Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

If it was, then where did all the white smoke come from?

Could have been a hopped up diesel with propane injection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

A lot of lpg vehicles are dual fuel, I think someone had a Saab in AI questions thread that wouldn't kick into lpg because a sensor was bad and and some kind of temp was reading too cold so it would only run on liquid gasoline.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

mobby_6kl posted:

Just came across an article by Matt Farah about Paul Walker's crash, and how old tires might have contributed to the incident: http://www.thedrive.com/opinion/5189/the-truth-behind-what-caused-paul-walkers-fatal-crash

Hopefully it doesn't surprise anyone that decade-old tires are super sketchy, but what I'm wondering is how bad they are. There's a pretty detailed paper here: http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/esv/esv20/07-0496-W.pdf but it has mostly to do with catastrophic failure and not reduced driving characteristics. FWIW: here's their results:

Matt Farah is a loving idiot - not because the old tires thing but you know.... maybe not doing 200kph+ on a suburban loving street might have been somewhat more to the point, no matter how fast you might be able to? The media might well be hanging poo poo on the driver for speeding because he actually loving was? Assholes need to keep it on the track, full stop.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah I've always been a fan of just ascribing to user error things that are the result of user error. A car got wedged under a suburban train here last night, killing both occupants, because the driver tried to beat the boom gates. People are talking about how there's not enough warning or the train speed limit is too high etc etc, but what it really boils down to is that an idiot driver killed themselves and their passenger due to impatience and stupidity.

Anyway, horrible mechanical failures. Stolen from imgur.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Memento posted:

Yeah I've always been a fan of just ascribing to user error things that are the result of user error. A car got wedged under a suburban train here last night, killing both occupants, because the driver tried to beat the boom gates. People are talking about how there's not enough warning or the train speed limit is too high etc etc, but what it really boils down to is that an idiot driver killed themselves and their passenger due to impatience and stupidity.

I guess he got to the fork in the road :q:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

You Am I posted:

I guess he got to the fork in the road :q:

And he took it too!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
I guess the first wish from the monkey's paw should be a new tire.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A literal use of "stick a fork in it"

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Fork in the road - more common than you think!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Memento posted:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Matt Farah is a loving idiot - not because the old tires thing but you know.... maybe not doing 200kph+ on a suburban loving street might have been somewhat more to the point, no matter how fast you might be able to? The media might well be hanging poo poo on the driver for speeding because he actually loving was? Assholes need to keep it on the track, full stop.

No doubt it wasn't the best idea to go that fast there, but he covered that and explained why that's not the point:

quote:

I’ve been to that office park, and I know that corner, and you can take that corner at 90 mph in a loving Prius, as long as you have tires that aren’t 9 years old. In a Carrera GT you could take it at 90, one-handed, while sipping a Venti Latte. I’m not saying you should be legally allowed to rip around an office park at 90, but from a technical sense, the actual cause of the crash was trash old tires. “Unsafe speed for the conditions” may have been the ticket Roger would have gotten if a cop stopped him, but that’s not what caused the accident.

People don't tend to die in low-speed crashes without really unusual circumstances, so if you want to play that game speed is almost always a significant contributor to a fatal wreck. Hell, almost every car accident that's ever happened beyond fender benders either wouldn't have happened at all or would have been less severe if one or more of the parties involved were going slower. The point is that given the road surface and shape, the vehicle, and the driver 90 MPH shouldn't have been a problem. I don't know that road to be able to say anything myself nor have I driven anything in that realm, but Matt Farah unquestionably has experience driving that kind of vehicle quickly on streets and tracks. Comparing that turn to corners I know from my favorite back roads it's completely reasonable to think a car like the CGT would be able to do what they were doing.

Let's say they had been at a track day. Same scenario, I'm sure there's a track with a similar turn (roughly 500 foot radius) somewhere. Let's also say the track is being run backwards, and like the track that Disney thing was using when the instructor died last year the safety systems weren't designed for that leaving the possibility of similar crashes. Everything else plays out basically the same. What's at fault?

To me, to call speed the reason requires a situation where it's unlikely or impossible that the maneuver could have been successfully completed while going that fast. Yes Roger Rodas was being stupid for doing 90 MPH there, but of all the many reasons it was stupid (risk to other road/sidewalk users, lack of good runoff if things go wrong, legality) none of them were "that's too fast to make it". No one's arguing that they weren't doing something stupid (I love going fast but come on, there are sidewalks and bike lanes, this is clearly not the place), rather that the speed didn't cause the loss of control, it only exaggerated what happened from there on out.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
There was a reasonable speed limit for that road, and they doubled it. Old tires may have made it happen, but I guarantee they would still be alive today if they hadn't obliterated the speed limit on a public road.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah it's a dumb argument. If had tripled the speed limit and crashed on fresh street tires, I'm sure he would blame the lack of race compounds in modern street tires.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

wolrah posted:

No doubt it wasn't the best idea to go that fast there, but he covered that and explained why that's not the point:
Just FYI, Cat Fornicator has a weird hate boner for Paul Walker.

Nocheez posted:

There was a reasonable speed limit for that road, and they doubled it. Old tires may have made it happen, but I guarantee they would still be alive today if they hadn't obliterated the speed limit on a public road.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Yes, there is a reasonable speed limit, which is developed for least-common-denominator cars, and then generally artificially lowered in order to provide revenue a margin of error. Accidents can and do happen at lower speeds as well as higher speeds, so that guarantee isn't worth much. I guarantee that I could get a CGT sideways below the speed limit.

I don't disagree at all on your final point.

Ola posted:

Yeah it's a dumb argument. If had tripled the speed limit and crashed on fresh street tires, I'm sure he would blame the lack of race compounds in modern street tires.
Yes, I'm sure the explanation would be different if the situation were different. That's how reality works.

I find it no small source of amusement that you implicitly acknowledge that if they had doubled the speed limit as they did and been on fresh street tires, it would not have been likely to happen, which was the original point.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ola posted:

SPORT CUP 2S FOR EVERYONE

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Krakkles posted:

I find it no small source of amusement that you implicitly acknowledge that if they had doubled the speed limit as they did and been on fresh street tires, it would not have been likely to happen, which was the original point.

Fine, be amused, but are you implicitly acknowledging that triple the speed limit is fine so long as the tires are good? Of course not, that would be ridiculous.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Wolrah was pretty particular to say that while speeding wasn't the direct cause, it's not ok, and I agree with his point, especially at those levels of speeding.

So no?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
All this talk about not speeding makes me think you guys lift? Pfft newbs you never lift.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Wide open til you see God, then brake.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Ola posted:

No, the argument makes completely sense. If you plan to drive fast make sure you have good tires. They were driving that fast because they knew they could drive the corner that fast. Unfortunately they didn't realize they had ancient tires. Frankly, I'm not surprised they made that mistake. If you are the kind of guy that likes to drive fast in Carrera GT how often would you drive in cars that didn't have brand new race-spec tires. They probably didn't even remember that tires could be bad.

This discussion reminded me of those iconic videos of cars sliding around in Northwest. I have driven on similar roads covered in wet ice doing 60+ km/h, under the legal limit. But my car had fresh Nokia Hakkapeliittas with studs, so I could sense that the road was slippery but I was always in control.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Saukkis posted:

No, the argument makes completely sense. If you plan to drive fast make sure you have good tires. They were driving that fast because they knew they could drive the corner that fast.

I'll step in to reiterate the point others are trying to make - just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. Walker's accident was stupid, reckless and preventable, and it's on Roger for going over the limit and not checking his tires, even if the tires were bad - for someone with so much supposed experience, that's a MAJOR oversight. No amount of bullshit is going to explain away that level of human error, he made a mistake and both he and Walker paid the price - period, end of story.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 16, 2016

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

All it's saying is check/know your tires. Not that it's not Walker's fault for not checking/knowing them.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
It's surprising the number of these high end cars that have old terrible tires on them. They are garaged and the miles are kept low, and the tires never get changed. A 10 year old set of Michelins or whatever were on the Porsche probably looked brand new and perfect if it was a low mileage collector's car.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Did you guys see my camshaft bearing?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

StormDrain posted:

Woof. What was that out of?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

StormDrain posted:

We'll keep an eye out for it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

wolrah posted:

People don't tend to die in low-speed crashes without really unusual circumstances, so if you want to play that game speed is almost always a significant contributor to a fatal wreck. Hell, almost every car accident that's ever happened beyond fender benders either wouldn't have happened at all or would have been less severe if one or more of the parties involved were going slower. The point is that given the road surface and shape, the vehicle, and the driver 90 MPH shouldn't have been a problem. I don't know that road to be able to say anything myself nor have I driven anything in that realm, but Matt Farah unquestionably has experience driving that kind of vehicle quickly on streets and tracks. Comparing that turn to corners I know from my favorite back roads it's completely reasonable to think a car like the CGT would be able to do what they were doing.

Let's say they had been at a track day. Same scenario, I'm sure there's a track with a similar turn (roughly 500 foot radius) somewhere. Let's also say the track is being run backwards, and like the track that Disney thing was using when the instructor died last year the safety systems weren't designed for that leaving the possibility of similar crashes. Everything else plays out basically the same. What's at fault?

To me, to call speed the reason requires a situation where it's unlikely or impossible that the maneuver could have been successfully completed while going that fast. Yes Roger Rodas was being stupid for doing 90 MPH there, but of all the many reasons it was stupid (risk to other road/sidewalk users, lack of good runoff if things go wrong, legality) none of them were "that's too fast to make it". No one's arguing that they weren't doing something stupid (I love going fast but come on, there are sidewalks and bike lanes, this is clearly not the place), rather that the speed didn't cause the loss of control, it only exaggerated what happened from there on out.

Sorry, but Farah has zero clue what condition the tyres were really in (let alone the fact he really has zero clue about much full stop) and is literally pulling excuses out of his loving rear end. No one living has any clue in fact as to the tyres. We can without any hint of an issue say that Walker and his mate should have been on a race track and not on a public street. And also no matter what the tyre condition and even if they still crashed, if they had been driving at the speed limit there's a high chance both would be alive today.

And I'll say that as someone who is more than well aware what old tyres do. But if your tyres are old..... then you ARE going too fast. It's exactly the same as if you go off a cliff because you forgot to brake on a corner. Too fast, full stop.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Woof. What was that out of?

1972 International 345, v8. Apparently a common problem. 1,3 and 5 looked like that, (#1 pictured). 2 and 4 were fine though. Found pieces in the oil pan, was reported by Blackstone, bearing material anyway.

Obviously replaced all of them.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

So my poor Dyson was going happily and all of a sudden went bang.

Well thats chooched...

Thats the HEPA filter, which is DOWNSTREAM of the motor, so that damage is from the brush pack exploding and spraying hot poo poo into the HEPA filter and setting it on fire!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Looks like it was pretty clogged beforehand, causing a high amp draw scenario for a long time.

Dysons are garbage, anyway. I mean, better than standard walmart fare, but Miele or similar have much more suction for longer.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
You shouldn't be driving on public roads in a manner that old tires should matter.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Geirskogul posted:

Looks like it was pretty clogged beforehand, causing a high amp draw scenario for a long time.

Dysons are garbage, anyway. I mean, better than standard walmart fare, but Miele or similar have much more suction for longer.

Thats POST motor that filter- and its pristine white on the other side and underneath the burnt fluff- intake filters fine too, cleaned out about 2 weeks ago. This poor things been hammered in its 6yr life tho... idiot housemate used it to vacuum water and mud out of his hilux after he flooded it, it lived its first three years in a house that didnt have a vacuum in it for the previous 10 years, and then we've used it 2-3 times to clean up the house while building it. Its also used a shop vac on the cars too...

We're getting another one today- this one with a beater brush to get the fuzz that the two cats have spread everywhere out of the carpet, and i'll jam an ebay motor into the old DC29 and it gives me a shed vacuum!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

nm posted:

You shouldn't be driving on public roads in a manner that old tires should matter.

Have you ever driven on them? Some are hilariously unpredictable and will cause absolutely poo poo handling at speed limit speeds.

Old tires are dangerous, and a thousand times more so on a motorcycle also.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

iwentdoodie posted:

Have you ever driven on them? Some are hilariously unpredictable and will cause absolutely poo poo handling at speed limit speeds.

Not that old, but I can't imagine they're much worse than cheap chinese all-seasons and people aren't flying off the road.
They may be unpredicatable and give no warning at the limit, but you shouldn't be near the limit on public roads.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Fix the flat tire, Frank! 2014 Lexus IS350 F-sport.

How about NO! It was leaking out of one of the bubbles forming in the worn areas. Yeah, new tire time!

I SUGGEST AN ALIGNMENT!

hahahhaha no back it out, it's a lease!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

0toShifty posted:

How about NO! It was leaking out of one of the bubbles forming in the worn areas. Yeah, new tire time!

I SUGGEST AN ALIGNMENT!

:stare: How. How is it that bad.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Did...did he stance a lease?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

The tires on my prius are going out and over the last month have begun squealing with the slightest provocation. In some ways it's funny to take a corner at 25 with tires howling but on the other hand if there's any wet or if I go on the highway I don't have much of a backup plan.

Never had tires drop off so rapidly. Usually my mechanic warns me the tread is getting low and that's my cue to start shopping, but I was in there in early August and they said everything was still in the green. Fast forward to September and they are toast. Granted I did put 4000 miles on them in that time but it still feels pretty sudden to me.

Either way I got new rubber lined up to be installed this week. Until then I'm pretending I'm on the Nurburgring.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Geirskogul posted:

Did...did he stance a lease?

That's toe wear :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

0toShifty posted:

I SUGGEST AN ALIGNMENT!

Umm... don't you still need to maintain a lease, like do alignments and replace tires and poo poo?