kept saying he would do it and if I just helped it'd be easy. The sort of blamed the problems he cause on me not helping out, like why he couldn't put the windows pcs on the domain he decided to set up, like it my fault somehow that since I pointed out Windows Home can't join a domain, but fortunately I had all sorts of emails and records of me talking to him, and I quit before it because an issue.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

xzzy posted:

I'm so glad I don't have to run cables anymore.

Granted, our networking guys get stuff done at a glacial pace because they're overworked so if I want something on a specific date I gotta factor in their 2 week lag time, but if it means I don't have to crimp or punch or coil or even look at a wire I'll happily take what they can offer.

At my new job we are moving offices in a month. We are contracting out the wiring. I asked my manager I'd could buy some wiring tools just in case and he told me shut up and not offer to wire because if word gets out I can wire the bosses may just decide to have us do it. I almost kissed him.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I don't offer to do things I shouldn't do, or don't want to do.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My coworker just dumped a ticket on me because he's in class....

And I'm sure when I bring it up tomorrow the lead's gonna be like welllllll he's in class that's sacrosanct so gently caress you. So because he needs to take his stupid general eds I'm basically on call for two nights a week. Wonderful.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Surely he doesn't have class 7 nights a week and can switch on call to accommodate his schedule? Make him take one of your days.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah I'm going to see if I can make a deal.

It's like dude, whenever I have a thing that on call interferes with I arrange it with someone well ahead of time. Under no circumstance have I ever just assumed my secondary was going to pick up my loving slack and fobbed it off on him.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sounds like time to take a class yourself!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That gets you a "sorry we can't have the entire department unavailable in the evenings, so you're still on call."

Basically only the first one gets to exploit the system.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Jerk McJerkface posted:

At my new job we are moving offices in a month. We are contracting out the wiring. I asked my manager I'd could buy some wiring tools just in case and he told me shut up and not offer to wire because if word gets out I can wire the bosses may just decide to have us do it. I almost kissed him.

One thing I learned, is that sometimes it just doesn't pay to be competent.

Helping out is great and all, but doing it too much sets a precedent and you end up being played like a chump (unless you have good management to back you up).

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Super Slash posted:

One thing I learned, is that sometimes it just doesn't pay to be competent.

Helping out is great and all, but doing it too much sets a precedent and you end up being played like a chump (unless you have good management to back you up).

Rule of Acquisition #2: If you do something well, never do it for free

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Fudge posted:

O365 is loving sweet. Death to on prem email solutions, they're loving garbage.

Death to the O365 admin interface (and anything built in Sharepoint in general) it's a horrible POS.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Crowley posted:

Death to the O365 admin interface (and anything built in Sharepoint in general) it's a horrible POS.

I don't really like the ECP too much either.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

SEKCobra posted:

I don't really like the ECP too much either.

Well no, but compared to the O365 interface it's lightning fast.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

MAMP Pro really has no business being so expensive in this day and age.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Crowley posted:

For Exchange it's literally the same thing as the Exchange 2013 GUI :laugh:

The admin interface for O365 pisses me off because my company resells O365 and the drat site gets stuck in partner admin consoles, won't show me everything I need randomly, and other weird little quirks. It's still really awesome though.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

You guys should really just use SnagIt. Use Jing if you done want to pay.

Ynglaur posted:

You guys should really just use SnagIt. Use Jing if you done want to pay.

stubblyhead posted:

Greenshot used to be my preferred screen scraper, but snipping tool does pretty much everything I need. A guy I was working with recently had printkey 2000 or something installed on his laptop, it was all I could do to not mock him for it.

I will still stick with Greenshot. Fast, easy, and the integration with external services rock. Plus it is currently only taking 4.1 Mb of RAM on my system. Plus it doesn't do obnoxious stuff like SnagIt and Jing. It just sits there waiting for me to invoke it, nice and quiet in my system tray.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
MSTPMO:

I understand that my management is not going to ask me pretty please to do something, but when they have stuff for me to do, I wish they would just tell me instead of threaten. Instead of:

X needs to be done by 10/1, do it.

We get:

X needs to be done by 10/1. There will be weekly reports on status and all who are found out of compliance with project schedules will be reported to upper management.

The most recent happened on Friday when I was off and now i am 2 days behind on something that needs to show progress by tomorrow.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm currently listening to the 20 year old new guy argue that we should change the entire infrastructure of the company over to linux because its better an easier.

My manager, bless him, is letting the guy say his bit without biting his head off. Although i'm not to sure if he's heard the guy bitching about the lack of linux during the entirety of his first month here.

Less "poo poo that pisses me off" and more "mild amusement" I suppose.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Nothing is funnier than short sighted linux zealots. Remember '2010 is the year of the lnux desktop' !? That was the year people started abandoning desktops wholesale!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Crowley posted:

For some reason there's an O365 admin portal app for smartphones/tablets. It doesn't include any of the Exchange/SharePoint/etc. admin portals, so it's largely pointless, but I think I gave a user a license while in a meeting and that impressed my boss.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

dogstile posted:

I'm currently listening to the 20 year old new guy argue that we should change the entire infrastructure of the company over to linux because its better an easier.

My manager, bless him, is letting the guy say his bit without biting his head off. Although i'm not to sure if he's heard the guy bitching about the lack of linux during the entirety of his first month here.

Less "poo poo that pisses me off" and more "mild amusement" I suppose.

Poor guy, so optimistic about what end-users can handle. I hope we get updates after 6 months of fielding tier 1 tickets where 40 something professionals making bank freak out because a shortcut moved on their desktop, or god help you if Office 2010 is upgraded to Office 2013.

Once he abandons all hope that users actually understand computers ask him if you should revisit migrating to Linux.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm all for bringing in a new OS if it turns out to be the best tool to use for a given task, but wholesale "re-integrate EVERYTHING to acquire an unproven benefit" should be an offense worthy of termination.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

xzzy posted:

I'm all for bringing in a new OS if it turns out to be the best tool to use for a given task, but wholesale "re-integrate EVERYTHING to acquire an unproven benefit" should be an offense worthy of termination.

Too light.

Punishing by beating with a Buffalo NAS is more appropriate.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Poor guy, so optimistic about what end-users can handle. I hope we get updates after 6 months of fielding tier 1 tickets where 40 something professionals making bank freak out because a shortcut moved on their desktop, or god help you if Office 2010 is upgraded to Office 2013.

Once he abandons all hope that users actually understand computers ask him if you should revisit migrating to Linux.

Better is "this new version sucks" when going from 2013 to 2016. I haven't found anything different between the two using the default UI. No one is using the Dark theme (which I believe has since been added back into 2016). Please tell me what "sucks" about this new version. Oh it wiped out your recent documents? Is that your only complaint? No you can't figure out who to put a picture into your word document? It's in the same exact place!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Pretty sure desktops aren't infrastructure, and it's not too difficult to make Linux servers transparent to end users, so that isn't really a valid point.

Change for the sake of change is always stupid tho. His only real case might be to do Linux servers moving forward, but even then the cost savings of not licensing the os and a few related pieces of software would be offset by the higher cost in man power to run and maintain the machines, so a business need is the only reason to do it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

RFC2324 posted:

Pretty sure desktops aren't infrastructure, and it's not too difficult to make Linux servers transparent to end users, so that isn't really a valid point.

Change for the sake of change is always stupid tho. His only real case might be to do Linux servers moving forward, but even then the cost savings of not licensing the os and a few related pieces of software would be offset by the higher cost in man power to run and maintain the machines, so a business need is the only reason to do it.

Sometimes it's hard for a new person in IT to think beyond that they have a job and want to improve everything. The real thing before adding anything is ask a few questions

Who else on the team can support this?
If this breaks and I'm on vacation will I be getting a phone call?
If I leave am I adding another skill that will be required for my replacement?
If Yes, is the skill reasonable for someone with all the other skills required to have? (such as windows admin and powershell, windows admin and pearl is going to be a harder skill combination to find)

These questions are what you will weight the above against

How much easier does this make my job?
What will happen if this isn't maintained? (Will it just go back to the way it was, or will things catch fire)
How valuable is it to the company?

These should be obvious but people forget it all the time. Maybe get him to answer the above questions, add a few, change a few, whatever you really need. Pet servers are a pain in the rear end.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

skooma512 posted:

Rule of Acquisition #2: If you do something well, never do it for free

Pretty sure that was the joker in one of the batman movies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FalHdi2DkEg&t=107s

Anyone in the DFW area going to Devops days this week? Apparently I'll be going!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

pixaal posted:

These should be obvious but people forget it all the time. Maybe get him to answer the above questions, add a few, change a few, whatever you really need. Pet servers are a pain in the rear end.

Pet servers are awesome AS LONG AS the environment doesn't change when it's unplugged and thrown in the trash.

Got some cool add-on monitoring and alerting service you want to kick up, or an automation box that holds and runs scripts for you to make your life easier? Cool, pet server it is.

Need an application that runs critical tasks and schedules / manages reboots of servers as required by the vendor? gently caress you for using a pet server and not a uniform infrastructure-conforming well-documented server :argh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pixaal posted:

Sometimes it's hard for a new person in IT to think beyond that they have a job and want to improve everything. The real thing before adding anything is ask a few questions

Or just let them wallow in it for a few years, ignore all their pie in the sky suggestions and give the system a chance to break down their enthusiasm. It happens to everyone, fresh grad shows up ready to conquer the world not realizing they're actually a cog in a system.

Too bad universities don't teach kids that unless you got the next bomb like Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg had, you're not going to be a world changing juggernaut.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

And that's why alcoholism is so common in IT.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dammit.

Over the last couple years, the owners kid has came in "Oh I need a monitor for home my dad said to see what you guys have", "My dad said to ask you if you have a laptop nobody is using that I can take to school" etc

No big deal, helps me get rid of junk.

Owners kid went to college the last weekend, so guess who's room got cleaned? That loving kid.

Owner parked his SUV outside and it's full of all the poo poo we gave him over the last few years. Blah.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

xzzy posted:

Or just let them wallow in it for a few years, ignore all their pie in the sky suggestions and give the system a chance to break down their enthusiasm. It happens to everyone, fresh grad shows up ready to conquer the world not realizing they're actually a cog in a system.

Too bad universities don't teach kids that unless you got the next bomb like Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg had, you're not going to be a world changing juggernaut.

Seriously, at my last job everytime there was an question about how do we solve this problem, one of the guys would suggest "Just do it in filemaker!" Need a new CRM? "File maker" need to track client resources? "File maker" track projects "File maker!"

Every time he'd bring it up, I'd ask him why not just get piece of software that does what we need perfectly, instead of him taking time from billing clients to work on a filemaker system that won't work well? He'd argue, then I'd ask him

where are you going to host it?

-Oh, my laptop

no, that's unacceptable, do we even own filemaker? we'd need about forty people to be able to connect to it

-I took a copy of filemaker pro from my last job, it should be fine

no that's unacceptable, what do we do if you quit or aren't in the office and take your laptop with you?

-it gives me job security

lololololol nope

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

Dammit.

Over the last couple years, the owners kid has came in "Oh I need a monitor for home my dad said to see what you guys have", "My dad said to ask you if you have a laptop nobody is using that I can take to school" etc

No big deal, helps me get rid of junk.

Owners kid went to college the last weekend, so guess who's room got cleaned? That loving kid.

Owner parked his SUV outside and it's full of all the poo poo we gave him over the last few years. Blah.

At $AWFUL_JOB it wasn't uncommon for me to go on vacation and come back to find my desk empty of all things, my monitor gone, my laptop, dock, everything. The boss decided his kids needed a laptop and would just take mine. Cool, so I bill $200 an hour, so now I have to spend all day finding a laptop that works in our broken pile of garbage, and reinstalling everything, not to mention that I lost files now, so for $1600, you paid to waste my day.

Thanks!

Eventually I got to the point where I'd ziptie everything, I got monitor stands, so the monitors were useless to steal, and I'd take my laptop, charger, wireless keyboard and mouse home with me when I went away for more than a day.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Seriously, at my last job everytime there was an question about how do we solve this problem, one of the guys would suggest "Just do it in filemaker!" Need a new CRM? "File maker" need to track client resources? "File maker" track projects "File maker!"

Every time he'd bring it up, I'd ask him why not just get piece of software that does what we need perfectly, instead of him taking time from billing clients to work on a filemaker system that won't work well? He'd argue, then I'd ask him

where are you going to host it?

-Oh, my laptop

no, that's unacceptable, do we even own filemaker? we'd need about forty people to be able to connect to it

-I took a copy of filemaker pro from my last job, it should be fine

no that's unacceptable, what do we do if you quit or aren't in the office and take your laptop with you?

-it gives me job security

lololololol nope

People who are willing to use FileMaker for anything are figuratively retarded and literally the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Don't you have recyclers in your area who will come pick up scrap metal for free?