Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

greatn posted:

Yeah flip New Hampshire and that's a tie. Give trump the one district in Maine and that's a win. And NH has had some bad polling lately.
that's one way to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Cthulhumatic posted:

This is something that has bothered me about polling. Aren't they missing an enormous sample this way? I can think of maybe 5 people that I know with landlines, and they're over 50.

I want to believe but I also remember how dumb the poll unskewers were in 2012 so...:shrug:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

smg77 posted:

I want to believe but I also remember how dumb the poll unskewers were in 2012 so...:shrug:

Do you remember the Gallup drama as well?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

straight up brolic posted:

that's one way to win.

Pretty much the only way

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Clinton is losing FL at the moment.

Trump is currently up 0.7% in the Florida average. On election day Romney was up 1.5%.

With Trump's complete lack of ground game he's going to need to be way more if he actually wants to win the state.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

computer parts posted:

Do you remember the Gallup drama as well?

Wasn't that from 2010?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

here are the sparklines of relevant states. there's almost no way that New Hampshire turns

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

computer parts posted:

Show me a poll that's outside MOE.

Ah, you got me there. RealClearPolitics tracker shows polling for head to head and a four way vote splitting the vote between Trump and Clinton between 42-43% each. That doesn't fill me with confidence that this means it's a win for Clinton.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Cthulhumatic posted:

This is something that has bothered me about polling. Aren't they missing an enormous sample this way? I can think of maybe 5 people that I know with landlines, and they're over 50.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

greatn posted:

Crystal Head Vodka is what I'm going to be drinking.

Dude don't do that. That stuff's trash, even if Aykroyd came up with it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

greatn posted:

Wasn't that from 2010?

Nope:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/04/gallup-poll-2012_n_3384882.html

quote:

Here’s a brief summary of those issues, several of which The Huffington Post addressed earlier in more detail:

Misidentification of Likely Voters. Like most other media pollsters, Gallup attempts to determine which respondents are likely to actually vote in November, using a procedure developed in the 1950s that involves a battery of questions, such as how often they’ve voted in the past and how much attention they’re paying to the election. Last year, this likely voter model moved Gallup’s estimate of the margin separating Obama and Romney 4 points in Romney’s direction.

“That, in and of itself,” Newport said, “was at least 1 point more towards Romney than the average of other polls that were using some time of likely voter model.” Thus, “on that sense alone,” he concluded, “they moved things too far in moving the sample towards Mitt Romney.”

While Gallup is continuing to investigate its likely voter procedures with a series of experiments in the fall 2013 state elections, it pointed out one big issue in 2012: that many Obama voters said they hadn’t given much thought to the election, removing them from the likely voter pool even though they intended to cast a ballot. Gallup is researching whether it needs to majorly overhaul or even replace the way it identifies likely voters.

Under-Representation of Regions. Gallup also weights its data by a variety of factors, including broad geographical regions such as the Midwest and the South. But each region contains several time zones. Due to differing response rates, Gallup didn’t interview enough people in certain time zones within some regions, effectively undersampling states that vote more Democratic.

Faulty Representation of Race and Ethnicity. As HuffPost first reported in June 2012, Gallup in recent years has used an unusual method to ask about race that distorted the racial composition of its samples when the data were weighted. Unlike most other pollsters, who ask respondents to select from a list of racial and ethnic categories, Gallup asked respondents whether they identified with each racial and ethnic group one by one. This led to a disproportionate number of people who said they were multiracial, and that in turn distorted the weighting procedure, effectively giving too much weight to some white voters.

Earlier this year, Gallup eliminated the yes/no racial questions and made some additional technical changes to its weighting procedures. As a result, Newport said, “we [now] do a better job moving our sample to the parameters we have as our gold standard ... for overall race representation.”

Nonstandard Sampling Method. Before 2011, Gallup had selected phone numbers using random digit dialing, or RDD, which calls randomly generated numbers. This is the procedure that most national media polls have used for decades. As reported by HuffPost earlier this year, Gallup made a significant change in 2011, when it dropped the RDD methodology for its landline sample, using instead numbers randomly selected from those listed in residential telephone directories.

Gallup was alone among national pollsters in making this move, which promised to cut costs by eliminating unproductive calling to business lines and nonworking numbers. But the change came with a downside: Not everyone who has a landline has a listed number. Although Gallup’s initial research indicated that cell phone calls would cover the difference, they didn’t: The listed sample turned out to be older and more heavily Republican than the RDD sample.

Gallup is now in the process of switching back to RDD sampling for both landline and mobile phones, Newport said.

“Although in theory the use of the landline listed sample made sense ... it probably was a contributing factor to a skew of the sample that we felt was inappropriate, and therefore, we’re making that change,” he said.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

im trying fentanyl if Trump wins

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Prince was ahead of his time.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

the face of a man that pretends to know where the clitoris is

Dude looks like a bad videogame model. Dude looks like someone took a picture of a normal face and then projected it onto a basketball.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

btw polling on landlines/local area code cellphones will consistently miss a larger and larger number of liberal voters.

For instance, my family has lived in Austin for five years, all have 314 cell phones, and doesn't have a landline. We're not particularly unique or interesting. Changing cellphone numbers is annoying and land lines are a pointless cost.

It is very hard for me to take these assertions seriously (the same with WampaLord's language barrier assertion) because it makes me think of Trump's silent majority and/or undercover voters.

vvvvv I'm picturing CelestialScribe holding up a laptop with all the 'toxx or shut the gently caress up' posts about him after Trump wins vvvvv

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 16, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

It is very hard for me to take these assertions seriously (the same with WampaLord's language barrier assertion) because it makes me think of Trump's silent majority and/or undercover voters.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

7c Nickel posted:

Dude looks like a bad videogame model. Dude looks like someone took a picture of a normal face and then projected it onto a basketball.

He kind of looks like one of the random enemy faces you get in "Goldeneye."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

7c Nickel posted:

The... The Cyberdwarf?

Anyway I also don't want to go full unskewing but there does seem to be a difference between "this poll is just 6 points in the tank for Romney because c'mon, guys" vs. "perhaps they are underpolling younger people." I think they can correct for that with crosstabs or some other sorcery

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

gently caress it, I'm going out like spy, loosen a fake tooth and swallow that cyanide pill

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Except Truman would be Trump, in this scenario.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

No I mean it's a problem with the methodology of RDD and an increasing one. It's probably not that significant, but it's not election fantasy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

I remember what I was thinking of, the SurveyUSA scandal where they defrauded DailyKos by just making up numbers.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Cthulhumatic posted:

As much as the rural idiots in my state (PA) want to burn the world with Trumpism, the two bastions of civilization here will keep it blue.

Pittsburgh and Harrisburg?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

7c Nickel posted:

Mr Met's been cheating on Mrs. Met.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Periodiko posted:

Except Truman would be Trump, in this scenario.
I dunno, wasn't everyone predicting Dewey would win because the Democrats were too fractured and disorganized, as well as a significant involvement of third-party people sapping off some of the polls?

e: Then again Trump's the one with the garbage campaign apparently

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

the face of a man that pretends to know where the clitoris is

His head is almost a perfect sphere

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Pittsburgh and Harrisburg?

I meant to include Philly, but calling that civilization just seems wrong.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Cthulhumatic posted:

I meant to include Philly, but calling that civilization just seems wrong.

High five

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Trump won't win PA. Pittsburgh and the southeastern counties have done extremely well, and Trump has permanently alienated the high-income suburban voters in the Philadelphia suburbs who went Romney in 2012.

This is all horse race nonsense until Trump starts posting serious and consistent gains over Hillary in PA.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Just signed up for Volunteering in Cinci. I assume cold calling is the most helpful thing? I do it half the day at work so I'd rather not but it's what I'm good at.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

vvvvv I'm picturing CelestialScribe holding up a laptop with all the 'toxx or shut the gently caress up' posts about him after Trump wins vvvvv

Landlines/local area code cellphones, English only polling, and other possible issues pointed out as to why polls may overstate Trump's numbers include logical reasons as to why they may skew the results and pertain to all elections. Nevada for example is notoriously poorly represented in polls due to Latino voters routinely being MIA in polling due to a variety of factors that include hours worked and language used. The Silent Majority and undercover voters are based on pure gut feelings with no real evidence or logic to support why they would effect this election but not others.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

Just signed up for Volunteering in Cinci. I assume cold calling is the most helpful thing? I do it half the day at work so I'd rather not but it's what I'm good at.
I find that door to door is better in terms of impact, but possibly more life threatening

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Gyges posted:

Landlines/local area code cellphones, English only polling, and other possible issues pointed out as to why polls may overstate Trump's numbers include logical reasons as to why they may skew the results and pertain to all elections. Nevada for example is notoriously poorly represented in polls due to Latino voters routinely being MIA in polling due to a variety of factors that include hours worked and language used. The Silent Majority and undercover voters are based on pure gut feelings with no real evidence or logic to support why they would effect this election but not others.
One of these things makes Republicans feel better though

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

"In 2011, Mr. Trump was finally able to bring this ugly incident to its conclusion by successfully compelling President Obama to release his birth certificate."

Meanwhile in 2012, https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/232572505238433794

How the gently caress can literally a single person support this man?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Looking at various models right now isn't real useful because they have no idea if HRC is in a free fall, if this is a temporary blip, or if this is the new normal. The giant dip the last couple of days is too sudden for any model to react well to.

Anyone going POST A MAP should cool it for a day or two until we get a sense of what the hell is happening and models can react appropriately.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Why'd you repost this picture?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

FairGame posted:

Looking at various models right now isn't real useful because they have no idea if HRC is in a free fall, if this is a temporary blip, or if this is the new normal. The giant dip the last couple of days is too sudden for any model to react well to.

Anyone going POST A MAP should cool it for a day or two until we get a sense of what the hell is happening and models can react appropriately.
here's a thought: without further scandal, her numbers can literally not possibly be worse than they were when people were legitimately arguing that she was dead.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

FairGame posted:

We're constantly 4 minutes away from Donald Trump doing something like calling Mother Teresa a loser whore. Trump is the unwavering constant in the more than 1 year of this campaign, Trump is going to Trump, and by god is it going to be amazing for Hillary's numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

FairGame posted:

So you're saying we should stop all map-posting until we figure out what the hell is going on?

• Locked thread