Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah gently caress you for wanting an engagement ring that speaks to you as a person get back in the box with the bland blob of shiny you're supposed to want like a good consumer.

Also I wonder if the dudes working on Sonic Mania are starting to feel a lot of pressure.

The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Mobius – Revenge of Robotnik: The Official Game of the Movie – Chapter 2 of the Sonic Hedgehog SaGa will come out and be a Good Game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/dreamcastmod/status/772295860134612993

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
A for adults only

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I don't think rain in your eyeballs works that way.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Pureauthor posted:

To be fair, Sonic's eyeballs have always been a great unsolved mystery of science.

_____!
May 2, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

Here are stupid good quality rips of Sega Genesis / Mega Drive music:
http://16bap.theclassicgamer.net/media/

If you have emulator rips or youtube downloads of these then get them again from here, the sound is a little different.

http://16bap.theclassicgamer.net/faq/

Also worth checking out are the demo versions of the Sonic 1 and 2 songs. It was neat to hear what they were originally composed like.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pureauthor posted:

Not rain, no

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'm surprised he's able to hold his eyes/eye open in all that nut rain.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
https://www.sonicstadium.org/2016/09/the-creative-director-of-sonic-boom-fire-ice-speaks-out-on-changes-over-shattered-crystal/

Interview with the creative director of Fire & Ice. He emphasizes that they tried to make this title a lot speedier than the last, and I definitely got that sense from playing the demo. I guess it could still fall apart in the late game, but after a year long delay to polish I think it'll wind up being pretty fun overall.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Dresh posted:

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2016/09/the-creative-director-of-sonic-boom-fire-ice-speaks-out-on-changes-over-shattered-crystal/

Interview with the creative director of Fire & Ice. He emphasizes that they tried to make this title a lot speedier than the last, and I definitely got that sense from playing the demo. I guess it could still fall apart in the late game, but after a year long delay to polish I think it'll wind up being pretty fun overall.

Whoa, there's a demo? For the 3DS?
Gotta get on this fast.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://www.polygon.com/features/201..._source=twitter

Pretty neat interview with Aaron Webber.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
I had to share this... thing the moment I saw it on PYFs Bootleg toys thread.

EorayMel posted:

Behold: bootleg bonanza!

It's just magical.

And on further reading of the same thread it's apparently a photoshop, drat.

Zernach fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 14, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zernach posted:

I had to share this... thing the moment I saw it on PYFs Bootleg toys thread.

It's just magical.

It's also a photoshop.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mrw sonic has the correct colored eyes and arms

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Me looking at that sick Sonic Mania bundle :dance::
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhtOHeAmCbs

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Kikas posted:

Whoa, there's a demo? For the 3DS?
Gotta get on this fast.

Shoulda mentioned I played it at PAX, but the last 3DS boom game did have a public demo so hopefully this one will too.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWSIhf8q9Ao

This is interesting and makes me wonder if the split between 16 bit Sonic speeds is why some people (I assume maybe Europeans?) sometimes try to downplay how essential the sense of speed is vs precision platforming, while some (like me) still value the essential uncontrollable sense of speed. Thoughts?

Unrelated, but this thread has caused me to fully embrace being a Sonic fan, warts of the franchise and all and stop being afraid, because at least in this thread we can all love Sonic without worrying some dick cheese is gonna associate us with bad recolors and sexual deviancy. I just love that blue mother fucker because he represents freedom and not giving a gently caress and a sort of positive anti-authoritarianism, but also because in vehicles and rides and life I love that sense of speed as freedom and yeah. I should write a manifesto..

What I'm trying to say is every time I do speed or coke, there's a little bit of Sonic behind those decisions.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

There are monsters in the U.K. who prefer the songs running at 5/6ths speed. I wouldn't be surprised if they prefer ovals over circles. People like what they grow up with, go figure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKfrr61p7Mw

Make it 30 seconds into this video and tell me it's not frustrating to listen to.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's not because that's what Sonic sounded like in my childhood

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

That's disgusting.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Further proving that Europeans are wrong about everything.

Like, my first exposure to Sonic 3 and Knuckles was the Windows 95 port that had replaced music for some levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO47alrxZIk

Sure, that's what I grew up with, but holy poo poo it's terrible MIDI garbage and the real BGM is sooo much better.

EDIT: Okay after checking, EVERY level had MIDI/FM version of their music, but some levels (Ice Cap, Carnival Night, Launch Base) had their music completely rewritten due to copyright issues.

Xad fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 16, 2016

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Robotnik Nudes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWSIhf8q9Ao
Unrelated, but this thread has caused me to fully embrace being a Sonic fan, warts of the franchise and all and stop being afraid, because at least in this thread we can all love Sonic without worrying some dick cheese is gonna associate us with bad recolors and sexual deviancy. I just love that blue mother fucker because he represents freedom and not giving a gently caress and a sort of positive anti-authoritarianism, but also because in vehicles and rides and life I love that sense of speed as freedom and yeah. I should write a manifesto..

TBH I find the recolors and even the sexual deviancy part of the big, weird, package of what Sonic is to me. It's a beautiful mess, with the "good" and "bad" parts all having their own little bit of appreciation.

I feel I should note that I was born in 94, and while I did get to play classic Sonic games as a kid/teen, the weird stuff going on in the 00's with both bad console games, decent handhelds, the fandom at peak levels of 00's internet, and also an anime dubbed by 4kids was also part of my experience with Sonic.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Heran Bago posted:

There are monsters in the U.K. who prefer the songs running at 5/6ths speed. I wouldn't be surprised if they prefer ovals over circles. People like what they grow up with, go figure.

Make it 30 seconds into this video and tell me it's not frustrating to listen to.

:eng99: ...It used to sound right when I was a kid...

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Mikedawson posted:

TBH I find the recolors and even the sexual deviancy part of the big, weird, package of what Sonic is to me. It's a beautiful mess, with the "good" and "bad" parts all having their own little bit of appreciation.

I feel I should note that I was born in 94, and while I did get to play classic Sonic games as a kid/teen, the weird stuff going on in the 00's with both bad console games, decent handhelds, the fandom at peak levels of 00's internet, and also an anime dubbed by 4kids was also part of my experience with Sonic.

Oh absolutely, I'm only a year older than you so I had very much the same experience. Growing up, almost nobody my age knew what the gently caress I was even talking about until Sonic Adventure 2 Battle came out, because everyone at school only had Gamecubes and PS2s, I was the only kid with a Dreamcast.

Then of course after SA2B was Sonic Heroes->Shadow->Sonic 06, so it very quickly became a franchise that you had to defend your opinion on. Hell, even after Unleashed/Colors/Generations, people who aren't fans of the series still only remember the terrible games like Boom and 06 that get millions of LPs on youtube.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Robotnik Nudes posted:

This is interesting and makes me wonder if the split between 16 bit Sonic speeds is why some people (I assume maybe Europeans?) sometimes try to downplay how essential the sense of speed is vs precision platforming, while some (like me) still value the essential uncontrollable sense of speed.
Thoughts?

I dunno if the video goes into it, but only Sonic 1 had that issue. 2 onwards had proper 50Hz modes. So I guess if those people only played Sonic 1 or had the brightest memories of that speed it's possible, but I dunno.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

For me Sonic is like a childhood best friend I've never fully fallen out of touch with who I worry about. He ends up hanging with a bad crowd, gets some weird ideas, has some times where I don't want to abandon him but can't pretend I'm down with the horrible self destructive things he's doing with his life, but I'll always be there because we've been tight since forever, and I just want the best for him and I'm really glad it seems like, a few stumbles aside, he hasn't totally shaken his destructive habits but I'm glad to see he's doing better and look forward to the future.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Heran Bago posted:

I'm really glad youtube has speed settings to make it feel nearly correct. I've never heard the rest of the Euro versions of the Sonic music and wow that is a dark, strange road my ears are on.

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

I dunno if the video goes into it, but only Sonic 1 had that issue. 2 onwards had proper 50Hz modes. So I guess if those people only played Sonic 1 or had the brightest memories of that speed it's possible, but I dunno.

They fixed the music speed but the gameplay was still slower

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
When people say "Sonic isn't about speed" they mean "speed isn't a substitute for good level design or fluid character movement or reasonable challenge" and they're right but they're also wrong because Sonic as a character is imbued with characteristics like Go Fast that mean you can't just plop him into any old game like he's Mario without an unavoidable degree of dissonance.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

jimmy boag posted:

They fixed the music speed but the gameplay was still slower

In that case my brain is busted as gently caress because I've never really noticed despite playing it a bunch on SMD and re-releases.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Good morning and happy Friday everyone. I want to join this pleasant conversation to formally announce that I turn 30 next week and for my annual birthday 4-miler I will be proudly wearing my sick Sonic T-shirt because it owns and I am who I am, and I'm not a bitch who's afraid of his own hobbies and interests. If anyone had a problem with that they'll have to catch me first :owned:

Remember, it's your move, break it out, that's what life is all about it's YOUR adventure...

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
I hope I'm that positive when I turn 30 in one year :smith:
I like you beep and I'm gonna beat colors this weekend to honor your bday

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Heran Bago posted:

wow this is loving terrible

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So, kind of an odd question: can anyone tell me exactly what was wrong with Lost World? I've never played it, but looking at videos of it, it actually seems to have a lot of neat ideas. The parkour stuff looks pretty cool and is an interesting use of Sonic's speed (using spindash to climb a sheer wall, for example). It looks like when you homing attack you have the option to hit multiple enemies or kick one enemy in a given direction, which seems like it could have a lot of neat implications. Was it just the level design? The controls? The story? Whatever it was, unlike 06 and Boom, it's really not obvious just from watching videos of the game.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The controls are the work of Satan himself. Sonic feels completely wrong to control and at no point do you feel like you're fully in control or sure if you're playing the game as intended. The parkour in particular just seems to work via black magic and leprechaun wishes and no matter how many times you perform any given move, you never feel certain that you're using it correctly even after the credits roll.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Lost World had the worst controls of any game I've played in a good long while. It just felt unpleasant to even play. Maybe you can get used to it eventually, but I only made it through the first world before stuffing it back in the Gamefly envelope.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Spergatory posted:

So, kind of an odd question: can anyone tell me exactly what was wrong with Lost World? I've never played it, but looking at videos of it, it actually seems to have a lot of neat ideas. The parkour stuff looks pretty cool and is an interesting use of Sonic's speed (using spindash to climb a sheer wall, for example). It looks like when you homing attack you have the option to hit multiple enemies or kick one enemy in a given direction, which seems like it could have a lot of neat implications. Was it just the level design? The controls? The story? Whatever it was, unlike 06 and Boom, it's really not obvious just from watching videos of the game.

It doesn't come across in videos but the game just feels very jerky, sluggish and just plain bad to play. It breaks my heart cause if they had another year or two in the oven to iron that out I think we could have had another classic on our
hands.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The controls are the work of Satan himself. Sonic feels completely wrong to control and at no point do you feel like you're fully in control or sure if you're playing the game as intended. The parkour in particular just seems to work via black magic and leprechaun wishes and no matter how many times you perform any given move, you never feel certain that you're using it correctly even after the credits roll.

This makes it sound exciting and dangerous

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Controls, controls, controls. I know nothing about programming, but I feel like it must be really difficult to program good, responsive controls because so many games just don't have them, and it's not like the game's creators don't know that they're important. They're arguably the single most important factor in a game. An obvious, precise, and near-instant connection between your actions and what happens on the screen is necessary for a game to be satisfying on the most basic, visceral level. Really good controls can actually make up for a lot of other design shortfalls, but absolutely nothing can save a game from bad controls. So either good controls are hard to program properly, or a depressing number of programmers have a seriously dire misunderstanding of what makes games work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Spergatory posted:

It is a lot of neat ideas, but they are all done poorly. Many of those ideas are also never explained so many players probably never realize the multihit homing attacks work and wonder why a boss dies in two hits or don't use the kick because why does Sonic have a kick? And even if you know they're there, they aren't very satisfying to use. It's a bizarre game that constantly feels like you're playing it wrong.