Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Gaspy Conana posted:

Thanks! I was just coming to post that. Here's the KS video in Youtube form:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2S-BWzwBdo

Woot! Just backed! Can't wait for this, Jay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Oh poo poo, Code: Hardcore put their kickstarter up finally :toot:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1609568567/code-hardcore-the-coolest-2d-mecha-battle-game

I'm totally sold on the idea of a 2D giant robot platformer, just on principle. The demo stuff just adds to it for me:

https://twitter.com/rocketpunchgame/status/720559713683841024

Finally! Feels like I've been waiting for them to launch the KS for months now.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Killmonday Games, creators of Fran Bow, are working on their next game called Different Galaxy, soon to be on Kickstarter.

You can check out their first DG dev vlog below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EKFthTXp2I

quote:

Hello, sweetened awesomener!

Time to update you in what’s going on in Killmonday Games and our future plans!

We have started our new game called Different Galaxy! YAAY! And with it, a new webserie about the development behind it. We will document the process of making the demo for our future kickstarter campaign to raise the funds needed to pay our awesome voice actors, translators, a sound person and one additional animator. The video series will also be for our own personal sake, to behold when we have released the game in like 3 years (estimated time!) because it’s always fun looking back. It’s like time-travel!

We always love to challenge ourselves in what we do, so we have chosen to try out Unity for this adventure, and we hope to be able to launch the game on the consoles as well as PC. The prototyping is already going well, Isak is learning C# like a mad nerd and Natalia is drawing in 4k, so you can get maximum immersion.

The game itself will be an adventure game where we are trying out a different approach to the gameplay. It will make you feel all kinds of emotions, challenge your brain, show you the wonders of our universe and beyond, and most importantly give you a fun time!

Stay curious, friends!

Isak & Natalia

It's uber cute, it's from Killmonday and it's got cats in it. I'm game.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I don't know where to post this, so hope you guys won't get mad. Remember Robert Pelloni and his "bob's game"? Well, he released it... sorta. Part of it, at least:

https://bobsgame.itch.io/bobs-game-puzzle-game

Just checked and he has a Wikipedia page and holy poo poo check this poo poo out:

https://bobsgame.itch.io/bobs-game-puzzle-game

quote:

On April 23, 2014, Pelloni launched the first and only Kickstarter for the previously-announced action-RPG Bob's Game, saying that if the crowd-funding venture was successful, he would invest the money to work from a "hack-van" in order to complete development on the title, and if not, he would put development of the game on indefinite hiatus. On May 22, 2014, with 17 hours left, the game was successfully funded.[17] Pelloni acknowledged this success shortly thereafter on his website. According to a Forbes article published in January 2015, the developer has given up on the project, and plans to refund backers.[18] However, on January 20, 2016, Pelloni denied this claim as he stated via Kickstarter that he had not permanently stopped working on Bob's Game, and had been pitching the game to investors and publishers, to no success. Pelloni cited an unstable living condition and extensive re-writes to the game's code as additional reasons for the delay.[19]

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Here's an actual link to the wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob%27s_Game

It's a must-read for those unfamiliar with the Bob's Game saga. Dude genuinely should have received psychiatric help years ago.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I like that after reading halfway down that article I still have no idea what the game is about or plays like

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Bob's Game is wonderful in that once a year a fresh batch of eyes learns about it and goes "WHOA WHAT THE WHAT :stonk:". It's a gift that will never stop giving.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

quote:

bob's game is a multiplayer puzzle game- but not just any puzzle game, EVERY puzzle game! It's a build-your-own puzzle game with a puzzle game creator where YOU define all the rules to your own custom game!

More than that, great care has been made to ensure that bob's game is the *best* version of every puzzle game. I went through every puzzle game forum and wiki I could find and made sure to implement every detail and feature required by tournament level hardcore players. It has wall kicks, floor kicks, spin kicks, T-spins, adjustable timing, powerups, you name it.

The rules of bob's game change in real time as you play it, morphing from game to game and making every round completely unique. Or you can choose to play just your favorite game type against your friends with fantastic controls, super tight timing, and features and powerups from other games.

:wtc:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Here's an actual link to the wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob%27s_Game

It's a must-read for those unfamiliar with the Bob's Game saga. Dude genuinely should have received psychiatric help years ago.

I'm almost convinced that Bob is some performance artist and this is his magnum opus.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Wamdoodle posted:

I'm almost convinced that Bob is some performance artist and this is his magnum opus.

If it is it better be because he's been loving at it for basically his whole working life.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Hey dude if you've never wanted to play a puzzle game with spin kicks and floor kicks, as well as powerups, I don't know what to say to

oh my god it hAS T SPINS TOO WHAT THE FUUUUUUCK

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Wamdoodle posted:

He already pulled the puppet master card after a gigantic meltdown once. Wouldn't be surprised if he pulled it again.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Bob's Game is Frog Fractions 2 in that it's never going to exist in any way beyond consistently loving with the viewerbase that threw money at it. it's been a stunt gag for years. they even revealed a bunch of the stuff about their attempt at creating a viral scheme some time ago.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Colon Semicolon posted:

Bob's Game is Frog Fractions 2 in that it's never going to exist in any way beyond consistently loving with the viewerbase that threw money at it. it's been a stunt gag for years. they even revealed a bunch of the stuff about their attempt at creating a viral scheme some time ago.

You can't honestly believe this. The Bob's Game guy is real and delusional. When he claimed that him protesting Nintendo was a viral marketing scheme he was lying out his rear end to make his temper tantrum look better.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Bob's Game (the puzzle game or the action rpg or the mmo or ???) certainly exists, as he's been releasing prototypes and videos for years, it's just never ever gonna be done because his scoping and delusions put even Star Citizen to shame.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Yodzilla posted:

Holy poo poo it's a new Metal Warriors.
Ha, exactly what I thought. Metal Warriors was rad. Fun fact: it's also an extremely rare SNES cart: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000035Y5W/

Gaspy Conana posted:

Thanks! I was just coming to post that. Here's the KS video in Youtube form:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2S-BWzwBdo
Not sure what is happening but I've just backed this game. Good luck!

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Thanks guys! Fellow goon Hot Dad just signed on to do some music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usB0TZZX438

He'll be doing 15-25 second ad jingles.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Gaspy Conana posted:

Thanks guys! Fellow goon Hot Dad just signed on to do some music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usB0TZZX438

He'll be doing 15-25 second ad jingles.

Oh my god, if I hadn't been sold from the start this would be it. But wait... Now I have to raise my pledge for the OST... drat YOU!!!! :kratos:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Colon Semicolon posted:

I thought Frog Fractions 2 was that one wonky airplane ride game that got on steam. Did that end up being wrong?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, it's not that. Once the gig is up, he's supposed to post about it and send people the copies they paid for, but that hasn't happened yet.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Also, if Frog Fractions 2 had been that plane game then man they would be really bad at subtlety.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hint: the gig is never going to be up, the real fractions 2 is the emergent arg of realizing he stole your money

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

An interesting/good-looking platformer kickstarter, but I don't know if a game kickstarter can pull in 300k without having a massively popular nostalgia-fueled brand name to back it up: Blubber Busters.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The name had me thinking of Bubble Bobble.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

StrixNebulosa posted:

An interesting/good-looking platformer kickstarter, but I don't know if a game kickstarter can pull in 300k without having a massively popular nostalgia-fueled brand name to back it up: Blubber Busters.

That's a good looking game. And hopefully that's the budget they need.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Zaa Boogie posted:

That's a good looking game. And hopefully that's the budget they need.

It sounds like a beginning-to-be-reasonable budget for a game, but given the current climate in kickstarter (thanks, MN9!) I don't know if they can pull that in.

I mean, the gamedev behind the upcoming game Jupiter Hell has been talking on twitter about how he will not be running the kickstarter for full amount, and using other sources to finance the rest as he simply can't pull off a kickstarter that's big enough.

https://twitter.com/epyoncf/status/773548588005818369

https://twitter.com/epyoncf/status/773551943918751748

(that entire discussion is fascinating and depressing)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
If they want investors, maybe they should try fig.

:lol:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

SupSuper posted:

Bob's Game (the puzzle game or the action rpg or the mmo or ???) certainly exists, as he's been releasing prototypes and videos for years, it's just never ever gonna be done because his scoping and delusions put even Star Citizen to shame.

Dang, I guess we just don't understand game development.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You can't honestly believe this. The Bob's Game guy is real and delusional. When he claimed that him protesting Nintendo was a viral marketing scheme he was lying out his rear end to make his temper tantrum look better.

he literally made a video showing the footage they did for pretending to go to the nintendo shop and drop cards everywhere, with all the different takes and such.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

StrixNebulosa posted:

It sounds like a beginning-to-be-reasonable budget for a game, but given the current climate in kickstarter (thanks, MN9!) I don't know if they can pull that in.

I mean, the gamedev behind the upcoming game Jupiter Hell has been talking on twitter about how he will not be running the kickstarter for full amount, and using other sources to finance the rest as he simply can't pull off a kickstarter that's big enough.

https://twitter.com/epyoncf/status/773548588005818369

https://twitter.com/epyoncf/status/773551943918751748

(that entire discussion is fascinating and depressing)

I think the well's been poisoned for years now. Good luck to the platformer guys asking for 300k but that's a super tall order unless they're veterans with a following (are they?). Game looks really, really good, too.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
That's not even the most anxious thread on Jupiter Hell---but drat it all do I believe in that project and the dude behind it as I know he's been absolutely busting it month after month for ages now in pursuit of this crazy thing as probably only he can do. This sort of project is exactly the sort of thing that really makes one hate the well poisoners from the early days up to now for making what was already a largely precipitous path with a hopeful glimmer at the end needlessly moreso to slake their base greed and vanity.

I know folks have been aiming for the stars in game dev since the 80's far beyond what most would consider to be contemporary reason, but with the stakes of nowadays and the outright inescapable heaps of capital to beget dev momentum only getting larger still---it honestly feels like there's been a systemic failing along the way that at least shaves, if not deeply cuts, the slim odds of the signature bolts from the blue that have been a key component all the while from happening.

Aterdux
Jun 8, 2012

On the way to Eisenwald
Eisenwald: Blood of November is at 67% and 4 days to go! Our recent update is about the quest system.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

StrixNebulosa posted:

That's the best game premise I've ever seen

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

quote:

Treating whales earns you cash! As you play, the whales who show up to your orbital "waiting room" will start exhibiting more and more acute symptoms; you'll have to quickly decide how to optimize your exploration for upgrades and needs for cash against the growing demands of your patients. Each patient effectively represents a level that will enable you to earn cash and test your fighting mettle.

IDK, it looks a little scattershot to me. Each whale that comes in is a separate level, so that makes me think procedurally generated. And then there's base building elements. And time management? It's all over the place.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

laserghost posted:

I don't know where to post this, so hope you guys won't get mad. Remember Robert Pelloni and his "bob's game"? Well, he released it... sorta. Part of it, at least

He's not been arrested yet?

"I am currently porting it back to C++ from Java"

He ported it TO Java?

Edit: The talk page for his wikpedia entry is fun - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Bob%27s_Game

Hav fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 15, 2016

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Probably he thought it would be a good fit for his imaginary console:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDOoAw_YajU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Modus Pwnens posted:

IDK, it looks a little scattershot to me. Each whale that comes in is a separate level, so that makes me think procedurally generated. And then there's base building elements. And time management? It's all over the place.

Honestly, my initial impression of it is that it looks a bit like Metroid Fusion. Like, it may have that add-on stuff but I'm here for solid platformer action. If they can actually fund it, that is. Kicktraq says that isn't possible, but I'd like to hope anyways.

Ocanthus
Sep 29, 2009

quote:

Treating whales earns you cash! As you play develop, the whales who show up to your orbital "waiting room" will start exhibiting more and more acute symptoms; you'll have to quickly decide how to optimize your exploration game for upgrades and needs for cash against the growing demands of your patients.

Sounds like an allegory for making F2p games

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/rocketpunchgame/status/776808880210780160

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Project Phoenix: Update #133, Sep 16 2016 posted:

Designing backer characters

Dear Project Phoenix backers,

Thank you for all the feedback in Update #132 "Release... the Kraken!". Many of the comments were very helpful in gathering valuable opinions on how we should start the story, which I believe is a very important point. It's important to talk and take opinions from all the backers as our gut feeling about what your opinion may be and what it actually may well be entirely different.

I have had the time to talk to Yoko about the comments posted from our last update and you all have given confidence in our decisions. Thanks again!

Here's a photo of Asami working on Rie's avatar concept sketch inside the game. We are currently working on what the best backer character design pipeline is for backers above the Civilian level. Hopefully by the end of the month, we should have completed our test trials and be able to start working on the character creation process with those selected backers.

Asami drawing a 3D reference sheet of our Project Manager, Rie, who is trying very hard to hide

Next update should also shed more light on the game music creation process, and finger's crossed, we may have a new track from Tomoki soon.

Apologies for the short update, but back to work we go. As always, thanks for reading!

Hiroaki Yura
Director / Producer of Project Phoenix