Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Germstore posted:

It's funny the articles about the Uranium One deal are basically "yes, it's all true, but some of the donations to the clinton foundation were made during her run for president and therefore *magic happens* so it's not true."

I like the articles on the Clinton Foundation where people argue you're going to spot pay-for-play and other issues by looking at their 990. Like Charity Navigator is going to crack the case on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

hillary more like chillary amirite fellow kids

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
"Yes, Hillary Clinton is a criminal who allowed the sale of strategic assets to Russia for personal gain, but Trump said a rude thing so let's all use the full power of our imagination to ignore it."

Saint Rude
Aug 21, 2009

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

lazorexplosion posted:

So is this guy a comedy blogger or what?

Even better, hes an economist with opinions on other things

Klyith posted:

I used to like reading his blog for all the modern economics stuff. :(

I don't think he's going for appointments, he could have gotten one any time. Guy got a loving nobel prize. The summer of bernie just broke him. It was sad to watch.

I feel no sadness for Paul Krugman's servile slide, which began long before this election. He's been calling Hilldawg's opponents cult-members and sheep since 08.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I try to look into both sides of things, but this Uranium One thing's got me like I'm taking crazy pills because the best defense boils down to the investors may have at one point thought they were buying the influence of a future president instead of secretary of state.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

General Dog posted:

I hope Hillary wins but it's close enough the Republicans keep the House and maybe the Senate and everything basically stays the same. I'm pretty happy with where we're at

I hope Trump wins but Republicans lose the house and senate

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
So apparently she sold ambassadorships for bribes.

Lmao just put D&D on suicide watch fam

Edit: actually the entire DNC did lmao

OMG JC a Bomb! fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 14, 2016

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

gently caress it. The Democratic party is dead. RIP.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Germstore posted:

I try to look into both sides of things, but this Uranium One thing's got me like I'm taking crazy pills because the best defense boils down to the investors may have at one point thought they were buying the influence of a future president instead of secretary of state.

is the whole giving political favors to other countries thing in exchange for money not like treason or something? how does no one seems to care about this stuff?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I honestly wouldn't give much of a gently caress if it was like wheat or aluminum, but 20% of our uranium? To Russia? gently caress that.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
especially damning with how hard her camps banging the cold war drums

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Sonofsilversign posted:

is the whole giving political favors to other countries thing in exchange for money not like treason or something? how does no one seems to care about this stuff?

It is treason. People do care.

The problem is that the concept of a Nation-State is being eroded. The whole crux of this election is Globalism vs Americanism. So people that think "America" is an entity that needs to be preserved would consider that to be treason. But Globalists see countries as secondary powers to the real power system, the Global Corporate/Bank State. So to those people, it's not treason, because the Nation State is impotent to the Global State.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

mdm posted:

neoliberalism already has a definition, why do americans think words involving the word liberal don't already have a definition :downs:

get the gently caress otut of the way of my revolution you talk like a fag and your shits retarded

(mods dont prob me this is a cool and good quote from the vmovie 'idiocracy')

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I'm so loving tired of hearing the phrase "quid pro quo" despite the fact they acknowledge the donations happened and happened close to the time the favors happened, and emails were made talking about this poo poo. Pay to play is very clearly happening and you have to be retarded or a sycophant waiting for your lucky day to be praised by your masters.

like come the gently caress on, not that it matters since political corruption is fully legal in the US now, if I was older and better connected I'd have sold out too for the fat millions since there's no afterlife anyways

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

So apparently she sold ambassadorships for bribes.

Lmao just put D&D on suicide watch fam

Edit: actually the entire DNC did lmao

it was p much common knowledge but to see it in a spreadsheet like that is some sausage making poo poo not meant to be seen

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

It's weird to think about how history rhymes, sometimes.

http://www.icl-fi.org/english/wv/971/qotw.html

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

It is treason. People do care.

The problem is that the concept of a Nation-State is being eroded. The whole crux of this election is Globalism vs Americanism. So people that think "America" is an entity that needs to be preserved would consider that to be treason. But Globalists see countries as secondary powers to the real power system, the Global Corporate/Bank State. So to those people, it's not treason, because the Nation State is impotent to the Global State.

i think the nation state is an outdated concept and technology and industry have made globalism is a necessity in the modern world and that a global state would be the only way to begin to fix the multiple global crises we find ourselves currently in the midst of

while i take your point that independent entities shouldnt wield power comparable to elected government i dont think nationalism is the solution

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Sonofsilversign posted:

i think the nation state is an outdated concept and technology and industry have made globalism is a necessity in the modern world and that a global state would be the only way to begin to fix the multiple global crises we find ourselves currently in the midst of

while i take your point that independent entities shouldnt wield power comparable to elected government i dont think nationalism is the solution

That's cool until a chinese logging company wants to cut down our national parks and then its like "welp sorry... globalism"

You lose autonomy and authority over your homeland

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

That's cool until a chinese logging company wants to cut down our national parks and then its like "welp sorry... globalism"

You lose autonomy and authority over your homeland

lol "your homeland" you and i never had authority or autonomy over any land. US companies do that poo poo all the time with no repercussions so what difference does it make if the corporation is based in china?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

In general it doesn't make a difference, but luckily there's procedures in place to keep it from happening to strategic assets, such as uranium.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Sonofsilversign posted:

lol "your homeland" you and i never had authority or autonomy over any land. US companies do that poo poo all the time with no repercussions so what difference does it make if the corporation is based in china?

You don't want to be colonized. It's a bad situation. The further you get from the nexus of power the less control you have. Just because there's been abuses of the system doesn't mean the system should be scrapped. We can work on our problems in our courts.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
the sale of nuclear material kinda seems like it should be internationally regulated by the UN

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

You don't want to be colonized. It's a bad situation. The further you get from the nexus of power the less control you have. Just because there's been abuses of the system doesn't mean the system should be scrapped. We can work on our problems in our courts.

lmao colonized by whom exactly? and corporations own the US courts have you seen the supreme court decisions for the last 30 years?

BIG PUFFY NIPS fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 14, 2016

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
When will Hillary stop bullying poor Pepe. :( He didn't ask for this.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Sonofsilversign posted:

the sale of nuclear material kinda seems like it should be internationally regulated by the UN

lol I'm sure the UN would sign off on anything the Clintons tell them to.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Sonofsilversign posted:

lmao colonized by whom exactly? and corporations own the US courts have you seen the supreme court decisions for the last 30 years?

Yah no poo poo that's why we are at this junction right now. Because the corporations have been selling out America for decades. And the next stage is moving towards a centralized global corporate power.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
"Hey corruption has reigned and we're being sold out, might as well let it keep happening, but worse, because it's been happening"

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

"Hey corruption has reigned and we're being sold out, might as well let it keep happening, but worse, because it's been happening"

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Germstore posted:

I'm not sure why you're freaking out about Uranium One, because as far as Crooked Hillary is concerned, it's one of the more wild and unsubstantiated claims where her history of pay-to-play are more clear in other places. The state department, as one of 9 agencies, including independent state and federal nuclear regulators, signed off on a deal to sell uranium. To even start being worried about this you have to eliminate all those players and instead say "Hillary Clinton sold our uranium" which I think you understand the problem with. Throwing money at a politician's charity foundation in hopes that you'll get your sweet uranium deal to pass when the decision depends on 8 other agencies sounds pretty silly, particularly when you're relying on a crystal ball to tell you to throw money at a politician that won't even be appointed to that position until 2 years in the future. (Or maybe they would be hoping she was President? Besides being a gamble, if it worked she would have no direct influence on the decision)

Seriously, Hillary is a broken candidate that wasn't acceptable in 2008, but Uranium One is what sovcits scream about while making armed take overs of wildlife refuges and begging for snacks while screaming "I DO NOT CREATE JOINDER" as they're arrested by French mercenaries disguised as law enforcement. I know the NYT covered it in April but there's a reason it isn't being talked about regularly.

Sonofsilversign posted:

As I said above, because the power she had in the decision is exaggerated and the timing of the donations makes very little sense. The kind of dirty deals Clinton made are unfortunately too common in our government for many of them to comfortably bring up without condemning themselves. (Some of her supporters think her experience with these deals makes her a better candidate :downs: )

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Knight posted:

a lot of words

its no fun if you overthink it man just say hillary clinton sold uranium to the russians and see if people get mad if they do you got a winner

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Knight posted:

I'm not sure why you're freaking out about Uranium One, because as far as Crooked Hillary is concerned, it's one of the more wild and unsubstantiated claims where her history of pay-to-play are more clear in other places. The state department, as one of 9 agencies, including independent state and federal nuclear regulators, signed off on a deal to sell uranium. To even start being worried about this you have to eliminate all those players and instead say "Hillary Clinton sold our uranium" which I think you understand the problem with. Throwing money at a politician's charity foundation in hopes that you'll get your sweet uranium deal to pass when the decision depends on 8 other agencies sounds pretty silly, particularly when you're relying on a crystal ball to tell you to throw money at a politician that won't even be appointed to that position until 2 years in the future. (Or maybe they would be hoping she was President? Besides being a gamble, if it worked she would have no direct influence on the decision)

Seriously, Hillary is a broken candidate that wasn't acceptable in 2008, but Uranium One is what sovcits scream about while making armed take overs of wildlife refuges and begging for snacks while screaming "I DO NOT CREATE JOINDER" as they're arrested by French mercenaries disguised as law enforcement. I know the NYT covered it in April but there's a reason it isn't being talked about regularly.
As I said above, because the power she had in the decision is exaggerated and the timing of the donations makes very little sense. The kind of dirty deals Clinton made are unfortunately too common in our government for many of them to comfortably bring up without condemning themselves. (Some of her supporters think her experience with these deals makes her a better candidate :downs: )

Her agency is the agency that is responsible for the security of the state. If for example the DoE approves it they look at it from the perspective of, well, we have enough uranium for 2000 years at the current rate of usage and with different reactor designs that goes up to 40,000 years, sure go for it. Nuclear regulators may just care about if the uranium can be exported safely. They're all looking at it from the angle they are responsible for. The State Department is the agency that is looking at it from the angle of ARE WE SELLING URANIUM TO A STATE THAT HAS BEEN HISTORICALLY UNFRIENDLY!?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Germstore posted:

Her agency is the agency that is responsible for the security of the state. If for example the DoE approves it they look at it from the perspective of, well, we have enough uranium for 2000 years at the current rate of usage and with different reactor designs that goes up to 40,000 years, sure go for it. Nuclear regulators may just care about if the uranium can be exported safely. They're all looking at it from the angle they are responsible for. The State Department is the agency that is looking at it from the angle of ARE WE SELLING URANIUM TO A STATE THAT HAS BEEN HISTORICALLY UNFRIENDLY!?
That's a legitimate argument. CFIUS is highly confidential and the public will probably never see their discussions or reasons. I'll only add that the secretaries of Defense and Homeland Security were also responsible for signing off on that decision.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Now to be fair to Clinton the physical uranium can currently not be legally exported, but you'll forgive me if I vote for Trump to make sure it stays that way.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Noooo Pepe was a double-agent for the Democrats :(

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Germstore posted:

Now to be fair to Clinton the physical uranium can currently not be legally exported, but you'll forgive me if I vote for Trump to make sure it stays that way.
That's your decision. If I was concerned with foreign influence, particularly Russia, I wouldn't be putting any more faith in the guy who can't stop himself from expressing his admiration for Putin and whose last campaign manager had to step down after finding his name on Russian payroll, having been exposed secretly routing millions of dollars on their behalf to obscure their lobbying efforts to influence US policy.

The favorability ratings of the next President entering office is going to be dismal.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

emails the new password, after they were compromised

:downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Knight posted:

whose last campaign manager had to step down after finding his name on Russian payroll,

Lol, that was such a set-up. Private detectives "randomly" found his name on a handwritten piece of paper in Ukraine with "$$$$$$$$$$$$" after it

• Locked thread