Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

MarcusSA posted:

I'm trying to wrap my brain something and maybe its just not clicking.

I bought a 2015 Passat TDI SEL in Nov 2014 It has 20k miles on it now and they are offering a buy back of 22.5K which seems kinda low.

My GF bought a 2015 Jetta TDI SEL in July 2015 it has 12k miles on it and her buy back offer was 23K.

I would have thought my buy back price would have been at least a few K higher I mean both cars are the same model year and all.

Edit: Looking at the NADA Guide for Sept 2015 my Clean trade in would have been at least 24800. I must be missing something here.

2015s are being bought back at 71.7% of invoice paid (VW claimed that there was no reliable FMV and the lawyers agreed). This does not include your Additional payment, or any adjustments for mileage. My 15 tdi sel with all the options (12k miles) is like 23,000 , my additional payment is 7800, and i am getting an adjustment for mileage of like 900. I will be out the door a shy over 31,500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

2015s are being bought back at 71.7% of invoice paid (VW claimed that there was no reliable FMV and the lawyers agreed). This does not include your Additional payment, or any adjustments for mileage. My 15 tdi sel with all the options (12k miles) is like 23,000 , my additional payment is 7800, and i am getting an adjustment for mileage of like 900. I will be out the door a shy over 31,500.

Ok thanks for this as well. I think it's not including the options which is dropping it a few thousand.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Kramdar posted:

Like an incentive to consider ever buying another VW? I mean, sure, if they want to offer me a car at half price with a 10yr/100K warranty. I understand GTI love, but anything else VW is insane to me at this point. If the dealers were upfront with the maintenance fees, I bet my wife would have never bought a TDI to begin with back in 2010. They are the only economy car with luxury car maintenance.

I was considering asking in this thread, but like what am I looking at if I were to purchase a 2017 Golf in terms of annual costs? Compare it to, say, a Subaru. I'm almost certainly buying a Legacy as I have a great price on one a family member has been leasing, but the Wolfsburg trim golf is pretty appealing. This is ignoring any insane VW stuff like dieselgate obviously.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Got to briefly look at an Alltrack today. Looked good, didn't want to hassle the chick driving it since I think she was about to do the training for the dealer.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Looked good but not enough to drive. VW

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
My apologies if this has already been asked (I'm slowly making my way through the thread), but I'm wondering what this is/does:

I ask, because I took my car in for service and the guy mentioned that my air filter needed to be changed. I wasn't about to fork out the ridiculous amount they wanted (seriously, it was around $70.) when I can just pick up the part at O'Reilly for ~$20.

Anyway, when I was replacing the air filter, I noticed the cover on that part was a bit loose. I looked inside and it looks like there should be a filter in there (I don't know for sure). I've been trying to search to see what that is and if it should have a filter or not to no avail. That's when I remembered this thread existed.

Additionally, when I got out of the car today after driving in to work, I noticed that I didn't hear the normal sound of the cooling fans. I can check the fuse when I go back out to my car, but if there's an actual issue, I'd like to take it to a good mechanic to check on it. Anyone know of a good/reliable mechanic either in the Oakland, CA or San Ramon, CA areas? Thanks!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
On my GTI, that's just an air intake. The hose leads to the engine cover and there's a filter sandwiched inside of the cover that you get to by removing some torx screws.

Did you check RTFM? It should be in there.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Uthor posted:

On my GTI, that's just an air intake. The hose leads to the engine cover and there's a filter sandwiched inside of the cover that you get to by removing some torx screws.

Did you check RTFM? It should be in there.
Probably a stupid question, but an air intake for what? The engine air intake on this car is the larger box sandwiched between the circled item and the battery.

I did a quick glance in the manual when I was changing the air filter, but didn't see anything. I'll give it another look though.

Thanks!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

TWBalls posted:

Probably a stupid question, but an air intake for what? The engine air intake on this car is the larger box sandwiched between the circled item and the battery.

I did a quick glance in the manual when I was changing the air filter, but didn't see anything. I'll give it another look though.

Thanks!

OH! I don't know, then. Sorry, I was just guessing.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

TWBalls posted:

Thanks!

Someone who knows for sure should happen by soon, but I believe that is the air intake, which then routes the air back to the air filter. It's a bit... Indirect looking. There should be some connecting pipe lower in the bay that comes up into the air filter box I think.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

PabloBOOM posted:

Someone who knows for sure should happen by soon, but I believe that is the air intake, which then routes the air back to the air filter. It's a bit... Indirect looking. There should be some connecting pipe lower in the bay that comes up into the air filter box I think.
Its this. I've had other cars with the same setup. Sometimes there are multiple intakes from various locations leading to the air box which has the filter in it.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

TWBalls posted:

My apologies if this has already been asked (I'm slowly making my way through the thread), but I'm wondering what this is/does:

I ask, because I took my car in for service and the guy mentioned that my air filter needed to be changed. I wasn't about to fork out the ridiculous amount they wanted (seriously, it was around $70.) when I can just pick up the part at O'Reilly for ~$20.

Anyway, when I was replacing the air filter, I noticed the cover on that part was a bit loose. I looked inside and it looks like there should be a filter in there (I don't know for sure). I've been trying to search to see what that is and if it should have a filter or not to no avail. That's when I remembered this thread existed.

Additionally, when I got out of the car today after driving in to work, I noticed that I didn't hear the normal sound of the cooling fans. I can check the fuse when I go back out to my car, but if there's an actual issue, I'd like to take it to a good mechanic to check on it. Anyone know of a good/reliable mechanic either in the Oakland, CA or San Ramon, CA areas? Thanks!

The circles bit is part of the intake, but I can't remember if that section goes to or from the intercooler. The black section just above and to the right of that is where your air filter is.

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005
fprintf(stderr, "this should never print\n");

MarcusSA posted:

Ok thanks for this as well. I think it's not including the options which is dropping it a few thousand.

i was under the impression that the vwgoa considered all options because it used the VIN. i selected 'vehicle buyback' on the site. the vwgoa claims site gave me 3 numbers:

quote:

Vehicle Return Amount
Additional Restitution
Total Buyback Amount

where the total buyback = vehicle return + additional restitution. out of curiosity, are you saying your 'total buyback amount' on VWGOA is that low? if so, that sounds like BS for a passat...

edit:

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

for all 2015's, it is solely based on 71.1% of the invoice paid.

:doh: obviously not comparable to my experience with a 2009. thanks for clarifying.

nine16thsdago fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 14, 2016

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

nine16thsdago posted:

i was under the impression that the vwgoa considered all options because it used the VIN. i selected 'vehicle buyback' on the site. the vwgoa claims site gave me 3 numbers:

where the total buyback = vehicle return + additional restitution. out of curiosity, are you saying your 'total buyback amount' on VWGOA is that low? if so, that sounds like BS for a passat...

No the total isn't that low just the car amount not including the 7k. The total buy back they want to give is $29,500 for a fully loaded 2015 Passat.

That's what seems really low. Like I said the clean trade value was in sept 2015 for my car was at least 24,500 so yeah something's off IMO. I'll see if I can call them today and see what's up.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

MarcusSA posted:

No the total isn't that low just the car amount not including the 7k. The total buy back they want to give is $29,500 for a fully loaded 2015 Passat.

That's what seems really low. Like I said the clean trade value was in sept 2015 for my car was at least 24,500 so yeah something's off IMO. I'll see if I can call them today and see what's up.

I just told you, it does not matter what the car is equipped with for all 2015's, it is solely based on 71.1% of the invoice paid. You bought a poverty spec Jetta for 100,000 from a dealer well vw is buying it back at 71,100 plus additional restitution and mileage adjustments.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Anyone else end up with a squeaky steering wheel after the airbag clock spring recall?

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

two_beer_bishes posted:

The circles bit is part of the intake, but I can't remember if that section goes to or from the intercooler. The black section just above and to the right of that is where your air filter is.

Cool, thanks. I was just concerned that a filter was removed last time it was serviced and that it was gonna gently caress something up.

I am still concerned about the radiator fans not running after the engine is shut off. The drive to/from Oakland/San Ramon is definitely enough that it should be kicking on at some point. I'll have to see if I can take a look during lunch to see if the fuses are good.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

TWBalls posted:

Cool, thanks. I was just concerned that a filter was removed last time it was serviced and that it was gonna gently caress something up.

I am still concerned about the radiator fans not running after the engine is shut off. The drive to/from Oakland/San Ramon is definitely enough that it should be kicking on at some point. I'll have to see if I can take a look during lunch to see if the fuses are good.

Like, that the fans don't run after you've parked? Do they run fine when you're driving around/in traffic? It's my understanding they're on a need-to-run basis based on temp. Even in 100f temp, in traffic, with the AC on my mk5 GTI doesn't often need to keep the fan running after I've parked.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

PabloBOOM posted:

Like, that the fans don't run after you've parked? Do they run fine when you're driving around/in traffic? It's my understanding they're on a need-to-run basis based on temp. Even in 100f temp, in traffic, with the AC on my mk5 GTI doesn't often need to keep the fan running after I've parked.

Yeah, they used to stay on for a few minutes after turning off the engine. I imagine that driving 32 miles at 75-80MPH with some hills (580E/W) would be plenty to get the engine hot enough that the fans should run. I'll see if I can drive around town with the windows down to hear if they kick on while driving.

I have a PLX Kiwi bluetooth OBDII adapter, so I can try connecting it and see if I can capture information from the Torque app. I didn't see anything in the app about fans, but there appears to be a number of plugins for it. Maybe one of those can give me some information.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

Kramdar posted:

Tape a socket to a long screwdriver like I did to get my wife's battery out of her Jetta!

Two extensions and a reducer plus a deep socket to reach it. Took about five minutes and the worst battery I could get at O'Reilly's.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

TWBalls posted:

Yeah, they used to stay on for a few minutes after turning off the engine. I imagine that driving 32 miles at 75-80MPH with some hills (580E/W) would be plenty to get the engine hot enough that the fans should run. I'll see if I can drive around town with the windows down to hear if they kick on while driving.

I have a PLX Kiwi bluetooth OBDII adapter, so I can try connecting it and see if I can capture information from the Torque app. I didn't see anything in the app about fans, but there appears to be a number of plugins for it. Maybe one of those can give me some information.

The fans staying on may have been because you turned the engine off during one of those awesome TDI regen cycles. Take a look at the EGTs and if they're below 1000F, you fans won't stay on (400F is more likely at idle). If you're pushing 1200F+, you're in the middle of a regen and the fans will stay on for a little bit.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Went up Pike's Peak earlier this week. My god this car is so much more fun than the TDI was last time I went up.

click for huge.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Really sweet looking GTI. That must be a nice step up from a diesel.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
gently caress! So I missed the GOODWILL thing with the $500x2 cards. Should I even bother calling customer care at this point?!?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

AlternateAccount posted:

gently caress! So I missed the GOODWILL thing with the $500x2 cards. Should I even bother calling customer care at this point?!?
No. On the other hand, how much work is a phone call? Never hurts to ask.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
awww poo poo, seriously? i just sold my dealer-only card last week for 400 cash money

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

AlternateAccount posted:

Absolutely make the call and see if they'll still honor it. It only costs you a phone call to ask. The worst case scenario is they say 'no'.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

BraveUlysses posted:

awww poo poo, seriously? i just sold my dealer-only card last week for 400 cash money

How did that work? Are they transferable? Can I just toss ours in SA mart?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

How did that work? Are they transferable? Can I just toss ours in SA mart?

i posted on vwvortex classifieds and met the guy at the dealership, used the card to pay for his parts and he paid me 400 cash.

the guy at the parts desk did not care or check that i was the person named on the card.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you can now log into the VW claims website and upload your registration/ownership information

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Much like the TDI, that buyback website is hastily thrown together with very little testing. It is bugging out on my phone. And nothing scales correctly.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Kramdar posted:

Much like the TDI, that buyback website is hastily thrown together with very little testing. It is bugging out on my phone. And nothing scales correctly.

What is QA anyway

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

BlackMK4 posted:

What is QA anyway

Insert Ferdinand Porsche joke here

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

BlackMK4 posted:

What is QA anyway

VW headquarters: Hey, do we have any money left after that golden parachute for the CEO that stepped down? Nope. And everything else is going towards the buyback lawyer? Yep. Didn't that kid intern, Kyle, put that he knew HTML on his resume? He said he had a Live Journal. Ah, whatever. Just make him do it. Tell him to Google anything that he needs to figure out, and tell him not to Google TDI forums either.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Just went to Carmax and got the same 11k offer I got two weeks back. Next Thursday, if nothing changes, I'm going to be saying goodbye to my 2010 GTI which has been mine for a pretty rock solid 4.5 years. Can't think of many cars that are better as a daily driver.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

So I've got an ESP fault that I'm pretty sure is "fake" in the sense that it is a leftover from the battery being removed during maintenance, and I need to clear it with the steering angle sensor calibration procedure:

01826 - Sensor for Steering Angle (G85); Supply Voltage Terminal 30

I've done the procedure twice so far, but the ESP light keeps returning -- the system wasn't worked on in the shop (timing belt), is there a trick / common set of things to do to clear faults after a battery change? 2006 A4.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Advice on transmissions for a GTI? I went car shopping today and drove both the DSG and 6sp Manual 2016 GTI's. I really expected to love the manual and not like the auto but my experience was reversed. I didn't care for the overly light feeling and vague clutch engagement and the DSG seemed competent and would be nice in traffic.

Would I just need to get used to the clutch? I'm not terribly familiar with german cars and how they feel. Researching cost of the DSG outside of the 40K service is there anything else to look out for?

E. I'm also seeing a fair amount of people with chipped GTI's complaining about clutchs going out exceedingly early. What is the expected life of a clutch for a stock GTI?

Maksimus54 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 25, 2016

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Stock you shouldn't have any clutch issues. Personally I prefer 6mt over the DSG simply because I like rowing my own gears. That's what it comes down to. The DSG is 1100 more to add to the car, and will cost you around 250 in oil every 40k miles. The only clutch I've ever replaced was on my 95 2.0 at 110k miles.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Maksimus54 posted:

E. I'm also seeing a fair amount of people with chipped GTI's complaining about clutchs going out exceedingly early. What is the expected life of a clutch for a stock GTI?
That's because a tune + dp moves you from 225whp-ish stock to 300ish whp... that and of the broken record poo poo I say every time the clutch thing comes up. Remove the delay valve and take your time on the 1-2 shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Thanks, I'm not buying anything for a while yet, but I think I'll try to arrange an extended test drive so I can get more comfortable with the manual before I make a final decision.