Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Is a nearly 20 year old book about car ownership trends still accurate? If so it sounds interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
suvs are the highest selling kind of car again so i guess so

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Citizen Tayne posted:

People who pay through the nose for a pickup truck penis replacement have fragile egos, who'd have thought.

Auto writer Keith Bradsher wrote a book in 1999 called High and Mighty that goes into how trucks became the dominant domestic family vehicle and the problems this caused, it's a good read, go have a look.

Sounds like your small ego is shaped by other people's larger vehicles.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

Is a nearly 20 year old book about car ownership trends still accurate? If so it sounds interesting.

It's a historical book, so it's accurate unless 1960-1998 has changed since 1999.

Mozi posted:

suvs are the highest selling kind of car again so i guess so

Most modern "SUVs" are monocoque front wheel drive vehicles based on car platforms, i.e., they are actually minivans with aggressive styling.

Truck-based SUVs are mostly long since off the market.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Citizen Tayne posted:

It's a historical book, so it's accurate unless 1960-1998 has changed since 1999.

Most modern "SUVs" are monocoque front wheel drive vehicles based on car platforms, i.e., they are actually minivans with aggressive styling.

Sweet, got something new to read this week.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Citizen Tayne posted:

Wtf man, sure you can find an example lovely whimp suv, but there are tons that are 4wd based on pickup frames. Toyota builds their bigger ones on the tundra. Hell the RAV4 is lovely car-mini van but they are 4wd

Everything your saying is extreme and absolute, and therefore wrong.

Apr 7, 2003

Darth123123 posted:

Wtf man, sure you can find an example lovely whimp suv, but there are tons that are 4wd based on pickup frames. Toyota builds their bigger ones on the tundra. Hell the RAV4 is lovely car-mini van but they are 4wd

They're based on a FWD platform and are base FWD. AWD is usually an option, the RAV4 is the perfect example of what a modern SUV is.

The new Jeep Cherokee is a Dodge Dart minivan.

The Explorer is a Taurus underneath.

The Subaru XV Crosstrek is an Impreza.

SUVs based on 4WD truck platforms are a miniscule share of the market compared to what they once were, and that's a good thing, because they were unsafe and inefficient as hell.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

You can't fit a dead deer in a hatchback unfortunately. I mean, you could but...

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Being unsafe and inefficient should only be for sports cars damnit!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Darth123123 posted:

:lol: the pleasure you get from driving around like an rear end in a top hat in your giant truck has been forever poisoned by the knowledge that people are absolutely on to your poo poo, and I'm glad for it

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pastry of the Year posted:

:lol: the pleasure you get from driving around like an rear end in a top hat in your giant truck has been forever poisoned by the knowledge that people are absolutely on to your poo poo, and I'm glad for it

By his description you should be cowering at the roadside by now with tears streaming down as Expeditions drive past

Apr 7, 2003

I don't mind people driving giant trucks, since they're subsidizing small environmentally friendly liberalmobiles. Just remember that you're paying a premium to project a certain image and own up to it. Nothing wrong with that.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

What about all the women who drive trucks? Are they worried about their small peens as well?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I used to drive a '94 Pathfinder, which I liked a lot and took on many trails.

My in-laws drive a 2015 Pathfinder and it's literally a giant Altima :lol:

Apr 7, 2003

They certainly aren't driving them for safety, pickup trucks are demonstrably less safe for their occupants than most sedans or minivans.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
but when you make fun of truck owners for having small penises, you're just furthering the cycle of insecurity

if you wouldn't be mean to us, we wouldn't feel bad about having a small penis

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

JB50 posted:

What about all the women who drive trucks? Are they worried about their small peens as well?

They have small vags and are trying to attract small peens with their big trucks.

I don't have anything against truck drivers. I do find joy in watching them try to navigate in tight spaces though.

Also, watching them discover how poorly trucks do on ice.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

An over-reliance on selling SUVs and pickups is what almost killed GM and Chrysler. If only we could have been so lucky...

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Ein cooler Typ posted:

but when you make fun of truck owners for having small penises, you're just furthering the cycle of insecurity

if you wouldn't be mean to us, we wouldn't feel bad about having a small penis

I drive a Scion Xa, does that mean I have a GIANT penis?

Apr 7, 2003

JB50 posted:

I drive a Scion Xa, does that mean I have a GIANT penis?

Yes.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
I don't care for SUVs personally except the old bigass Blazers and Broncos and Scouts and Wagoneers and poo poo like that.

But I do love it when whiny nerds get mad about the cars other people choose to drive.

Apr 7, 2003

A few years back at a lovely party a drunken ex-cop got into an argument with me about something trivial, and told me he was a real man because he drove an F-150.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Citizen Tayne posted:

I don't mind people driving giant trucks, since they're subsidizing small environmentally friendly liberalmobiles. Just remember that you're paying a premium to project a certain image and own up to it. Nothing wrong with that.

Like any premium car (sports, luxury, etc) has the exact same thing, diff here is some truck touched you when u were young

Image is involved in everything purchased, but just maybe not the only thing

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
"B-b-but they're unsafe!!" So what, I don't drive one.
"B-b-but they get lovely fuel economy!!" So what, I don't pay to put gas in one.

Apr 7, 2003

two forty posted:

I don't care for SUVs personally except the old bigass Blazers and Broncos and Scouts and Wagoneers and poo poo like that.

But I do love it when whiny nerds get mad about the cars other people choose to drive.

Talking about the forces that shaped the domestic auto industry isn't "getting mad."

Besides, half of truck culture and poo poo like rolling coal is about sticking it to the liberals, which is just about the most "mad at nothing" thing possible.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Citizen Tayne posted:

A few years back at a lovely party a drunken ex-cop got into an argument with me about something trivial, and told me he was a real man because he drove an F-150.

Excellent gauge there. What should I drive? You know me so well! I want to shun my image

Apr 7, 2003

Darth123123 posted:

Like any premium car (sports, luxury, etc) has the exact same thing, diff here is some truck touched you when u were young

Image is involved in everything purchased, but just maybe not the only thing

We already went over why trucks are objectively more dangerous (to the occupants and to others) than, say, a sports car.

Sure is nice of truck buyers to subsidize cheap Priuses though.

Apr 7, 2003

Darth123123 posted:

Excellent gauge there. What should I drive? You know me so well! I want to shun my image

You seem really defensive about something that had nothing to do with you.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Citizen Tayne posted:

And on that day Tayne vowed to get back at those evil truck drivers...

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

two forty posted:

"B-b-but they're unsafe!!" So what, I don't drive one.
"B-b-but they get lovely fuel economy!!" So what, I don't pay to put gas in one.

The thing is, trucks are also unsafe to the vehicles around them to a degree other vehicles are not. There've also been studies that show definitively that the oft-repeated idea that driving a pickup or SUV makes you more likely to drive like a complete cockbag is, in fact, completely true.

They are poo poo vehicles for poo poo people.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Cubey posted:

An over-reliance on selling SUVs and pickups is what almost killed GM and Chrysler. If only we could have been so lucky...

Full-sized trucks have always been the bread and butter for any auto manufacturer and Chrysler was literally saved by the Caravan which went on to start the CUV craze. Virtually all of the domestic makes floundered because they could not deal with making a decent small car in a time when small cars stopped being stigmatized as cheap garbage. Their immediate response was to cost cut to the nines and produce lovely models like the Cavalier, Probe, and Neon.

Apr 7, 2003

Gay Weed Dad posted:

Full-sized trucks have always been the bread and butter for any auto manufacturer and Chrysler was literally saved by the Caravan which went on to start the CUV craze. Virtually all of the domestic makes floundered because they could not deal with making a decent small car in a time when small cars stopped being stigmatized as cheap garbage. Their immediate response was to cost cut to the nines and produce lovely models like the Cavalier, Probe, and Neon.

You mean the minivan craze, right?

Also the Cavalier was a German design, thank Opel for that. It was miles better than what GM made domestically (the Citation).

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
If you need a pick up for a real reason like you haul stuff a lot for work that's okay by me.

90% of people who drive a pick up do not need it, and also most of those are terrible drivers who think that they are somehow immune to damage just because they sit a foot higher than everyone else and tailgate/speed and weave through traffic like idiots.

Roylicious has a new favorite as of 18:57 on Sep 15, 2016

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Citizen Tayne posted:

You mean the minivan craze, right?

The minivan immediately segues into the CUV craze that occurs to this day?

Apr 7, 2003

Gay Weed Dad posted:

The minivan immediately segues into the CUV craze that occurs to this day?

Yes, minivans like the Explorer are very popular now.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Roylicious posted:

If you need a pick up for a real reason like you haul stuff a lot for work that's okay by me.

90% of people who drive a pick up do not need it, and also most of those are terrible drivers who think that they are somehow immune to damage just because they sit a foot higher than everyone else and tailgate and speed like idiots.

My favorite truck moment: It was the first snow of the winter in Wichita, so everyone goes out and dies. I was driving to work and there was a red truck on the side of the highway with it's front driver's side tire was about a quarter-mile down the road. The license plate said "Lucky 2"

Apr 7, 2003

People nowadays don't seem to understand how lovely cars once were. The Cavalier was a fantastic small car by the standard of it's contemporaries, and it was wildly successful.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Gay Weed Dad posted:

The Caravan did not save Chrysler. Being bailed out by the government and then being bought by Fiat did.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Citizen Tayne posted:

Yes, minivans like the Explorer are very popular now.

Except the Explorer is not a minivan it is a CUV; a car-based sport utility vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
It would be really cool if vehicles came in varying sizes and configurations to need the diverse needs of buyers. Those like me, who like simple, high quality sedans could purchase them and happily drive them for years. Conversely, those who prefer or require larger, smaller, or cheaper vehicles could also purchase and happily drive them too! Wouldn't that be great!!