Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Grozz Nuy posted:

If only they hadn't wasted two entire years trying to get Reigns over at the expense of everyone else when it wouldn't take

is there even someone else from these past 2 years that could have been the next Cena besides the handsome blue-eyed samoan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

They should have just given Batista the belt and not enabled Bryan to continue doing what he was doing

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

correct me if I'm wrong but wasnt the last the financial meeting about the wwe basically saying they had record numbers, especially for wrestlemania? why should they even give a gently caress about their ratings? it's almost approaching levels of "nintendo is doomed" poo poo because they've had poo poo ratings before, for years on end, and nothing changed

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Aye Doc posted:

is there even someone else from these past 2 years that could have been the next Cena besides the handsome blue-eyed samoan?

Probably not? Maybe if they had turned Rollins face during his reign and stopped booking him like a complete geek? They've never gotten behind somebody the fans actually like to the same degree as Roman so there's no way to know.

If they had figured out to push Bryan about 3 years before his brain turned to swiss cheese then maybe they wouldn't be in this position, but they've got nobody to blame for that but themselves.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Aye Doc posted:

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Alain Post posted:

John Cena's program with Lesnar in the summer of '14 was the last time he was realistically "on top". the decline in ratings since then is a good indication to what he meant to the company

Sign them younger, as they seem to be doing with some prospects now. Use the PC for promos and conveying personality, and teach them not to go all out for weekly shows and that there's a time and a place for everything.

That last ones hard when Raw has 3 loving hours to fill every week though

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

correct me if I'm wrong but wasnt the last the financial meeting about the wwe basically saying they had record numbers, especially for wrestlemania? why should they even give a gently caress about their ratings? it's almost approaching levels of "nintendo is doomed" poo poo because they've had poo poo ratings before, for years on end, and nothing changed

That same meeting they touted their Mania "record attendance" number said at the event, which was already confirmed that hour as bullshit

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

They should have just given Batista the belt and not enabled Bryan to continue doing what he was doing

Should've let Bryan have the belt in 2013. The fan hatred wouldn't have been what it was if they let him have a summerslam or HiaC to Rumble run or whatever.

Also feel like this would've helped Reigns' reaction the next year but a lot of that was poo poo like "magic beans" and not understanding what got Roman over in the first place

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

I just don't believe that we have had some dearth of potential stars since 2001. I think probably that charisma and talking ability is a skill and by doing overly scripted promos, you don't allow people to develop that skill. There may be some Austin-level talker on the roster, who just hasn't lived up to their potential because they haven't had the opportunity to learn and improve

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Should've let Bryan have the belt in 2013. The fan hatred wouldn't have been what it was if they let him have a summerslam or HiaC to Rumble run or whatever.

The time to do it was at Hell in a Cell and then have him hold the title until the Brock switch at Summerslam, but instead they had to do that unfathomably stupid HBK gently caress finish.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Grozz Nuy posted:

Probably not? Maybe if they had turned Rollins face during his reign and stopped booking him like a complete geek? They've never gotten behind somebody the fans actually like to the same degree as Roman so there's no way to know.

If they had figured out to push Bryan about 3 years before his brain turned to swiss cheese then maybe they wouldn't be in this position, but they've got nobody to blame for that but themselves.
Another factor with being the next John Cena is being totally willing to do everything the company asks you

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Another factor with being the next John Cena is being totally willing to do everything the company asks you

Which is already impossible because nobody else would learn Mandarin for a press conference

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

They just signed like 12 Chinese wrestlers so there's no need for anyone else to learn

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

no one is going to be the next cena because nobody else is crazy enough to work that many dates, do that many events without breaking, or have enough daddy issues to remain so loyal to vince mcmahon. cena is a freak and a workhorse the likes of which is inhuman. The roster is flowing with more talent than they have ever had but nobody would ever have the workrate of john cena learning loving mandarin for a press conference in china.

the only thing you can do going forward is cut back on the house shows or even the hours of each program, which are now longer than ever to the point of loving torture. that's the only way you won't kill your prospects like TJ Perkins, Rich Swann, etc etc

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

oldpainless posted:

They just signed like 12 Chinese wrestlers so there's no need for anyone else to learn

Honestly I just assumed these Chinese wrestlers knew Chinese which was an error on my part. I would not assume a Mexican knew Spanish and so I apologize to any Orientals I may have offended.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

I just don't believe that we have had some dearth of potential stars since 2001. I think probably that charisma and talking ability is a skill and by doing overly scripted promos, you don't allow people to develop that skill. There may be some Austin-level talker on the roster, who just hasn't lived up to their potential because they haven't had the opportunity to learn and improve

it's not even about talking ability really, you just need someone with a lot of charisma who can connect with the crowd. Dean was probably it because he had that and the mic work but they cut him off at the knees just like Roman

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

Because they get an absolute shitload of money for their network contract with USA and if/when the ratings keep sinking, the network can start to lowball them the next time the contract comes up. They can lose huuuuge amounts of money. And they need RAW to be on TV: No TV show, no new viewers, slow death becomes a whole lot faster.

Aye Doc posted:

big cass is the only dude actually protected enough and who meets all of the wwe checklist of things to have for a star, which is an absolute terrifying future.

Big Cass is good

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Grozz Nuy posted:

The time to do it was at Hell in a Cell and then have him hold the title until the Brock switch at Summerslam, but instead they had to do that unfathomably stupid HBK gently caress finish.

That would be cool but even HiaC to the Rumble would be fine. gently caress, Batista wanted to come back as a heel, have him win it during his first match back as Hollywood Batista to piss off the fans on purpose and have him defend against Punk in the WM main. Hell, Punk can drop it back in time for the Guardians of the Galaxy press stuff. Batista is happy, Punk gets his main and presumably doesn't burn the bridge, fans don't start revolting.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I think the rise of MMA has a huge hand in WWE's decline. The casual fan is way more likely to watch a UFC fight than any WWE PPV. UFC has long surpassed WWE in terms of quality thanks to Vince ruining the product.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Big Cass is good

he is and he is improving well but he is not good enough to be The Dude like that. he's more green than Roman was at the start of his superpush when everyone turned on him, and I can already see his and Enzo's act dying a miserable overexposure death if he becomes more central to the show

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

MinibarMatchman posted:

no one is going to be the next cena because nobody else is crazy enough to work that many dates, do that many events without breaking, or have enough daddy issues to remain so loyal to vince mcmahon. cena is a freak and a workhorse the likes of which is inhuman. The roster is flowing with more talent than they have ever had but nobody would ever have the workrate of john cena learning loving mandarin for a press conference in china.

the only thing you can do going forward is cut back on the house shows or even the hours of each program, which are now longer than ever to the point of loving torture. that's the only way you won't kill your prospects like TJ Perkins, Rich Swann, etc etc

Seriously, Cena is a once in a lifetime specimen and trying to fit everyone who comes after him into the Cena mold is just going to fall flat.

Also, no one's sitting through an entire 3 hour show to see one guy who's on screen for less than half an hour. Stop making your undercard talent look like jokes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

JT Smiley posted:

Also, no one's sitting through an entire 3 hour show to see one guy who's on screen for less than half an hour.

People did for Cena.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The next Cena should be Bayley.

If WWE wanted to actually make the women important rather than just somewhere lower in the card, they could have her be a huge star.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Codependent Poster posted:

The next Cena should be Bayley.

If WWE wanted to actually make the women important rather than just somewhere lower in the card, they could have her be a huge star.

"So, you think you're unhuggable?"

WORD LIFE. This is Basic Huganomics.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Gonz posted:

Basic Huganomics.

Yes. Also I want to see a five knuckle cuddle.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Yes. Also I want to see a five knuckle cuddle.

Vince could open a US Mint printing press at his house with his new license to create money.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Uh, Huggatude Adjustment

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Gonz posted:

Vince could open a US Mint printing press at his house with his new license to create money.

people say this with so much certainty, is she moving a lot of nxt merch or something?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Concussion awareness and the upswing towards social harmony has probably not done wrestling any favors.
Wrestling isn't nearly popular enough for people to overlook their consternation towards a generation of dead/brain damaged performance unlike say, the NFL.
And Wrestling's core constituents have the reputation of being less than progressive. This was well and fine in the 80's when any foreigner could be treated as a heel without fans calling it well, tone-deaf or in the 90's when The Rock could do his thing without being called out for being a homophobic, misogynistic bully. Now? Not so much.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 14, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Mulaney Power Move posted:

people say this with so much certainty, is she moving a lot of nxt merch or something?

I'm not sure about her merch numbers, but it just seems like a no-brainer. She's ultra family friendly, kids LOVE her (especially little girls), she's very colorful and happy, and if they just made her Lady Cena, the merch possibilities seem unlimited. She would be an excellent media ambassador like Cena, as well.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

Concussion awareness and the upswing towards social harmony has probably not done wrestling any favors.
Wrestling isn't nearly popular enough for people to overlook their consternation towards a generation of dead/brain damaged performance unlike say, the NFL.
And Wrestling's core constituents have always been the more...regressive members of society. This was well and fine in the 80's when any foreigner could be treated as a heel without fans calling it well, tone-deaf or in the 90's when The Rock could do his thing without being called out for being a homophobic, misogynistic bully. Now? Not so much.

Time to be like the ultra-popular green arrow and go the completely opposite direction with wrestling

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I still believe had it not been for Maria, Mike Bennett would have been signed to be the next Cena.

That's not me saying he should have been, just that I think it would have happened.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Gonz posted:

I'm not sure about her merch numbers, but it just seems like a no-brainer. She's ultra family friendly, kids LOVE her (especially little girls), she's very colorful and happy, and if they just made her Lady Cena, the merch possibilities seem unlimited. She would be an excellent media ambassador like Cena, as well.

i think the "lady" part of "lady cena" might be more limiting than you think for your general wrestling audience, but i'm no market researcher

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i think the "lady" part of "lady cena" might be more limiting than you think for your general wrestling audience, but i'm no market researcher

Of course, I could be totally wrong. But I just feel like creating a mega popular female version of Cena and ultimately appealing to a broader section of the crowd isn't necessarily a bad idea.

Though I never underestimate Vince's ability to totally screw up a good thing.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
when we talk about ratings, the thing I always think about is the shifting market demos, which is something Meltzer talks about a lot IIRC. there is very little 18-24, even 24-30 crowd for wrestling. there just aren't new viewers other than kids, and without a Cena-like character, why would they want to watch? meanwhile, the people in that 18-30 demo who grew up watching it are getting sick of it, and because fewer kids are watching, they aren't being replaced.

this is why I think there's actually a bright future for the indies and flippy poo poo because I think it's actually way easier to get young people to give those a shot instead of WWE. it's giffable, clippable, easy to share, and cheap. it's presented as fun and silly, which means that people normally turned off by the idea of "fake fighting" can easily get on board - if it clearly doesn't take itself seriously, it's much more approachable, imo.

if I were an indie right now, I'd be trying to strike a Hulu/Netflix deal to get onto a mainstream streaming platform. I think this is going to be what makes indies more than just a thing for smarks. if I can show someone some gifs and then go "and if you have a Hulu sub you can just watch this," it's instantly the most accessible wrestling to a new viewer, even moreso than WWE (since many the 18-30 demo don't have cable). even that WhatCulture thing seems like a basically solid idea, though I'm sure Youtube ads don't even begin to cover the cost, so I'm curious to see what they try to do to become more than just a loss-leader.

meanwhile, it's basically impossible to get into modern WWE. I was able to because I like hanging out in GDTs and smark about things, but my roommate, who does not do anything like that, found it unwatchable. he does like the CWC due to the flippy poo poo, and he likes NXT due to the consistent storylines, and so I look at those as the future of how WWE is going to have to draw in a younger audience (not necessarily kids of course, but the 18-30 demo that did not grow up with wrestling).

and ofc, w/r/t getting kids into it: Push Bayley

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

and ofc, w/r/t getting kids into it: Push Roman Reigns

Kids love nap time. And hell, so do I.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i hope smackdown wins this week if only so that "james ellsworth is a draw" becomes an objectively true fact

e: awww

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 14, 2016

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

I think you guys are slightly overrating Cena. He sort of held the business on a steady but he didn't cause a wrestling boom period the way you could argue for Hogan, Austin or even Rock. His longevity is the most remarkable thing.

Also obviously Bayley is not the next Cena, god drat

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Kewl Graff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I miss John Cena

• Locked thread