Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

How do I stop my 2 year old son from pulling out and dragging dining chairs over to counters so that he can climb up on them (and get to breakable or dangerous to him items)? We've basically just had to remove all the chairs and keep them in a spare room until it's time to eat, and then put them back up when we're done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

-S- posted:

How do I stop my 2 year old son from pulling out and dragging dining chairs over to counters so that he can climb up on them (and get to breakable or dangerous to him items)? We've basically just had to remove all the chairs and keep them in a spare room until it's time to eat, and then put them back up when we're done.

My son is 21 months and has been climbing on everything he can reach. He likes to climb on top of his toy chest so he can put his face in front of the window air conditioner...which is fine until he falls off and hurts himself. I'm amazed he hasn't climbed out of his crib yet, it can't be more than a couple months before he does. I've been picking him up and putting him elsewhere trying to distract him with other things.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

The Nastier Nate posted:

My son is 21 months and has been climbing on everything he can reach. He likes to climb on top of his toy chest so he can put his face in front of the window air conditioner...which is fine until he falls off and hurts himself. I'm amazed he hasn't climbed out of his crib yet, it can't be more than a couple months before he does. I've been picking him up and putting him elsewhere trying to distract him with other things.

My son was done with the crib at like 14 months, so you made it much longer than we did. However, he still won't sleep in his car bed and sleeps with us every night so... :-(

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

-S- posted:

My son was done with the crib at like 14 months, so you made it much longer than we did. However, he still won't sleep in his car bed and sleeps with us every night so... :-(

How do you deal with the fear that he will wake up in the middle of the night, roam around the house and climb and/or tip over every piece of available furniture?

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

The Nastier Nate posted:

How do you deal with the fear that he will wake up in the middle of the night, roam around the house and climb and/or tip over every piece of available furniture?

He's slept completely through the night since he was 4 or 5 weeks old. Also, I am a very light sleeper and will be wide awake if someone (he or my wife) breathes too hard. It was more troublesome with the crib because he would literally just climb on out of it when he woke up in the morning (or if he pretended to be asleep but was not actually). I ended up having to get one of those baby monitors that sirens if it doesn't feel the baby move on it for more than 10 seconds, so it would alert me that a baby was running wild through the house while we slept/were in bed.

big trivia FAIL fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 12, 2016

Squid
Feb 21, 2001

-S- posted:

He's slept completely through the night since he was 4 or 5 weeks old.

I ... I hate you. My 9 month old gets up three times a night or more, and this is heaven compared to her first six months.

Apparently she's been teething for the last three weeks solid, waking unhappy for hours in the night every night. Now she has two center bottom teeth and two fangs. I just want some normalcy.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

Squid posted:

I ... I hate you. My 9 month old gets up three times a night or more, and this is heaven compared to her first six months.

Apparently she's been teething for the last three weeks solid, waking unhappy for hours in the night every night. Now she has two center bottom teeth and two fangs. I just want some normalcy.

Trust me, I know we got lucky with that, but I assure you he gives it all he's got during the day. He's bad as hell

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Squid posted:

Heh, our 10 month old daughter also had the vampire look for a few weeks. She finally got the middle ones out and has been sleeping waaaay better.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

The Nastier Nate posted:

Door gate? Shut the door and have a doorknob cover? Change the doorknob on their door around so it locks from the outside?

Everyone should have their furniture secured to the wall though.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...
4 year old and 1 1/2 year old just developed Hand Foot and Mouth -- Painful Mouth Sores Variant. :getin:

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Reading all your posts is making me scared because we're not moving out before next summer and our appartment is absolutely impossible to kid proof. Let's hope he doesn't figure out how to get out of the crib too fast because it will be a nightmare (for example his bedroom is also the office with a computer and cables everywhere)

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 13, 2016

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

My kid is a super climber. Climbs everything, has for years.
He turned 3 in June. He's never once tried to climb out of his crib. I think he thinks only dad or I can get him out of bed. I'm not doing anything to change this ;)

So you may get lucky! We'll start thinking about getting him out of the baby jail in a few months if he doesn't figure it out before then.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

KingColliwog posted:

Reading all your posts is making me scared because we're not moving out before next summer and our appartment is absolutely impossible to kid proof. Let's hope he doesn't figure out how to get out of the crib too fast because it will be a nightmare (for example his bedroom is also the office with a computer and cables everywhere)

Gates gates gates. Both kid bedrooms had gates and our kitchen is gated off, as well as our entertainment center, and we have a very small house. Gate the desk off, make an island unto yourself, or gate his crib off!

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

VorpalBunny posted:

Gates gates gates. Both kid bedrooms had gates and our kitchen is gated off, as well as our entertainment center, and we have a very small house. Gate the desk off, make an island unto yourself, or gate his crib off!

Once he starts walking alone and god forbid climbing things we'll have to be in the same room he is 100% of the time until we move I think since there isn't a single room where he'd be safe without supervision. We'll just gate the door of the room as we move. (our appartment is basically 1 hall way with 4 small rooms and a bathroom. Or put him in his crib or other form of baby jail until he figures out how to get out of them.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

sheri posted:

My kid is a super climber. Climbs everything, has for years.
He turned 3 in June. He's never once tried to climb out of his crib. I think he thinks only dad or I can get him out of bed. I'm not doing anything to change this ;)

So you may get lucky! We'll start thinking about getting him out of the baby jail in a few months if he doesn't figure it out before then.

Yeah this is ours. 2 years old and could scale the house if I let her, but somehow the crib sides are made of lava and untouchable.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

nyerf posted:

Stokke tripp trapp chairs are essentially identical(imo they look better though), and came out originally in the early 70s--of course Scandinavia :norway: https://www.stokke.com/en-au/highchairs/tripp-trapp/1444.html

This reminds me I need to move down the foot plate on #2 son's chair.

(Our kids have one of these each. Both my wife and I had our own when we were kids. Everyone has these.)

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

My daughter doesn't climb things normally, but climbed out of the crib at 14 months. Thankfully, he hasn't figured out doorknobs yet, so we just leave her door closed to contain her.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

gninjagnome posted:

My daughter doesn't climb things normally, but climbed out of the crib at 14 months. Thankfully, he hasn't figured out doorknobs yet, so we just leave her door closed to contain her.

Our daughter figured out she could stand on the pressure valve of the radiator to reach the door handle. She would get pants from her cupboard so she wouldn't burn her feet.

You could also tell which rooms she'd turned the light switch on by there being pants or socks on the radiator valve.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

-S- posted:

You don't. He's got intelligence and motor skills improving every day and he has little else to apply himself towards. You cannot have dangerous stuff, chairs, and the kid in the same room without close supervision. Enjoy the kamikaze monkey years.

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009

Oodles posted:

Our daughter figured out she could stand on the pressure valve of the radiator to reach the door handle. She would get pants from her cupboard so she wouldn't burn her feet.

You could also tell which rooms she'd turned the light switch on by there being pants or socks on the radiator valve.

My god. What is it with kids and wanting to give their parents heart attacks?

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

Kitiara posted:

My god. What is it with kids and wanting to give their parents heart attacks?

Good question. At the top of the page I asked about my 2 year old son climbing poo poo and getting stuff he's not supposed to have, and how we had to remove dining chairs until they are needed. Well, last night I was making BLTs for dinner. I had to stop and go get something (I don't remember what it was, I just had to leave the kitchen where he was playing around). I come back in, and he's holding a tomato and stabbing it with a butcher's knife. He had used his little ride on airplane to get high enough to grab both off of the counter. He did it within 20 seconds.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Re: climbing. For about three days now our 11 month-old daughter has gotten the monkey gene activated too.

She's climbed her older brother's chair, which of course she can't get down from; twice she has tried climbing a normal chair and ended up on the floor with the chair in top of her; this morning while making breakfast our 5 year-old caught her at the top of a 3-step ladder/stool. I don't member our 5 y/o climbing on stuff this early!

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Bojanglesworth posted:

Yeah, he is actually going to be going to a preschool/daycare one day a week starting this week. I'd love to send him full time, but we both work from home so it seems excessive to send him full time. Not to mention it is $1,300 a month to send him full time, as Virginia doesn't have preschool in public school.

I do feel like we are being hard on him at times, but to me it seems like we need to be teaching him something instead of just playing all day and learning nothing. He is a ton of fun and has common sense, I just feel like a poo poo dad if we are just loving off all day. Does that make sense?

Hello again to all. I am back, it has been six months since I last posted on here. We took everyones advice and tried to make things less like drilling flash cards and more fun, associating letters and numbers with things etc. He just started public pre-school a couple of weeks ago and goes five days a week now and turned four in July.

My concern is still there because he is still unable to identify any letters and can only point out the number five. I have taken a step back and tried to let things go with the flow, but I can't help but worry that if he has trouble learning things he may need some extra help that I can't offer. It has also come to our attention recently that he seems to have some serious anxiety, mostly triggered by being told what to do or what not to do. For example; we are sitting down for dinner and he doesn't feel like eating chicken so he says he doesn't like chicken (chicken every night prior) so when my wife tells him he loves chicken and just try it he starts to instantly tear up, and very quickly gets to literal hyperventilating to the point where he either pukes or we have to take him away from the table and calm him down with hugs and back rubs.

Again I am semi lost with what to do. As I mentioned he has started pre-school and comes home with stuff he has made, like cut outs of letters that he traced and things like that, but he is unable to identify even the letter A. Should I be concerned? Am I being ridiculous again?

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Squid posted:

I hate him more. My 3 year old still gets up once or more per night several times a week. Though now she basically just wants to hang out and chat, so it's easier in that she's not screaming while we're trying to figure out what she wants, but the lack of sleep is still horrible. The only upside is that we appreciate the days when she sleeps through SO MUCH MORE than we would if we were being spoiled on lovely, lovely sleep every night :v:

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Sockmuppet posted:

I hate him more. My 3 year old still gets up once or more per night several times a week. Though now she basically just wants to hang out and chat, so it's easier in that she's not screaming while we're trying to figure out what she wants, but the lack of sleep is still horrible. The only upside is that we appreciate the days when she sleeps through SO MUCH MORE than we would if we were being spoiled on lovely, lovely sleep every night :v:

Uh, lock her in her room at night. Couple of days of crying and she won't come through anymore.

ymmv

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

quote:

I can't help but worry that if he has trouble learning things he may need some extra help that I can't offer.

It honestly sounds like your "help" is the exact reason he is having trouble learning certain things? I may be completely off base here and in the next bit, I can only go off what you've said here which is obviously not a lot of information, but...

Bojanglesworth posted:

Should I be concerned? Am I being ridiculous again?

From my perspective, you are not being ridiculous, you should be concerned, but it sounds like you really need to be concerned about yourself and your spouse, not your kid.

The fear of failure and disappointing others is probably the single biggest barrier to effective learning, it can last a lifetime, and if he's crying over being "wrong" about dinner it sounds like he's getting it good, and from your posting here it seems very much like that's something you are actively instilling, not something that just happened.

You definitely need to stop worrying about the letters and start worrying about fixing the underlying problems your behaviour is creating, and focus on restoring his confidence in himself. You need to stop worrying about facts and information - he has a lifetime to pick up that poo poo. You need to focus on developing effective learning strategies and resilient self-driving behaviours, because right now it seems like you are doing the exact opposite, with his primary concern being avoiding disappointing you.

How often does he get to see you fail? Do you make sure to model positive behaviour in response to that failure? Does he get to see you fail repeatedly, but be happy with your progress rather than your results?

Is he encouraged to fail and operate beyond his abilities, and are those failures responded to in a positive way? Are his thoughts and opinions dismissed or given weight and value?

I'm not an educational expert, but that's the sort of advice I've seen on the issue. I would recommend reading books about encouraging effective learning strategies than stressing out about any particular failures.

I'm sorry if this seems cruel, and I may be wrong. This is just what it feels like to me, from what you've written now and what you wrote six months ago.

Edit: Definitely do what the people below have said and get a second opinion from someone who actually knows him, and if they aren't concerned you shouldn't be either.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 14, 2016

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

In addition to the above (which I think is good), I would suggest that you talk to his preschool teacher - has the school said anything about him being significantly behind his peers or failing to make progress? Talk to them and find out what they think. If they are concerned, then talk to your pediatrician about getting to see a professional who can evaluate him for any early intervention. It's ok that you are concerned, but I think you should be relying on professionals more than your own sense of panic here.

Also, you might find out that he does fine with this stuff at school, and just has a block about demonstrating it to you.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Bojanglesworth posted:

Hello again to all. I am back, it has been six months since I last posted on here. We took everyones advice and tried to make things less like drilling flash cards and more fun, associating letters and numbers with things etc. He just started public pre-school a couple of weeks ago and goes five days a week now and turned four in July.

My concern is still there because he is still unable to identify any letters and can only point out the number five. I have taken a step back and tried to let things go with the flow, but I can't help but worry that if he has trouble learning things he may need some extra help that I can't offer. It has also come to our attention recently that he seems to have some serious anxiety, mostly triggered by being told what to do or what not to do. For example; we are sitting down for dinner and he doesn't feel like eating chicken so he says he doesn't like chicken (chicken every night prior) so when my wife tells him he loves chicken and just try it he starts to instantly tear up, and very quickly gets to literal hyperventilating to the point where he either pukes or we have to take him away from the table and calm him down with hugs and back rubs.

Again I am semi lost with what to do. As I mentioned he has started pre-school and comes home with stuff he has made, like cut outs of letters that he traced and things like that, but he is unable to identify even the letter A. Should I be concerned? Am I being ridiculous again?

Ask his preschool teacher. She may have way different insight and he could be very different at home vs at school.

Re: dinner-- I'd imagine that a preschooler who is trying to exert independence would be upset after being directly contradicted when he said he didn't like something. Maybe he likes it. Maybe he doesn't. Maybe "I don't like chicken" means "I'm not in the mood for chicken tonight" Put his meal in front of him, tell him he can eat however much of whatever is being served that night, and let him decide if he eats the chicken or just veggies or a little bit of everything. You decide the content of the menu, he's in control of how much he eats.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
tips for getting a 2 month old to sleep in his own crib? i made the mistake of letting him cosleep when we moved last month and now he wont spend the night in the crib. he will nap in it fine, but as soon as i get in bed he cries until hes next to me. moving the crib out of the room is not an option.

also if hes advanced with physical milestones i shouldnt worry about the fact hes not cooing and rarely smiles, right? he stands on my lap, sits propped, holds his head up, and is generally pretty strong, but not social

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

GlyphGryph posted:

It honestly sounds like your "help" is the exact reason he is having trouble learning certain things? I may be completely off base here and in the next bit, I can only go off what you've said here which is obviously not a lot of information, but...

From my perspective, you are not being ridiculous, you should be concerned, but it sounds like you really need to be concerned about yourself and your spouse, not your kid.

The fear of failure and disappointing others is probably the single biggest barrier to effective learning, it can last a lifetime, and if he's crying over being "wrong" about dinner it sounds like he's getting it good, and from your posting here it seems very much like that's something you are actively instilling, not something that just happened.

You definitely need to stop worrying about the letters and start worrying about fixing the underlying problems your behaviour is creating, and focus on restoring his confidence in himself. You need to stop worrying about facts and information - he has a lifetime to pick up that poo poo. You need to focus on developing effective learning strategies and resilient self-driving behaviours, because right now it seems like you are doing the exact opposite, with his primary concern being avoiding disappointing you.

How often does he get to see you fail? Do you make sure to model positive behaviour in response to that failure? Does he get to see you fail repeatedly, but be happy with your progress rather than your results?

Is he encouraged to fail and operate beyond his abilities, and are those failures responded to in a positive way? Are his thoughts and opinions dismissed or given weight and value?

I'm not an educational expert, but that's the sort of advice I've seen on the issue. I would recommend reading books about encouraging effective learning strategies than stressing out about any particular failures.

I'm sorry if this seems cruel, and I may be wrong. This is just what it feels like to me, from what you've written now and what you wrote six months ago.

Edit: Definitely do what the people below have said and get a second opinion from someone who actually knows him, and if they aren't concerned you shouldn't be either.

You said a lot of good things here. I don't necessarily see how some of them can apply to a four year old child though. I honestly can't think of a single instance where I "failed" at something and it was something my child witnessed or even could comprehend, as any failures of mine would be way outside of the grasp of a young child. I am not trying to argue at all, but does that make sense?

We do encourage him to try new things and help him along the way. A perfect example would be roller-skates, we got him a pair for his birthday and he is very excited about the idea of them, but as soon as they are on his feet he is crying or near crying, before even trying. We of course soothe him with encouraging words and positive reinforcement, but it seems borderline forcing him to do something that he doesn't want to do, even if he doesn't know WHY he doesn't want to do it.

I hate to think that I am the cause of his difficulty learning, and I am going to email his preschool teacher to see if she can offer any insight.

Re: Dinner

I suppose I didn't quite explain what I meant by my statement about dinner. The point I was trying to make is that no matter the dinner, or direction, or suggestion, if it is something he doesn't want to do or hear, it turns into a full on anxiety attack. He isn't bad by any means, and he isn't throwing a tantrum, when I say anxiety attack I mean it. I have anxiety problems as well, and it seems like he is experiencing the same things I have.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Bojanglesworth posted:

You said a lot of good things here. I don't necessarily see how some of them can apply to a four year old child though. I honestly can't think of a single instance where I "failed" at something and it was something my child witnessed or even could comprehend, as any failures of mine would be way outside of the grasp of a young child. I am not trying to argue at all, but does that make sense?

This is an odd thing to say. You're 100% perfect at all times around him? You've never done stuff like crumpled up a paper and tried to throw it in a wastepaper basket and missed? Or were clumsy and dropped something? Played video games in front of the kid and died?

Raced your kid to the front door and let him win?

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

Bojanglesworth posted:

What the others said is spot on. As far as seeing you deal with faliures, he doesn't need to know why you failed just that you failed. It's as simple as talking out loud while you're working on something and saying things like, "Oh man. That didn't work, guess I'll have to try a different way." Or "This is so frustrating! I can't get it to work!" Try asking him what he thinks you should do.

Kids are highly sensitive to their parents emotions. They know when mom and dad are anxious about something and it makes them anxious. I would recommend completely backing off on any letters, numbers, etc. unless he brings it up. Give him time to realize those aren't the way to earn your love and respect, because it sounds like he may be feeling that they are right now. You are not trying to make him feel that way, and I understand that you don't feel that way, but kids often interpret things in funny ways. If he's going to preschool, let that be learning time and just focus on playtime at home. Besides, children learn best and a whole lot more than you realize through play. It's the work of kids.

If you talk to the teacher and they are concerned too, your school district should provide developmental screenings (it may be done at the county level, if that is the case the school district will point you in the right direction). Just tell them that you would like your child screened for early intervention. In WA, the school districts did this service, in PA the counties pool resources into Intermediate Units to provide this service.

I highly recommend you pick up this book https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D5TRS5I/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
It will help you to understand what motivates children and what's behind his behaviors and it will give you actual, easy to use tools to use with him. It's not just about out of control kids, it covers withdrawn or anxious kids too and it is written with humor and understanding of the difficulties of being a parent.

The important tips I would give you is to start acknowledging and naming his feelings. State them first before you go into offering encouragement or trying to help. Say, "I see that is very difficult for you. That must be frustrating." Also, completely back off when he's trying something new. Give him the roller skates, let him try and if he's getting upset say "It's okay to not get new things right away. We can try again later." Leave the new thing out and wait for him to bring it up again. If it's been a few weeks you can bring it up, but back off if he's getting upset. Rinse and repeat. I bought my 2 year old boots last month and wanted him to try them on. He'd put them on but refused to walk. I followed that strategy and it took a few weeks, but he eventually tried them and now he won't take them off! He is similar to you son in that he doesn't like to do things if he's not perfect yet. Kids with this temperament need to be given plenty of time to practice on their own and in their own way and then they usually surprise you one day completely fluent. My son barely spoke, but understood everything. People all around me kept saying he should be talking and maybe I should get him evaluated. I knew he was still in the typical range so I let it be. 2 weeks before his 2nd birthday he started talking in complete sentences and was instantly advanced for his age.

Good luck!

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

AA is for Quitters posted:

tips for getting a 2 month old to sleep in his own crib? i made the mistake of letting him cosleep when we moved last month and now he wont spend the night in the crib. he will nap in it fine, but as soon as i get in bed he cries until hes next to me. moving the crib out of the room is not an option.

also if hes advanced with physical milestones i shouldnt worry about the fact hes not cooing and rarely smiles, right? he stands on my lap, sits propped, holds his head up, and is generally pretty strong, but not social

Can you put him down in his crib and go into another room (or whatever you do for nap time) then go to bed after he's fallen asleep?

2 months is pretty young to be smiling consistently, I wouldn't worry.

kells
Mar 19, 2009

Bojanglesworth posted:

Well my kid's only two and she has seen mummy drop things on the floor, spill drinks, miss pages when we're reading books (she now says "whoops" when she does that herself :3). Failure doesn't have to be some huge deal like failing a test or not getting a job.

When kids watch you mess up they learn from how you handle it. Spill something on the floor? "Uh oh, we'd better get a paper towel and clean this up!" vs "GOD drat IT!!" - different reactions teach different lessons to kids.

Maybe you could try deliberately failing at things that your son can help you with? Maybe you just can't get your sock on today, or you can't seem to find a book that's right there on the floor?

quote:

Re: Dinner

I suppose I didn't quite explain what I meant by my statement about dinner. The point I was trying to make is that no matter the dinner, or direction, or suggestion, if it is something he doesn't want to do or hear, it turns into a full on anxiety attack. He isn't bad by any means, and he isn't throwing a tantrum, when I say anxiety attack I mean it. I have anxiety problems as well, and it seems like he is experiencing the same things I have.

Well the dinner example looked to me like him being upset that he was told his statement was false - he said he didn't like chicken, you insisted he did. Is this sort of thing (being told he's wrong) usually what he has anxiety attacks about?

You know you're right but do you really need to argue the point with a four year old? How about "Okay well you don't have to eat it. I'd like you to sit at the table with us though, it's dinner time." If he wants to say he doesn't like chicken today who's it hurting?

kells
Mar 19, 2009

He's still a newborn, I think at that age they still don't even understand they're a separate person from their mothers so I wouldn't be worried about him not being social. Mine didn't smile at all until like 4 months and I may have worried she was a sociopath. She isn't.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
re: stokke and climbing, we have a stokke and our little monkey ninja loves it. Unfortunately as she's almost 2 she also climbs into and out of it on her own because you can't always strap her in the kid insert part. Still worth it though.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
unfortunately, that doesnt work. my mattress has a weird spill resistant (but not waterproof...found that out the hard way when changing him on the bed) coating that makes getting into bed even gingerly loud. even when ive succeeded, if he wakes up and mommys on the other side of the bars he is...unhappy.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

unfortunately, that doesnt work. my mattress has a weird spill resistant (but not waterproof...found that out the hard way when changing him on the bed) coating that makes getting into bed even gingerly loud. even when ive succeeded, if he wakes up and mommys on the other side of the bars he is...unhappy.

Try playing white noise in the room to help drown out other noises. Although from my experience (I'm only at three months), it's pretty early to start solo sleep training. Can't hurt, but don't expect immediate progress.

No worries on the milestones. Everyone gets things at different paces. My guy was smiling at six weeks and now at three months can barely lift his head and can't sit up unless we support him.

Edit: we use a cheap white noise machine I had from work, but I really like the baby sleep sounds app on Android too as a free and more varied alternative that you could test out.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

notwithoutmyanus posted:

re: stokke and climbing, we have a stokke and our little monkey ninja loves it. Unfortunately as she's almost 2 she also climbs into and out of it on her own because you can't always strap her in the kid insert part. Still worth it though.

That's the best part of the Stokke for me! I don't have to put my two year old in - she gets in and out on her own. I regret buying a lot.of expensive or dumb baby gadgets, but the Stokke was worth every penny and then some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Bojanglesworth posted:

What I do with my kids (turned 3 on the 13th) is I leave them with an iPad and I let them use it, they find youtube and they find the kids teaching songs and they just gobble it up on their own. Preschool starts at 6 in finland and school at 7. Kids aren't really schooled before that age here. It hasn't left finnish kids behind in any way. Probably it helps that we don't force them to start with school and homework so early IMO.